Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Jeff Bezos' twelve ingredients are him vaguely being aware that Campbell's monomyth has been used as a blueprint for a lot of media he's consumed. Truly an enlightened thinker of our age on par with a highschool senior writing a 3 page english essay.

Which follows beat in that Mookie's storytelling never advanced beyond what he had going for himself in highschool either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

FlocksOfMice posted:

Jeff Bezos' twelve ingredients are him vaguely being aware that Campbell's monomyth has been used as a blueprint for a lot of media he's consumed. Truly an enlightened thinker of our age on par with a highschool senior writing a 3 page english essay.

But he is rich and therefore an expert on everything, including things he has never studied!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Caphi posted:

https://twitter.com/BradStone/status/1397551413471760389

See? Mookie does have "diverse worldbuilding"!
Let me demonstrate my ability to shift disciplines and reduce building a rocket ship down to its most essential essence:
  • they're kinda long and thin
  • they're usually pointy at one end
  • there's fire at the other end
  • they have like fins and stuff
  • there's a place for people to sit
  • they're usually painted white or sometimes silver but I think other colours are also okay
  • oh! they're not supposed to blow up
After you guys are done building your rocket ship come back here and I can tell you how to cure cancer.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

FlocksOfMice posted:

The replies to that tweet are just every single person completely dunking on Brad Stone for thinking Bezos is a genius for such incredible insights as "stories have characters."

Cloacamazing! posted:

- Wish fulfillment: While Snout has never expressed a desire for two mom-wifes, this is probably the case.
- Moral choices: At some point Snout will have to choose between his two mom-wifes, because polygamy is for jocks.

For wish fulfillment Snout probably also has some bullshit dream powers that are going to be important at some point for some reason.

Also there is absolutely no way Snout will be forced to choose between Ink Witch and corpsemom, one of them will die in a violent moment that will probably be intended to be heroic, so Snout doesn't have to make that decision.

SubG posted:

Let me demonstrate my ability to shift disciplines and reduce building a rocket ship down to its most essential essence:

All of these check out so I can only conclude you have a characteristic ability to shift disciplines multiple times a day and reduce complex issues to their most essential essence.

I'm only capable of one discipline per day, and I'm already shitposting on this site, so I can't cook dinner tonight.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Twelve by Pies posted:

Also there is absolutely no way Snout will be forced to choose between Ink Witch and corpsemom, one of them corpsemom will die in a violent moment that will probably be intended to be heroic, so Snout doesn't have to make that decision. All of these check out so I can only conclude you have a characteristic ability to shift disciplines multiple times a day and reduce complex issues to their most essential essence.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

No, corpsemom is the chosen waifu of the Mookie insert and will suffer immensely in the story but will survive.

Ink Witch will die for the crimes of not being the waifu and being remotely attractive.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Roman Reigns posted:

No, corpsemom is the chosen waifu of the Mookie insert and will suffer immensely in the story but will survive.

Ink Witch will die for the crimes of not being the waifu and being remotely attractive.

You say that now, but you forget when Ink Witch was clearly supposed to be the chosen waifu until people were really uncomfortable about her bullshit.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Plus, Ink Witch is the character with the most connection to what passes for a plot. Corpsemom can't provide worthless exposition.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Back to nothing happening.

First, so obviously traced. I mean come on.

Second, I love that Snout appears to just be dramatically posing and looking sad, just waiting for someone to ask what's wrong.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This somehow feels like a ripoff of Guernica.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Midnight Voyager posted:

You say that now, but you forget when Ink Witch was clearly supposed to be the chosen waifu until people were really uncomfortable about her bullshit.

:hmmyes: I have forgotten Mookie's tendency to push characters as a big deal despite people being uncomfortable with them.

oriongates posted:

Plus, Ink Witch is the character with the most connection to what passes for a plot. Corpsemom can't provide worthless exposition.

This is assuming Mookie is competent enough to recognize this fact, though.

Oh hey new page. And nothing happened, moving on

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Wait, how many miles has Snout walked to do these poses? Because Arudak's tower is in some sort of white void/flat grassplane with mountains on one side, as seen two strips ago. Snout then shat in some grassy hills with different mountains in the background, posed dramatically in front of an orchard and now masturbates at a river that was nowhere visible before.

Has he run away from home?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Isn't it fun to play with Photoshop brushes. Just slap a texture on, adjust the spacing and put in a little scattering

You can even download other people's brush presets so you don't even gotta be bothered to do that much

Scrape the stylus across the screen and you got yourself a comic, buddy

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Did someone shoot him in that second panel?

Good.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Is he hanging off the edge of a cliff in that second panel, because that's the only way his pose makes sense. Otherwise his right leg is turned at a real loving weird angle.

RandomPauI posted:

This somehow feels like a ripoff of Guernica.

Take that, Guernica!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He doesn't even draw that poo poo. They're photographs with a filter over them. What a hack.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Beelzebufo posted:

Second, I love that Snout appears to just be dramatically posing and looking sad, just waiting for someone to ask what's wrong.

oh good, hes dead.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Caphi posted:

https://twitter.com/BradStone/status/1397551413471760389

See? Mookie does have "diverse worldbuilding"!

Wait... That original tweet WASN'T suppose to be making fun of Bezos?!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
He absolutely looks like he's taking a piss in that first panel with the way he arms are positioned and how his robe is hiked up

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Happy Landfill posted:

He absolutely looks like he's taking a piss in that first panel with the way he arms are positioned and how his robe is hiked up

With that in mind he could be drunk

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Happy Landfill posted:

That would explain the weird lighter area that looks like steam

Captain Kosmos
Mar 28, 2010

think of it like the "Who's Who" of genitals

Beelzebufo posted:

I guess that river was lava and he died. Thats why theres steam/smoke rising from the corpse and the river.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Captain Kosmos posted:

I guess that river was lava and he died. Thats why theres steam/smoke rising from the corpse and the river.

Obi-Van Kenovbi cuts off all of Snout's limbs leading to a four year long hurt-comfort arc.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Midnight Voyager posted:

I've said it before, Ink Witch is going to turn out to be a Deegan. It explains both her role as a co-protagonist and why mookie isn't giving us her name and having to come up with bullshit like "oh all ink witches get nicknames. mine is, uhh, ink witch". At the very least, I'm convinced that was the initial plan. Given that mookie threw her out of the story when people pointed out how much of a creep she was being and changed gears when he was feeling the social isolation getting to him and introduced corpsewife as a co-protag in her place, maybe he's changed plans. Even now that everyone's in the same place corpsewife seems to retain the co-protag seat.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

I know Panel 2 is supposed to be a hill overlooking a river, but because there's no visual distinction between the foreground and background it makes it look like Snout's a thousand feet tall.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Samovar posted:

Wait... That original tweet WASN'T suppose to be making fun of Bezos?!

Oh no, not at all, Brad Stone loving loves Bezos and thinks he's a genius. From a review of the book that excerpt came from:

"Stone is as much 'a student of organisations, culture, and innovation' as Bezos, and he shows his admiration for the way in which Amazon continues to use its leverage to grow, and the management techniques the Amazon founder uses."

Codependent Poster posted:

He doesn't even draw that poo poo. They're photographs with a filter over them. What a hack.

Like I've said before early in the comic he talked about being inspired by stuff like Moebius, and even though his locations were uninteresting and lovely he at least drew them, but I feel like he eventually went "This is too much work, but I still want to have things like this in my comic." So that's when he turned to just tracing photos, but now we see even that was too much work for him, and now he's just taking GIS searches and slapping photoshop filters on them.

He wants to create things, but without the hassle of, you know, creating them.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
This time would've been better spent if Mookie just said he didn't feel like making the comic this month and didn't post anything.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

PoptartsNinja posted:

I know Panel 2 is supposed to be a hill overlooking a river, but because there's no visual distinction between the foreground and background it makes it look like Snout's a thousand feet tall.

I just thought it's a tiny creek.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I thought it was a hill in the foreground with a river in the middle distance leading back to a lake. That's the only way that top shape makes any sense to me.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

This still sucks but it just boring sucks now, not cringe sucks

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1397905683140464640

OH WAIT THERE WE GO

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 28, 2021

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
This strip is increasingly, monumentally awful plot points separated by months of white noise. Just sit tight.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

This still sucks but it just boring sucks now, not cringe sucks

https://twitter.com/mookiebean/status/1397905683140464640

OH WAIT THERE WE GO

He really is mentally a teen. Not even clever or funny.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

And once again his weird-rear end obsession with paladins and LG characters

He totally thinks doomguy is a Paladin because apparently lawful good means "kills demons"

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 28, 2021

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Berserk kits existing make him a barbarian by default.

As someone who does love LG type characters his view/portrayal of that poo poo annoys the gently caress out of me.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

I think we've amply proved in dissecting Mookie's oeuvres that he doesn't actually care about the idea of a moral code.

It's really just the power fantasy combined with a sense of moral righteousness. It's not just that he/his characters can beat up the bad guys, it's that beating up the bad guys in a just punishment that they deserve.

I don't think Mookie sees a difference between demons and JOCKS.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Rotten Red Rod posted:

And once again his weird-rear end obsession with paladins and LG characters

He totally thinks doomguy is a Paladin because apparently lawful good means "kills demons"

:mad: Doom Guy is a rage elemental, and he's powered by demon energy, he's just TOO ANGRY to get corrupted by it like everybody else is.

Or, well, he consumes concentrated Argent Energy with no drawbacks whatsoever, at least, the reasoning isn't clear unless it comes up in the end of Eternal. But he's defintely very angry and can consume hell energy fine.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Chapter 18: Class Action Part 1

It’s hard to describe this chapter, since it’s really just that a series of loosely interconnected little stories about Dominic’s time as a university professor, which he gets is a job because of nepotism. Just like Luna, there’s also a bunch of soap opera nonsense with Melna’s and Luna’s other coworkers. And plenty of jocks getting owned

To start, I'm going to say that I don't think Mookie is ever actually been to a university class. This is how people who have only seen universities depicted in movies think university works. It's no shade on Mookie, but Dominic's whole attitude towards teaching is awful, and I hate it. Right off the bat, Dominic gets to play the super complex physics professor whose genius is only appreciated by few. It's such a clichéd trope, and for Dominic to have that persona on top of everything else he has is just so wish fulfilment on Mookie's part.

Pay attention to this strip in particular though, because I find it funny how much it illustrates how everything Dominic says from this point on it is just a lie. This is an accurate demonstration of how Dominic's powers manifested in the comic. Dominic's eyes go all white and unfocused, and he instantly is gifted revelatory knowledge of whatever he is looking for, with no interpretation or context required. It's also Dominic flexing on his students, as if that was required on the first day of classes.

And here's where the bullshit starts. Mookie is going to make the point that for someone to interpret either visions or information gleaned from second sight, they need a lot of contextual knowledge in order to allow them to make sense of the information they acquire. Dominic has literally never had to do this in the entire run of the comic. At most, he has always just carried the prior knowledge that he needed on the topic that comes up, because he's a lazy Mary Sue character. It's such an rear end pull to make Dominic seem even more impressive, as if he was his great King of the nerds who absorbed all the books. But, like I said, in all the important visions that he is had he's always been given direct information, has never had to interpret signs or symbols or any sort of cultural context. Mookie is such a hack

Does Dominic expect them to read an entire textbook in one night? Also he's apparently researching his students and their schedules? Everything about this is creepy and wrong. But, you can see why Mookie would think it's a good idea. Because despite the fact that he wants Dominic to come off as the genie as hard rear end prof., he doesn't like the idea of Dominic actually being mean or the villain in the way this character would be in a movie. So instead Dominic us to be a creepy puppetmaster who knows in advance that none of the other students will have homework so he can assign as much he wants, as if that still didn't make him an rear end in a top hat.

Mookie just felt like drawing Cassafinn's rear end. That's pretty obvious.

So here's where I feel like the comic starts to make Barthis and Quiral the same town. In previous arcs they just teleported from one identical looking street scene to another one, and now they're flying home, which would seem to imply that the two towns are pretty close together, unless Luna flies at the speed of a jetliner. More and more in the comic from this point forward it makes no difference which town they are in, and I guess in a sense it really shouldn't matter, but I just think it is funny.

Again, despite everything that Dominic was saying his class, second sight for him act more like magical security cameras. I think this is really the problem with the whole concept of Dominic Deegan as it existed at this point.. The concept of a seer has a lot of drama you can mine out of it precisely because of incomplete knowledge, the whole Jacob/Vilrath thing being a really good example of using it well. But by this point Dominic is just functionally omniscient. The only time he won't be able to see some important, is when Mookie wants to do some blood and gore on unimportant characters. Dominic can just set up's crying spells on all of his major villains and I guess record them when he's not around? Like what is the purpose of this stand if it's not recording what the crystal balls are showing. Dominic just became too powerful

I think it was Zerilan who said a woman is sexual is immediately punished for it! Well here it is again, Luna must be embarrassed because she showed her boobies. Though I love that Mookie thinks is the type of thing that people would flirt with, like Jesus that is awkward dialogue.

You even have the counterexample, where the man who's acting sexy gets to be all cool and confident about it, showing his dong outlined to his mother-in-law. It's literally just a one-for-one replaying of that trope. See Mookie can revel in Luna's discomfort while still having all of his characters be super understanding about sex and so progressive.

For Mookie, reading those books is gives you extra ranks in those skills on your character sheet.

So again, why exactly the orcs like Donovan, except maybe a stupid clown sort of way. As cultural emissaries go, he seems to be pretty terrible.
Kurzon Dax, he ain't. In fact, it's hard not to read him as the oblivious white guy at the protest, possibly high off his rear end on something.

And here's where Mookie has decided that Dominic and Luna still haven't slept together, because I guess they're both loving teenagers waiting for marriage? And that was how Luna was going to make it known, by stripping down to her underwear a couple of hours before Dominic's mom was supposed to show up for supper? I can't take this as anything other than more of Mookie's extreme sexual immaturity, where he seems literally uncomfortable with the idea that these characters could just be having a sex life. Ditto also Dominic dreaming of Luna's breasts, but he's a 10-year-old boy who just saw them for the first time. And yes we know that Dominic is a virgin, and neither is Luna, because we have seen both of their sexual histories brought up the comic.

Here's another of the classic Deegan terrible strips. Just look at all those torsos that end without heads. Also weird that Dominic would feel guilty about having this dream, and that that is a thought that he'd have in his head. I'm sorry but this comment radiates sex negativity so often that is really hard not to just pick it out every time it appears, because it's a big through line of the lot of Mookie's work. And it sort of puts him the weirdness of legacy in the context. The innocent cuddle snuggle thing, which is again really just showing Mookie's continued discomfort with actual sexuality.

This is just gross. This is supposed to be Dominic being a gentleman I guess and not lusting after his student, just apparently lusting after her body with his wife's head on it. I don't have a word for how weird that is. And that's not even getting into the whole Melna diatribe, with its overtones of "men want sex, women want love", which is again another horrible stereotype woven into the fabric of this comic.

Oh yeah get ready for a lot of terrible poo poo with Melna, because this arc is where she admits that she's in love with Stonewater.

Beelzebufo fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 29, 2021

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
I hate this comic.

In addition to the points you've made, that final comic is extra hilarious. Due to Mookie's refusal to vary from his 2x4 grid of tiny boxes for weekday strips and inexplicable decision to stand Melna in front of an identical vertically striped door to the one in Dominic's house, the reader has this momentary hiccup thinking she has stepped into the scene to scold Dominic. We then realize apparently we've skipped to later that morning while Luna is at work which still doesn't really work because Melna is still reacting to Dominic's speech balloon in panel 2.

I think it's already come up in the thread, but drawing wireframes over the harem of partially disarticulated Luna clones is extremely funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I forgot about the Leg of Love :barf: