Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
posting from a blue imac

immediately after migration it told me I wasn't allowed to use safari. installing the latest system update fixed it, not sure what I would have done if there wasn't one available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

"where did the computer go?"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
that’s a PowerPC iMac with a spinning hard disk

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

The Management posted:

????

my old imac "retina 5k" core iwhatever had a fusion disk with spinny platters in it too. the fusion thing sucked. glad that died quickly.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

The Management posted:

and an internal power supply, and user-replaceable/upgradeable storage and ram... truly incredible what technologies the future holds :allears:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

you might not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like

speaking of, how much in the past did the median user upgrade their computers? I have a feeling it's close to none

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Boiled Water posted:

speaking of, how much in the past did the median user upgrade their computers? I have a feeling it's close to none

iirc even before laptops took over the market only like 10% of people upgraded their computers after purchase

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
apple was always angling towards computing appliances, and they've very nearly achieved that. mac os is still too general purpose, but they've made great strides on that front too

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i love all my steve jobs sex appliances

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

most users buy MacBooks and iMacs. in the past you could upgrade the ram in both and with various degrees of pain the hard drive too. ram was a pretty common upgrade because the Apple markup on it was what you’d expect, and because it was fairly easy.

but ram access slots went away a long time ago on laptops and somewhat more recently on iMacs. so in the recent past the answer is that median users do not upgrade their machine.

however, on the other side we have the fact that computers used to become antiquated in 2 years and now they can last 7 or more years if specced well at purchase.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
apple switched to unibody laptops with unremovable batteries because they did some research and it turned out that only a tiny percentage of users ever removed their batteries even once and that the road warrior who swaps out charged batteries during long flights was a largely mythical creature, and they could make the computer sturdier and lighter by making the battery unremovable

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

FMguru posted:

apple switched to unibody laptops with unremovable batteries because they did some research and it turned out that only a tiny percentage of users ever removed their batteries even once and that the road warrior who swaps out charged batteries during long flights was a largely mythical creature, and they could make the computer sturdier and lighter by making the battery unremovable

and on any longer flight you now have outlets at every seat

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i might replace the nvme ssd in my x1 carbon with a bigger capacity one, and it would be nice if ram were expandable in general, but theres no current equivalent to upgrading from a platter hard drive to a ssd

doing that swap in my wife's 2011 mbp was mindblowing in terms of performance increase

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Lysidas posted:

i might replace the nvme ssd in my x1 carbon with a bigger capacity one, and it would be nice if ram were expandable in general, but theres no current equivalent to upgrading from a platter hard drive to a ssd

doing that swap in my wife's 2011 mbp was mindblowing in terms of performance increase

give your wife a macbook air m1 its amazing

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
your wife will love the octo-core m1 chipset

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
unexpected drawback of extremely light m1 imac: cat can now push it around with her face

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

The_Franz posted:

and on any longer flight you now have outlets at every seat

that's still far from universal

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

and even if you have an outlet, it's a coin flip whether it actually works

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if you ever work on a plane

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Boiled Water posted:

give your wife a macbook air m1 its amazing

already did that a few months ago, indeed it is

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

haveblue posted:

unexpected drawback of extremely light m1 imac: cat can now push it around with her face

stick it down with some blu-tac

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Silver Alicorn posted:

stick it down with some blu-tac
no matter how much you use the cat will pull free and then leave sticky blue paw prints everywhere

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

there's a hardware exploit for the m1 chip that allows malicious users to play an unacceptable amount of anime on your computer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLQKrEh6w7M

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
feature, not a bug

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

starting a fund to buy smoka a m1 mac to dodge anime probations

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

njsykora posted:

and even if you have an outlet, it's a coin flip whether it actually works

it seems like they've quit putting actual outlets in the seats and are just doing usb now.

not sure how i feel about that

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

it seems like they've quit putting actual outlets in the seats and are just doing usb now.

i think both are for the msot part vestiges of days of much worse batteries anyway.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

for opsec reasons always bring a 1Ah battery bank to act as a buffer between random usb outlet and the device, bonus if you use one that's a powerbank and wireless charger in one

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
or just have a charge-only cable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Chris Knight posted:

likely the thing they're being careful is the power delivered on airplanes is often incredibly badly conditioned (spiky and noisy). i kind of doubt it'll ruin your device, but e.g. the interference often make touchscreens unusable.

Godspeed You! Black Conservative
Dec 30, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chris Knight posted:

every flight I’ve had on delta the usb outlet wouldn’t power up unless you specifically plugged in a data cable (I’ve tried both power only cables and “usb condom” dongles)

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Godspeed You! Black Conservative posted:

every flight I’ve had on delta the usb outlet wouldn’t power up unless you specifically plugged in a data cable (I’ve tried both power only cables and “usb condom” dongles)

“power only” usb-a is out of spec. airplanes actually have regulations to follow so you’re getting 500mW or 2.5W from usb-a. you wouldn’t want to start a fire or something by providing 5V/more amps than are allowed like a lot of chargers do.

usb-c finally fixes things but makes the naming ridiculous

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

akadajet posted:

there's a hardware exploit for the m1 chip that allows malicious users to play an unacceptable amount of anime on your computer

that hardware exploit is mostly nonsense. basically they found a single bit in a register that any process can read or write. so if two processes decided to cooperate they could use that to communicate very slowly for some reason.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
from the site

quote:

So what's the point of this website?

Poking fun at how ridiculous infosec clickbait vulnerability reporting has become lately. Just because it has a flashy website or it makes the news doesn't mean you need to care.

If you've read all the way to here, congratulations! You're one of the rare people who doesn't just retweet based on the page title :-)

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
what are you doing worrying about power outlets on planes and in airports when usb batteries exist.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

The Management posted:

that hardware exploit is mostly nonsense. basically they found a single bit in a register that any process can read or write. so if two processes decided to cooperate they could use that to communicate very slowly for some reason.

a shave xor a haircut

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

EIDE Van Hagar posted:

what are you doing worrying about power outlets on planes and in airports when usb batteries exist.

please don’t bring extra big rear end lithium ion batteries onto planes

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

please don’t bring extra big rear end lithium ion batteries onto planes

the limit was always 99wh which I assume is plenty to bring down a plane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

The Management posted:

they will have to deal with it in some fashion on ios at least, or facebook will use it as device identification. realistically all they need to do is ban it formally and imply that they'll check it in some way though.

on macos it is a security issue only in principle, as it breaks sandboxes, but i doubt there is any real scenario where they are used in a way where this will matter.