Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

K8.0 posted:

and the LG monitors actually claim a wider color space than it and a higher max brightness.

Goddammit if there is one thing I need at two am on my screens it’s higher loving max brightness! 🤬

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

DerekSmartymans posted:

Goddammit if there is one thing I need at two am on my screens it’s higher loving max brightness! 🤬

Yeah all my screens are at like 18 brightness. I don't know what it means in candelas but it's way lower than factory default.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

TheDK posted:

Yeah all my screens are at like 18 brightness. I don't know what it means in candelas but it's way lower than factory default.

F.lux saved my life, and Win10 has a nite-light all its own, too.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/au-optronics-showcase-new-panel-technologies-including-4k-144hz-oled-and-8k4k-panels/

quote:

AUO’s 32-inch UHD 4K inkjet printing OLED panel is driven by oxide backplane and offers industry-leading ultra-high frame rate of 144Hz with 4K 140 PPI resolution.

Well, there it is. Who knows when it might be coming to market though, and at what price point.

BONESTORM
Jan 27, 2009

Buy me Bonestorm or go to Hell!

TheFluff posted:

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/au-optronics-showcase-new-panel-technologies-including-4k-144hz-oled-and-8k4k-panels/

Well, there it is. Who knows when it might be coming to market though, and at what price point.

Nice. Looking forward to getting one of these a couple years down the road. I like my 34 inch ultrawide, but LCD is so deeply flawed. Looking forward to having a display where black is actually black again.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

TheFluff posted:

If comes to market at all? AUO would do well to provide details on panel longevity

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Nomyth posted:

If it helps you make a decision, I lurked the GP950 sale webpage until I managed to snag one myself. It's arriving this week and I can give you a very unscientific anecdote about how much I like it
It's for sale already/finally?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Combat Pretzel posted:

It's for sale already/finally?

I can't speak for other regions but it's been going in and out of stock for a while now here at LG US: https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gn950-b-gaming-monitor I got mine by using the notification email.

So far, the monitor's quite nice. I upgraded from a 1st-generation 1440p144Hz Acer that had to get sent to Acer to get flashed/G-sync module updated to go from 120Hz->144Hz. The build quality and lack of bezels are an improvement - my desk speakers have a little more room to breathe.

The drivers and software were annoyingly hard to find though. https://www.lg.com/us/support/software-firmware-drivers?csSalesCode=27GP950-B.AUS You need LG UltraGear Control Center 1.7 to turn off the rear RGB LEDs (whoops i can just hold down the lighting button to turn it off), and you need the included USB-A to USB-B cable to flash firmware in the future.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 19, 2021

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

K8.0 posted:

Resolution matters, so you need to tell us both resolutions we're talking about here. And also, why the desire for 32" vs another 27"? 27 is the current de facto size standard the way 24" was for many years, you can get other sizes but they cost more so you want to make sure you actually want to go that way.

Oh, sorry - currently running my single monitor at 2560x1440 @60Hz. I'm interested in moving up in size because basically my eyes are getting older and I don't want to lose screen real estate by just increasing the font size. And I sit a fairly good distance away from the monitor itself - probably twice the distance of a normal desk most of the time. Plus I kind of got spoiled using a 60" LCD as a PC monitor for a couple of weeks and 27" is just TINY in comparison (I was at a normal viewing distance for that TV size, I wasn't sitting right on top of it as if I were at a desk). Budget wise I'm flexible - $300-350 is fine, a little more if I need to.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I have a glass top on my desk (about a quarter of an inch thick), would that make a monitor mount with a clamp a bad idea? This would be for a single 27" monitor. I'd like to be able to rotate the M27Q.

If anyone has specific model recommendations, please share them. I've never used a custom stand.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:52 on May 21, 2021

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

DerekSmartymans posted:

yeah same, but unironically

every screen i get, first thing i do is max the brightness lol

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Rinkles posted:

I have a glass top on my desk (about a quarter of an inch thick), would that make a monitor mount with a clamp a bad idea? This would be for a single 27" monitor. I'd like to be able to rotate the M27Q.

If anyone has specific model recommendations, please share them. I've never used a custom stand.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, but maybe if glass is a worry, you can try adding a little board to the underside of the desk and clamp to that? So that the top part clamps to the glass, and the bottom part clamps to the board, which should spread out the weight such that the glass shouldn't be a worry anymore.

I've done this with cheap MDF desks anyway.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

a mysterious cloak posted:

Oh, sorry - currently running my single monitor at 2560x1440 @60Hz. I'm interested in moving up in size because basically my eyes are getting older and I don't want to lose screen real estate by just increasing the font size. And I sit a fairly good distance away from the monitor itself - probably twice the distance of a normal desk most of the time. Plus I kind of got spoiled using a 60" LCD as a PC monitor for a couple of weeks and 27" is just TINY in comparison (I was at a normal viewing distance for that TV size, I wasn't sitting right on top of it as if I were at a desk). Budget wise I'm flexible - $300-350 is fine, a little more if I need to.

Sorry for not getting back to you. There are options at both 60 and 144hz for 32" 1440p IPS displays. None of them are really well-known quantities. It's hard to recommend anything specific. I'm not a fan of the value proposition of any of them, but it is what it is.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So my monitor finally died on me (Well dying. It takes 10-15 minutes to wake-up). So I need a new monitor. I'm not looking for much. I'm only aiming for 1920 x 1080. Any good recommendations? My budget is about $300.

:edit: Though I guess I could spring for a 1440 if it would really make that much of a difference.

Travic fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 21, 2021

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

What are you doing with it, what GPU, etc.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

K8.0 posted:

What are you doing with it, what GPU, etc.

Mainly gaming. GPU is a Geforce 1660 Super. CPU is Ryzen 5 3600. I don't play bleeding edge graphics games, but I try to keep the resolution low for performance reasons.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009

Travic posted:

Mainly gaming. GPU is a Geforce 1660 Super. CPU is Ryzen 5 3600. I don't play bleeding edge graphics games, but I try to keep the resolution low for performance reasons.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27gn650-b

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Cool, thanks.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Travic posted:

Then you're looking at basically three groups of options :

1. Any old 1080p 60hz IPS monitor with decent reviews on Amazon. $100ish, good value, but garbage gaming performance.
2. A 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitor. These run $160-200, and they're good-ish value. The Asus VP249QGR looks like the best deal of them right now. High refresh and Freesync are both a big deal for gaming. I'm not a fan of buying anything above bargain basement at 1080p these days though, because it's definitely a dying resolution.
3. Current mainstream gaming monitors, which are 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync. These start around $300 and the most recommended one is $380, though if you're patient and keep checking it can be had for <$300 on Amazon warehouse when someone returns one in good condition. These are the best value for gaming and IMO what you should be targeting if you can justify the cash. A 1660 Super will drive most non-demanding games at high framerates at 1440p. What games exactly are you playing? In all likelihood as long as you don't crank settings with negligible IQ impact to max you should be fine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just want to mention that some people consider the pixel density to be too low on a 27" 1080p screen. 24" is the typical recommendation, but it really depends on the person.

e:this was in response to the prior link

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

K8.0 posted:

Then you're looking at basically three groups of options :

1. Any old 1080p 60hz IPS monitor with decent reviews on Amazon. $100ish, good value, but garbage gaming performance.
2. A 1080p 144hz IPS Freesync monitor. These run $160-200, and they're good-ish value. The Asus VP249QGR looks like the best deal of them right now. High refresh and Freesync are both a big deal for gaming. I'm not a fan of buying anything above bargain basement at 1080p these days though, because it's definitely a dying resolution.
3. Current mainstream gaming monitors, which are 1440p 144hz IPS Freesync. These start around $300 and the most recommended one is $380, though if you're patient and keep checking it can be had for <$300 on Amazon warehouse when someone returns one in good condition. These are the best value for gaming and IMO what you should be targeting if you can justify the cash. A 1660 Super will drive most non-demanding games at high framerates at 1440p. What games exactly are you playing? In all likelihood as long as you don't crank settings with negligible IQ impact to max you should be fine.

Recently: X4 Foundations, World of Warcraft, Starsector, and Control.

This is my remaining monitor: https://www.newegg.com/samsung-s24d300h-24-full-hd/p/N82E16824022019

This is what I'm replacing: https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch-T220-22-inch-Monitor/dp/B001769KP2

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Rinkles posted:

Just want to mention that some people consider the pixel density to be too low on a 27" 1080p screen. 24" is the typical recommendation, but it really depends on the person.

e:this was in response to the prior link

Hell I think even 1440p's pixel density is pretty bad at 27, but 4k is too demanding for me to go that far

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Hell I think even 1440p's pixel density is pretty bad at 27, but 4k is too demanding for me to go that far

There is some variance panel to panel, and huge variance depending on viewing distance. I have to get way closer than normal viewing distance to my 27" 1440p screen to see pixels, same on my better 24" 1080p monitors. Even my oldest TN 24" 1080p isn't too bad in that regard.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

K8.0 posted:

Sorry for not getting back to you. There are options at both 60 and 144hz for 32" 1440p IPS displays. None of them are really well-known quantities. It's hard to recommend anything specific. I'm not a fan of the value proposition of any of them, but it is what it is.

No problem, I figured I'd ask here since you guys know way more about it than I do. I'll keep reading and figure it out. Thanks!

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hey all. I've been looking to upgrade my monitor and this popped up for $250 at BB:

quote:

Dell U2719DX
27" IPS LED UltraSharp QHD Monitor (HDMI 1.4, DisplayPort 1.4, USB 3.0)
Refresh Rate 60Hz
Maximum Resolution 2560 x 1440
Native Resolution 2560 x 1440
Response Time 5 milliseconds
Panel Type IPS

It seems like a decent deal but it's been ages since I bought a monitor -- is it worth it? I don't play games, so this is mostly for real estate as I browse/write/watch videos and occasionally plug my work laptop in for s p r e a d s h e e t s.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Depends on how much you value Ultrasharp aesthetics/build quality/support. Dell's premium monitors are very nice, but they aren't cheap. I'd probably rather spend an extra $100 for a decent 4k monitor, but if you really want an Ultrasharp and/or don't want to spend more, it's not a bad deal.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dell UltraSharp monitors are IMO close to being the gold standard for office/productivity monitors and they tend to last forever. They're also fine for gaming if you don't care about 144 Hz refresh rate and variable sync (freesync/gsync).

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
I have a love-hate thing with the dell monitors. They have the best QC on the market bar none, but they have the Deep Sleep bug that causes your desktop to get rearranged (and still have not fixed this or surfaced a "deep sleep/EUP compliance" option to disable the behavior even on the latest monitors). Some of their monitors are not the greatest in specs and they've had bugs at times (like the column bug on the S2716DG - although I personally never experienced it on mine). But again, the QC is just head and shoulders above anyone else in the market.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

FWIW MS claims to be changing the way windows handles that in the October update. We'll see if they really do fix it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Wasn't the Deep Sleep thing actually a correct implementation of the specification or something? I feel like I read about that recently - maybe even in this very thread - and that's how I understood it at the time.

Not to say that it isn't a silly implementation anyway, obviously the old behavior wasn't rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

All I know is that my LG monitor has a literal Deep Sleep option in the OSD that I turned off immediately during setup because I remembered it from this thread

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

Wasn't the Deep Sleep thing actually a correct implementation of the specification or something? I feel like I read about that recently - maybe even in this very thread - and that's how I understood it at the time.

Not to say that it isn't a silly implementation anyway, obviously the old behavior wasn't rubbing anyone the wrong way.

Deep Sleep is doing what it's supposed to do - the problem lies in Windows freaking out when it sees a monitor going dark

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Thanks for the feedback about the Dell and for putting a name to the issue that's been bugging me with my existing setup for years now :negative:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Saukkis posted:

Have you considered upgrading your mounting setup? I got monitor stand with support for quad 27" for 50€.
I run a two-over-one setup and mounting options for that are limited. Basically just the one unit sold under VIVO, WALI, and a few other brands.

Even as is the big one is mounted low enough that if I sit up straight my eyes are almost level with the top of the screen and with the upper bar mounted at the absolute top the upper monitors barely clear. Thus the offset VESA mount part, I have plenty of width to work with in the arms I just need the upper monitors higher than the mount I have allows for. I haven't been able to find any compatible desk mount bars that are taller either.

Plan B at the moment is to give up on the 2+1 and just get a vertical dual monitor stand to put another ultrawide or maybe a doublewide on top replacing both of the old 16:10s, that would also free up a port on my graphics card so I didn't have to disconnect VR when I wanted to hook up my TV.

I guess I could also get some 80/20 and build exactly what my heart desires but that's not cheap.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Protocol7 posted:

Monitors are implementing the spec correctly, but the spec is garbage and shouldn't exist and monitors should just pretend they don't have the feature.

It's quite likely that Microsoft's fix is really just some hacky poo poo where they delay making a decision, which just transfers some of the suck from the sleeping monitor situation to actual unplug situations like laptop docks.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

48" is totally small enough for a monitor right? Right? I'm probably going to do it. I've said so in the past but this time surely I mean it.

48" is too big for me. But I heard they will release a 42" this year.

MonkeyFit
May 13, 2009
I just got a 55" and it's awesome. Just make sure you're sitting far enough away that you don't have to move your head too much to actually see the edges of the screen. I'm sitting about 5 ft away from mine.

Joiny
Aug 9, 2005

Would you like to peruse my wares?
I went from my 39" old 1080p tv to the Acer Nitro XV340CK because of rtings review. It's quite nice, though I do see the small darkness issues at the edge during office style work, though it's not noticeable if you sit further back from the screen. Overall the monitor is great in games and will be good enough for work. I haven't had any issues with the resolution but I've been playing shadow of mordor and rocket league.

Should I expect to see a bunch of issues because of the resolution in more niche games or any other general issues/frustrations with ultrawide monitors that I may not know about? I like the monitor but I'd rather not get surprised with something past the 30 day return window.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Yes, many games have issues with ultrawide. Some of them you can use hacky fixes that work anywhere from perfectly to extremely poorly. Others won't work at all and you'll have to pillarbox 16:9. It really comes down to what games you play and how much jank you're willing to tolerate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It also comes down to how modern your games are. If you're just playing the new releases/anything released in the last half-decade then you're probably fine (though most games still pillarbox in cutscenes), but if you're mainly going through a 360-era or prior backlog then, yeah, it's going to be rough.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 27, 2021