Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

EbolaIvory posted:

Its not that they don't want to.

You guys act like HTC or Valve or anyone else can fire money out of a cannon like facebook can. You really just don't get it. Oculus/Facebook wins right now because they can afford to lose their entire rear end on every headset sold. The other companies cant folks. They unlike facebook, do not have magic money trees or billionare VR investors doing it for "the love" of VR.

how silly of me, everyone knows how strapped for cash Google is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Yeah the people to compete with Facebook would've been Google and they gave up incredibly quickly. Although I'm pretty sure Valve has enough money to do whatever they want.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I'd just rather not have VR at all than give money to Facebook, a company that is at best merely complicit with genocide.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

explosivo posted:

My first VR headset was a Gear VR I got for free with my Galaxy S7 and I tried playing Minecraft on that once with a bluetooth controller and I got so, so goddamn sick from it.

Same, the same year I bought an Oculus CV1 I did a dry run with a Gear VR to see if VR was for me. I thought it was cool as heck (obviously), but there was no way I was going to settle for a Gear VR to play around with in any serious way. It's fine for low res VR videos and not much else.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Yeah the people to compete with Facebook would've been Google and they gave up incredibly quickly. Although I'm pretty sure Valve has enough money to do whatever they want.

I mean, Amazon probably could also compete if they wanted to, but their attempts at anything outside their core competency that isn't Kindle tend to be hot trash.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

raditts posted:

I mean, Amazon probably could also compete if they wanted to, but their attempts at anything outside their core competency that isn't Kindle tend to be hot trash.

Amazon is the only company right now outside of apple that has the money and resources to really compete in the VR space AND push a headset out that can compete price wise with oculus.

People act like its just money, theres a poo poo ton more to it when it comes to making a headset than you realize.

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Like all google things. Decent half baked ideas that get killed before they shape up.

raditts posted:

how silly of me, everyone knows how strapped for cash Google is.

Yet here we are because they failed and didn't actually allocate resources to it outside of it being a gimmick.

What do they even have to do with VR anymore anyways, Wishful thinking? What I said stands.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EbolaIvory posted:

Oculus/Facebook wins right now because they can afford to lose their entire rear end on every headset sold.

Last I checked, Quest and Quest 2 were both sold at roughly cost, not a loss. How much do you think they’re losing per headset, out of curiosity?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

King Vidiot posted:

I loving hate Facebook but I'm at the point where I realize they don't really track you anymore than Google or Amazon or literally any big tech company. It's wrong for any of those companies to do what they're doing, but at the same time... they're doing it no matter what you buy or do and voting with your wallet doesn't work so :shrug:

Wait till that promised in-headset smart assistant comes along and the mic's always on. Also that headset can generate a lot of medical metadata about you just from general use. They're getting a LOT more than ad clicks and views from you.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

SCheeseman posted:

Stepping on pets is one of those things people cite as a potential concern but is something that rarely happens, cats don't like to be around humans that are flailing around like idiots.

Tell that to this little dude that likes to lay down on top of my feet while I try to play ping pong in the matrix.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Yet here we are because they failed and didn't actually allocate resources to it outside of it being a gimmick.

What do they even have to do with VR anymore anyways, Wishful thinking? What I said stands.

Google being the only one that could compete and not allocating resources to it is literally what we were talking about when you popped in with your hot takes about how nobody understands how money works except for you

like all you're doing here is agreeing with what's already been said in the most obnoxious way possible, what point are you even trying to make here, what are you trying to accomplish

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait till that promised in-headset smart assistant comes along and the mic's always on. Also that headset can generate a lot of medical metadata about you just from general use. They're getting a LOT more than ad clicks and views from you.

Facebook sucks but like we already swallowed this pill when everyone bought smartphones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah no-one who says cats avoid flailing humans has never owned a cat. They love nothing more than walking right by your feet.

Stan Taylor posted:

Facebook sucks but like we already swallowed this pill when everyone bought smartphones.
Also laptops with integrated webcams.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Stan Taylor posted:

Tell that to this little dude that likes to lay down on top of my feet while I try to play ping pong in the matrix.

They do this to me too. Either they think it's time to play and run all around my VR area chasing each other or they fall asleep on my feet/somewhere in the room. Cats absolutely do not leave flailing humans alone.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, I'm sure I can just opt out of it by unchecking a box buried so deep on the Facebook site that I have to do an outside search for it just to find it.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
I see we're at the stage of the discussion where we get more and more nervous about imaginary features. I think they are going for voice controls not bonzi buddy

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

njsykora posted:

Yeah no-one who says cats avoid flailing humans has never owned a cat. They love nothing more than walking right by your feet.
Also laptops with integrated webcams.
I have three, I guess they're just smarter than y'alls dumbass cats :c00lbert:

Stan Taylor posted:

Get out of the way you dumb cat!

I've had mine intrude in my play area occasionally but for the most part they keep clear. If they do come close it's usually because I'm doing something seated or standing only.

Does Rift-S have that double tap passthrough thing?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Stan Taylor posted:

I accidentally clobbered my cat once. Playing Beat Saber and was crouched while doing a wide swing, and THONK and heard little feet running away down the hall. I had to stop and go bring her treats and be nice to try and convey that she didn't do anything wrong. Since then she knows not to be in the same room when the giant idiot has his plastic face on

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I see we're at the stage of the discussion where we get more and more nervous about completely imagined software

You come back to me when the urine test update comes and say that to my face

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

I see we're at the stage of the discussion where we get more and more nervous about imaginary features. I think they are going for voice controls not bonzi buddy

no they're going to steal YOUR BIOMETRICS while they insert the 5G chips in through your eye sockets

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EbolaIvory posted:

Amazon is the only company right now outside of apple that has the money and resources to really compete in the VR space AND push a headset out that can compete price wise with oculus.

Yeah, I was gonna say, Apple could afford it, being both filthy loaded and famous for keeping an egregious war chest, and they certainly have the technical resources. Buuuuuut lol if anyone thinks the privacy situation would be any better. The privacy landscape would look different on the surface but that'd be about it. And of course we won't see anything from Apple in this field until they can make it satisfactorily sleek.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

no they're going to steal YOUR BIOMETRICS while they insert the 5G chips in through your eye sockets

I mean... what did people think all those health and fitness tracking apps were for? Just looking out for the wellbeing of their customers? lol

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I was gonna say, Apple could afford it, being both filthy loaded and famous for keeping an egregious war chest, and they certainly have the technical resources. Buuuuuut lol if anyone thinks the privacy situation would be any better. The privacy landscape would look different on the surface but that'd be about it. And of course we won't see anything from Apple in this field until they can make it satisfactorily sleek.

An Apple product certainly wouldn't allow anything like connecting to your PC via Virtual Desktop. Not by default, at least.

raditts fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 26, 2021

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Right, I mean it's not like they'll have an AI detect nervousness in your speech patterns to see if you're lying, no company in recent memory has proposed doing that. And footage of the inside of your house couldn't be sent to the police for warrantless searches, I mean no camera connected to the internet has ever had its footage handed over to the cops.

There's a fine line between not caring how much tech companies invade your privacy and just not admitting that they do it in creepy ways.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

King Vidiot posted:

Right, I mean it's not like they'll have an AI detect nervousness in your speech patterns to see if you're lying, no company in recent memory has proposed doing that. And footage of the inside of your house couldn't be sent to the police for warrantless searches, I mean no camera connected to the internet has ever had its footage handed over to the cops.

There's a fine line between not caring how much tech companies invade your privacy and just not admitting that they do it in creepy ways.

jokes on them, I cover my Quest 2 in tinfoil along with my whole head

it keeps the facebook from talking inside my brain for the most part

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

They are doing some stuff too but its not going to be the VR we know for sure. Hoping to see some insane stuff from them tbh.

raditts posted:

Google being the only one that could compete and not allocating resources to it is literally what we were talking about when you popped in with your hot takes about how nobody understands how money works except for you

like all you're doing here is agreeing with what's already been said in the most obnoxious way possible, what point are you even trying to make here, what are you trying to accomplish

You don't see cheaper headsets because of everything I'm saying. This is the conversation. Is that not clear by my posts?

Subjunctive posted:

Last I checked, Quest and Quest 2 were both sold at roughly cost, not a loss. How much do you think they’re losing per headset, out of curiosity?

Right now this second? I think the SoC prices (without factoring chip shortages and potential stock/pricing issues) are low enough we might be at a break even point. What are they running right now? 100-150 bucks? Hard to say to be totally honest. At this point they are losing at most 25 bucks a pop per unit maybe? And I'd probably say thats a bit high since stock hasn't seemingly been an issue as of late. Launch losses? Probably 50ish based on allocation/stock stuff? Take into account packaging, controllers, etc. Makes sense on paper without having official docs sitting here with prices.

Keep in mind. I said they can afford to lose their rear end, Not that they are. They make that money back on the back end with software sales, which is the whole deal.

And fwiw, I'm basing some of this simply off numbers that are publicly available for things like soc prices and what not. My entire point is, they are losing money in general on headset costs, and have from the moment they launch them. By the time they catch up, they are still not profiting off the hardware itself, then the new thing comes out and were back at square 1 for hardware costs.

They found a really good line where they can not hemorrhage money per unit, but its still a loss until a customer buys some games.

Which is the entire reason you don't see other 300ish dollar stand alone headsets.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

Apple aren't an advertising company and are currently in a massive feud with Facebook because they forced them to give users an explicit block tracking option. Privacy is their big differentiator right now to the mainstream and they push that hard every time they launch a new thing and recoil hard every time they gently caress up in a way that dents that image (see: hiring a former Facebook advertising guy and firing him within a week once his reputation got out). For what it's worth the current talk is their developer headset is ready to go, they just don't want to announce it until they can do an in-person event again so devs can actually try it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

How's that turning out for Amazon's Alexa?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

You don't see cheaper headsets because of everything I'm saying. This is the conversation. Is that not clear by my posts?

What is unclear is why you think everybody doesn't already know this. The only person having this conversation is you, you're arguing about something literally nobody else is arguing about.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

raditts posted:

What is unclear is why you think everybody doesn't already know this. The only person having this conversation is you, you're arguing about something literally nobody else is arguing about.

I think you should go back and read my post and not be so personally offended I said "You guys dont get it".

Or, Hit the mute button on me. That works too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EbolaIvory posted:

And fwiw, I'm basing some of this simply off numbers that are publicly available for things like soc prices and what not. My entire point is, they are losing money in general on headset costs, and have from the moment they launch them.

FWIW, there are skilled people at Oculus and FB RL in general whose whole job is to make sure that they don’t pay public prices when placing orders for millions of units.

I don’t believe, based on conversations with people who are in a position to know for a fact, that they lose money on the cost of the Q2, when sold directly from FB at least. I didn’t think to discuss how pricing works for retail channels, but the next time I’m chatting with the people I’ll try to remember. When I was there the Rift was sold at cost, not a loss, and that was the policy of record for hardware, in contrast to the typical console model. The cost model included an estimated average shipping cost, but I don’t recall how generous the RMA allowance was.

They have lost money on some hardware like certain Portal units, where they made a mid-cycle upgrade to a component for whatever reason and it stretched the BOM. As far as I know they have never released any main piece of hardware (versus an accessory, like I think the standalone Touch controllers) at a loss.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

EbolaIvory posted:

They are doing some stuff too but its not going to be the VR we know for sure. Hoping to see some insane stuff from them tbh.

njsykora posted:

For what it's worth the current talk is their developer headset is ready to go, they just don't want to announce it until they can do an in-person event again so devs can actually try it.

Yeah, I'm aware and am certainly interested to finally see what they've been up to, but I won't consider any grapevine news as even being worth musing over in the shower until there's something concrete being advertised. Just because, like, Apple gonna Apple. They love their closed doors.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, I'm aware and am certainly interested to finally see what they've been up to, but I won't consider any grapevine news as even being worth musing over in the shower until there's something concrete being advertised. Just because, like, Apple gonna Apple. They love their closed doors.

Apple tends to launch things when its "good" so, heres to hoping man. I really really have high hopes they can push some sort of screen on peoples faces.

Subjunctive posted:

FWIW, there are skilled people at Oculus and FB RL in general whose whole job is to make sure that they don’t pay public prices when placing orders for millions of units.

I don’t believe, based on conversations with people who are in a position to know for a fact, that they lose money on the cost of the Q2, when sold directly from FB at least. I didn’t think to discuss how pricing works for retail channels, but the next time I’m chatting with the people I’ll try to remember. When I was there the Rift was sold at cost, not a loss, and that was the policy of record for hardware, in contrast to the typical console model. The cost model included an estimated average shipping cost, but I don’t recall how generous the RMA allowance was.

They have lost money on some hardware like certain Portal units, where they made a mid-cycle upgrade to a component for whatever reason and it stretched the BOM. As far as I know they have never released any main piece of hardware (versus an accessory, like I think the standalone Touch controllers) at a loss.

Yeah please, I'm curious as all my oculus folks are mostly software people and hardware numbers don't go through them really at all. I'm sure we're at a break even at this point, or close. Launch? Ehhh.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

AFAIK, no one knows.

Unless you work at Facebook, I mean.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apple is obsessed with how things look, a sleek, easy user interface, well-vetted apps that meet their standards, and most importantly, high resolution

These are all great things for a VR headset.

Imagine the new Apple M1 driving whatever their version of a retina VR display is. Awesome.

The downfall will be that things like Virtual Desktop, sidequest, and custom beatsaber songs absolutely would not exist. Think of how hard it is to get custom software on to a modern iPhone these days.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

njsykora posted:

Apple aren't an advertising company
lol(?)

njsykora posted:

and are currently in a massive feud with Facebook because they forced them to give users an explicit block tracking option.

because other advertising companies are direct competitors on their platforms

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Apple is obsessed with how things look, a sleek, easy user interface, well-vetted apps that meet their standards, and most importantly, high resolution

Imagine the new Apple M1 driving whatever their version of a retina VR display is. Awesome.

The downfall will be that things like Virtual Desktop, sidequest, and custom beatsaber songs absolutely would not exist. Think of how hard it is to get custom software on to a modern iPhone these days.

I think the underlying issue is that this is actually the least-solved problem right now, and I don't see any reason to think that Apple understands how to make valuable stuff in VR or knows how to make a market for other people to make things that can sell

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

I don't think Apple wants to make VR apps themselves, other than maybe VR versions of its base and productivity apps (maybe they'll remember Garageband exists!). More likely they want the Mac to be more appealing as a development platform for other people, they spent quite a bit of time during the initial Apple Silicon presentation talking about how well Unity ran on M1. Hence the headset being targeted way more at developers.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It would also likely cost about $2000.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*
2020: Everyone has a smartphone anyway. What's the harm?

2120: Hello, jaykaycayhayden, would you like to see your great, great grandfather reconstructed before your eyes in 5 minutes, have a conversation with him composed of billions of voice samples, and then watch him turn into a puddle of goo 15 minutes later? Only $500 mcdollars. For an extra $100 we will recreate his domicile.

I can't wait until xae12 zuckerberg rules everything and I will be god DAMNED if I let someone post in this here VR thread to blaspheme our future ruler.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 26, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

njsykora posted:

I don't think Apple wants to make VR apps themselves, other than maybe VR versions of its base and productivity apps (maybe they'll remember Garageband exists!). More likely they want the Mac to be more appealing as a development platform for other people, they spent quite a bit of time during the initial Apple Silicon presentation talking about how well Unity ran on M1. Hence the headset being targeted way more at developers.

I've been under the impression their end-game is AR rather than VR, so they can have people wearing them in public to look important and sell more devices (see also; the iPhone).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Bloodplay it again posted:

I can't wait until xae12 zuckerberg rules everything and I will be god DAMNED if I let someone post in this here VR thread to blaspheme our future ruler.
There is no technology that advertising cannot ruin.