Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

fritz posted:

hirundo 3 minutes ago [–]

You're an engineer if you do engineering, regardless of your credentials. You aren't an "<insert-credential-here> Engineer", but the mere noun doesn't claim that. The Minnesota Board of Engineering Licensure is a bully that should be leashed by the first amendment.
This is probably a reasonable take in this situation though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

mystes posted:

This is probably a reasonable take in this situation though.

Lol this specific argument is like 10% of all thread derails in the pos

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's at least on topic for the article it's a comment on which is more than anyone can say here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mystes posted:

It's at least on topic for the article it's a comment on which is more than anyone can say here.

not really, its about this: https://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2021/5/23/lawsuit
the current dispute is whether this guy presented himself as a professional engineer while his license had lapsed which has nothing to do with the "computer science isn't real engineering" stuff, everyone understands the phrase "professional engineer" means something specific

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
i think you greatly overestimate how much of "everyone" knows that (or cares).

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Plorkyeran posted:

yeah it predates jp's lobster poo poo

every time i've looked at lobsters it's seemed indistinguishable from hn so i've never seen a point in continuing to look at it

Up until right now I thought it was just an HN mirror.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

In the UK at least there is an engineering Council accrediting body for computer touching that can award titles, I know because they wouldn't let me claim chartered status because I couldn't show enough project management experience or something (this is pretty funny by itself imo)

so i got one level down and can legally put IEng after my name, I wind up my real engineer friends by telling them that idiots like me are devaluing the profession

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
HN discusses the homeless (again)

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27297971

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

if computer touchers are engineers why don't people go to jail for data breaches

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

fisting by many posted:

if computer touchers are engineers why don't people go to jail for data breaches

I’ve got some bad news about actual engineers

mystes
May 31, 2006

There's this article "How I raised a $5.1M seed as a first-time, female, solo founder for a biotech company" about this person raising VC money for her -- I poo poo you not -- dog antiaging medicine startup.

What's funny is that dang actually has a comment whining about how too many HN users are flagging the article and threatening he'll take away flagging privileges from people for doing it:

quote:

dang 32 minutes ago [–]

This article got a lot of user flags. That's bad—it's obviously a substantive article, squarely on topic for HN and not sensational, ideological, or predictable. Even a quick skim is enough to see that it doesn't break down along any of the obvious faultlines for this general topic. That not only means it shouldn't have been flagged, it makes it HN gold. If you've been wielding the flag club that indiscriminately...please stop! Accounts that do that lose their flagging rights.

It's not legit to flag an article just because you don't like the general category. There must also be something about the specific article itself that's demonstrably bad for HN (for example, maybe the article doesn't contain substantial new information, is gratuitously baity, or is mostly fuel for internet drama). None of that is the case here—quite the opposite. This is just the sort of article we should welcome, so we can have substantive discussions about relevant issues instead of hurling the same old nasty platitudes at each other yet again. (Can a platitude be nasty? or do I need a different word?)

A thousand thank-yous to the user who took the time to email about this while the thread was still fresh; I wasn't focused on the HN front page just then, but I got the heads-up. If you ever want to make a big difference to HN quality, emailing hn@ycombinator.com when you notice solid, substantive content not getting the attention it deserves (whether because of flags or for any other reason) is one of the highest-leverage contributions you can make!

Also one part that's funny from the original article:

quote:

I targeted Silicon Valley + NYC tech & biotech VCs. While their biotech expertise is unparalleled, I did not talk to traditional East Coast biotech VCs as I don’t believe I fit their implicit founder thesis and their standard deals for pre-lead drug biotechs are generally very dilutive (think — selling 50–80% of your company! Although for much more money than I raised here.)

Generally speaking, West Coast biotech investors loved the science but got stuck on the pet market and whether it could support a $1B+ company. Tech funds salivated over the market, but needed more time to get comfortable with the scientific risk. In the end, my cap table ended up largely being tech VCs.
So basically biotech VCs wouldn't touch her startup and she had to get money from other VCs who don't actually know about the field her startup is in, but that's because she didn't "fit their implicit founder thesis" (i.e. they're sexist but she won't actually say that because her target audience for the article wouldn't like that) not because lol dog antiaging drugs.

mystes fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 28, 2021

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
speedrunning the theranos playbook is probably easier since there’s no FDA for dogs

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
it's a pretty solid scam all around

people willing to buy mystery drugs to extend the life of their dogs probably spend enough money on their dogs that they will live longer than usual anyway

even if they don't, it'll take the better part of a decade for anyone to notice the product doesn't loving work, and there's a 0% chance the founder and vcs will still be attached to this company and holding the bag in 10 years

selling a tiger-repelling pebble, silicon valley moron edition

Internet Janitor fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 28, 2021

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I think this is literally a Nasreddin parable except the animal in question is a donkey

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

quote:

> any actually concerned consumer (any reasonable thinking consumer) will simply look at the nutrition label when making purchase decisions.

That isn't the definition of a reasonable consumer. Reasonable people don't have infinite time to second guess everything that people trusted to give them health information are saying. If they imply it's healthy and they're trusted to tell you whether it's healthy or not (i.e. they're trusted to publish nutritional information on their bottle), then a reasonable person should be able to trust the implication. We've all got too much to do to assume that someone is both misleading and telling the truth at the same time.

As for names, the could have called it Nigglepuff Drink. Nigglepuff Drink does not imply any untrue health claims and it is not associated with any f&b products.

what a weird turn of phras:fart:

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

hnlmorg 1 minute ago [–]

The commute isn't always dead time though. For me, the 3hr round trip was spent playing computer games on my Nintendo Switch, or reading a book, or just letting my mind wander while listening to music. All of these are activities I don't get time to do at home because of the thousand other commitments I have at home.
You'd think working from home would give people more free time, but that's not always the case, for example if you have small children. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my family, but the commute was the only "me time" I had in a given day and I miss that dearly.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

this is why men historically had a study.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Internet Janitor posted:

people willing to buy mystery drugs to extend the life of their dogs probably spend enough money on their dogs that they will live longer than usual anyway

see also: every fad diet that requires people to think for the briefest of moments about what they eat

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

narrator 30 minutes ago [–]

One thing I actually like on Facebook are the ads. I am into some very niche interests and they always show me interesting new products in that niche instead of broadly targeted stuff I don't want or need.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
people really appreciate a targeted brand experience said no one ever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i love to engage with my favorite brands

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Sagebrush posted:

i love to engage with my favorite brands

the algorithm is very confused when if I turn off adblock, it shows me ads for quick setting concrete, industrial equipment for food processing, and animal castration tools.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

it thinks ur a farmer

are you a farmer?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

fritz posted:

narrator 30 minutes ago [–]

One thing I actually like on Facebook are the ads. I am into some very niche interests and they always show me interesting new products in that niche instead of broadly targeted stuff I don't want or need.

First thing that came to my mind is that they really like those targeted shirts.

"I'm a Capricorn born in 1984 who drives a forklift and enjoys Lynyrd Skynyrd. Got a problem?!?!"

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

fritz posted:

hnlmorg 1 minute ago [–]

The commute isn't always dead time though. For me, the 3hr round trip was spent playing computer games on my Nintendo Switch, or reading a book, or just letting my mind wander while listening to music. All of these are activities I don't get time to do at home because of the thousand other commitments I have at home.
You'd think working from home would give people more free time, but that's not always the case, for example if you have small children. Don't get me wrong, I love spending time with my family, but the commute was the only "me time" I had in a given day and I miss that dearly.

I deeply regret that WFH forces me to take on three hours of unpaid labour that would otherwise fall to my wife.

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

fritz posted:

hnlmorg 1 minute ago [–]

this person makes me sad

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

fritz posted:

hnlmorg 1 minute ago [–]

jade emperor in heaven, i don't know what to say if you can tolerate a 3 hour commute and act like it's a daily treat

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

dioxazine posted:

jade emperor in heaven, i don't know what to say if you can tolerate a 3 hour commute and act like it's a daily treat

home workers can have a little commute, as a treat

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

home workers can have a little commute, as a treat

they're sending me back to the office either two days a week or three days a week depending on what the c-suites want :negative:

mystes
May 31, 2006

dioxazine posted:

Being a super commuter is a super power, like being a supertaster.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Noos 4 minutes ago [dead] | parent | flag | vouch | favorite | on: California Bill to Decriminalize Psychedelics Is A...

Great, the hacker news psychedelic circlejerk is back in force. Dang, can we please ban these articles? There's zero point in even discussing them, because the mentality is completely one sided. There's no "curiosity" in drug legalization here, because its obvious everyone thinks its a 100% good unless its a low status drug like alcohol or meth.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

koheripbal 2 hours ago | parent [–] | on: Amazon has a quota for the number of employees it ...

The source article actually provides no evidence of "hire-to-fire" practices. It simply states that there is a target URA of 6% and that's it.
The article posted here is pure speculation.
...and having worked for other large companies, I've seen similar metrics being tracked. It doesn't mean any of them are hiring just to fire people.
Frankly, I've noticed a LOT of poorly written anti-Amazon articles around, and I'm not clear if there's some effort to undermine the company. Is Amazon a political organization?

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

DaTroof posted:

this person makes me sad

dioxazine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4AoSBqY_GI

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
WFH rules, that guy is a freak

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MGs1-bfiYFQ

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

jaas 7 minutes ago [–]

This is not a debate about whether anyone thinks the rat is being treated well. That is beside the point.
The rat did not consent to this (because it can’t), so this is, factually, forced labor.
Second, you can’t do something heroically if you either 1) don’t know what you are doing and what the risks are or 2) there are no risks. Take your pick, but either way it isn’t heroic.
If I was given total control over your life and made you work for me, would you be ok with that so long as, according to me, I treated you well enough? I doubt it.
Edit: To be clear, I think this story about the rat and what it did is cool, it makes me happy, but I do agree with OP that the language of the story misrepresents the reality of the situation.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

please tell me this is a post about ratatouille

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
so YC has a private forum for “YC alumni” and someone—in March—talked about how they went to a low-income-and-underserved-community vaccine clinics in Oakland and got vaccinated and how other founders could too

another YC “alumnus,” Paul Biggar, lambasted them for skipping the queue, since we’re in the middle of a global loving pandemic and making sure vaccines go to the right populations is kind of important

then Paul tweeted about the incident—and that got him “kicked out” of YC (i.e. banned from the forum)

look at how dang, a “Hacker” “News” admin, frames the discussion:

dang 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: LOL just got kicked out of @ycombinator

The submitted title was "Y Combinator kicks out Paul Biggar over a tweet". That is inaccurate, so in keeping with the HN guidelines ("Please use the original title, unless it is misleading or linkbait; don't editorialize." https://news.ycombinator.com/newsguidelines.html), I've replaced the title with the tweet text. That's the standard thing we do with titles, when people post Twitter links.

Much as I'd love to, it's not my place to say why the original title was inaccurate, so I'll just remind you all that there are two or more sides to every story and not everything on Twitter is true.

In keeping with the rule that we moderate HN less, not more, when YC or a YC startup is involved (https://hn.algolia.com/?dateRange=all&page=0&prefix=false&query=by%3Adang%20moderate%20less%20%22not%20more%22%20yc&sort=byDate&type=comment), I'm not doing anything else to the submission. Normally, of course, we'd downweight this sort of petty drama.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
the worst thing you can possibly do is not follow YC’s rules or talk poorly about Paul Graham

for example, someone in that thread claimed it was bad that Sam Altman “bro’d up” YC, and this response got downvoted to the point I had difficulty finding it…

geofft 5 hours ago [–]

pg believes the Civil War wasn't actually about slavery (http://www.paulgraham.com/marginal.html), so I'm not sure that Sam actually made the place worse.

lol Paul Graham is loving trash

Standish
May 21, 2001

eschaton posted:

dang 4 hours ago | parent | flag | favorite | on: LOL just got kicked out of @ycombinator

The submitted title was "Y Combinator kicks out Paul Biggar over a tweet". That is inaccurate, so in keeping with the HN guidelines ("Please use the original title, unless it is misleading or linkbait; don't editorialize." https://news.ycombinator.com/newsguidelines.html), I've replaced the title with the tweet text. That's the standard thing we do with titles, when people post Twitter links.

Much as I'd love to, it's not my place to say why the original title was inaccurate, so I'll just remind you all that there are two or more sides to every story and not everything on Twitter is true.
This is just a work of art, the way they imply but don't actually say that this Biggar person is guilty of some unspecified and horrifying misdeed that was the real reason he got the boot but they're just too polite to say what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

greenwich26 4 minutes ago [–]

Why are governments allowed to collude like this? Isn't this the same idea as price fixing? Exploiting their monopoly (governments' monopoly on the right to do commerce) to unfairly raise prices (taxes)?
The world needs at least somewhere where you can opt-out from Western neoliberalism and socialism.