Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

GD_American posted:

Is Warm Bodies the last real stab at something different from zombie films?

The Girl With All The Gifts
Patient Zero
Freaks of Nature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

GD_American posted:

No, Army of the Dead came out last week.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
One Cut of the Dead!

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Roth posted:

No, Army of the Dead came out last week.

This is what you get for not specifying quality, GD_American.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

TychoCelchuuu posted:

One Cut of the Dead!

Its flawed and inspired and honestly pretty brilliant in its structure go in completely blind

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Judakel posted:

If he wanted bad movies then idk

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Roth posted:

If he wanted bad movies then idk

Don't worry, you just gave him one.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'm sure you'll get in an own that leads to a page of emptyquotes eventually. Keep trying.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Roth posted:

I'm sure you'll get in an own that leads to a page of emptyquotes eventually. Keep trying.

I can see it wasn't just Big Mean Jerk that you have a thin skin around.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Inspector Hound posted:

TRAIN

TO

BUSAN

#Alive

:colbert:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

#Alive was alright.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

GD_American posted:

I don't hate Snyder movies, but I don't understand how he went from being a Bay analogue to someone that studios and fans actually believe make good movies. His visual stuff is kinda whiz-bang but still flawed, and the story and characterizations are atrocious. If someone just said they like the Big Dumb Fun, hey, cool. But quit pretending he's got the whole toolbox as a director
Michael Bay makes good movies too hth

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

can any thread avoid boring-rear end snyderchat

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Roth posted:

#Alive was alright.

Certainly better than #Horror

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Weirdly there's a shot for shot remake for #Alive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHKgptVbT9s

Not sure the first one was exploding with untapped market potential

Donald fuckin' Sutherland, though

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

TychoCelchuuu posted:

One Cut of the Dead!

Absolutely. As said, go in blind. But be patient - I nearly gave up about 30 minutes in, which is when things start to come together.

The sequel is on YouTube and is hugely entertaining too

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I said this when I first watched one cut of the dead, but even knowing there was a twist ruined it for me. Which I pretty much figured out because of everyone saying to go in blind haha. I had no idea what it was I just knew I shouldn't be taking it at face value. The result was me watching an unbelievably terrible zombie movie that I knew was going to turn into something else (honestly it was so bad I would have probably figured out something was up with it regardless of people recommending it) and then it turned into a dramedy I just got bored with and turned off 20 minutes before it ended. I feel like the only context I could have appreciated that movie would have been completely stumbling on it myself and even then it would have seemed pretty novel because I didn't really care about what was going on at any point

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

Going thru his catalogue and uhhh 300 was cool. I don’t see anything else I liked it’s almost entirely DC movies lol.
300 and watchmen were p. deece imo, but i was a kid when i watched the former :newlol:

A MIRACLE posted:

Why do people like this dude
it varies from person to person. some do it because they want to be contrarian, others because they spiraled down from defending man of steel against the marvel machine, others just because they have poo poo taste, sometimes its a combination.

Judakel posted:

Don't worry, you just gave him one.
based

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Christopher Nolan liked Watchmen a lot so when he was producing a Superman movie he had neither interest nor time to direct, he gave it to Snyder. WB at that time believed they were the "director's studio" which was easy to believe because of Nolan. Unfortunately for them, freedom for directors means they won't just get any average mass market blockbuster they want. And that is how Snyder became a legend for his fans and how he became some sort of Don Quixote windmill monster for WB leadership.

It helps that he's generally nice and non-toxic in an industry known for assholes.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My partner likes crime movies/psychological thrillers, some of the stuff we've watched the last few nights:
Great:
Frailty (Prime)
Good/Fun:
Layer Cake (Prime)
Bad:
Lucky Number Slevin (Hulu)

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Was Lucky Number Slevin the one where the Jewish mafia and the black mafia hire Bruce Willis to kill a seemingly random guy but it turns out Bruce and the target is executing an elaborate revenge plan against the mafia bosses that they planned for decades?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

TRAIN

TO

BUSAN

What was new about that movie? A huge disappointment as well.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

The MSJ posted:

Was Lucky Number Slevin the one where the Jewish mafia and the black mafia hire Bruce Willis to kill a seemingly random guy but it turns out Bruce and the target is executing an elaborate revenge plan against the mafia bosses that they planned for decades?

Yeah. I would have liked it more if the Josh Hartnett character really was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Judakel posted:

Can't argue there

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

GD_American posted:

Kingdom.

It's a show, a Korean period drama. But with the Train to Busan zombies.
It's loving rad.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I think you could categorize Les Revenants broadly as "trying to do something new with the zombie concept". Man I really loved that series. Great soundtrack too.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Has anyone watched Rebecca on Netflix? I'm coincidentally reading the book and it's amazing. I feel like with all the gothic density someone like David Lynch could have knocked an adaptation out of the park but I'm less certain about a more straightforward treatment.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Shageletic posted:

What was new about that movie? A huge disappointment as well.

The most recent zombie movie I can remember that's better than Army of the Dead; I remember it being petty fun though, maybe falling apart in the last twenty minutes or so but what zombie movie doesn't

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Inspector Hound posted:

The most recent zombie movie I can remember that's better than Army of the Dead; I remember it being petty fun though, maybe falling apart in the last twenty minutes or so but what zombie movie doesn't

28 Days Later actually got better in its last 20 minutes.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Santa Clarita Diet did something different with zombies, which is, make them funny as hell.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I still say 28 Weeks Later is underrated and I'm sad we never got 28 Years Later

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
The last zombie thing I liked was the Netflix series Black Summer. Overall it was pretty solid.

Edit: Just saw season 2 coming out in a few weeks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Was it still related to Z Nation or was that idea shelved before filming?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Maybe there needs to be a thread for bad zombie movies.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Simone Magus posted:

I still say 28 Weeks Later is underrated and I'm sad we never got 28 Years Later

Agreed. Some absolutely fantastic sequences in 28 Weeks Later. Ive rewatched quite a bit more than 28 Days Later.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Simone Magus posted:

There's still time, maybe they planned to Cobra Kai it from the beginning

e oh man, less time than I thought, that's distressing

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dead Set was a pretty fun take. Standard zombie fare, to be sure, but the setting was unique.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

regulargonzalez posted:

Has anyone watched Rebecca on Netflix? I'm coincidentally reading the book and it's amazing. I feel like with all the gothic density someone like David Lynch could have knocked an adaptation out of the park but I'm less certain about a more straightforward treatment.

It's ok, but not as good as the book. I was quite disappointed because I really like the director normally.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Desperado Bones posted:

Kingdom.

It's a show, a Korean period drama. But with the Train to Busan zombies.
It's loving rad.

Yeah, it's legit. Come for the zombies, stay for the courtly intrigue.

Actually, I lied. Stay for the hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Was it still related to Z Nation or was that idea shelved before filming?

I never seen Z Nation, but I heard it was a spin off. Only reason I watched because I was sick in bed a few years ago. It was a pleasant surprise given how burnt out I was on zombies.

Remember the days of getting excited about the new upcoming TWD series? My Dawn of the Dead (OG version) loving rear end was so excited. Ahh to be that young and naive again.