Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

explosivo posted:

My friend bought an elite strap that broke out of nowhere a few days later and I was like well poo poo I guess a people have been having problems with them so that makes sense, then he mentioned off the cuff that he tried picking it up by the arm part of it when it broke and it's like no poo poo it broke. The arms on the side are stupidly fragile and I'm sure some of them are breaking out of nowhere based on how many complaints there were but take care of it, pick it up by the heavy part first, and it should be fine? Does make me wonder how many of these people that had problems with them breaking tried to do the same thing with it when they broke.
Mine broke when I tightened it to snug. I used it for a month.

The tightener is the same as a hardhat and people use those for years and never have anything break.

:iiam:

Bonus: hardhats expire (mostly from UV exposure) there will be a month/year clock dial on the brim.

I've never been issued one that wasn't expired, but they'll keep fine if stored out of the sun. The nice one I bought for myself came in date.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sorry everyone. I just wanted to ask about a VR headset that my parents could potentially use. :(

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been under the impression their end-game is AR rather than VR, so they can have people wearing them in public to look important and sell more devices (see also; the iPhone).

Yeah based on the rumors i would wager the headset is such high resolution, specifically to act as an AR pass through system to get people into building AR apps so the experience is there when the real product is possible. There is still no killer use case for VR, and I don't see apple making a real push for a consumer product until someone has identified that killer use, and they feel they can release a cleaner simpler version of that already demonstrated use.

AR though, the uses are plain as day to anyone, its just the tech thats so hard to accomplish, which is why everything feels like a dry run to getting them up and running.

I'm also not convinced we'll see this rumored $2,000 VR headset. The apple rumor mills rely on having a new rumor to push all the time, that often don't materialize. I remember last year everyone acted like there would be a 'one more thing' and they'd show off iGlasses. I'm sure they have all kinds of stuff internally, but apple doesn't really release 'dev kit' style things like holo lens, and the tech isn't there yet for AR glasses that don't look weird and giant. Is apple [/i]really[/i] going to release a $2000 machine so people can play a port of job simulator, and devs can play around? I'm not convinced.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Internet Explorer posted:

Sorry everyone. I just wanted to ask about a VR headset that my parents could potentially use. :(

Don't worry, the thread retreads this ground about once a week whether you are here or not

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

The anger and frustration is purely because the answer is very clearly and unambiguously the Quest 2, which is loving stupid because why is the boomer social network that does genocide winning VR??? AAaagh!!!

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Lemming posted:

The anger and frustration is purely because the answer is very clearly and unambiguously the Quest 2, which is loving stupid because why is the boomer social network that does genocide winning VR??? AAaagh!!!

It's because we're in the Handmaid's Tale timeline

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Lemming posted:

Because they bought it from the Nazi meme lord?

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

Mine broke when I tightened it to snug. I used it for a month.

The tightener is the same as a hardhat and people use those for years and never have anything break.

:iiam:

Bonus: hardhats expire (mostly from UV exposure) there will be a month/year clock dial on the brim.

I've never been issued one that wasn't expired, but they'll keep fine if stored out of the sun. The nice one I bought for myself came in date.

I had mine for about 6 weeks and it cracked while sitting on my desk. Finished it off just by detaching it from the headset.

Kind of a mixed blessing though, I replaced it with a halo strap and find it way more comfortable.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Lemming posted:

Haha, this is extremely accurate.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

theflyingexecutive posted:

Because they bought it from the Nazi meme lord?

Elon musk used to own oculus?

Wait, let me try again

Pewdiepie used to own oculus?

It is unfortunately hard to tell in 2021 who you might mean when you say “Nazi meme lord”

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Elon musk used to own oculus?

Wait, let me try again

Pewdiepie used to own oculus?

It is unfortunately hard to tell in 2021 who you might mean when you say “Nazi meme lord”

Palmer Luckey.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I've been under the impression their end-game is AR rather than VR, so they can have people wearing them in public to look important and sell more devices (see also; the iPhone).

Didn't that concept get utterly thrashed by the public when it was Google Glass? I suppose Apple fans are cultish enough that it would be considered awesome and stylish if Apple did it though.

Tom Guycot posted:

I'm also not convinced we'll see this rumored $2,000 VR headset. The apple rumor mills rely on having a new rumor to push all the time, that often don't materialize. I remember last year everyone acted like there would be a 'one more thing' and they'd show off iGlasses. I'm sure they have all kinds of stuff internally, but apple doesn't really release 'dev kit' style things like holo lens, and the tech isn't there yet for AR glasses that don't look weird and giant. Is apple [/i]really[/i] going to release a $2000 machine so people can play a port of job simulator, and devs can play around? I'm not convinced.

Are they really making a headset rumored to be $2000? I was just being hyperbolic and throwing out a number, but considering that those foldable Samsung phones are drat near that much and Apple doesn't sell anything for cheap, if it's gonna exist I can only imagine it'll be at least twice the price of an Index, but I would also imagine they'll develop a bunch of gimmicky in-house pack-ins to pull in true believers with money to burn.

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 26, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

This is a game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlIIBMDtc5k

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

StarkRavingMad posted:

Don't worry, the thread retreads this ground about once a week whether you are here or not

Oh thank god, the world doesn't actually revolve around me.

Lemming posted:

Yeah, I totally hear this. I'm honestly just excited that my parents liked VR and there's something on the market for their technical skill level. I certainly did my anti-FB rage earlier in the thread, but hey, they're already using it so where's the harm, right? :)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

raditts posted:

Didn't that concept get utterly thrashed by the public when it was Google Glass? I suppose Apple fans are cultish enough that it would be considered awesome and stylish if Apple did it though.
Are they really making a headset rumored to be $2000? I was just being hyperbolic and throwing out a number, but considering that those foldable Samsung phones are drat near that much and Apple doesn't sell anything for cheap, if it's gonna exist I can only imagine it'll be at least twice the price of an Index, but I would also imagine they'll develop a bunch of gimmicky in-house pack-ins to pull in true believers with money to burn.

Google Glass had the whole "this is always recording video" aspect which led to it collapsing pretty quick once they got banned from pretty much any business. The Apple headset is rumoured to be developer and business focused like the Mac Pro, so it's going to be more comparible to the enterprise version of the Quest than the Index.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

raditts posted:

I mean, its all rumors at this point, just the never ending apple rumor mill chugging away, so who knows, but that was the price in the previous rumor anyways.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

raditts posted:

Like it's been said, it's all rumor at this point... but also it's kinda Apple's MO to let other people make not great early versions then swoop in and make a "just enough better" device and make it famous

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Turin Turambar posted:

AFAIK, no one knows.

Unless you work at Facebook, I mean.

I used to work at Facebook, within Oculus, and the people I usually discuss these things with still do.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Still getting use to the knuckles controllers, holding a shield in the left hand while moving in Blade And Sorcery is a little awkward right now. The clarity of the picture is leaps and bounds an improvement over the Vive and it's so much more comfortable.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

Competition for Compound (another FPS roguelite VR game)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638130/Sweet_Surrender/?utm_campaign=TWI

Coming to Steam and Quest.

I was just about to post this!

https://twitter.com/SalmiGames/status/1396908034358747136?s=20

Looks really promising.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I can't do blade and sorcery with the quest controllers. Not having the full hand tracking isn't the same, the grip button feels like a crude analog where it doesn't in every other title

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

I got so used to the vive grip button being toggle that I'm constantly dropping my weapons when using the sticks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Risk of Rain 2 VR is one of the best mods I've ever played, holy poo poo. Tons of fun but that game is NOT very VR comfy. Woof. Haven't had this happen to me in a while.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Are any of those frunk fans worth getting?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Competition for Compound (another FPS roguelite VR game)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/638130/Sweet_Surrender/?utm_campaign=TWI

Coming to Steam and Quest.

they need to just make void bastards vr already

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Homeless Friend posted:

they need to just make void bastards vr already

I feel like we have enough VR tech demos. Let's get some full games out there. :angel:

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

I used to work at Facebook, within Oculus, and the people I usually discuss these things with still do.

Well, the common perception I've seen on Internet is that obviously Facebook is subsidizing the headset losing a hefty amount of money for each. Interesting if that isn't the case. I think people has grown accustomed to $600-$1000 headsets so when they see one, good and standalone, for $300, it has to mean Facebook is losing $150 on them!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Turin Turambar posted:

Well, the common perception I've seen on Internet is that obviously Facebook is subsidizing the headset losing a hefty amount of money for each. Interesting if that isn't the case. I think people has grown accustomed to $600-$1000 headsets so when they see one, good and standalone, for $300, it has to mean Facebook is losing $150 on them!

I think it really depends on how you do the math, even if it's being sold at hardware cost that could still be considered subsidized because it doesn't include the billions they've dropped on r&d.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

There are some vive pro 2 reviews out there. Or impressions at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eThbmKz6QsY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf3uZ5nGNLE
https://www.pocket-lint.com/ar-vr/reviews/htc/157057-htc-vive-pro-2-review
Translated from German, but it has good points:
https://translate.google.com/transl...-grossem-fov%2F

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 27, 2021

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Folks grousing about phones and stuff having cameras and microphones to monitor you really don't grasp how wildly inefficient and a waste of effort that would be to harvest your data to advertise stuff to you. Your smart speaker doesn't record you 24/7 because it doesn't need to.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Warbird posted:

Folks grousing about phones and stuff having cameras and microphones to monitor you really don't grasp how wildly inefficient and a waste of effort that would be to harvest your data to advertise stuff to you. Your smart speaker doesn't record you 24/7 because it doesn't need to.

Lol, what you're missing is it's just not advertising stuff to you, it's selling you onwards. Guess why your medical insurance just went up, or got denied? Your Beat Saber session's documented your poor stamina and range of motion.

A company doesn't have to poll for poo poo when they can just pay Facebook to parse a couple thousand hours of continuously-recorded AI logs to find people are consistently talking about [TOPIC/PRODUCT] in a [POSITIVE/NEGATIVE] manner in realtime.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All this aside it did feel good to press the “nah gently caress you” button when the Facebook app asked if it could track me

I guess thanks, Tim

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

All this aside it did feel good to press the “nah gently caress you” button when the Facebook app asked if it could track me

I guess thanks, Tim

The best way to say 'gently caress Facebook, you can't track me' is use Firefox as browser, even more that disallowing tracking on mobile app, as they block the tracking cookies pretty well, and you can add uBlock Origin or similar of course. FB is one of the biggest (the biggest?) ad tracker provider for the whole Internet. Search 'facebook pixel'.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The new DLC for Beat Saber

quote:

The DLC is now available and features 7 tracks from artists signed to Interscope Records, available as a bundle for $9.99 or individually for $1.99 each. Here’s the full tracklist:

Kendrick Lamar – DNA.
LMFAO ft. Lauren Bennett, GoonRock – Party Rock Anthem
OneRepublic – Counting Stars
The Pussycat Dolls – Don’t Cha
Limp Bizkit – Rollin’ (Air Raid Vehicle)
Maroon 5 – Sugar
Gwen Stefani – The Sweet Escape ft. Akon

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drat, saw Interscope and was hoping for like Primus and NIN

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

There is one Gwen Stefani song people would actually want as a DLC track and that one ain't it.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Turin Turambar posted:

The new DLC for Beat Saber

ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN'

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Everyone is all doom and gloom about "They track your gameplay and now your health insurance increased cause you're unfit!" but have you all considered getting a swole friend to play for you and artificially increase your stamina gauge so your insurance goes down? :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Deathlove posted:

ROLLIN' ROLLIN' ROLLIN'

I don't know this song so I just assume Limp Bizket covered the theme from Rawhide