Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SeanGaffney posted:

Agreed. That said, almost everyone was terrible in this. Ren, Akito, Ren, Shigure, Ren, the two housekeepers fighting over who can have the most subtle control of the family, and Ren.

I want to take almost all the families in this show, throw them in the garbage, and replace them with Hiro's mom.

On the other hand, holy poo poo, Hiro's mum is so good. She managed to perfectly understand what happened to Hiro despite Hiro only talking about his mixed feelings and having no way to know how it feels for a bond to break, since she's not cursed herself, and without second thought immediately took him in her arms and tried to calm him down. Until now she was always written as scatterbrained, but it's clear that she's perfectly in tune with her son and fully understands and cares about him. It's a great thing to see in a series where parents are...well, the Soma parents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Guess chicken's for dinner tonight.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

SeanGaffney posted:

I want to take almost all the families in this show, throw them in the garbage, and replace them with Hiro's mom.

Like I posted a couple pages (and the better part of a year) back, the split between good and bad parents is more even than you'd realize, because the bad parenting is more pertinent to the plot and the central characters. Also, Akito's family is what the [REDACTED] bit was referring to.

I'd argue that the old retainer lady is the closest thing the show has to a pure villain. Even Ren, as awful as she is, is a rather broken person, but the nameless old lady doesn't have that excuse.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Y'know, for what was basically a 20 minute Kyo monologue that episode was extremely good.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Ibblebibble posted:

Y'know, for what was basically a 20 minute Kyo monologue that episode was extremely good.

Yuki and Kyo ran in different directions down the stairs lol

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Finally got around to starting this season and the pacing seems really fast compared to the previous two, to the point where there's some tonal whiplash between scene changes with the same characters (the one with Shigure talking to Rin and Tohru at Shisho's place comes to mind). I'm still engaged and at the edge of my seat, but it feels like they're going to wrap it up in 12-13 episodes instead of a full 24-26. I chose a hell of an episode to have to wait another week for, though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Coxswain Balls posted:

Finally got around to starting this season and the pacing seems really fast compared to the previous two, to the point where there's some tonal whiplash between scene changes with the same characters (the one with Shigure talking to Rin and Tohru at Shisho's place comes to mind). I'm still engaged and at the edge of my seat, but it feels like they're going to wrap it up in 12-13 episodes instead of a full 24-26. I chose a hell of an episode to have to wait another week for, though.

I'm pretty sure we've always known that the final season was just gonna be 1 cour, yeah.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I didn't know that so that would explain it then. I was hoping we'd be getting more time with side characters since they do such a good job of making them interesting and likeable, but if there isn't that much material left to cover that can fill 24 episodes then it makes sense.

I hope they're at least able to explore Machi and Yuki's relationship a bit more before it wraps up. I really like how he's developed over the last season.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I feel like if this didn't break the bond between Akiko and Kyo I have no idea what will, except maybe him accepting that he can be happy.

Feel like after some of these "you gave the girl I love a concussion after slashing her with a knife" should be enough.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Shigure's ice cold, first thing he says "well, did you push her?"

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Sounds like everyone owes the Cat an apology.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Kyo's Extremely Stressful Super Dramatic No-Good Day.

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Man they're really nailing the landing so far. I'm gonna be so sad when it's finally over, I want an OVA or something so I can see them all being happy after the fact.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Coxswain Balls posted:

Man they're really nailing the landing so far. I'm gonna be so sad when it's finally over, I want an OVA or something so I can see them all being happy after the fact.

There’s no OVA, but a spin-off was announced that is going to focus on Kyoko and Katsuya. It’s going to adapt a bunch of stuff from the manga that was taken out of this adaptation.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Nice ending. Could've done with another episode to see the new banquet starting, but i also would've liked another 10 eps so maybe I'm just greedy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John DiFool
Aug 28, 2013

There’s another banquet??? Didn’t they learn their lesson already, sheesh.