Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thanks for the thorough roasting. My apologies if I sound very obtuse regarding my life situation, I probably don't have a very healthy perspective of myself.

@ KillHour: I'm aware of the FoRS no longer being brought over here, it popped into my head as I was typing the GR Corolla bit since they're both likely going to be awd turbo hatches. Also it wouldn't be a Punisher wrap, it would be an ahegao wrap

@ Loan Dusty Road & got off on a technicality: Corvettes sound nice (I did specify new though), but I don't know if they're worth daily driving and also dealing with a crumbling infrastructure worsened by wildly varying weather. Pretend I've never really looked at one of them before--how high off the ground are they compared to Miatas? I know this might be a little hypocrite-ish when I also lust after the BRZ

@ Bouillon Rube: And speaking of that ground clearance, that's where the misused "safari" term comes into play. I drive on gravel once or twice a month which I guess isn't a big deal for any kind of car, but yeah I think some of the inspiration for me is coming from the Singer ACS Porsche 911. I have the Homer Simpson Designs a Car problem where I'd like a fun coupe and/or rally car thing, but I don't know how to avoid embarassingly scraping steep driveways, so now this twisted concept of ideal car in my head is a lifted coupe.

@ GOD IS BED & heffray: I'm also kind of afraid of driving stick as my only car. This is probably going to be a lame trauma story and Too Much Information, but the one time I'd ever tried driving stick was when I was a kid and snuck into a free Cobalt SS test driving event. I couldn't figure out how to get the right combination of engine + letting go of the clutch pedal softly(or was it quickly?) enough to not stall the car, so the instructor put the car in 1st and let me putter around the course in shame. ANYWAYS I appreciate the GTI suggestion with the DSG, it's closer to the type of car that I thought I was trying to convey with my description.

@ Nick Jr. Face: yes, this is why i am asking for help deciding on a type of car to buy on the coolest internet forum in the world...

@ Ornery and Hornery: I know, it's probably what I deserve :negative:

Again, my apologies--I didn't really know how to approach this problem with my limited life experience and knowledge of car, uh, culture. It's hard for me to sound fun without also sounding narcissistic and I appreciate serious attempts at narrowing things down for me without pigeon-holing me into stereotypes that I may or may not belong to.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I think it's more that you came across as having a lot of really strong opinions, inconsistent wants, some possibly incorrect assumptions, and "first big boy job at 80k with no rent for 2 years" raises some red flags from a BFC perspective.

I think it would be good to maybe take a step back, gather your thoughts about what you really want/need instead of just nice to haves, and be a little more flexible in your requirements. Might be easier for folks to make recommendations. Otherwise, you're coming off as knowing exactly what you want without knowing anything, thus the "do you have a question" comment.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Internet Explorer posted:

I think it's more that you came across as having a lot of really strong opinions, inconsistent wants, some possibly incorrect assumptions, and "first big boy job at 80k with no rent for 2 years" raises some red flags from a BFC perspective.
Forgive me for not knowing what BFC's perspective is, but what are the red flags, in detail?

And yeah, I can understand now why it's not a good idea to ask for suggestions by throwing malformed ideas out there and hoping something sticks. I was afraid that I'd be given suggestions that would be more compromise than I'd care for, which FWIW I should mention that I'm willing to discuss why or why not certain ideas that I've put in so far are worth pursuing.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm phone posting, so I don't know about in detail, but for example your post about budget never even mentioned a number. 2 years without a rent/mortgage payment begs the question "why?" And it sounds like you already have expensive hobbies. 80k at 33 is great, way above average, but it's not gently caress you money and you're probably better off putting money away. But again, you didn't even mention a number under the question of budget.

Then you're all over the place. Miata, FRS, Porsche 911. Then you're worried about clearance because you drive a gravel road twice a month. Then you're talking about autocross without a manual.

So yeah, again, my suggestion is take a step back, take the questions a bit more seriously, and think about what it is you're really looking for.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Nomyth posted:

@ Loan Dusty Road & got off on a technicality: Corvettes sound nice (I did specify new though), but I don't know if they're worth daily driving and also dealing with a crumbling infrastructure worsened by wildly varying weather.

@ Bouillon Rube: And speaking of that ground clearance, that's where the misused "safari" term comes into play.

@ GOD IS BED & heffray: I'm also kind of afraid of driving stick as my only car.

Again, my apologies--I didn't really know how to approach this problem with my limited life experience and knowledge of car, uh, culture. It's hard for me to sound fun without also sounding narcissistic and I appreciate serious attempts at narrowing things down for me without pigeon-holing me into stereotypes that I may or may not belong to.
You got to be clear about what you want, and it's the easiest thing in the world to lie to yourself*

Seriously, do you want to learn the craft of driving fast, do you enjoy driving 6/10ths but don't actually want to obsess about the best line through a corner, do you want to learn to wrench, do you just want to hang out with car bros, do you want to pose, do you want an easy practical daily driver, do you want a daily driver but with a frisson of 'ooh aren't I hardcore,' etc etc etc. These are overlapping but you're not going to be able to satisfy all of them with one car and a $30k budget. We're not going to be able to help unless we know which is truly the most important

*The whole manual transmission thing is one of the signs that you're not serious and hence not clear about what you want. You may think you're serious, but it's hard to take a budding "enthusiast" seriously who's unwilling to even consider learning. Also the C5 Z06 is stick only and it will be a big shame if you buy an automatic BRZ so please don't do that either

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

It's a really bad time to be shopping for a car you don't actually need right now because *gestures wildly at everything* but if you're dying to blow all your cash on a fedoratrilby with wheels, the following will help:

- Subjectively, what is the fastest-feeling car you have ever driven?
- Subjectively, what is the best car you have ever driven?
- What is your actual budget?
- Have you ever driven on a track?
- Are you going to drive this car on the track? No, seriously. Are you going to deal with the bullshit of changing out your brake pads (twice), changing your oil, cleaning all your garbage out, sitting through safety lectures, spending $300-1000 of your hard earned cash and risking the complete destruction of your new car to spend maybe 40 minutes on a track that is probably a full day's drive away? Are you going to do this exactly once and never do it again?
- Are you willing to learn to drive stick?
- How much bullshit are you willing to put up with for the sake of having a "cool car"?
- Can you stomach your car being worth ~25% what you paid for it when you go to sell it?
- If this car suddenly stopped existing (because you wrapped it around a tree), would it be an issue?

If the answer to any of these questions is "oh gently caress," congratulations on your used automatic Miata. You can pick up your complementary "no, I'm not a hairdresser" bumper sticker at the cashier.

Nomyth posted:

ideal car in my head is a lifted coupe.

:getout:

Edit for some tips because I'm feeling particularly helpful:

- Driving a car in any motorsport means needing to know how to do basic poo poo like change your brakes, adjust tire pressures, change oil and a bunch of other poo poo. There is no exception to this.
- A "Rally car" is not a street car with a lift kit. They cost more than your entire salary to build and maintain, require extensive knowledge to run safely and constantly break even though they're made of the most solid poo poo imaginable. Turns out rocks are bad for cars. You will not be rallying anything any time soon.
- Conversely, you don't need a "Rally car" to drive on a gravel road. Just drive slow so you don't chip the paint, dingus.
- We can't tell you what kind of car you want. You have to test drive them and you'll know when you drive it.
- Most performance cars that aren't 50k+ are going to be manual.
- There's exactly zero reason to buy a car new if you're just going to beat on it. Cars don't spontaneously explode after 50k miles, even ones that are driven hard (if you maintain them)
- All cars need maintenance. All cars need maintenance. This is not negotiable; it is a fact of life.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 27, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Get a used miata with a manual for like $5-15k range. If you can’t enjoy that and have to spend $80 k on automatic corvette that you will be dailying (lmao) you really have no future in
so called “car culture”

Also another red flag is you said you have no budget because you keep spending used car prices on guns. Seriously what the hell, just take a step back and wait a year or two. You sound like you’ve never had a dime in your life

And I suggest the cheaper Miata because if you’re really learning how to drive a clutch it will be a whole lot more forgiving while you learn and less god drat stupid and embarrassing (from the cars perspective)

Edit2: 100% get a used Prius instead

ethanol fucked around with this message at 12:59 on May 27, 2021

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a C7 Z06

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Raise a used Prius, add mud flaps and a racing vinyl.

Seconding getting a used Miata, they really are the Prius of the daily driver sports car. It will be cheap enough you can skip a gun month and get it entirely secondary to what you are driving now: real car culture is having a driveway of hulk's you are always working so you can try your hand at maintenance.

After you have a baseline of stick experience, take a vacation to a race school experience. You'll get the track day spiel without ever having to kit out a car for track days. This is important because a lot of people really do go once and trade their Corvette back in for a Miata.

If you are still into track cars after fixing up a Miata and going to a week long race school congratulations on your new Corvette, you can park it next to the Miata.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 27, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Slur, your fighting style is extremely problematic!

Guns are also horrendously overpriced at the moment, fyi

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Nitrox posted:

At least gas hasn't followed ammo's cost.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrox posted:

I'm not sure I trust OP with either.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

You sound like you’ve never had a dime in your life

This is exactly the BFC red flag that slapped me in the face while reading the post.

Seriously, go buy a used miata or something and learn how to drive stick for starters. If you can't get over that your "requirements" basically comes down to a "fast" CUV like a CX-5 turbo, but even that's a wild guess based on that rambling, incoherent list.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nomyth posted:

Forgive me for not knowing what BFC's perspective is, but what are the red flags, in detail?

And yeah, I can understand now why it's not a good idea to ask for suggestions by throwing malformed ideas out there and hoping something sticks. I was afraid that I'd be given suggestions that would be more compromise than I'd care for, which FWIW I should mention that I'm willing to discuss why or why not certain ideas that I've put in so far are worth pursuing.
Changing gears to BFC, when anyone's response to the question "what is your budget to such a purchase" and the response is "uhhh I make a lot of money and spend it on poo poo already", we know you do not have a budget and instead have an intent to set your wealth on fire. Setting your wealth on fire is fun but there's a lot of higher priority things to focus on when you're making a lot of money, because you might not always be making a lot of money, if for no other reason like changing life goals to include children or elder care.

If someone asks you your budget for a car you should have a number. It should be based on what you have fluid in your bank account as cash, what you have as secured assets like a house or 401k, and what you have in durable goods that you might part with in exchange like car trade ins or if you're willing to swap out your guns. That budget should take into account what is your current expenses and what are your future expenses. It sucks to think about but when you deal with a lot of toys, you always need to be thinking "how do I liquidate all this crap for an emergency" because it is a bigger deal to do to toys than secured assets.

Tldr: 'i make a lot of money to spend on toys' is a red flag that betrays you might not put the amount of effort into budgeting and wealth management that backs up those toys. There are tons of people in trades and engineering who have never been taught budgeting and have 90k+ salaries and spend it all on corvettes and boats and end up eating Vienna sausages out of a shoe when the boat sinks and they're sued for tboning their Corvette into a minivan of a family of 6.

Late edit: I speak a lot in analogy and metaphor anchored in my personal experiences so I just wanted to clarify when I say Corvettes and boats I mean figuratively. You can easily substitute "any car more expensive than a 2 year old Prius" for Corvette and "guns and anime vinyls" for boats. I'm not trying to put Corvette into your mouth as something born out of this threads optimism when you said you wanted a hot car

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 27, 2021

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
you seem to be really worried bout potholes and poo poo. my suggestion is don't give a gently caress i live in SEMI where our infrastructure is absolutely guaranteed worse than yours. i drive a low car. occasionally you hit a giant pothole and bend an 800 dollar wheel but most of the time you don't and it's totally fine. buy a miata and a winter beater and learn about your actual wants.

got off on a technicality posted:

You got to be clear about what you want, and it's the easiest thing in the world to lie to yourself*

it will be a big shame if you buy an automatic BRZ so please don't do that either

these two parts of this post are particularly good and accurate

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

don't listen to these debbie downers OP, vienna sausages are delicious.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

zedprime posted:

There are tons of people in trades and engineering who have never been taught budgeting and have 90k+ salaries and spend it all on corvettes and boats and end up eating Vienna sausages out of a shoe when the boat sinks and they're sued for tboning their Corvette into a minivan of a family of 6.

How DARE you, sir. The house of cars I have so cleverly built by spending twice my mortgage on toys will never fall! Never!

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Barbecue flavor vienna sausages FTW

I figured I'd just pay cash for a Z06 since that way I don't need full coverage insurance, I'm saving money!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

make sure that once you figure out the basics of stick that you begin working the fact that you drive a Standard™ into every conversation you ever have with anyone.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

What's wrong with the automatic BRZ? I guess I'm not as big a purist... I haven't driven a manual and don't have a big desire to given that I live in a very dense city, but I still want a fun car. Doesn't auto BRZ fit that definition?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Inner Light posted:

What's wrong with the automatic BRZ? I guess I'm not as big a purist... I haven't driven a manual and don't have a big desire to given that I live in a very dense city, but I still want a fun car. Doesn't auto BRZ fit that definition?

A BRZ isn't fast. Like at all. The fun part is that it makes you work for every ounce of speed. Getting the automatic kind of defeats that.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, how do you define "fun car" cause unless you just love the look and sitting low, it's gonna feel really slow compared to... almost anything really. The fun is getting it out on a curvy road / track / etc and really working it. With an automatic I think having more power is important to the fun equation.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I have to admit I had an automatic Mustang GT 5.0 once upon a time and despite the slushbox from an Explorer (got it the year before sequential automatic was even an option) going cachlunkchlink whenever you put the hammer down, going really fast in a straight line got a lot of stuff out of my system so I can rest easily in boring cars now.

I know I am perfectly boring now because before Hertz got reamed by the pandemic they had base model Challengers and mid model Chargers in the loyalty lots some times and driving them around I was like "ahh yes, slow cars that sound fast. This is perfect."

zedprime fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 27, 2021

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
lol if you can't drive stick

just lmao

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
The automatics in Mustangs are very well regarded, they're good looking (subjective), have nice interiors these days, and are sporty. But people can have very strong opinions about them because they have a lot of, for lack of a better term, baggage.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
an automatic 5.0 mustang is a much different proposition than an automatic toyobaru

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Should I go wrap an auto mustang around a tree instead so that you'll all feel less bad about how a low quality human destroyed a car you like less

really depressed now about myself, this is the other side of me speaking

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Yes, I'm confirming that everything you've surmised about me so far has been correct

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I'd post on the budgeting thread but remembering advice is hard when my dick or my need to overconform to a nonsensical perceived social norm are driving

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Nomyth posted:

I'd post on the budgeting thread but remembering advice is hard when my dick or my need to overconform to a nonsensical perceived social norm are driving

Or you could just talk like a normal human being, instead of alternating between tryhard bombast and overdone self-flagellation.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Nomyth posted:

Should I go wrap an auto mustang around a tree instead so that you'll all feel less bad about how a low quality human destroyed a car you like less

really depressed now about myself, this is the other side of me speaking
So was the post everyone is ragging on you for a product of a manic episode? It really does seem like it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I like Mustangs...

But seriously, it's OK, you don't have to try so hard, we're all friends here and all cars are bad.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I will say that in recent history I've learned from experience about the time and effort involvement for competition shooting - of maintaining my own guns & gear and making sure I follow all the safety precautions and regulations and laws regarding that hobby. So I'm probably a little less unbalanced than I was maybe 3 years ago??

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Most people have no loving idea what they want out of a car if it makes you feel any better.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Got a carmax close? Just go test drive a bunch of poo poo. They also do 24 hour test drives if you ask. They will even let a 17 year old take a C7 Corvette on a 24 hour test drive.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Mustang or a GTI with DSG are gonna be way more fun not-manual cars than an auto BRZ, but really it's not that hard to learn a manual and you'll get used to it in, like, a week or so of just normal driving. All that said, the BRZ/FRS are slow enough that they don't really feel that fun to me unless you're on a twisty road or a track. Having a bit of acceleration is more fun around town I think.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Get a Shelby GT500.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

You know how that Lexus hatch I got I was stoked on? Finally got it taken to a mechanic. (Couldn't book a PPi till after I bought it, for various stupid reasons I won't get into). Good news. Mechincally it's in good shape, hybrid engine is good, all that. Bad news. They lied to me, Car Fax is a loving waste of money, and it's technically a salvaged car because like half the outer body is different colors that they did a good (aka bad) paint job to hide it, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it. Technically, the only thing to worry about frame wise is the alignment (which they are checking at the earliest which is next Wednesday) but if that is okay it's a reliable car in theory... but they lied and there's no way I'm getting my 9 grand back. On the plus side, I don't resell cars. I just drive them till they are not worth fixing, and my plan with this CT200H was to drive it for 5-10 years and then buy a full EV from a dealership. If the alignment is okay, I probably will do that, and just get a car cover to keep it from the paint fading. But I may still try to get my money back from the car guy, or at least a discount because he's a small dealer and he committed fraud. (Ad and paperwork said clean car no accidents).

I won't talk to the guy until after I find out about the alignment which is a good thing because it's been a long time since I was this anger. My dad thinks it's probably okay alignment wise because otherwise it didn't make much sense for them to go to all the work to fix it up in the first place. The interior is in fantastic shape. It's only when you go underneath and really look at the small poo poo that you would see that it was from a different Lexus of a different color.

LionArcher fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 27, 2021

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Loan Dusty Road posted:

Got a carmax close? Just go test drive a bunch of poo poo. They also do 24 hour test drives if you ask. They will even let a 17 year old take a C7 Corvette on a 24 hour test drive.

This is a very specific example

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

LionArcher posted:

You know how that Lexus hatch I got I was stoked on? Finally got it taken to a mechanic. (Couldn't book a PPi till after I bought it, for various stupid reasons I won't get into). Good news. Mechincally it's in good shape, hybrid engine is good, all that. Bad news. They lied to me, Car Fax is a loving waste of money, and it's technically a salvaged car because like half the outer body is different colors that they did a good (aka bad) paint job to hide it, and I feel like an idiot for not seeing it. Technically, the only thing to worry about frame wise is the alignment (which they are checking at the earliest which is next Wednesday) but if that is okay it's a reliable car in theory... but they lied and there's no way I'm getting my 9 grand back. On the plus side, I don't resell cars. I just drive them till they are not worth fixing, and my plan with this CT200H was to drive it for 5-10 years and then buy a full EV from a dealership. If the alignment is okay, I probably will do that, and just get a car cover to keep it from the paint fading. But I may still try to get my money back from the car guy, or at least a discount because he's a small dealer and he committed fraud. (Ad and paperwork said clean car no accidents).

I won't talk to the guy until after I find out about the alignment which is a good thing because it's been a long time since I was this anger. My dad thinks it's probably okay alignment wise because otherwise it didn't make much sense for them to go to all the work to fix it up in the first place. The interior is in fantastic shape. It's only when you go underneath and really look at the small poo poo that you would see that it was from a different Lexus of a different color.

While this sucks and this isn’t going to take off the sting, but do you think little lots like this are going to inspect a car in more depth than you are? If the Carfax was clean and they didn’t do their own inspection and hide what they found then there wasn’t any fraud.

Now if they bought a wrecked car and fixed it up and did some title fuckery to hide it that’s another story. Do a google search on the VIN. A lot of wrecks will go through auction and you can find them posted online with post damage, prefixed pictures.

Unsinkabear posted:

This is a very specific example

Hah, the very young “tuner” kid that was helping me told me about it. And also how employees are allowed to do 24 hour test drives and that he’s driven the piss out of all the fun cars already. Thankfully he didn’t know what the SHO was before I bought it.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 28, 2021