Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Luke is a dude who escaped to Canada when Gilead took over and doesn’t live there. Why would him being black bother you?

I think it's implied in the book that minorities (esp Black people and Jews) were under the same travel restrictions as women and would not have been able to escape to Canada or elsewhere. As such it wouldn't be likely that Book Luke was Black.

Again though, I think the show is better for the addition of Luke and Moira and other characters that are Black/PoC though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it's implied in the book that minorities (esp Black people and Jews) were under the same travel restrictions as women and would not have been able to escape to Canada or elsewhere. As such it wouldn't be likely that Book Luke was Black.

Again though, I think the show is better for the addition of Luke and Moira and other characters that are Black/PoC though.

He literally snuck there? Like he didn't just buy a ticket to canada on the local bus route or something.

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Just caught up with the show and the thread. I think a lot of you saying June's mindset in the last ep doesn't make sense are being pretty beep-boop about it.

(I don't remember the TVIV spoiler rules so I'm erring on the side of caution.)

You know how ridiculous and crazy it was when June stayed behind in S2? She knows it was crazy, too. She staked everything on the belief that she would be able to get Hannah out even though that was twice as unlikely as being able to get herself out.

Now it's a year or something later and she has another way out, but accepting that means admitting to others and to herself that she stayed behind for no reason, that she completely failed as a mother, that her actions drove Hannah *farther* away from her, that she spent another year being tortured without accomplishing the one thing that mattered to her, and that there is zero real hope that she and Luke will ever have their daughter back. Plus she has a brain injury, which I don't think we're supposed to take as "Oh, she's out of her gourd," but it does make it even harder for her to process something that was already very difficult to process.

June overcoming that hurdle and deciding that accepting this tremendous blow as fact, and trying to rebuild a life outside Gilead, is preferable to death, is actually a really big step. This is not an episode where little happened. The scene with Moira by the lifeboat was totally earned and necessary and I'm satisfied with how the show played it.

That being said, the irritating thing (well, the most irritating thing) about this show since that S2 finale is that I can't trust it at all. I didn't trust that Moira wasn't going to decide to put her on the lifeboat, or to get on the boat with her. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch an episode of this show up to the finale without thinking that they could just decide to somehow throw her back in Gilead in the red dress, and that's really frustrating. With other shows I might get nervous about what characters will decide to do; with this one it's just about what the show will decide to do.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
what the gently caress handmaid’s tale

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I too love to visit maximum security prisons in the middle of the night. It's fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
i’m still not over that rape scene what the ACTUAL gently caress handmaids tale

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Uhhhhhhhh what the gently caress June

Melvitty
Oct 13, 2005

All the ponies in this town
are
CRAZY!

Escobarbarian posted:

i’m still not over that rape scene what the ACTUAL gently caress handmaids tale

Yeah, same. I’ve rolled my eyes, scoffed, or laughed at a lot of the far-fetched or downright silly choices in this show, but I was taken aback in disgusted disbelief at that scene. Just... Jesus. Just when I thought June couldn’t be more unlikable.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I understand why they did it in the context of what came just before (June reclaiming power over Serena) but they cannot possibly be expecting us to support June after this episode.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

so uhhh this last episode made me seek this thread out because WHAT THE gently caress

i have felt the show has been going steadily downhill since season one but jesus christ ??????? now june is the villain ?????????

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

flashy_mcflash posted:

I understand why they did it in the context of what came just before (June reclaiming power over Serena) but they cannot possibly be expecting us to support June after this episode.

the creepy final monologue was not 'reclaiming her power' it was 'sketching out her plan' ... totally nuts

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Nah, June is perfect, that's why she had that big monologue at the end about how awful Serena is, to remind us that June is good and Serena is bad

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Propaniac posted:

Nah, June is perfect, that's why she had that big monologue at the end about how awful Serena is, to remind us that June is good and Serena is bad

are they ever going to address the many handmaidens and marthas june led to their deaths?

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Owlspiracy posted:

are they ever going to address the many handmaidens and marthas june led to their deaths?

She has the biggest body county in the show.

I get the scene - I guess. She wants to feel in control, specifically regarding her reproductive aspects and sexuality.

Is this what they meant when they said "things happen" this season? More rape, but with a twist!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

This isn't even new territory for June, she did the same thing to Nick when she was hiding out in the Boston Globe newsroom. It's super hosed up and I really hope it's something in service of showing how messed up June is and not some "reclaiming her power #girlboss" poo poo because yikes otherwise.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

I think they thought it was handled well because of the earlier conversation about how sex for the other survivors has been challenging - but instead it was handled horribly, and combined with the previous scene, her comments about only rescuing children to punish others, and the final monologue make her seem like a bizarre villain

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
:stonk: Wtf June. But Serena still continues to be the absolute worst and that one scene was mighty satisfying.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

actually i just read a review of the episode and they reached out to the writers about the uh, "scene" and jesus christ

The Handmaid’s Tale writers room aimed to capture the unvarnished “truth” of what June’s return would look like through this upsetting scene. “We all want a fairy tale ending for June. I really, really do,” episode writer Yahlin Chang told Refinery29 over email. “Is it realistic, given what this particular character has gone through … given her years in Gilead and all the trauma and violence that has infused her life there (and some of which she has been forced to inflict), that on this particular day right after she left Gilead that she could instantly snap into a super healthy and tender intimate relationship with Luke?”

The answer to Chang’s question, as the scene proves, is a hard “no.” The writer/producer recognizes as much after speaking with psychologists and trauma experts on the hypotheticals of June’s experience. “Is it more honest to the character that issues of power and dominance along with just the thrill of escapism have creeped into her relationship to sex,” Yang continued, “And that sex might be more enmeshed with some of those issues rather than being about an intimate loving connection with the husband you haven’t seen in years?”

just straight loving garbage

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

they coulda just said "yeah june walked across the border in minnesota" or something and not hosed over the aid group lol

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fellatio del Toro posted:

they coulda just said "yeah june walked across the border in minnesota" or something and not hosed over the aid group lol

Yeah this feels like forced drama, hell it's weird this is the tipping point in no further aid or anything when capturing a top Commander and his Wife wasn't.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The aid group seems pretty loving stupid anyway to not realize that she'd be an important political asset and they shouldn't get shut down for rescuing her, especially since the alternatives were giving her up to assuredly be murdered or throwing her off the side of the boat.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Am I the only one who interpreted that Luke was apprehensive because he was unsure of her readiness to engage in sex? They already alluded to that earlier with the kissing scene.

I feel like everyone screaming "sexual assault" have never actually been in an abusive relationship because that's not how it works. The reason men are so rarely victims of sexual assault by women is because most men can easily defend themselves against it barring drugs, alcohol, or emotional abuse.

Like if I was Luke and wasn't into it I would have been like nah, you're off me now, chill out. June is obviously extremely hosed up but I don't see this putting her in sexual abuser territory unless there's some June hyperstrength super power plot they haven't revealed yet.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And for the record I do think June is #girlboss

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Escobarbarian posted:

what the gently caress handmaid’s tale

Turns out the truth was in the middle and that heroes and villians were on both sides all along. Truly experiencing rape and abuse makes all victims rapists; definitely a real thing and not an utterly cynical and contrived plot point on a story that's rapidly running out of steam.

Very cool, thanks writers!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Dolphin posted:

Am I the only one who interpreted that Luke was apprehensive because he was unsure of her readiness to engage in sex? They already alluded to that earlier with the kissing scene.

I feel like everyone screaming "sexual assault" have never actually been in an abusive relationship because that's not how it works. The reason men are so rarely victims of sexual assault by women is because most men can easily defend themselves against it barring drugs, alcohol, or emotional abuse.

Like if I was Luke and wasn't into it I would have been like nah, you're off me now, chill out. June is obviously extremely hosed up but I don't see this putting her in sexual abuser territory unless there's some June hyperstrength super power plot they haven't revealed yet.

The showrunner acknowledges that it crosses a line into something forced in the quote posted earlier so, no, this show does not warrant a charitable reading.

It's easy to say how you would've reacted to a woman assaulting you but he could've been biologically willing but still not wanting sex in that moment, which is still rape on June's part.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Dolphin posted:

He said wait multiple times and she covered his mouth and held his arm down. Yes he could have overpowered her probably but he also knows she's in a fragile physical state so he wasn't ready to fight back like that. It was rape.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Right like what are people expecting here, him throwing her to the ground and yelling 'NO!'? There was no way he was going to bring himself to physically stop her here, especially so soon after being reunited with her, this was in no uncertain terms coercive.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

they explicitly wrote it as a rape scene

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I didn't think they could do it, but this show got even worse :newlol:

At least I know I can just fast forward through any parts that don't have actual action going on since it's mostly just people talking quietly, sniveling or just staring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The scene that the title of this week’s episode is a reference to (I figure most people will know what it is but I’m being vague just in case) was SO loving good omg. It can be easy to take Elisabeth Moss for granted given how much we see of her in this show but she really is such an incredible performer, holy poo poo.

No idea if the rest of the episode will suck or not but that was an absolutely fantastic scene. Fred is such a loving lunatic lmao

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

While reading the thread, partway down the page I thought that June had somehow gotten access to Fred or Serena and raped one of them. Which really would have made much more sense and even been somewhat understandable, as far as these things go. this loving show ugghhhh

e: this episode felt three hours long

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jun 2, 2021

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Best episode since maybe season one, imo. It managed to convey the individual human effects of facism as well as the bigger societal threat of how it can spread and take hold. It also, in a week where we irl found the graves of 215 dead indigenous children due to Canada's rotten history, threw cold water on the idea of Canada as some kind of paradise that's insulated from that threat, which is how it's been presented in the show up to this point.

Even on a production level it was perfect, though I'm biased since Portishead is my hands down favourite band. I've been down on this season for the most part up until now but this episode kicked my rear end.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Jun 3, 2021

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm completely ok with June become a ball of hate and anger as long as she directs it at Gillead. So far jase don what we've seen with her and Luke that doesn't look like it's the case.

Either way I'm actually enjoying this season. Which is a little surprising for me considering how I didn't care much Defoe season 3.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I feel like it's directed squarely against Gilead but you can't just put that in a box, it'll seep into other parts of your life too.

Unrelated: Bradley Whitford telling Lydia to her face that no one likes her and everyone likes June is the funniest thing I've seen on tv this week

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
lol @ the Waterfords having fans.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

mcmagic posted:

Seriously, if the Gilead underground in canada breaks them out or something I'll riot.

Episode good, I think this season is an improvement over 3, actual stuff is happening!

June taking over the group and spreading her psycho energy is fun.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Quick question: is there anyone who thinks this season isn’t going to end with June going back to Gilead?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Escobarbarian posted:

Quick question: is there anyone who thinks this season isn’t going to end with June going back to Gilead?

If she does, it'd better be on a well-prepared commando mission.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

mllaneza posted:

If she does, it'd better be on a well-prepared commando mission.

Yeah, I believe we're still waiting on the reemergence of Chekhov's Nighthawks. That feels like it'd be a good fit for June, and there's plenty of story opportunity there for the next season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Being in the stupidest timeline irl with QAnon, etc this is maybe the most believable thing about this season. Of course a certain subset of people will rally behind Strong Rapist Daddy just trying to bring about god's plan.