Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

President Beep posted:

i do sharpen my mower blade with a dremel tho
i see. and your kaiser blade (which some folks call a sling blade)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Sounds complicated, I just want sharp knives.

just get that thing i posted before, it owns

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i have a santoku where the point is a little hosed up, like it's folded over a little and will grab dish towels when you dry it. is there any way to fix that?

sharpeningchat reminded me to get out my sharpmaker and fix up my stuff. it was nice.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
prolly wanna hit up the knife thread in gws for that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3846213

mystes
May 31, 2006

Achmed Jones posted:

i have a santoku where the point is a little hosed up, like it's folded over a little and will grab dish towels when you dry it. is there any way to fix that?

sharpeningchat reminded me to get out my sharpmaker and fix up my stuff. it was nice.
What do you mean folded over? If it's just a burr you create a burr and remove it every time you sharpen with a whetstone anyway so that shouldn't matter.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Achmed Jones posted:

yep. file for shaping, arkansas stone for finishing

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Jonny 290 posted:

arkansas stone

you get those in little rock?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

President Beep posted:

it's a real rotten town

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
haha, no, actually. Novaculite is mined in the Ouachita* Mountains up where I used to live. it's one of the best things besides diamond (which arkansas also has shitloads of!) for sharpening steel

* bonus point if you can pronounce this properly without looking it up

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
wacheeta

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

o’cheeta

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Jonny 290 posted:

haha, no, actually. Novaculite is mined in the Ouachita* Mountains up where I used to live. it's one of the best things besides diamond (which arkansas also has shitloads of!) for sharpening steel

* bonus point if you can pronounce this properly without looking it up

if it was named by the French I bet it's Wichita

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
WATCH-uh-Tah

not bad, not bad

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
in that locality however it's two syllables

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh, gently caress. good point. also, what’s the deal with arkansas just being “kansas” with “ar” on the front

some kind of assault rifle kansas?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

President Beep posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

graph sees it. graph sees the quality.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

my grandma had an old axe that i use for camping. i put it on a grinder or something and lo and behold, incompetent as i am, it chops wood like a magic axe now. last time i used it we were in the lot next to where the ranger was set up, and i could hear his kids saying "look he has a double axe" like i was the barbarian in diablo 2 or something

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

yep. file for shaping, arkansas stone for finishing

thanks! maybe a dumb question, but what kind of file do i buy for this? i have some hobby files i use for craft stuff but i dont really trust them with a $100+ knife

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

pics:

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also posted to the gbs thread, thanks for the link stringent!

it's not a normal burr, mystes- it's cause a drunk person used it quite violently on some frozen turkey burgers several years ago. i still give them poo poo for it occasionally, as is right and proper (but not too often)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

nothing says “my body is failing me” like waking up in the middle of the night needing to poop

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Nah, it's failing when you wake up and already poo poo the bed.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

eat more fiber [this is general old person advice to everybody]

e: don't eat too much fiber all at once or I guess shoeberto's scenario is feasible

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

yep. go to costco, buy the big bottle of fiber gummies, take two a day, and poop like a champion

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I started cooking with freekeh [roasted cracked wheat] because it has a similar macro profile to quinoa but doesn't have to get shipped from the andes and that stuff will take care of you

don't believe the package though, it needs more than 25 minutes I usually cook it for around an hour

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
just eat an entire head of celery every day

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Eh, if it gets too bad I just call roto-rooter

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've never been happy while eating celery in my whole life, not even ants on a log

you should ideally be getting a mix of soluble and insoluble fiber not just inhaling a pound of psyllium daily

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

FMguru posted:

i see. and your kaiser blade (which some folks call a sling blade)?

mmmm hmm

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

celery is good

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

e: don't eat too much fiber all at once or I guess shoeberto's scenario is feasible

lmao when i cut out carbs i experimented with oat fibre for a while and made some muffins. they were low calorie (not intentionally just worked out that way) so i unthinkingly ate like 7 of them.

so much regret.

qirex posted:

I started cooking with freekeh [roasted cracked wheat] because it has a similar macro profile to quinoa but doesn't have to get shipped from the andes and that stuff will take care of you

don't believe the package though, it needs more than 25 minutes I usually cook it for around an hour

pressure cook that bitch

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Captain Foo posted:

celery is good

🤤

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

i don't really understand the fibre stuff. no matter how little or how much I eat it's all the same result. maybe I'm not old enough yet

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah idk i just like celery

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

mediaphage posted:

pressure cook that bitch

pressure cooker is so good. life changing for the procrastinating cook (me)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rotor posted:

yeah idk i just like celery

the salad ruiner ™

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

my stepdads beer posted:

the salad ruiner ™

yeah i woudn't put it in a salad

Stringent