Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Antitonic posted:

I’d assume this Elder Scrolls one:

Oh cool thanks! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Froghammer posted:

I sympathize with Matt a little because I too suffer from chronic "Always The DM Never The Player" syndrome, and he's an extremely good and smart player. Everything Essek did in that last fight was clutch, from dispelling Yasha's charm to knowing when to blow high level slots on Magic Missile because gently caress it, this thing needs to die now and I can't risk it making the save.

I'd obviously like to see him play more, but so much of their brand is tied up in him DMing that I'm not sure how often that'll happen.

It is a little easier to make smart plays when you also control the monsters

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that I hope they never change the lineup/who DMs for the main show.

However, I would be all for a second "main" campaign - set in whatever system they want - to become part of their regular programming. That one should absolutely have Matt as a player/recurring guest and have a mix of the main cast and some of their former guest stars.

Liam as DM, Laura, Sam, Ashly Burch, Aabria, Mica Burton, and Matt as players.

They could have their own "is it Wednesday yet?" thing and what not.

Hexmage-SA
Jun 28, 2012
DM
Concerning Uk'otoa, I think that Matt's original plan was to have Campaign 2 revolve around the three three-eyed beast detailed in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. The temple to Uk'otoa on Urukayxl featured murals of them: Uk'otoa (who was three large eyes, along with many smaller ones, and was created by Zehir), Desirat (a phoenix with three eyes who was Asmodeus' mount), and Quajath (a giant worm with three eyes created by Torog). Why Molly had these nine eye tattoos from the get go is curious, though it could be that the tattoos came first and Uk'otoa, Desirat, and Quajath having three eyes apiece could have been a later development. Also interesting to note is that the symbol of Uk'otoa on the Squall Eater was itself depicted with nine eyes.

So my assumption is that these three spawn of the Betrayer Gods were going to be the original villains of the campaign, but things just didn't go that way and Matt had to devise a replacement, leaving Uk'otoa on the sidelines.

The war between Xhorhas and the Dwendalian Empire was probably also supposed to be a bigger deal, seeing as the Wildemount book makes it out like the war is the main focus of the setting with lines like "Wildemount is a powder keg about to explode" and " everyone in Wildemount, including the adventurers, must contend with the fallout of the conflict". This is followed up with advice on how to run a war campaign.

The various Aeorian monsters are in the book too, though, so I guess the Aeor path was a secondary plan.

Hexmage-SA fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 26, 2021

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Hexmage-SA posted:

Concerning Uk'otoa, I think that Matt's original plan was to have Campaign 2 revolve around the three three-eyed beast detailed in Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. The temple to Uk'otoa on Urukayxl featured murals of them: Uk'otoa (who was three large eyes, along with many smaller ones, and was created by Zehir), Desirat (a phoenix with three eyes who was Asmodeus' mount), and Quajath (a giant worm with three eyes created by Torog). Why Molly had these nine eye tattoos from the get go is curious, though it could be that the tattoos came first and Uk'otoa, Desirat, and Quajath having three eyes apiece could have been a later development. Also interesting to note is that the symbol of Uk'otoa on the Squall Eater was itself depicted with nine eyes.

So my assumption is that these three spawn of the Betrayer Gods were going to be the original villains of the campaign, but things just didn't go that way and Matt had to devise a replacement, leaving Uk'otoa on the sidelines.

The war between Xhorhas and the Dwendalian Empire was probably also supposed to be a bigger deal, seeing as the Wildemount book makes it out like the war is the main focus of the setting with lines like "Wildemount is a powder keg about to explode" and " everyone in Wildemount, including the adventurers, must contend with the fallout of the conflict". This is followed up with advice on how to run a war campaign.

The various Aeorian monsters are in the book too, though, so I guess the Aeor path was a secondary plan.

He probably just seeded a few things and left it to see where the players go.

The weird thing about the ukatoa plot is that a lot of the information about it seems to make it seem unresolvable. Theres an unkillable thing out there and the best outcome is just keeping a lid on it

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the main thing that makes Critical Role unique is everyone in the main cast being voice actors.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

tsob posted:

I think Matt is replaceable to be honest. Not because he's not a fantastic DM, because he is, but because he sets a tone for the game and replacing him would be one of the better ways to establish "this is a different campaign". Also because Matt is Exandria, and Exandria is Matt. So replacing him with one of the other cast members, like Taliesin, might mean a campaign in another setting. Or even with another system. If there was anyone I'd think was essential it'd be Laura or Sam. Not because they're the face of the company or essential in any real way, but because they're the most vibrant and fun cast members and tend to draw other people into shenanigans.

I know everyone bar Ashley has DM'd at least once at this point, but I don't know if any of the rest are major DMs and would like to step up and do it full time on a campaign over a year or more though. I'd suspect Liam, Marisha or Taliesin are the most likely to do that, since they seem to be the most proliferate players but Laura or Travis might do it a lot for home games or anything for all I know.

They won't go to another system for their 'main' game because they are sponsored by D&D Beyond. Whatever they do will be 5E, but that's not to say that they couldn't play with the setting. Tallesin Jaffe Presents: Planescape would be legit awesome though - even it it was just like a 6 episode mini-campaign or something.

As far as guests I'd like to see, I really want to see more Erika Ishii. She's done some Dimension 20 stuff, including with Matt for the Escape from Bloodkeep mini-campaign they did, and she was EXCELLENT in Geek & Sundry's Vampire campaign.

Aside from that though, I really expect C3 will be all the same people. The only thing I would give a big *maybe* to is Marisha stepping back from the game table to focus on production and behind the scenes stuff, but I think she'll probably stick with it for C3.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006
If we're thinking about fantasy cast members, two previous guests stand out from the rest.
Darin De Paul's performance was on another level and he's probably close to the cast. That level of performance might not be sustainable for long, though.
Deborah Ann Woll's attitude and descriptions were outstanding, meshed well with the rest, she's a D&D vet, but she doesn't seem to be close to the cast.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again: I want to see more stuff like BWF running Deadlands. Short mini-campaigns that go over 4/6/10 episodes and use different systems.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Hulk Smash! posted:

I'm going to be a contrarian and say that I hope they never change the lineup/who DMs for the main show.

However, I would be all for a second "main" campaign - set in whatever system they want - to become part of their regular programming. That one should absolutely have Matt as a player/recurring guest and have a mix of the main cast and some of their former guest stars.

Liam as DM, Laura, Sam, Ashly Burch, Aabria, Mica Burton, and Matt as players.

They could have their own "is it Wednesday yet?" thing and what not.

I've been wondering why they don't do that forever, there's a ton of good actual plays out there. There's a poo poo ton of talent out there available, they could easily add another show on a different day of the week if they wanted to. Hell, a rotating one-shot/short campaign night would probably get a ton of viewers and add some excitement to a twitch channel that has several open days.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-YCzpYDIyA

Wait Part 1?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Yeah, Matt said something to the effect of that at the end of the stream, so it sounds like they have more episodes planned, but who knows.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DeathSandwich posted:

They won't go to another system for their 'main' game because they are sponsored by D&D Beyond. Whatever they do will be 5E, but that's not to say that they couldn't play with the setting. Tallesin Jaffe Presents: Planescape would be legit awesome though

The one thing I’ll say to that is that D&D Beyond isn’t WotC, it’s Fandom, who now owns their own system, Cortex. I strongly suspect if they switch systems it would be to that one. Or that one Matt’s been working on if they really want to go all-in on their own brand but I think that’s much more likely to be a mini-campaign or something given it’s inherently cyberpunk.

I’ll add a Hell Yeah for Taliesin does Planescape though, that would be fantastic.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I need Ify Nwadiwe to guest in a main campaign. Please.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1397584707961778177?s=20

Strap in for theorycrafting for C3 starting... Now.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

seaborgium posted:

I've been wondering why they don't do that forever, there's a ton of good actual plays out there. There's a poo poo ton of talent out there available, they could easily add another show on a different day of the week if they wanted to. Hell, a rotating one-shot/short campaign night would probably get a ton of viewers and add some excitement to a twitch channel that has several open days.

Probably because of COVID honestly. Before it became untenable to bring in the cast and crew all the time they had a number of secondary programs filling up those open days: Game Ranch, Critter Hug, All Work No Play, Pub Draw, MAME Drop, Between the Sheets, and the grab-bag #EverythingIsContent.

Though I think the key point to all of those is that they're relatively low cost, since other than Mica and Babs they all used the regular members of the cast and crew. Starting up a regular second game would mean hiring additional players and possibly more crew to cover the additional filming days.

Still, it's certainly something I would like to see, and in the long term probably good for the company if all their eggs aren't in the one basket.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
This is just my idiot hot take but I feel like Matt finally let the story get away from him with Lucien. How many other cool stories in campaign two have we missed because they spent a year in real time chasing an anime antagonist who always knew everything and was everywhere at once?

We could have had an ocean god invading the Menagerie Coast or any of the other hinted at god creatures showing up. We won't ever see the pay off of the wizard bullshit in the Empire. And we never got a proper revisit to the Dynasty which I felt was one of the strongest parts of the campaign. No more adventures with the Clay family and their cursed forest. Plus all the other interesting plot lines left hanging due to that drat purple tiefling.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

I was/is well and truly tired of Lucien as well, but you knew that already, it's a storyline that's just massively overstayed it's welcome to me, so I'm really anxious to see what C3 is going to be (and also what possible one-shots we get in between)

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

Keru posted:

https://twitter.com/CriticalRole/status/1397584707961778177?s=20

Strap in for theorycrafting for C3 starting... Now.

With the deadline being next Monday I'm suspecting this might be the last week.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Yeah, it definitely feels like the last episode is this week and then they have an epilogue episode the week after (or a break to collect themselves, get the jitters and stuff out and ready to plan C3 characters, etc)

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

Trast posted:

This is just my idiot hot take but I feel like Matt finally let the story get away from him with Lucien. How many other cool stories in campaign two have we missed because they spent a year in real time chasing an anime antagonist who always knew everything and was everywhere at once?

We could have had an ocean god invading the Menagerie Coast or any of the other hinted at god creatures showing up. We won't ever see the pay off of the wizard bullshit in the Empire. And we never got a proper revisit to the Dynasty which I felt was one of the strongest parts of the campaign. No more adventures with the Clay family and their cursed forest. Plus all the other interesting plot lines left hanging due to that drat purple tiefling.

This isn’t a hot take, every mouth-breather with a Twitter account has decided that this is the Great Truth (my favorite was the person upset at Brian for making light of their “deserved upset”, or something like that, of the Campaign ending “poorly”).

Personally, I’ve loved this final wrap up arc - Lucien/Molly is a story that is central to the Mighty Nein as a unit, and not a part of any of their specific personal stories, which makes it an appropriate wrap up for the campaign. After this adventure, assuming no one dies, Veth and Cad at the least will be leaving the adventuring life behind; this is the end of the Mighty Nein, and deserves to be a Mighty Nein quest, not a Caleb quest or a Fjord quest.

Also, this final battle has me so stoked as a long time JRPG fan. While we were watching last week, I called to my girlfriend in the first like 20 minutes that he would merge into the city for a 2nd phase, just such a cool idea and SSOOOOOO JRPG, I love it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Trast posted:

Not to be too pedantic, but...

1) They lost 4 months of episodes due to covid.
2) The current arc (assuming we count from the end of Rumblecusp like the wiki does) has been 20 episodes out of 139, so 5 months of real time.
3) Matt is the one who started this arc, by sending them a vision of the 9-eyed city when they killed Vokodo.

I will agree that the arc has felt like it was dragging on; for too long Cognouza was just too vague a threat to really generate a sense of urgency from the viewers. And there was no real compelling "mystery" to Lucien, since fairly early on he made it clear who he was and how Molly had come to be.

I certainly would have liked to have seen some of the other threads followed up, but I don't think it's fair to blame Lucien for derailing the plot when it was Matt who put them on this course.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Silynt posted:

This isn’t a hot take, every mouth-breather with a Twitter account has decided that this is the Great Truth (my favorite was the person upset at Brian for making light of their “deserved upset”, or something like that, of the Campaign ending “poorly”).

Personally, I’ve loved this final wrap up arc - Lucien/Molly is a story that is central to the Mighty Nein as a unit, and not a part of any of their specific personal stories, which makes it an appropriate wrap up for the campaign. After this adventure, assuming no one dies, Veth and Cad at the least will be leaving the adventuring life behind; this is the end of the Mighty Nein, and deserves to be a Mighty Nein quest, not a Caleb quest or a Fjord quest.

Also, this final battle has me so stoked as a long time JRPG fan. While we were watching last week, I called to my girlfriend in the first like 20 minutes that he would merge into the city for a 2nd phase, just such a cool idea and SSOOOOOO JRPG, I love it.

Agreed with everything you wrote, the Final Fantasy fan in me has been so hype during this battle.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I hope Caleb gets some closure with Trent/Astrid but other then that I'm fine with leaving the rest of it unresolved. I hope we get a one shot of Fjord going after Sabian and getting reunited with Vandren though. Jester follows her true love on the adventure along with First Mate Beau.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

They come back from the Astral Sea and Yussa took care of both Trent and Uk'Otoa, figuring he owed the M9 one. Thus providing even more salt for the Twitter folks and fulfilling the prophecy.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

In Campaign 3 Travis plays Grog's son, Greg Strongjaw.

Edit: Better yet, Sam plays him.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Pussy Quipped posted:

I need Ify Nwadiwe to guest in a main campaign. Please.

I've been saying this since his appearance waaaaay back in early campaign one and I'm glad to finally see someone else say it.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I just realized I'm off Friday so in theory I can stay up to watch the possible end?

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
My guess is that either the Uk'otoa or the Trent arc ends up being the joint Nein/Vox team ups during the hiatus between campaigns. That they're still producing the animation hype videos has me hopeful my original timeline guess (ending in June/July) was correct and we see October for the launch on Prime and for C3.

Uk'otoa probably makes more sense, but I do hope it's rooting out Trent's corruption instead.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hope they play something other than DnD. It feels like they are reaching the end of what they can accomplish materially with characters based in the current set up.

I admit I might be poisoned by ideas about DnD from learning a tonne about the various different other RP options. But I would love it if there was a character that kind of commented on how the reaction to almost every situation is a huge amount of violence. Even if it's just a side commentary I think that'd be the next step.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Trast posted:

And this would have been terrible because the Mighty Nine worked very hard to prevent that ocean god from striking. Matt clearly had a lot of plans for this campaign that PC action managed to curtail: they locked down the war, they locked down a whole slew of potential nasty side effects from the war by befriending Essek, they pretty decisively locked down U'kotoa. A good DM allows his players to succeed. Despite appearances, the Mighty Nine has been remarkably effective at doing just the right things to resolve scenarios; the main issue from an audience perspective is the lack of follow-up. For example, stealing the Beacon back and then handing it over directly to the Bright Queen turns out to have been stumbling upon the most effective course of action. Their bumbling around in the Empire drove a huge wedge between the Assembly and the king, but they nope'd out of any follow-up with the king leaving Matt to decide how events developed off-screen.

Yes, there's dozens of hanging plot lines. Some of them I expect to get picked up again: especially with a sourcebook in print, I expect this part of the world to get further development in Campaign 3, although Matt could decide to develop another part of the world. My expectation has been that the Dynasty will be the setting for Campaign 3, there will be occasional Mighty 9 one-shots that will have a direct effect on world events for the third party, and we'll get more exploration of that part of the continent, find out more about the Beacons and what's going wrong with the Bright Queen, and so on. The Assembly and the three imprisoned elementals remain potential threats for this new campaign, potentially with the M9 coming in to save the day. Trying to close out all the plot lines is a terrible idea if Matt expects to run more adventures in this part of the world.

HELLO LADIES
Feb 15, 2008
:3 -$5 :3
What I really want for C3 is a prequel arc.

Most of this arc has been boring and oddly tensionless, but the parts exploring the city itself and starting to suss it out were big highlights for me. I wish we had much more Aeor and much less Lucien, so I hope for C3 we get exactly that: pre-Calamity campaign, centered on Aeor and whatever the hell is going on there. Explore all the stuff Matt gave hints of from the other side of things.

It would be satisfying in it's own right, allow Exandria to stay fresh, and potentially pay off massive dividends for Campaign 4.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Nemo2342 posted:

Not to be too pedantic, but...

I mean this is a goon thread about a ttrpg live show, I expected pedantic. :v:

As far as plot goes I did not like Lucien as a final antagonist. That is a fair opinion to have. I also know people loved him so that is fine too. I just know personally this feels far less fulfilling than Campaign One did.

Silynt posted:

This isn’t a hot take, every mouth-breather with a Twitter account has decided that this is the Great Truth

Wow, rude.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

To point something out: just because I thought this arc dragged on a bit doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it, I had a lot of fun watching it, I just think it's got a lot of 'chaff' that ended in taking too long, but that's the nature of a d&d campaign. I'll live.

Edit: I would love if C3 is either a prequel as was suggested, or this time it's not 20 years later, it's like 150 years on or something.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The only part of C2 I didn't care for was the endless wandering in Eiselcross. Everything since Aeor has been great.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

The entire bit of them exploring Aeor and finding stuff was really great.

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Keru posted:

The entire bit of them exploring Aeor and finding stuff was really great.
On its own terms, yes. But there was absolutely no urgency to what was supposed to be a chase with the fate of the world in the balance.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The cast won't get to follow up on the Aoer automaton they activated and who left, beyond maybe a one shot but I do think it'd be neat if one of the players in campaign 3 is a Golem that one Aoerian automaton created, to follow up on that a bit. I'd love to see more of the Dynasty too, personally.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Senjuro posted:

On its own terms, yes. But there was absolutely no urgency to what was supposed to be a chase with the fate of the world in balance.
They went without being able to take a long rest for what seemed like weeks because they couldn't stop for any reason. It seemed fairly urgent to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Volte posted:

They went without being able to take a long rest for what seemed like weeks because they couldn't stop for any reason. It seemed fairly urgent to me.

What is urgency but ki persevering?