Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How the hell is the preppy so good at loving 5 dollars?

I mean it's cheap otherwise but it writes really well for the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Found a video of Grack fixing nibs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbTWLdT_tgk&t=65s

geforce
Nov 19, 2014

You may be cooler than me IRL, but I have crippling anxietyTM
:parrot:
There are some cheap gems like that. For me, it's the Diplomat Magnum.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Queadlunn posted:

That poor pen.

Is there a good way to repair it beyond replacing the nib?

That's what I'm going to be spending the next week or two finding out. You have to work slowly on these old nibs as they're paper-thin and easy to mess up.

There's generally more drugs involved when I do it.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

grack posted:

That's what I'm going to be spending the next week or two finding out. You have to work slowly on these old nibs as they're paper-thin and easy to mess up.

There's generally more drugs involved when I do it.

I wish you luck with that one, classic pen repair is something I've been tinkering with but working on nibs themselves still scares the hell out of me.

Speaking of damages pens, my PenBBS 268's section was showing more stress fractures and the old ones that I'd re-fused had expanded to the point of leaking ink. RIP favorite pen. Found that Pen Boutique has some Opus Picnics on deep sale since they've been discontinued I guess so I grabbed one with a 1.5 stub to replace my poor 268.
Edit- Pretty sure the #6 nib I put in the pen was the cause, likely some tiny amount too thick compared to the stock one.

Queadlunn fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 11, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I love to play the exciting game of "Am I bleeding or is that ink on my arm?" every time I use a pen filled with any kind of red ink.

I need to get a job so I can buy more vintage pens. They're so fun and mine could be better...

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

goddamn I haven't seen Coneheads in 20 years.

I should remedy that.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
The new Goulet exclusive Edison Nouveau Premiere is out and while I absolutely love the pretty purple, I can't justify the price of $250. I have 2 other Nouveau Premieres that I enjoy using, but they were bought at the old price. I feel like if I am going to pay that much, I might as well spend more and get something fully custom.

Also the fact that my $10 Jinhao 51a pens have had more use than my Nouveau Premiere pens in the last year or so and write just as well means really don't need another one.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh no.

Something terrible has happened.

I've managed to purchase a *gasps* classy, understated Delta

An ebonite lever-filler? From Delta? How did this monstrosity come about???

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Oh no.

Something terrible has happened.

I've managed to purchase a *gasps* classy, understated Delta

An ebonite lever-filler? From Delta? How did this monstrosity come about???

Better question:

HOW DOES IT WRITE?

grack
Jan 10, 2012

It writes pretty well. Filler works, too.

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion
Received a Noodler Ahab with a flex nib today. I've heard a large number of things about this pen, not much of which seem to be accurate for mine.

It:
1) Doesn't have flow problems
2) Didn't need heat treatment for the feed to work well
3) Did actually smell faintly of vomit after I opened the box and uncapped it, but the smell changed from vomit to candy after like 1 minute of it being out
4) Does require a fair bit of pressure for the nib to flex

Flex nibs are a hella lot of fun, and if I'd tried one sooner I suspect most of my pens now would have them.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

my ahab took awhile for the smell to go away.. It wasn't vomit butt tit wasn't amazing. I never had to fiddle with it, and it's my go to for Emerald De Chavour. Sadly it dries out p drat quick so it's not an every day pen lineup pen.
I really need to clena out my pens, they've beein a box for over a eyar since I work from home so I just take notes in notepad.exe

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

tater_salad posted:

vomit butt tit

same

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Is there anybody else here really using B5 paper for stuff? I decided I liked the size for a pseudo-portable notebook but 26-hole B5 is pretty limited. I also tried to do Tomoe River with that but those goofy hole punches are so inconsistent. The paper also isn't really meant for logging around like that and falls apart at the holes.

I think I'm just wondering if anybody found a decent setup for that kind of thing that was refillable. I just use Kokuyo Campus paper now.

Meowspergers posted:

Received a Noodler Ahab with a flex nib today. I've heard a large number of things about this pen, not much of which seem to be accurate for mine.

It:
1) Doesn't have flow problems

I got a Konrad and it survived a round of Bay State Blue, refilled, and survived some more without cleaning in between. Who would have thought a Noodler's pen could withstand a Noodler's ink? I actually was hoping to find one that matched a good aesthetic of Burma Road Brown, but I don't think they have one yet.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
B5 is roughly US composition book sized, and there are a number of ones with decent paper. It's a bit of a lottery, but at least it's a cheap one. I used that size for a few years at work.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Some people may laugh at the fact that I bought a modern Parker, but I picked up a grail pen today:

Parker Big Red Duofold.

Chip McFuck fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 15, 2021

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't want to brag but I've seen bigger and redder things.

nice pen though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Sankis posted:

I don't want to brag but I've seen bigger and redder things.

You can get tablets for that.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Non-colour matched crab stand, 2/10

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
I have received a helpful crab friend too!

Opus 88 Picnic w/ 1.4 stub nib. Inked with Monteverde Jade Noir

It seems I have a type for acrylic pens.
Also, I had the pen and ink in basket going through checkout; Pen Boutique just happened to say 'Hey you simple bastard, buy a crab from us. We know you've looked at the crab' so now I have a green crab to go with the pen.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
the precise v5 is such an awesome rollerball, i like it for handwritten musical notation

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Sooner or later, I’ll cave and buy a 3D printer just to make pen stands.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Visconti's ability to consistently put out nibs that are absolute trainwrecks is kind of impressive.

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion

Chip McFuck posted:

Some people may laugh at the fact that I bought a modern Parker, but I picked up a grail pen today:

Parker Big Red Duofold.

I seriously considered getting one myself because I loved the spade nib design and the 1920's aesthetic. How is it?

Also, was looking at my dad's 30+ year old Montblanc 146 under a loupe last night. (Mine on the right for comparison.)

I guess all the iridium rhodium plating on his just flat wore out? There's also some interesting iridescent tarnishing along the fringes of the nib in the 41.66% not-gold part of the alloy.

"W Germany" is a little worn but still visible on the cap band. Couldn't find a serial number anywhere, but my dad bought this at a Montblanc boutique.

Meowspergers fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 18, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Meowspergers posted:

I seriously considered getting one myself because I loved the spade nib design and the 1920's aesthetic. How is it?

Also, was looking at my dad's 30+ year old Montblanc 146 under a loupe last night. (Mine on the right for comparison.)

I guess all the iridium rhodium plating on his just flat wore out? There's also some interesting iridescent tarnishing along the fringes of the nib in the 41.66% not-gold part of the alloy.

"W Germany" is a little worn but still visible on the cap band. Couldn't find a serial number anywhere, but my dad bought this at a Montblanc boutique.

Three things to note:

1. The nib was likely never rhodium plated. Montblanc has used different nib designs over the years.
2. You can take off the "tarnish" with a bit of denatured alcohol.
3. Montblanc only started putting serial numbers on their pens in 1991.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Three things to note:

1. The nib was likely never rhodium plated. Montblanc has used different nib designs over the years.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/280590-is-there-about-montblanc-146-14c-monotone-document/

The linked thread is a bit confusing to follow but as you say, 14K monotone gold should be right for a W Germany marked 146. Generally people distinguish 146 and 149 age by whether the nib is marked 14C, 18C, 14K or 18K, and how much rhodium plating is on the nib. There are further distinctions to be drawn within each category but the nib markings are the first thing that people look at.

Meowspergers
May 20, 2019

Ricochet World Champion
Cool! Good to know.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Meowspergers posted:

I really like it! The nib is very smooth and has a small bit of bounce that makes for a nice, lively writing experience. I'm not sure of the connection between the ace of spades and Parker, but it certainly looks cool when ink starts creeping onto the nib. The pen has a nice, balanced weight to it, though I probably wouldn't post it. With the cap sticking off the end it looks a little clown-ish. Overall a really great pen, but I'd wait until you see one on sale. The MSRP of $500+ is way too much, in my opinion.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Well well well would you look at the time

vuk83
Oct 9, 2012

Megabound posted:

Well well well would you look at the time

Post this in the watch thread in ylls

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
wow the time is write

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh fire, beautiful fire. Fire fixes everything. The only thing better than fire is fire and copious amounts of booze.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

grack posted:

Oh fire, beautiful fire. Fire fixes everything. The only thing better than fire is fire and copious amounts of booze.

sounds more like insurance fraud is about to fix everything

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
This Noodler's Neponset seems to handle Burma Road Brown really well. Given this is and the Konrad for Bay State Blue, I have to wonder: how long until I start derailing discussions on Nextdoor with ramblings about Thomas Jefferson and The Constitution?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

This Noodler's Neponset seems to handle Burma Road Brown really well. Given this is and the Konrad for Bay State Blue, I have to wonder: how long until I start derailing discussions on Nextdoor with ramblings about Thomas Jefferson and The Constitution?

The sooner the better.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Anyone here know about the gravitas pens? https://www.gravitaspens.com/shop
I saw them on Peter Draws and the nib looks familiar

grack
Jan 10, 2012

I've done it.

I've found the single stupidest Delta pen ever made.

A pen so atrociously stupid that Delta decided not to actually release it for sale.

This is the greatest day in my life.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

grack posted:

I've done it.

A pen so atrociously stupid that Delta decided not to actually release it for sale.

you can't post poo poo like that and then not post a picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

grack posted:

I've done it.

Oh this’ll be good. What’s the gimmick?