Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

nwin posted:

Vroom offered me 31k for my 2020 4x4 ranger supercrew xlt. I’m going to try Shift and Carmax but Carvana is the hugest at 37,500 right now. I only paid 35k for it brand new.

Take it and run........Carvana's offer will decrease significantly if you let it expire and pump in the VIN again. They were the highest for me as well initially but I let it expire.

There will always be new trucks to check out in a few years!

My Silverado was right over 3 years and I was pretty much done with it, and I didn't overpay for it - so easy sell for me. It was a very good truck though!

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Keyser_Soze posted:

Take it and run........Carvana's offer will decrease significantly if you let it expire and pump in the VIN again. They were the highest for me as well initially but I let it expire.

There will always be new trucks to check out in a few years!

I let it expire and when I reran it it ended up $500 higher. Not going to chance it a third time though.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Carmax offered me $1600 more than carvana for what it’s worth, but since my truck has yet to be built I haven’t followed through and figured out if either offer is real

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ethanol posted:

Carmax offered me $1600 more than carvana for what it’s worth, but since my truck has yet to be built I haven’t followed through and figured out if either offer is real

Carmax wouldn’t give me a quote online because they say there isn’t a lot of trucks like mine to find a correct price to offer, so they’re making me come in for it. Kinda thinking I should just do Carvana.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Carmax appraisal is super easy if you do go in. With covid they just take some pictures and send it whoever. I just sold them a car a couple weeks ago. Carvana doesn’t operate in my area apparently so I couldn’t get a quote.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
We sold our EV to carvana because the payoff was a good 4k over KBB. I did an insane deep clean, polish and ceramic sealant.

Drove up, we turned it on so they could get an odometer reading, they took pictures then handed me a receipt and a link to fill our for DMV transfer of ownership. Money was in the bank like in a few hours.

Honestly it's a great racket for sellers.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

On the subject of tradeins, I've got a 2017 RAV4 and apparently everybody really wants me to trade it in. This is a vehicle I inherited, and it's fully paid off and in great shape with about ~70k miles on it.

Thing is, I really don't need an SUV at all. It's extremely rare that I have more than one other passenger in the vehicle, and I don't haul enough stuff around to need the cargo capacity. I just drive it because my previous vehicle was a lovely beater and I wasn't about to turn it down. I'd be perfectly happy driving something smaller with better gas mileage. I don't really care how fun something is to drive, as long as it's reliable and gets good gas mileage.

I've been tempted to trade it in and go for a used Prius or something similar. Is this a crazy idea? I've inherited all my previous vehicles as hand-me-downs from other family members, so I've never actually dealt with buying a car from a dealer. The dealer my dad bought it from has offered more than the sticker price of some of their used vehicles of similar mileage, so is it possible to trade it in to them and drive out of there with a car and a check? I'm totally clueless here.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Khizan posted:

On the subject of tradeins, I've got a 2017 RAV4 and apparently everybody really wants me to trade it in. This is a vehicle I inherited, and it's fully paid off and in great shape with about ~70k miles on it.

Thing is, I really don't need an SUV at all. It's extremely rare that I have more than one other passenger in the vehicle, and I don't haul enough stuff around to need the cargo capacity. I just drive it because my previous vehicle was a lovely beater and I wasn't about to turn it down. I'd be perfectly happy driving something smaller with better gas mileage. I don't really care how fun something is to drive, as long as it's reliable and gets good gas mileage.

I've been tempted to trade it in and go for a used Prius or something similar. Is this a crazy idea? I've inherited all my previous vehicles as hand-me-downs from other family members, so I've never actually dealt with buying a car from a dealer. The dealer my dad bought it from has offered more than the sticker price of some of their used vehicles of similar mileage, so is it possible to trade it in to them and drive out of there with a car and a check? I'm totally clueless here.

Don’t trade it. You know it’s been taken care of, and that peace of mind is worth more than the grand or two you might get for flipping it. Enjoy the Toyota reliability and never having to worry about your appliance breaking

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

It's less about the extra money and more about having something smaller with better gas mileage, I wouldn't expect to actually make any significant money on it.

Keeping it is ultimately what I was leaning towards, but it seems like everybody I know IRL is going "you'd be crazy not to trade it in right now!" and I was wondering if I was missing something.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
How much do you drive? How much money would you save on gas by buying a used Prius?

I agree with got off on a technicality--owning a car with a known service history is a very good thing. Your current car will serve you very well for a long time.

Who wants you to trade in the car?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Khizan posted:

It's less about the extra money and more about having something smaller with better gas mileage, I wouldn't expect to actually make any significant money on it.

Keeping it is ultimately what I was leaning towards, but it seems like everybody I know IRL is going "you'd be crazy not to trade it in right now!" and I was wondering if I was missing something.

Without knowing anything about your driving habits and how much you drive, I'm going to say with 95% confidence that you should probably hang on to the 2017 RAV4 that you know/have paid off, instead of selling it and overpaying for a used car/Prius of unknown provenance. I bet you wouldn't really save that much on gas.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

silence_kit posted:

How much do you drive? How much money would you save on gas by buying a used Prius?

I agree with got off on a technicality--owning a car with a known service history is a very good thing. Your current car will serve you very well for a long time.

Who wants you to trade in the car?

I drive a decent amount. I live out in the sticks, so it’s 20+ miles to anything bigger than a gas station.

And it’s not really ‘wants me to trade it’ so much as various family members and such doing the ‘I can’t believe you’re leaving money on the table’ kind of stuff. I was leaning towards keeping it because after years of driving lovely beaters I didn’t feel a need to trade in something reliable and in good condition, but I also wondered if that experience was leading me wrong.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is not — keep the car it’s the right instinct.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Good to know, going to keep it. Thanks for the advice.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Khizan posted:

And it’s not really ‘wants me to trade it’ so much as various family members and such doing the ‘I can’t believe you’re leaving money on the table’ kind of stuff. I was leaning towards keeping it because after years of driving lovely beaters I didn’t feel a need to trade in something reliable and in good condition, but I also wondered if that experience was leading me wrong.

Old people really like buying cars often. Part of the reason why they like to do this is because when they were younger, cars used to be way more unreliable, and their car buying habits are still consciously or unconsciously informed by the belief that cars explode once they reach 100k miles. The Toyota you have should last for much longer than that.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 26, 2021

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Khizan posted:

The thing is, yeah you'd get a good deal on the trade but at the same time the market is so inflated you're gonna be paying more for a Prius or whatever anyway, so it's not like you're gonna get some great deal on another car, you'll be paying a premium like everyone else is right now. And you're not be able to get a car plus cash unless you get something that's worth a good deal less than your Rav4 so then you're back to a less nicer car.

Also you do NOT want to get into trading and buying from a dealership if you don't have to it's a draining miserable experience, if I had a perfectly good Rav4 I would keep it just to avoid the dealership bullshit alone, it's not worth the hassle to get another car just to save a bit of money on gas.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Khizan posted:

I drive a decent amount. I live out in the sticks, so it’s 20+ miles to anything bigger than a gas station.

but like how many miles per year is that

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Khizan posted:

‘I can’t believe you’re leaving money on the table’ kind of stuff.

Ask them exactly how that works when you have to buy another car in the very same inflated market that is causing your perfectly good car to be worth more.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I don't get people rushing out to sell their car/truck unless they have an extra vehicle or don't need one, people are acting like it's free money or something if they trade in or sell to get something else.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Now is the perfect time to get out of a popular good car and into an unpopular bad car.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I hate on pointless SUVs as much as the next guy, but a Rav4 is a mid size appliance car with a lift and plastic cladding. It's not going to get substantially worse gas mileage than the Camry it's based on.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yeah I don't get people rushing out to sell their car/truck unless they have an extra vehicle or don't need one, people are acting like it's free money or something if they trade in or sell to get something else.

A whole lot of weird money decisions make more sense when you realize the people involved are prioritizing immediate cash flow over anything long-term. They’re getting an immediate cash injection and a new car, at the cost of a car payment, and don’t care that the car payment is an ongoing thing.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

zedprime posted:

Now is the perfect time to get out of a popular good car and into an unpopular bad car.

I’m not gonna lie, I’m noticing a lot of Buick Regal wagons on carvana and they are calling my name

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Well Carmax offered less than Carvana but a few dealerships said they’ll match Carvana for my business (read: keep the price of their car inflated so they still make a profit).

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

That’s going to be one of the worst parts about ordering a vehicle. When The truck is ready and I come back with my trade in and they know they already have my business with or without it. Another dealer offered me within 5% of carvana, but that was before I put a deposit down. So when I go back in there to pick up my truck I’m expecting to be lowballed on the trade that day. I probably should have negotiated my trade value before I put a deposit down.

Oh well, all I’m really losing is the time it will take to drive to the carvana meet location since I’m in the sticks.

I’ll try carmax first though because they are way high. Four hour round trip though.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 22:15 on May 26, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
You can ask the dealer to value your trade in advance. They'll probably give you a conditional offer, and you can compare that to your Carvana offer, and use the Carvana offer as leverage.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Proposed Budget: The big boy job I got last year is starting to give me the (over)confidence I need to look at sporty and/or legitimately hot cars and destroying their warranties with a tune as soon as I'm tempted. 80k salary with no rent to pay for the next 2 years but Timetable for when I can actually afford the car is fluctuating because I am also spending used car prices on my gun hobby insanity and gacha games that I never should have let myself into

New or Used: Absolutely new. I will not settle for less than a '22 BRZ, or a FoRS, or whatever the heck Toyota is going to try and spit out as a GR Corolla next year. Miata RF with the top never down is also a consideration. gently caress the sun

Alternative northern Continental US weather/SHTF hellscape option: Outback Wilderness trim or other safari'd dumb thing that isn't a Porsche. (I'm not very good at planning trips to be during good weather) I don't have feelings one way or another about electrics. gently caress Elon and the earth TBH

How will you be using the car?: I want an autocrossing/tracking (maybe dirt tracking if the safari option) daily driver do-it-all as my only car and and definitely not what I have right now.

What aspects are most important to you? For insurance purposes, I'm a 33 and a guy and my skill at driving is probably middling at best. I can't drive stick because I never hung out with the cool kids. I've changed spare tires before, but I've never bothered to spend the effort to change my own oil on my non-hot '14 Fiesta, so I'd rather not have to have myself wrench on this new car. I'm most likely going to need one of those newfangled auto-stopping sensor system thingies to compensate for my inattentive jackassery. But enough self-deprecation, I want a light AF car that I can toss hard

So as you can tell, this isn't really a practical decision for me even though I might want to be more serious about it. But hey, ask me about how I chose the Chrysler TC by Maserati as my first car, that I had to get towed and repaired just to get off the lot. I need to live out the boy racer fantasy that I was previously too young/depressed/poor/busy to have, please indulge my perpetual mid-life crisis with a decision on one of the cars above or any similarly-classed cars

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 00:24 on May 27, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

So do you have a question or did you just come in here to swing your dick around?

No such thing as a new FoRS, BTW. If you want one, it's gonna be used. Bright side is you might find one that already has truck nuts if you look around.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Budget said 80k so just get a corvette.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Budget said 80k so just get a corvette.

Technically, he said for 2 years so that's $160k. Get a Corvette with a cage and a diesel F250 to tow it to the track. Make sure you save enough for a matching Punisher vinyl wrap on the both of them.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

What the gently caress does safari mean in this context

Also it seems like you should figure out what kind of car you actually want? The three cars that you mentioned (Focus RS, BRZ and Outback) have very little in common besides each having four wheels and an A pillar

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 27, 2021

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Nomyth posted:

I want a light AF car that I can toss hard

Get a Miata, learn to drive stick, attend autocross for a year, learn how bad of a driver you really are.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a Ford Raptor.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Nomyth posted:

Proposed Budget: The big boy job I got last year is starting to give me the (over)confidence I need to look at sporty and/or legitimately hot cars and destroying their warranties with a tune as soon as I'm tempted. 80k salary with no rent to pay for the next 2 years but Timetable for when I can actually afford the car is fluctuating because I am also spending used car prices on my gun hobby insanity and gacha games that I never should have let myself into

New or Used: Absolutely new. I will not settle for less than a '22 BRZ, or a FoRS, or whatever the heck Toyota is going to try and spit out as a GR Corolla next year. Miata RF with the top never down is also a consideration. gently caress the sun

Alternative northern Continental US weather/SHTF hellscape option: Outback Wilderness trim or other safari'd dumb thing that isn't a Porsche. (I'm not very good at planning trips to be during good weather) I don't have feelings one way or another about electrics. gently caress Elon and the earth TBH

How will you be using the car?: I want an autocrossing/tracking (maybe dirt tracking if the safari option) daily driver do-it-all as my only car and and definitely not what I have right now.

What aspects are most important to you? For insurance purposes, I'm a 33 and a guy and my skill at driving is probably middling at best. I can't drive stick because I never hung out with the cool kids. I've changed spare tires before, but I've never bothered to spend the effort to change my own oil on my non-hot '14 Fiesta, so I'd rather not have to have myself wrench on this new car. I'm most likely going to need one of those newfangled auto-stopping sensor system thingies to compensate for my inattentive jackassery. But enough self-deprecation, I want a light AF car that I can toss hard

So as you can tell, this isn't really a practical decision for me even though I might want to be more serious about it. But hey, ask me about how I chose the Chrysler TC by Maserati as my first car, that I had to get towed and repaired just to get off the lot. I need to live out the boy racer fantasy that I was previously too young/depressed/poor/busy to have, please indulge my perpetual mid-life crisis with a decision on one of the cars above or any similarly-classed cars
u seem cool

heffray
Sep 18, 2010

GOD IS BED posted:

Get a Miata, learn to drive stick, attend autocross for a year, learn how bad of a driver you really are.
Can't drive an RF on track with any decent org, there's no space for a roll bar.

Get a new BRZ/FRS with a stick, and learn to drive it on the way home. You're looking for fun/engaging, which manuals are much better at even if they're slower and less efficient now. A GTI (you can get the DSG if you want) would also work well while sacrificing less general utility.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear
Serious answer: stretch and buy a nice used C5 Z06 in the mid-30s and by all that is sacred please do not wrap it around a tree

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

got off on a technicality posted:

Serious answer: stretch and buy a nice used C5 Z06 in the mid-30s and by all that is sacred please do not wrap it around a tree

It seems crazy what car prices are like these days. Bought my 2002 Z06 in 2011 for $20,000 and it was very clean and reliable. I bought a 2006 GTO in 2009 for $18,000 with 20k miles and looking back I should have kept the GTO the entire time and sold it today for $20,000.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nomyth posted:

Prius

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The thread has spoken. Enjoy your new Prius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

used prius