Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Thank you! For some reason I had thought the Meshilicious had IO out of the bottom. Unfortunately no official seller yet around my part of SEA but something to look at down the line.

It's a weird one. They support the traditional GPU orientation where the ports are on the back of the case, but the max card length is pretty short. You can also rotate the card 90 degrees and the ports would be facing downward, but it's still technically inside the case and you'd need to route things out through the little cutout in the back, which may or may not require an angled cable connector depending on how long the card is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I just want to give a little shoutout to how good the dust filter mesh is on the NR200. Such a nice change to the absolute non-attempt of Corsairs old stuff.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

ijyt posted:

I just want to give a little shoutout to how good the dust filter mesh is on the NR200. Such a nice change to the absolute non-attempt of Corsairs old stuff.

The nr200 is just a really great case over all. If you don't mind being on the larger end of sff, it offers great hardware compatibility, excellent airflow potential, and it's downright reasonably priced by sff standards.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
is there anything similar to DAN SFX-A4 but built to handle oversized graphics cards like 3080/3090?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Paul MaudDib posted:

is there anything similar to DAN SFX-A4 but built to handle oversized graphics cards like 3080/3090?

If you mean Sandwich layout, yeah, there are a few options that move a notch up in size from the A4; the FormD T1, Winter One, and a bunch of Sliger's offerings should fit the bill depending how big you want to go. Just be aware that the 3080/90 FE cooler design isn't a great match for the layout. (Most other cooler designs are fine though).

There's also this watercooled A4 variant that may be availiable someday?
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lian-li-dan-a4-h2o-update-07-05-2021.16201/

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

CaptainPsyko posted:

If you mean Sandwich layout, yeah, there are a few options that move a notch up in size from the A4; the FormD T1, Winter One, and a bunch of Sliger's offerings should fit the bill depending how big you want to go. Just be aware that the 3080/90 FE cooler design isn't a great match for the layout. (Most other cooler designs are fine though).

There's also this watercooled A4 variant that may be availiable someday?
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/lian-li-dan-a4-h2o-update-07-05-2021.16201/

I assume 3090 also doesn't do too well since there's probably no airflow over the backplate/VRAM chips?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
I had to get rid of my Sliger SM550 case, because I have a 3080 and nothing I did could stop my computer from overheating. I don't even know exactly what was overheating, since GPU and CPU temps were alright.

I would just be playing a game and get a bluescreen, and no indication from the error what died.

I moved to an Ncase M1 and have no more issues.

You really do not want a 3080 + sandwich style, unless you have a way to really move hot air out of the case.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Paul MaudDib posted:

I assume 3090 also doesn't do too well since there's probably no airflow over the backplate/VRAM chips?
You can fit a 120x15 mm fan under the mainboard in the A4 (including the future revision / optional side panels that allow for 2.5-slot cards, not sure about the Lian Li A4 H2O) which I think would help with that.

The main problem is the RTX 3000 FE through-fans are trapping hot air behind the card, people got significantly better temps by removing the plastic sheet between mainboard and GPU, and adding a few mm with taller standoffs. But that only works if you're not using every last mm to fit the GPU in the first place.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I'm not talking about FE cards here, just a conventional axial cooler

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah a bottom fan should help with that (also a bunch of 3rd party coolers have cutouts in the backplate for the last fan to blow through, similar problem as the FE).

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

The NCase M1 is such a good overall SFF case. That design has held up so well and is pretty easy to work in.

It does present some limitations on GPU size. IIRC some of the bigass 3000-series MSI cards can't fit. I had to temporarily remove the front I/O to slot in the Asus 3080 comfortably.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

denereal visease posted:

The NCase M1 is such a good overall SFF case. That design has held up so well and is pretty easy to work in.

It does present some limitations on GPU size. IIRC some of the bigass 3000-series MSI cards can't fit. I had to temporarily remove the front I/O to slot in the Asus 3080 comfortably.

Apparently the Ventus is perfect for deshroud. I feel like I had a 3090 in my cart and didn’t pull the trigger because initial reports said it wouldn’t fit. Who knows though, probably would have retired out.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mistikman posted:

I had to get rid of my Sliger SM550 case, because I have a 3080 and nothing I did could stop my computer from overheating. I don't even know exactly what was overheating, since GPU and CPU temps were alright.

I would just be playing a game and get a bluescreen, and no indication from the error what died.

I moved to an Ncase M1 and have no more issues.

You really do not want a 3080 + sandwich style, unless you have a way to really move hot air out of the case.

I have an SM580 (so, admittedly a bit roomier, but still a sandwich) and a gigabyte 3080, and it rarely gets above 80 degrees at full load.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

CaptainPsyko posted:

I have an SM580 (so, admittedly a bit roomier, but still a sandwich) and a gigabyte 3080, and it rarely gets above 80 degrees at full load.

It's specifically the founders edition cards that are bad in sandwich layout cases because the passthrough airflow has nowhere to go. The non FE cards are perfectly fine as long has you have a well vented side panel (for intake) and if you have top and or bottom fans, they are exhaust to match the airflow pattern of a typical card.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I think with the 30 series cards “stayed in the 80s at full load” isn’t really a good measurement of your thermal performance because they pretty aggressively downclock themselves to stay in the low 80s. So if it gets up into the 80s, load will stay the same, but it will downclock to keep the temps from going up past 80something.

A better measurement is what clock speed it’s running consistently at when it’s up at its temperature peak, whatever they may be in your system.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

True, although I read "rarely gets above 80" as high 70s, not low 80s.

Says nothing about noise, clocks, or power though so in a vacuum just a temperature number doesn't mean that much. I've seen plenty that suggest well ventilated sandwich should be fine for AIB 3080 and 3090 series cooler designs though.

Anyone doing sff with a 330+w ampere card should consider undervolting though. I think I cut my power consumption by like 25% and lost less than 10% of the performance.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Apparently the Ventus is perfect for deshroud.

I learned the word "deshroud" from this post and was bored during meetings this afternoon so attacked my PC with some spare parts. The GPU is now wearing a couple of mismatched colour Noctua 92s and the noise it makes is way better. Thanks!

Going to need to revise what I've done as one of the fans was intended for the CPU cooler and I don't want one brown and one black fan on the GPU. I see all sorts of opinions out there, but any idea what's the best practice for doing this? 92mm fans blowing into the cooler? 120mm? or exhaust?

The setup is a DAN-A4 with a MSI 1070ti and an i7-8770. Currently 2x Noctua 92x14s on intake to the 1070, a Cryorig C7, and a Noctua 92x25 exhaust on the bottom. The CPU fan is not horrendous but is for sure the loudest part of the computer at the moment. Playing games the GPU is sitting at 71 deg C and seems pretty happy.

I read that the 92mm fans can be better than the 120s as they have higher static pressure and are better at pushing air through a restriction like the GPU heat sink. Currently thinking to go with 3x 92mm on the GPU, one 92 on the CPU instead of the noisy original fan, and keep the 92x25 as an exhaust on the bottom. Any ideas?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

knox_harrington posted:

I learned the word "deshroud" from this post and was bored during meetings this afternoon so attacked my PC with some spare parts. The GPU is now wearing a couple of mismatched colour Noctua 92s and the noise it makes is way better. Thanks!

Going to need to revise what I've done as one of the fans was intended for the CPU cooler and I don't want one brown and one black fan on the GPU. I see all sorts of opinions out there, but any idea what's the best practice for doing this? 92mm fans blowing into the cooler? 120mm? or exhaust?

The setup is a DAN-A4 with a MSI 1070ti and an i7-8770. Currently 2x Noctua 92x14s on intake to the 1070, a Cryorig C7, and a Noctua 92x25 exhaust on the bottom. The CPU fan is not horrendous but is for sure the loudest part of the computer at the moment. Playing games the GPU is sitting at 71 deg C and seems pretty happy.

I read that the 92mm fans can be better than the 120s as they have higher static pressure and are better at pushing air through a restriction like the GPU heat sink. Currently thinking to go with 3x 92mm on the GPU, one 92 on the CPU instead of the noisy original fan, and keep the 92x25 as an exhaust on the bottom. Any ideas?

Best set up is both fans blowing down, and hopefully 120mm instead of 92mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUaZVpN51Po

Reality
Sep 26, 2010

knox_harrington posted:

I run exhaust bottom and intake on sides based on what I’ve read on reddit and smallformfactor.net. Switching the bottom fan around is a huge pain in mine so I haven’t tested it.

No idea about 3x92mm vs 2x120mm but I would watch your youtube video about it. I run 2x120mm as intake on my 5700XT and temps are fine. 2x120mm cover more surface area but 3x92mm would probably cool the heatpipes better since you could get 36mm longer coverage, depending on your GPU’s heatsink. I have no idea how to math the pressure differential. Maybe get like 18x40mm and test that too?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Best set up is both fans blowing down, and hopefully 120mm instead of 92mm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUaZVpN51Po

Thanks. Yeah I saw that one, it's nicely presented.

I did also see this video which recommends to match the fan size to the heat sink size https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtVOGLOqB6o

Hard to tell what's best. I suppose if you go for the 120s the additional airflow isn't going to go to waste.

Reality posted:

No idea about 3x92mm vs 2x120mm but I would watch your youtube video about it. I run 2x120mm as intake on my 5700XT and temps are fine. 2x120mm cover more surface area but 3x92mm would probably cool the heatpipes better since you could get 36mm longer coverage, depending on your GPU’s heatsink. I have no idea how to math the pressure differential. Maybe get like 18x40mm and test that too?

Are you using a Dan-A4 as well?

I think I could fit more of these ones https://www.scan.co.uk/products/xclio-atrcoovga01-vga-general-heatsink-cooler-with-35mm-fan-quiet-with-2-pin-power-connector

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Usually people go with the 120mm because they assume there will be less noise. The difference shouldn’t be huge whichever way you decide to go.

I will say that when I am gaming, and the fans facing down, I can feel the heat on the desk.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I decided to go with 3 of the 92mm fans. Despite the cable ties :v: I think it looks a load cleaner than the stock fans.

While I was in there I repasted the heat sink, between that and the new fans the GPU temp is 10°C down since yesterday's 2 fan version and 15° from stock.

Next steps, I ordered some custom PSU cables to try and reduce the amount of spaghetti in there but the UPS delivery is being extremely leisurely and has taken several weeks so far. The main noise is from the CPU still and I have a spare 92mm for that as well. I was going to cable tie it on but may order a 3D printed clip.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Good poo poo

tbh the zip ties aren't really noticeable imo

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh, wonderful. The power button on my NR200 is now frequently requiring a few presses to actually work. This is probably a case thing, right?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Thinking about rebuilding my current rig in to a SFF form factor and looking for recommendations, specifically:

1) mITX AM4 mobo with wifi and bluetooth on board edit: forgot to add, this is driving a 2600X so no need for anything crazy, but would like one USB-C port at least.

2) a case that will be compatible with an ATX form factor PSU. GPU is a 1650 Super so that's not too much of a concern in terms of space. I would like space in the case to go to a bigger GPU at some point but I doubt I'll ever be trying to run top of the line beefy cards. I don't care about being tiny, just small enough to sit on my desk without taking up a huge footprint. Budget I figure up to about 200 bucks though if there's a compelling reason to spend more I'm open to ideas. I am willing to pay more for higher quality. I see the NR200 getting recommended, also have looked at the Meshilicious that will be out soon as well as Ncase M1. Are there any other options that are particularly good, or people who have strong opinions? Give me your takes!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 26, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
ATX PSU is going to be a tremendous limiter; I would just go with the NR200 if you insist on it.

As for AM4 mobo, the usual suggestion is to B550 because you don’t have more pcie slots to use more pcie4 lanes anyway. Out of those, the gigabyte is the best if you don’t care about front panel usb c and also is usually the cheapest of the full featured options.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Cross-Section posted:

Oh, wonderful. The power button on my NR200 is now frequently requiring a few presses to actually work. This is probably a case thing, right?

Or your motherboard is dying, but probably an issue with the button itself.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I had a Node 304 which will take an ATX power supply. To be honest I would just get a new SFX PSU and just swerve that issue.

The 304 was OK but I didn't love it, the Dan-A4 I'm using now is smaller, cooler and quieter. It's also a bit over $200 but there are other similar options.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

blah I have a nice new and fairly good Seasonic FOCUS Gold 750W PSU but you guys are probably right

and if I do that I open up to a Thrilling world of poo poo like the Dan A4 so maybe that is the way to go.

Rhaka
Feb 15, 2008

Practice knighthood and learn
the art that dignifies you

Cross-Section posted:

I'm having the same issue on a NR200P bought in December, so it's probably a case thing.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Got deep in a rabbit hole on open cases (eg XProto-L). They look cool. I can re-use most of my ATX components other than the motherboard. I don't have pets or kids. What's the real downside?

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Got deep in a rabbit hole on open cases (eg XProto-L). They look cool. I can re-use most of my ATX components other than the motherboard. I don't have pets or kids. What's the real downside?

None really. Just gotta clean it more often than you would a normal case. I don't have pets or kids either and I was using a Thermaltake Core p3 years ago and I was cleaning dust off parts like every week.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Deshrouded my Alienware 3080 and tossed it into my M1. Complete with pencil eraser to eliminate sag.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

VulgarandStupid posted:

Deshrouded my Alienware 3080 and tossed it into my M1. Complete with pencil eraser to eliminate sag.

I think you should rejig that so the fans are in contact with the heatsink fins, otherwise you're losing a lot of airflow through the cooler. You may need to bend those tabs back a bit.

What are the temps like ?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

knox_harrington posted:

I think you should rejig that so the fans are in contact with the heatsink fins, otherwise you're losing a lot of airflow through the cooler. You may need to bend those tabs back a bit.

What are the temps like ?

Temps seemed fine like this, I can feel the hot air all over my desk. I really wanted to avoid bending the tabs, as I supposedly have an HP system coming in and was hoping maybe it had a better de-shrouding situation/more aluminum.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
This seems pretty interesting for a USFF gaming rig for the lazy human.

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-to-announce-nuc-11-extreme-beast-canyon-with-tiger-lake-h-and-full-length-discrete-gpu-support

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
I know this is the SFF thread, but I figure this is the best place to ask my airflow question.

I just bought a Fractal Design 7 for a new 5600X build. I'm reusing a 1080 Ti with an ARCTIC Accelero Xtreme IV cooler, so not a blower. I've been reading about case fan configurations but I don't really know good advice from bad. Are there general recommendations I could follow, or could someone link me to a good resource?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
There are a couple options with case fan set ups: more in than out, more out than in, equal out and in.

I've always done equal out and in up until my ncase m1, where I have two slim fans feeding cool air to my video card, and then a single fan blowing in over my cpu.

As long as your case temps are not spiking hugely, idk that it really matters. Just play around with set ups until you find something that works for you.

Also I'm not a case fan scientist. All my advice could be horrible and wrong.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

What's optimal is going to vary a lot from case to case, but iirc, fractals define series doesn't really present many options beyond a pretty standard front to back positive pressure setup, unless they're still doing that top moduvent thing where you have the option to open the top vents and even then...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dodecahardon
Oct 20, 2008
Oops, I meant Meshify. I bought the Define before realizing it was more compact than a typical mid tower.

I guess I just need to experiment like LordAdakos said, but I was curious if there were principles to follow with regards to push/pull configurations and static pressure and all that crap.