Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

BlindSite posted:

Bisping knocked out Rockhold on ten days notice and then poo poo talked him while downing beers.

He owns.

Bisping had an all time media week at UFC 199. Incredible performance at both the pre and post fight press conferences.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I miss post-fight press conferences with everyone present, Bisping clowning Rockhold is an all time classic

chaleski fucked around with this message at 00:17 on May 27, 2021

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Odds just follow the bets, no?

Makes sense Conor is favourite, because he still has people who think he's an unbeatable monster and he's highly popular.
It's not a reflection of reality

Not that I know but bookies aren't really in to gambling.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CarlCX posted:

McGregor did well enough in the first round that people buy into the 'he's gonna adjust to the calf kicks and win this time' narrative.

Which is especially funny since he managed to lose the first fight in exactly the time frame that he usually wins. It's not like he looks better after the second round. So even if he adjusts and survives a bit longer against the calf kicks, he's a fighter who looks bad late fighting a guy who seems to fight and hit hard really well forever.

Foul Fowl posted:

yeah but in the intervening years he somehow figured out how to be a much funnier and pleasant one to listen to. it's also very hard not to have tons of respect for his career and how he won the title. he also has a very strong case for being the most likely not to have used PEDs in ufc history.

Being the one guy in his era and division with really good cardio weakens that case

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1397721991713484804

you get the sense maybe dana white isn't quite ready to forgive yair rodriguez

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Snowman_McK posted:

Being the one guy in his era and division with really good cardio weakens that case

I'm inclined to disagree, consider the frames of his competitors, those dudes were huuuuge. Tim Kennedy springs to mind. Yoel. Bisping was a relatively straight up straight down pillow fisted cardio machine. He even said he was sitting down on his punches with rockhold because he didn't have his cardio at where he was most comfortable. I kinda get the impression he might have been a bit old fashioned about it even. Lots of road work.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CarlCX posted:

https://twitter.com/bokamotoESPN/status/1397721991713484804

you get the sense maybe dana white isn't quite ready to forgive yair rodriguez

gently caress this is so good, hadn't even considered that matchup

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

reeg posted:

gently caress this is so good, hadn't even considered that matchup

Man, I do not like that matchup. From a boring divisional standpoint Rodriguez's best win is Zombie and that was three years ago and arguably not even a top ten fight and sending him all the way up to fight the #2 guy in the division is a fuckin' leap, especially after two years of inactivity, and from a 'will it be good' standpoint unless Yair's been doing some real crazy poo poo during his time off Holloway is going to beat the absolute loving poo poo out of him which admittedly would actually be kind of fun in a terrifying way

i dunno, it feels so much like a "Dana wants to give Max a showcase for a title shot" fight to me

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

CarlCX posted:

Man, I do not like that matchup. From a boring divisional standpoint Rodriguez's best win is Zombie and that was three years ago and arguably not even a top ten fight and sending him all the way up to fight the #2 guy in the division is a fuckin' leap, especially after two years of inactivity, and from a 'will it be good' standpoint unless Yair's been doing some real crazy poo poo during his time off Holloway is going to beat the absolute loving poo poo out of him which admittedly would actually be kind of fun in a terrifying way

i dunno, it feels so much like a "Dana wants to give Max a showcase for a title shot" fight to me

I will of course never be surprised if Max beats the absolute loving poo poo out of someone but I think Yair (if he's been training for the last two years and not just sitting around healing up) can make a real fight of it. I think he has less power than a Calvin Kattar but can possibly keep up on numbers with Max in a way Calvin couldn't. I'm excited to find out! I also think it's a better matchup for Yair than Zabit, which I suspect would have been a nightmare for him if they ever made it to the cage

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Southpaugh posted:

I'm inclined to disagree, consider the frames of his competitors, those dudes were huuuuge. Tim Kennedy springs to mind. Yoel. Bisping was a relatively straight up straight down pillow fisted cardio machine. He even said he was sitting down on his punches with rockhold because he didn't have his cardio at where he was most comfortable. I kinda get the impression he might have been a bit old fashioned about it even. Lots of road work.

There are PEDs that boost cardio without making you huge. Considering how much Bisping was content to cheat in the octagon, it's weird to think he wouldn't cheat outside of it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Southpaugh posted:

I kinda get the impression he might have been a bit old fashioned about it even. Lots of road work.

Rampage had this to say, some time after he'd trained at Wolfslair:
"Normally I mind my own business but recently Bisping did an interview where he said people who use TRT are cheating and poo poo like that, that didn't sit well with me because people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. There's a lot worse stuff out there than testosterone, that's all I'm saying"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bisping used to brag that he had a resting heart rate that was in the 20s or 30s or something

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
hmm. we have a pillowfisted man known to drink and get extremely out of shape between fights with a legendary gas tank. this will take all of my skills to unravel.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

Considering how much Bisping was content to cheat in the octagon, it's weird to think he wouldn't cheat outside of it.

No it’s not, at all. I’ve said it before but in the ufc you’re allowed to cheat in the octagon a little bit, til they tell you stop. A little cheating is fine according to the refs, but not too much

Bisping he talked way way way too much poo poo about dopers and seems so legitimately proud of himself for beating guys that were all caught cheating for me to believe it

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i absolutely believe bisping was unconcerned about popping for elevated testosterone. just as i believe he was waking up twice a night to hop on an airbike so the sludge in his veins would keep him alive

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Chael P Sonnen posted:

“I believe in clean sport and I have used performing enhancing drugs. Does that make me a hypocrite? Maybe — but it doesn’t make me wrong.”

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This forum: Bisping... on the roids? Yes.
Also this forum: Weidman is clean.

reeg
Jul 5, 2002

looks clean to me

https://twitter.com/chrisweidman/status/1387015274621280258?s=20

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud
Dude has been fighting since 2004. Everyone did all of the steroids. Who cares.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

weidman took absolutely loads of short notice fights and although it looks like (on paper) his performance fell off a cliff after usada i will argue that weidman's losses to rockhold and romero was primarily caused by the worst in-cage decision in history and not having the skull density required to absorb a flying knee from someone who looks like and is yoel romero respectively.

this isn't saying he never doped, but i'm saying if he had he was very good at it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

No it’s not, at all. I’ve said it before but in the ufc you’re allowed to cheat in the octagon a little bit, til they tell you stop. A little cheating is fine according to the refs, but not too much

gouging people's eyes out and throwing the most blatant illegal knee until Petr Yan is too much and its weird to say it out loud.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

A lot of folks who fell off a cliff seemed to do so after the IV ban. I think a lot of the cases we all collectively attribute to PED's is just the effect of that ban.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Here is an interesting piece on techniques to hydrate post ban, it seems like the largest difference as you would imagine is the IV is more immediate but there would have been other ways to not have your performance impacted.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/d7mgn7/fight-doctor-the-physiology-of-dehydration-and-best-way-to-rehydrate-without-an-iv

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

If bisping was on EPO then I have to say I have a much lower opinion of him now... because why go on the juice if you're not going to look like Peak Vitor? Or be able to do crazy poo poo like yoels workout routines? Building cardio isn't even difficult its just boring.

Weidman was juiced to the gills his whole career imo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Southpaugh posted:

If bisping was on EPO then I have to say I have a much lower opinion of him now... because why go on the juice if you're not going to look like Peak Vitor? Or be able to do crazy poo poo like yoels workout routines? Building cardio isn't even difficult its just boring.

Superhuman gas tank is a huuuuge advantage

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Gonna heal up real nice

Southpaugh posted:

Building cardio isn't even difficult its just boring.

Correct which is why no one in cycling has ever used EPO.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

mewse posted:

Superhuman gas tank is a huuuuge advantage

Well, yes of course it is.

kimbo305 posted:

Correct which is why no one in cycling has ever used EPO.

He wasn't doing the tour de france and he was hardly running through the competition, he was a decision guy. He got the champion shot because Rockhold didn't rate him. There were better drugs to be on thats all I'm saying. I'm sure being able to consistently decision people was good for his bank balance and it was a smart move in that regard.

Are Nick and Nate clean? Is weed the ultimate PED?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Southpaugh posted:

Are Nick and Nate clean? Is weed the ultimate PED?

Nate said "all you motherfuckers are on steroids, the whole ufc" and he is a member of the UFC, so that doesn't bode well for him.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Southpaugh posted:

There were better drugs to be on thats all I'm saying.

I dunno about that. TJ on EPO was pretty drat good. Having more gas for training camp and in general can be a huge edge. And sure, your other attributes still need to be good, but "cardio is easy and the only reason fighters don't have more is because training it is boring" doesn't hold weight.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Didn't TJ have some gnarly gyno as well

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

mewse posted:

Didn't TJ have some gnarly gyno as well

Yes, I distinctly remember that discussion cuz when I posted the screenshot from an event promo of said gyno, someone was like, wow are you posting one handed, which was a non sequitur but also shut down the conversation.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

kimbo305 posted:

I dunno about that. TJ on EPO was pretty drat good. Having more gas for training camp and in general can be a huge edge. And sure, your other attributes still need to be good, but "cardio is easy and the only reason fighters don't have more is because training it is boring" doesn't hold weight.

I'm being flippant for the sake of posting, the supplements and the EPO and all the rest of it is so fighters can stay in their preferred weight range while still training technique and cardio without losing muscle mass. It's going to come down to the individual athlete what the best mix of training/food/supplements is going to be.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I think that we can agree that Dillashaw ideal mix was not 700 vitamins and a scoop of peanut butter

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Hey, Bang charged $25 a jar. Must have been something special.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Southpaugh posted:

Weidman was juiced to the gills his whole career imo.

Hahaha yikes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

TJ's change, in retrospect, is blindlingly obvious. The first fight against Assuncao, he looks amazing in the first round, but gasses out as hard as I've seen anyone gas below 205. Then, 6 months later, he puts on a virtuoso five round performance against an extremely dangerous opponent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm surprised that more fighters haven't popped for EPO over the years.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Nierbo posted:

Hahaha yikes.

:rolleyes:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Remember when Chad$ popped for HGH, he blamed some therapeutic cream for it, but he would have literally needed to swim in the stuff to get to the levels he hit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Remember when Chad$ popped for HGH, he blamed some therapeutic cream for it, but he would have literally needed to swim in the stuff to get to the levels he hit?

haha yeah that was drat near brazilian

tj sure hooked those boys up