Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Exdeath version 0.3.1 hsa been released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dang, that HP/ATB bar mod is cool. Any idea where they got it?

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Looks like it's some sort of lua script running in the emulator, looking at memory.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Don't have a link now but it's a LUA script on Samurai Goroh's site. It's the same site the memory addresses are, for the record.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I just got killed by a Ghidra in the ten steps between Archie and the next cutscene. :cripes: In honor of this, and to do something productive with the experience...

:toxx: $1 every time someone wipes after a difficult boss but before they can save. Yes, the Void counts. Limit one per player. Max of $10.

Use your best judgment and the honor system for what counts as "difficult".

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

This is really making me regret insisting on PSX for my first run this year..

Any info on what this "Waddler Rebalance" actually is/does? Google is turning up nothing relevant.

Edit: Looks like Waddler just posted it in #ffv-rom-alchemy on the FFVGoons discord. Wont link here to encourage people to join :getin:

vv Oh, well, there you go. Thank you!

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 25, 2021

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

zzMisc posted:

This is really making me regret insisting on PSX for my first run this year..

Any info on what this "Waddler Rebalance" actually is/does? Google is turning up nothing relevant.
Had to go digging in discord but here's the latest readme I found:

quote:

#Monk
- Attributes: Monk's base magic stat is now 24 (previously 1)
- Equipment: Monk can now equip Staff weapons and mage armors.
- Equipment: The Kaiser Knuckles now grant Always: Haste in addition to their other effects.
- Skills: Monks now gain level 4 !White magic in place of HP+10%
- Skills: Monks now gain level 4 !Spellblade in place of HP+20%
- General: Fists are now Magic Sword OK.

#Thief
- Skills: Thieves now gain Read Ahead in place of Find Passage. Find Passage is still innate to the Thief.
- Skills: Thieves now gain Long Reach in place of Sprint. Sprint is still innate to the Thief.
- Skills: Thieves now gain !Open Fire in place of Steal. Steal is still their primary skill.
- Skills: Thieves now gain !Combine in place of Vigilance. Vigilance is still innate to the Thief.
- Equipment: The Thief Gauntlets now grant +5 speed (previously +3 speed)
- Equipment: The Thief Gauntlets now grant Always: Haste. They are still only equippable by Thieves and Freelancers.

#Geomancer
- Attributes: Geomancer's base magic is now 52 (previously 48)
- Equipment: Geomancer can now equip Rods.
- Skills: Geomancers now learn Equip Axes in place of Find Pits. Find Pits is still innate to the Geomancer.
- Skills: Geomancers now learn Equip Rods in place of Light Step. Light Step is still innate to the Geomancer.

#Dragoon
- Attributes: Dragoon's base magic is now 35 (previously 12)

#Berserker
- Innate: Berserkers now have innate Counter so that the violence will continue even when off their turn.
- Innate: Berserkers now have innate 2-Handed so that the violence will be greater than ever before.
- Skills: Berserkers now learn Exp Up in place of Berserk. Berserk is still innate to the Berserker.
- Equipment: The Rune Axe has First Strike.

#White Mage
- Equipment: White Mages can now equip Hammers in addition to Staff weapons.
- Skills: White Mages now gain !Revive in place of MP+10%

#Red Mage
- Design Notes: Red Mage has been redesigned from the ground up. This was intended to fill their niche as a unique hybrid rather than a sub-par fighter and mage past world 2.
- Skills: Red Mage has been given the Mime treatment of having a base command, with three empty slots. Their base command is now !Dualcast, and they must slot in other commands to make use of it.
- Skills: Red Mages now learn !Red level 3 in place of !Red level 1.
- Skills: Red Mages now learn !Focus in place of !Red level 2. This is to facilitate being able to fight rather than being a pure caster.
- Skills: Red Mages now learn !Time level 3 in place of !Red level 3, which was moved to an earlier level.
- Skills: !Dualcast remains unchanged for now, being a 999 ABP capstone. Its cost to learn will reduce in the future.
- Equipment: Red Mages can now equip Flails and Bows in addition to their other weapon types.

#Summoner
- Skills: Summoners now learn !Call as their first ability, rather than !Summon level 1. Summoner learns the !Summon skills as they gain ABP in the job as normal, with the capstone being !Summon level 5.

#Knight
- Skills: Knights now learn !Blade Blitz in place of Equip Armor.

#Ranger
- Skills: Rangers have !Aim in place of !Attack.
- Skills: Rangers primary skill is now !Animals in place of !Aim.

#Monsters
- Drops: The Reflect Knight now has Reflect Rings in both drop slots.
- Drops: The Metamorph now has the Staff of Light in both drop slots.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

I want to believe it's possible, but as you say, 65,025 outcomes sounds way too low considering how much has to go in your favour.

You're doing God's Gilgamesh's work in any case.

Something I hadn't considered is that different equipment/stats could change the RNG as well, if someone is slightly faster or slower they'll be hitting the RNG counters at a different point, so I think the best I can do is say "this specific setup will never win".

If I can get the 65k outcomes running in a reasonable amount of time I'll try a few different setups, but according to https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/snes/588331-final-fantasy-v/faqs/30040 hitting with the rune axe is about 1/23 chance and it takes at least 10 hits to kill Omega that's a 0.0000000000034% chance even ignoring the other things that have to go right.

I did notice after changing Omega's evasion to 0 that the Titan axe can also hurt him if it hits, if that can happen in the unedited game it would let me have up to 3 damage dealers. Going into the sealed temple to get earthbreakers is also an option although I don't know if quadzerkers could pull that off even allowing for a switch to beastmaster/thief for the parts that require them

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Hi there! I'm the one making the Waddler rebalance and this is my first foray into game modding in general. I hope the people who choose to use the rebalance have fun with it, and if you find a bug or anything, please let me know!

Related :toxx:

$5 for every person who plays a Fiesta using my rebalance, up to a maximum of $100. I'll take your word on the honor system, but let me know what you think of it in general if you do!

Galick fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 25, 2021

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Galick posted:

Hi there! I'm the one making the Waddler rebalance and this is my first foray into game modding in general. I hope the people who choose to use the rebalance have fun with it, and if you find a bug or anything, please let me know!

$5 for every person who plays a Fiesta using my rebalance, up to a maximum of $100. I'll take your word on the honor system, but let me know what you think of it in general if you do!

these are very interesting changes, good rebalances to some classes that needed it. I'll probably use this for my fiesta run this year

maybe one day I'll get back to FF5r

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Galick posted:

Does your change to the Berserker account for the fact that Counter normally doesn't work for them, since the Berserk status prevents reaction scripts from triggering?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Does your change to the Berserker account for the fact that Counter normally doesn't work for them, since the Berserk status prevents reaction scripts from triggering?

...no it did not. Huh. I'll have to tweak that further later, thanks for pointing that out!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
I'm going to be cutting 0.4 tonight; since we now have three alterNEDs, I've added a Random option. (I'm posting this now to give people an opportunity to submit more NEDs so they'll get included.)

EDIT: it turns out that FFVEditor doesn't properly encode images larger than 120x120. 🙃 As a result I'm having to write a toolchain to do things the manual way.

EDIT 2: this is rapidly becoming a disaster. 0.4 will be going up the day after this poo poo works.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 26, 2021

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

AlterNEDs?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Galick posted:

Gonna make you pay up.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Alternative NED graphics.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Aerdan posted:

Alternative NED graphics.
Oh, cool.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Progress!

Here are the caveats for this kill:
  • Whenever Omega would normally choose between Atomic Ray and two other spells he always chooses Atomic Ray
  • Whenever Omega would normally choose between Wave Cannon and Delta or Blaster he chooses Delta or Blaster
  • Whenever Omega would normally choose between Rainbow Wind, Earthquake, or Maelstrom he chooses Rainbow Wind
  • Omega's evade% was dropped to 0
  • The Rune Axe hit% was raised to 100
  • The Death Sickle hit% was raised to 100 and the proc rate was changed from 33% to 100%
This simulates "perfect RNG" for those things, and even then I had to rewind and fiddle with the two RNG counters between some attacks to get Lenna to hit Butz with the death sickle to heal him.

I'm running the 65k variations on this modified version of the ROM to see if a kill ever happens, it looks promising, after 1192 variations Omega has gotten down as low as 3366 HP, just need one more good hit. This is mostly just to make sure my script is working properly, once it's finished I'll load a clean ROM I'm going to modify my setup a bit and see if I ever get more than a single hit in a "fair" fight.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1397492656415064064

We have success, so I'll actually cut 0.4 tonight (probably 20:00 US/Central).

Recommended dimensions:
- right NED: 128x136
- left NED: 72x104

No more than 16 colours per image, one of which is an alpha channel.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I assume all of Omega's counter attacks are manipulated into being either Rocket Punch or Encircle and then missing. Or how did you deal with those?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Samuel Clemens posted:

I assume all of Omega's counter attacks are manipulated into being either Rocket Punch or Encircle and then missing. Or how did you deal with those?

I didn't mess with the counters except for rewinding and messing with the RNG if they killed me, at 99 Encircle misses quite often anyway. Rocket Punch and Mustard Bomb are annoying, but 50% of the time they hit Lenna anyway. In retrospect it would have been easier with the other two as zombies too to increase my chances of them hitting Butz with the death sickle and eating counter attacks

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I let the clean ROM run over night with the same party setup just to see what happened. In 18,413 attempts the lowest I've gotten Omega is 47,634

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Aerdan posted:

https://twitter.com/aerdan/status/1397492656415064064

We have success, so I'll actually cut 0.4 tonight (probably 20:00 US/Central).

Recommended dimensions:

I have Done A Crime with this.

BEHOLD: NEO+X+DEATH.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Raitzeno posted:

This is art.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fiiine, I’ll make one.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Just pushed out version 3.2 of my rebalance! Here are the patch notes for 3.1 -> 3.2, and the github will be updated later today with the option to try it!

#3.2:
- Geomancer's strength has increased to 35 (previously 28)
- Dragoon now gains Lure in place of Equip Spears. This is intended to leave spears as a niche for Dragoons and Freelancers with their buffs.
- Dancer's vitality has increased to 22 (previously 14). This is to put it on par with mages.
- The Thief Knife's damage has been lowered to a base of 18. To compensate for this, it is now available in world 1 as a rare drop off of the fleeing Garula. The Thief Knife in Mirage is still available, but is similarly weaker.
- All spears but the Dragon Lance and Longinus have had their attack stat increased to lean into the Dragoon niche of hitting as hard as possible, but only once. They are similarly only equippable by Dragoons, Freelancers, and Oracles now. This is an indirect nerf to Gladiator I suppose.
- Longinus is now available earlier than the Sealed Temple, though it has been slightly weakened for this. It is now a rare steal from Stingray in World 3.
- Spears are no longer Throwable.
- Monks now learn !Drink in place of Counter.
- Dragoon's base strength has increased to 48 (previously 42)
- Geomancers can now equip Axes and Hammers.
- Oracles can now equip Spears and Knives.
- The Rune Axe's base attack is now 90 (previously 71).
- The Gaia Hammer now casts Quake 50% of the time (previously 25%)
#Bugs:
- Noted a bug where Berserkers cannot counter attack due to being Berserk. This will be fixed in a later patch.

And the spears (plus a knife) themselves:
- Equipment: The Thief Knife has been lowered to 18 base attack power, but is now available in Walse as a rare drop from the fleeing Garula. This is to facilitate early criming for parties that lack a Thief.
- Equipment: Spear's (Steal: Shell Bear) Attack value has increased from 25 -> 49
- Equipment: Javelin's (Steal: Sand Bear) Attack Value has increased from 55 -> 60, and is now a (Common) Steal from Bone Dragons. Sand Bears now have Ethers in place of their previous Steal.
- Equipment: Mythril Spear's (Karnak) Attack value has increased from 30 to 37.
- Equipment: Trident's (Jachol) Attack value has increased from 38 to 48.
- Equipment: Wind Spear's (Manticore, W2 shops) Attack value has increased from 44 to 52.
- Equipment: Heavy Lance's (Surgate) Attack value has increaseed from 54 to 57.
- Equipment: Partisan's (Ziggurat Gigas) Attack value has increased from 62 to 85.
- Equipment: The Holy Lance's (Weapon. Legendary. One of twelve of them.) Attack value has increased from 109 to 113.
- Equipment: Longinus' (Steal: Stingray now) Attack value has been lowered from 132 to 121. Its Strength bonus has increased to +5. It is now available before the postgame.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Raitzeno posted:

Change the BGM to X Gonna Give It To Ya.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Raitzeno posted:

I'm so glad this thread and community exists. :allears:

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Aerdan posted:

Recommended dimensions:

Raitzeno posted:

i feel like a terrible curse has been unleashed

godspeed

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I decided to set up a separate run with Earthbreakers since you can theoretically get 4 of them and they hit harder. When it hits Omega it can do 9999 so you only need 6 hits instead of 10+, it has an 80% hit rate instead of a 90% hit rate like the rune axe, but it still improves the chance to 1/244,140,625 instead of 17/500,000,000,000,000 because you need fewer hits which is a huge improvement and almost looks doable.

Theoretically if I try every RNG setup for 3,725 different setups there's a good chance of everything lining up, and each attempt takes only about 5 seconds so it could finish sometime in the next 40-50 years :v:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

I decided to set up a separate run with Earthbreakers since you can theoretically get 4 of them and they hit harder. When it hits Omega it can do 9999 so you only need 6 hits instead of 10+, it has an 80% hit rate instead of a 90% hit rate like the rune axe, but it still improves the chance to 1/244,140,625 instead of 17/500,000,000,000,000 because you need fewer hits which is a huge improvement and almost looks doable.

Theoretically if I try every RNG setup for 3,725 different setups there's a good chance of everything lining up, and each attempt takes only about 5 seconds so it could finish sometime in the next 40-50 years :v:
You're a goddamn superhero.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Jose Valasquez posted:

incoming final fantasy v omega% no A button world record :f5:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Some of my submissions

(ancient repurposed fanart for loon's quickfest years ago)

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Jose Valasquez posted:

FFV Four Job Fiesta 2077: Quadzerker finally beats Omega

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Add in the added struggle of trying to get deep enough in the Sealed Temple - already hell incarnate - with four zerks and it's already awful enough to compare the two impossibilities.

Ironically to all this, Shinryu is downright feasible not just with a quadzerk team but a solo zerker. Survive the Tidal Wave and he can't do much else to someone with bone mail/aegis shield/hermes.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

today in romhacking, the entire rom alchemy channel is on fire because everything broke

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Galick posted:

today in romhacking, the entire rom alchemy channel is on fire because everything broke

https://streamable.com/ampoye

Something horrible has gone wrong with the AP/XP/GP multipliers from exdeath 0.3.1!

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

https://streamable.com/ampoye

Something horrible has gone wrong with the AP/XP/GP multipliers from exdeath 0.3.1!

My first thought is that it has something to do with the AP Multiplier.

I'm not sure how this tool does it, but I know from past Fiestas that AP is hardcoded into enemy formations, and I've yet to find any kind of cheat code that actually affects it. That's why I ended up making a patch that only changes the AP awarded for every formation to 2x.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kheldarn posted:

My first thought is that it has something to do with the AP Multiplier.

I'm not sure how this tool does it, but I know from past Fiestas that AP is hardcoded into enemy formations, and I've yet to find any kind of cheat code that actually affects it. That's why I ended up making a patch that only changes the AP awarded for every formation to 2x.

Just tested it with the AP multiplier at 1x, still getting Byblos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Just tested it with the AP multiplier at 1x, still getting Byblos.

Guess that's not it, then.