Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Here's a little tip for LG C1 owners who have a Nintendo Switch hooked up:
  • Set 'Color Gamut' to 'Native'
  • Set 'Gamma' to '1.9'

The Switch looked awfully dull until I figured out those two settings for the HDMI input it was using. I know that's not what places like rtings.com tell you to do but most of their advice is probably geared towards film content.

HDR games sure look amazing on the C1 but SDR games always seems to need some extra tweaking so they don't look broken.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Yeah definitely use Native Colour; almost all modern panels have a wider color gamut than sdr content calls for and it really makes things look good.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I had a similar problem with the PS5's HDR setting. There are two options:
  • HDR always on
  • HDR on only when supported.

Everyone talked poo poo about the always on feature because it "tone mapped" SDR content to HDR. Like it messed with the original creative vision or whatever so I set it to "only when supported" at first. Well SDR games looked awful, washed out, and broken. Literally worse than my seven year old Sony LCD. I turned it back to "always on" and things looked amazing again.

Is that another example of advice for film content being a poor fit for video games? Or am I just so wowed by my OLED TV that I'm cranking everything up too high?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

If you've done even a basic color and brightness calibration, it's just the natural beauty of the panel standing out. Enjoy it. :cheers:

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly
Hey TV thread. I'm in the US and looking to buy a nice new LG OLED TV off Memorial Day sales. But I'm new to most of this stuff - I haven't owned a TV for 6-7 years, just decent computer monitors - and would appreciate feedback before I splurg here.

I used rtings.com and determined I'd like one of the LG OLEDs. I intend on connecting the TV up to my nearby PC to watch movies/streams and play games on. I don't have a super high-end PC (video card is a GeForce RTX 2070) but gaming is my primary hobby.

I'd like a 55" TV but am willing to jump to 65" if there is a good deal. I might have found one: Amazon is selling a 65" LG BX OLED for $1,696.99, $300 off. This is the rtings.com review https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/bx-oled

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829RMHCM?tag=rtings-20&ie=UTF8

Should I pull the trigger on this one?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Personally I went with the CX since it's slightly brighter, has four HDMI 2.1 ports instead of two and is the one that has the most settings posts and videos made about it (nice to be able to use that info 1:1). The BX is by no means a bad TV, it's a personal decision if you want to upgrade to something slightly better that you might own for five years or even more.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

I did read about the brightness, yeah. I wish I had a good comparison point. My apartment lighting isn't too bright, and I don't get a ton of city light in my windows, but yeah, extra brightness and ports could be one of those things I would miss in retrospect.

Costco has the 65" LG CX OLED for $1,849.99. Same price Amazon, but Costco throws in a free protection plan, which is nice. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0817H41YN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

$250 isn't too bad a difference. I don't have any consoles I plan on connecting to the TV.

Does anyone think that a price drop might happen on the LG CX OLED closer to the weekend?

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
This is what the price history of the 65" CX looks like for Amazon* fwiw:

Prices are pretty low in general right now, and Black Friday seems to be the only one-off in terms of discount vs price trend.

*3rd parties.

kliras fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 25, 2021

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

Ahh okay then. Seems like a solid price. I'll probably wait a day or two just to mull this over, but strong bet I'll go with the LG CX. Thanks for the input.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I have a question for LG TV owners about the HDMI-CEC (the thing that lets devices control your TV via HDMI)

Here's what I want to happen and what used to happen with my old TV:
1.) I turn on my PS5 .
2.) The TV turns on.
3.) The TV switches to the PS5's HDMI input.

Here's what's actually happening:
1.) I turn on my PS5.
2.) The TV turns on.
3.) The TV turns on my Apple TV because that was the last HDMI input I was using.
4.) The TV tries to switch to the PS5's HDMI input but the Apple TV keeps trying to switch it back to itself.

Any way to tell the TV to change to the correct input BEFORE trying to power stuff on?

Edit:
I think I got the behavior I was after by disabling this setting:
General/Devices/TV/Quick Start +

But now everything is much slower to turn on and my ARC speakers don't always turn on. I guess the TV wasn't actually turning all the way off with Quick Start + enabled. It was just some sort of stand-by mode.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 15:33 on May 26, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Had a fun one last night, brought up a youtube video on my phone from the Sopranos thread and casted it to the TV via the Shield. When I'd turn off my phone, the video (on the TV) would pause. Every time. No matter which sequence of playing and turning on/off I used, it would pause itself after a few seconds. I ended up having to just find it manually in the yt app on the Shield and watch it that way, not before seriously considering dismantling every possession I owned and descending upon the wilderness for perhaps the rest of my existence

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

codo27 posted:

...not before seriously considering dismantling every possession I owned and descending upon the wilderness for perhaps the rest of my existence

Feeling this more and more.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Compromise: dumb monitors for everything.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speaking of AppleTV, I got one of the new ones yesterday and it's...fine?

I mean, I mostly burned Best Buy rewards points on it so it didn't cost me much, but it hasn't been the second coming of streaming like I feel people were hyping up.

The auto framerate switching works well enough, when its enabled on the app level. It's just that there are several apps where it is not. Most channel provider apps that have commercials seem to lock in the base refresh rate (likely to prevent blanks during commercial switching), but Roku matches framerates in those apps. Peacock is another one that locks in the base framerate and auto-switches which is annoying.

Hulu does auto framerate switching (which seems to be disabled on Roku) but lacks 5.1 sound still.

The Movies Anywhere app doesn't recognize it as a 4k capable device. That's not a huge issue since there are multiple other ways to watch the movies, but still annoying.

My movie library in the YouTube app (formerly those movies were in the Google Play Movies app) lacks 4k or 5.1.

Also, what's up with the ATV decoding DD and DD+ streams and sending it to a receiver as multichannel PCM? In the end it shouldn't matter, but it's just weird. Atmos comes through properly though.

So, yeah, the one great streamer to rule them all doesn't exist. If Hulu had 5.1 and peacock had native framerate, this would be a lot closer. But for now it's mostly being able to use netflix and have a 60hz UI while having correct 24hz and 23.976 hz framerates without having to do manual switching like I do on the Shield. Hulu remains something I use my LG's internal WebOS on as there's no external streamer that does native framerate, 4k (on Hulu originals), and has 5.1 sound.

In summary.

Netflix:
ShieldTV- 5.1 and Atmos, can select native framerate manually by setting at a system level
GoogleTV-5.1 and Atmos, can only select 23.976 framerate manually at the system level, 24hz content will glitch
ATV- 5.1 (as multichannel PCM) and Atmos, auto switches framerate
Roku- 5.1 and Atmos, locked at 60hz

Amazon:
ShieldTV- 5.1 and Atmos, can select native framerate manually by setting at a system level
GoogleTV-5.1 and Atmos, can only select 23.976 framerate manually at the system level, 24hz content will glitch but is rarer on Amazon
ATV- 5.1 (as multichannel PCM) and Atmos, auto switches framerate
Roku- 5.1 and Atmos, auto switches framerate

Hulu
ShieldTV- 2 channel PCM surround only, attempting to select framerate other than 60hz causes massive AV sync issues
GoogleTV- 2 channel PCM surround only, attempting to select framerate other than 60hz causes massive AV sync issues
ATV- 2 channel PCM surround only, auto switches framerate
Roku- 5.1 but 60hz locked framerate
WebOS-5.1 and native framerate, some audio sync issues occur when the soundtrack is surround rather than 5.1

Peacock:
ShieldTV- Surround (some report 5.1), can select native framerate manually by setting at a system level
GoogleTV- Surround (some report 5.1), can select native framerate manually by setting at a system level
ATV- 5.1 (as multichannel PCM), locked at base display framerate
Roku-5.1, auto switches framerate

Other apps like Disney+ and HBO max appear to be mostly working to the full capabilities of the devices aside from GoogleTV appearing to only get HDR10 rather than DV for some reason (or maybe it's getting DV but not Atmos, I can't remember).

Some other notes:
Auto framerate switching on Hulu used to work on Roku, but it glitched sometimes and ended up zooming the screen, I wonder if they locked framerate rather than deal with the glitch.
GoogleTV is the only streamer that has a 1080i60 mode which has the broadest compatibility for 1080 SDR content for displays as often times motion engines were optimized around cable box outputs. I can set to 1080i60 and get native 24fps cadence on a wide range of material with my LG C6 without needing framerate switching.

In summary, streaming is hard if you want correct motion cadence and the highest output among all the services. There is no one box that gives you the best set of features across all platforms. Things are slighter better if you have a TV with a good motion engine that doesn't need native framerate.

Adding the ATV to my 4 other ways of streaming on my home entertainment system added few QoL enhancements (mainly 60hz UI) but didn't actually allow me to do anything I couldn't before. The unified list under channels WOULD be killer IF Hulu ad Peacock had correct/best output and netflix was represented there. But the later isn't going to happen and the former and a big "shrug" as to if/when they will get fixed.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 26, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Am I supposed to be doing something with frame rate? I have a C7 and use my Shield to watch stuff. I use WebOS for Netflix since my Shield doesn't do Dolby Vision. Just now wondering if I should be using the TV for Disney+ for the same reason.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Things are a bit better for the C7 than the C6.

Rtings test for the C7

Judder-Free 24p: Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60p : Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60i : Yes
Judder-Free 24p via Native Apps: Yes

For the C6

Judder-Free 24p: Yes
Judder-Free 24p via 60p : No
Judder-Free 24p via 60i : Yes
Judder-Free 24p via Native Apps: Yes

The bolded part is the issue. Nearly all content is 24fps. 4k streamers, by default, output 4kp60 all the time so they are taking the native 24fps streams and doing a 3:2 conversion on them to fit them in a 60hz carrier (repeating one frame 3 times, the next 2 times). If a TV handles motion well, it will detect that 3:2 cadience as a 24fps source and display it in the correct cadence that works with the panel refresh rate (120hz panels do 5:5, 60hz panels will often underclock to 48hz and do 2:2).

Well, on the C6, it can only do that if the signal is 1080i60. If it's 1080p60 or 4kp60, it displays it with the same 3:2 pattern of the carrier and the motion isn't even. So, I need to feed the TV the pure 24hz output to get correct 24fps cadience from a progressive source. There are a lot of TVs that have this failing, the C6 is just a little unique in that it goes halfway there by being able to do it with 1080i60, most that aren't able to reverse 3:2 can't do it for either 60i or 60p. I can also fake it with the Google TV by outputing 1080i60. The conversion of that from 1080p60 is lossless for 24p content and then the TV can sort out the correct cadience. This is why I keep my Google TV on that setting and primarily use it for youtubeTV. The 1080p60 streams convert quite well to correct cadence using that method.

Not everyone can see the hitch and it's something that many grew up with because that's how CRTs operated. Once you are used to correct motion though, it's hard to go back.

Framerate switching is something that always gets a bit sticky when it collides with UX people though because there's a blank screen as the TV switches modes. If you add in applications that like to do video previews in the background or have ad inserts that may be any wide range of framerates, that blanking becomes frequent and they tend to try to force an experience that's locked down to one framerate (60hz).

Also, no algorithm is 100% perfect and it's possible for TVs to occasionally gently caress up the frame timing from stream glitches or other things, so even TVs that can do the decode can sometimes benefit from having native refresh rate fed to them.

Then there's the abomination, 30fps streaming of 24fps content. You see this frequently on provider channel applications. It needs to die in a fire because very few TVs have enough motion smarts to correct the cadence of that dumb cadence which is something like 1:1:1:2 (can't remember exactly).

There's also the more nerdy poo poo of 24fps vs 23.976fps. The later is what's been used since color TV was a thing (they slowed down the framerate so that they could hack color information into the signal.) That's unnecessary today with digital everything, but has been a holdover until recently when Netflix started doing originals at pure 24fps. So, most stuff that DID have a 24fps mode was 23.976, so full integer 24fps is something that's been a more recent software edition.

So, the long and the short of it is, if it looks fine to you, it looks fine. As long as you have Real Cinema turned on and Trumotion turned off on the C7, you should get correct cadence for the vast majority of stuff you watch with it.

What we really need though is for everyone to get their poo poo together when it comes to audio streams. 2 channel PCM doesn't cut it in 2021. Dolby Digital 5.1 or GTFO. It's shameful that we have new streaming services launching NOW without that core bit in place. I don't care if people are just using TV speakers at home, you can still hear the differences in compression.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on May 26, 2021

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Wow that all sounds like a hassle.

YouTube TV doesn't do 5.1 which is definitely stupid.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They do on select OnDemand content, depending on the streaming device. Which is really the same as Hulu as well.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Goddamn that's all exhausting.

This is how we get to poo poo like sound bars and the soap opera effect permanently left on.

Eventually people just get fed up with poo poo and quit caring.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Then you toss in some other weirdness which heaps on.

Like the C6 can only do Dolby Vision at 30fps or lower.

So, if you have something, like say, the newest Roku that does Dolby Vision and are planning on using it with the C6, hope you are good with 1080p60 DV because it won't automatically go to 4kp24 DV and there's no way to force that behavior. That also means if you have GoogleTV and just want to set it at 4k60, then you lose Dolby Vision if you have one of these TVs.

It's amazing if the vast majority of people are using even the smallest fraction of what their TVs can do at this point due to all of this.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Then you toss in some other weirdness which heaps on.

Like the C6 can only do Dolby Vision at 30fps or lower.

So, if you have something, like say, the newest Roku that does Dolby Vision and are planning on using it with the C6, hope you are good with 1080p60 DV because it won't automatically go to 4kp24 DV and there's no way to force that behavior. That also means if you have GoogleTV and just want to set it at 4k60, then you lose Dolby Vision if you have one of these TVs.

It's amazing if the vast majority of people are using even the smallest fraction of what their TVs can do at this point due to all of this.

And not only that... but misusing (even through no fault of your own) can actually make things look actively worse. And about .01% of people would know what to look for/fix.

I swear sometimes I go into my bedroom and swear my 2019 5 Series looks better than my 2019 6 Series. Probably because it's just not trying to do so much.

BonoMan fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 26, 2021

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Imma just go lay in bed and watch stuff on my laptop instead.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

Imma just go lay in bed and watch stuff on my laptop instead.

a friend of mine has a 50" Sony from about six or seven years ago, and he only uses his iPad Pro these days.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

We're getting a 55" Samsung Frame installed on Monday. Aware it's a bit overpriced for the panel spec, but considering it comes with the mount and Samsung had a deal for free wall mounting it didn't end up terrible value. Upgrading from a 12 year old Bravia so even a not top of the line screen is gonna be a massive improvement.

When I bought the Bravia the showcase to make the most of it was Planet Earth. What's the 2021 go to for something to really see what a 4k screen can do?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Senor Tron posted:

When I bought the Bravia the showcase to make the most of it was Planet Earth. What's the 2021 go to for something to really see what a 4k screen can do?

Planet Earth II

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The most 2021 thing you can do is go to a friend who has an OLED and start kicking yourself for not using that overpriced "Frame" money for an OLED instead.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
My wife’s friend had a frame and my wife was convinced that would be our next tv.
luckily I got a good deal on a gx instead and now am enjoying both a happy wife and an oled.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Shadowhand00 posted:

My wife’s friend had a frame and my wife was convinced that would be our next tv.
luckily I got a good deal on a gx instead and now am enjoying both a happy wife and an oled.

Yeah my brother and his wife bought a house and were determined to get a $2000 frame TV. I tried my best to dissuade them and get them a great TV at a lower price (and just use a chromecast for art) but they wouldn't be convinced.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I watched a Frame review recently and I just can't see how it deserve the premium. What is the hook here? The 'art' feature doesn't seem that great, has fees for what you'd actually want, and doesn't look as good as an OLED?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7Z9F6miZjI

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Inner Light posted:

I watched a Frame review recently and I just can't see how it deserve the premium. What is the hook here? The 'art' feature doesn't seem that great, has fees for what you'd actually want, and doesn't look as good as an OLED?

They’re for corporate rooms and where you wait at a fancy bank. If you want to have one in your home it’s probably because you only experience any form of culture in those locations

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

I also consider it like Peloton, where the product itself has a monster price premium attached to it then as an extra f-you anything you want has monthly fees. I get that it's how corporate profits work these days but it's annoying.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I find it hard to be too judgey when this thread earnestly pushes spending $2k more for the TVs where the black is blacker

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I've had my C1 for a couple of weeks now and this poo poo is fantastic. I am never going back.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

morestuff posted:

I find it hard to be too judgey when this thread earnestly pushes spending $2k more for the TVs where the black is blacker

I would’ve agreed but I just watched my first film on the CX and by god it’s worth it

(It probably isn’t but I feel like it is)

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, after watching Kingdom on my plasma and then rewatching Kingdom on my GX, its night/day.

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.

Internet Explorer posted:

I've had my C1 for a couple of weeks now and this poo poo is fantastic. I am never going back.

When my Samsung KS8000 died I tried a nice Sony with full array backlight. It was nice but not that big of a jump from the Samsung. Decided to try a LG B9. After setting up and watching some stuff I boxed up the Sony and returned it to Best Buy the same day.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Inner Light posted:

The whole reason they exist is to get you to pay for their ongoing subscription to a rotating selection of hi-resolution paintings ~from prestigious art galleries around the world!~

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

morestuff posted:

Thing is the technology is the best picture you can conceivably get on the market. It also doesn't have bloom, light leak, or uniformity issues, and justifies HDR. Until the VRR gamma issue became a thing it was also the best positioned to take advantage of this generation of consoles.

The Frame is... not any of these.

And I think the thread does a good job of pushing the Hisense/TCL models when they fall into the needs and price range of the user. If you want a bedroom TV for the grandparents a Roku TCL usually does it.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Literally same. C1 and everything.

I held off because everyone was talking about poo poo like "black levels" and "high dynamic range" and I was making a jerking off motion with my hand the entire time. But I finally got a PS5 so I took the plunge.

drat, this really is different, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

BonoMan posted:

Yeah my brother and his wife bought a house and were determined to get a $2000 frame TV. I tried my best to dissuade them and get them a great TV at a lower price (and just use a chromecast for art) but they wouldn't be convinced.

Is there a not too involved way to do the art thing with a CC? I mainly use a Shield for stuff now and I thought for sure it'd be pretty easy to set up a screensaver like the Frame art on one of those but I did some digging around and gave up.