Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

Groovelord Neato posted:

They cast the perfect actor for the Baron.

This. He was incredible and the one thing I remember about it other than Duke Leto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

He also was the newsreader in Rome.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chairman Capone posted:

He also was the newsreader in Rome.

True Roman bread for true Romans!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Chairman Capone posted:

I think Children of Dune is a step up. Also one of the first roles for James McAvoy.

The Children of Dune adaptation is just all around solid to me, and I think it was smart to just make Messiah and Children one story. The first adaptation, warts and all, was generally considered okay so I was surprised how many of the roles were re-cast in between. That is a bit of a downside, in some cases they got more known/talented people but I think they were miscast. Like Stilgar in Children is like, wait, this guy is Stilgar?

I still want to see someone try for adapting God Emperor of Dune. It'd basically be a Neil Breen movie with a massive budget.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Groovelord Neato posted:

They cast the perfect actor for the Baron.

Oh, yes, of course! Can't believe I forgot him. He loving slayed it.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Without having seen either, I know Skarsgard is going to take it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
He always does an amazing job.

Getting a role like that must be awesome as an actor. You don't have to hold anything back. Just turn it up to eleven and keep twisting the knob.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

phasmid posted:

Without having seen either, I know Skarsgard is going to take it.

Ian McNeice is the best glutton actor in the business (he's also amazing in Conspiracy in a similar role) so I'm not so sure. It wouldn't surprise me if he does but it's not a done deal.

Zohn
Jul 21, 2006

Trust me, pinko, you ain't half he-man enough for Mickey Spillane's Rye Whisky.

Grimey Drawer
I haven't watched the miniseries since it aired, but I remember thinking it was rough at the time despite being at peak "I'll devour any scifi dreck on TV" age and a newly minted Dune fanatic.

Inserting Princess Irulan into the banquet scene for a little world building exposition dump is an inspired choice though, and in a meta way mirrors her in-universe quotations in the novel. Plus it gave us that butterfly dress which is some real Lynch style Dune-rear end bullshit that you gotta love.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I remember there were some weird accents on display which I thought was a good touch since people on different planets would obviously talk differently even if they’re speaking the same language. I don’t know if that was intentional or just a side effect of hiring budget European actors though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The miniseries had its moments but there were a few key scenes that the Lynch version just plain staged better, like Leto's death or Paul's reunion with Gurney (which is actually closer to the book in the Lynch version.) It was very uneven.

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Lynch movie was good. Good David Lynch movie. Good Dune movie.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Groovelord Neato posted:

Ian McNeice is the best glutton actor in the business (he's also amazing in Conspiracy in a similar role) so I'm not so sure. It wouldn't surprise me if he does but it's not a done deal.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I like him but he just doesn't match the ol' headcanon. With the miniseries, I've seen several clips and it just seems like it'd be hard to sit through.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the miniseries isn't great but the baron is one of the wonderful parts. and i feel like they cast paul based on messiah and children, which the miniseries did afterward, where the actor really looks and sells the part.

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

YoursTruly posted:

Lynch movie was good. Good David Lynch movie. Good Dune movie.

:hmmyes:

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
Miniseries is way better than the Lynch film.

I didn't give a poo poo about anyone in the film.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
To be honest I don't think Lynch's Dune was a good example of a Lynch movie or a good Dune adaptation.

But it's still cool to watch if you're in the mood for something wierd and gross.

The miniseries is just depressingly cheap even by the standards of old sci fi made for TV.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The most Lynchian thing about the movie was Lynch's cameo as the spice miner and hearing his voice talking gobbledygook over the radio.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
DUNC is going to Venice. That’s a good sign of how much faith WB has in it.

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
The syfy miniseries Fremen looked liked guys who moved to LA to sign up at a casting company.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I hope the film keeps the best scene in the book: Duke Leto faking documents to cheat on his taxes after murdering a bunch of Harkonnen loyalists.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Phyzzle posted:

The syfy miniseries Fremen looked liked guys who moved to LA to sign up at a casting company.

Gives new meaning to Cinéma vérité lol

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I watched the “Dune alternate edition redux” aka the Spicediver fan edit of Dune 1984 last night. There were a few awkward moments because he didn’t have any footage to work with (one moment that stood out was the beginnings of the Harkonnen attack) but overall it felt pretty coherent. The picture quality was godawful; I didn’t realize it was SD-only because some of the footage isn’t available in HD and YouTube didn’t do it any favors.

It kinda made me tempted to buy that upcoming Dune 4K but I can’t remember the last time I watched the theatrical cut. It’s possible I’ve only previously seen the extended cut, and even that was years ago last. It’s a shame Lynch refuses to touch it anymore because there is clearly enough material for an “official” improved cut.

Maybe it’s because I recently watched Flash Gordon, but some of the production design felt similar. The clunky spaceships & aerial vehicles especially have some of that same vibe and both have some pretty baroque interiors. The shoddy compositing in Dune is also an unintentional callback… (seriously, how did parts of this movie end up looking so cheap?)

Even with a three-hour cut there were parts that felt really compressed. Paul turning into a Fremen and going all Lawrence of Arabia was very stunted. I just don’t know how you could have done better in a single movie without radically simplifying the beginning; there’s just too much stuff to cover for a single movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

david_a posted:

I watched the “Dune alternate edition redux” aka the Spicediver fan edit of Dune 1984 last night. There were a few awkward moments because he didn’t have any footage to work with (one moment that stood out was the beginnings of the Harkonnen attack) but overall it felt pretty coherent. The picture quality was godawful; I didn’t realize it was SD-only because some of the footage isn’t available in HD and YouTube didn’t do it any favors.

It kinda made me tempted to buy that upcoming Dune 4K but I can’t remember the last time I watched the theatrical cut. It’s possible I’ve only previously seen the extended cut, and even that was years ago last. It’s a shame Lynch refuses to touch it anymore because there is clearly enough material for an “official” improved cut.

Maybe it’s because I recently watched Flash Gordon, but some of the production design felt similar. The clunky spaceships & aerial vehicles especially have some of that same vibe and both have some pretty baroque interiors. The shoddy compositing in Dune is also an unintentional callback… (seriously, how did parts of this movie end up looking so cheap?)

Even with a three-hour cut there were parts that felt really compressed. Paul turning into a Fremen and going all Lawrence of Arabia was very stunted. I just don’t know how you could have done better in a single movie without radically simplifying the beginning; there’s just too much stuff to cover for a single movie.

I have a lot of the same thoughts about that fan edit. I think it's kind of the best cut you can make with what was filmed, but it really does make it clear how rushed the production was or/and how out of hand it was because the entire third act is breakneck. But in that edit I also love how much better most of the movie flows.

david_a posted:

From the people who brought you Conan the Destroyer, The 1976 King Kong, etc.:

Also amusingly, some of the costumes from Jodorowsky's Dune are in Flash Gordon - The guards he plays football with were the old Sardaukar designs and there's a few others in Ming's court. :D

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Ming went into hiding but Rabban found him. Then Shaddam cut off Rabban's head because he had seen too much.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

Every time I reply with DUNC to a reddit fanart poster which uses the same font gimmick , I get downvoted!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin

KinkyJohn posted:

Every time I reply with DUNC to a reddit fanart poster which uses the same font gimmick , I get downvoted!

yea man you gotta speculate about the Zendaya gently caress scenes, how do u not know this? get them uppies, brah

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I've read the first three books for the first time over the last few months, I'm getting downright hype about this movie.

Speaking of gently caress scenes, I think it would be really funny if the sietch orgies turned out to be extremely awkward and goofy cuddle puddles where basically no one is in control of their physical faculties and it only makes any sense in their shared conscious experience of it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Was that something else the Matrix stole?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If they keep this font I imagine we'll differentiate between this film and other entries in the franchise by calling it Dunc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

phasmid posted:

Ming went into hiding but Rabban found him. Then Shaddam cut off Rabban's head because he had seen too much.

This movie won't be good enough to have an extra bit after Jessica tells Chani about how history will remember them as wives where it shows the Duke's ring on the ground that Paul reaches out and takes while cackling with a THE END..... ? popping up to tease Dune Messiah.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I'm about halfway through the third book and it feels like the first one in the series that's actually well written. I do like Herbert's style but the first two make no particular effort to make his jargon and abstract style approachable to general audiences.

I think the first book's aggressive weirdness makes it better and the next 2 books were too "normal" by comparison.

Then there's God Emperor of Dune and the ones with mind control sex and lol whelp

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
but no, seriously, is zendaya getting naked?

i need to know for a friend

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

but no, seriously, is zendaya getting naked?

i need to know for a friend

Nothing creepy to see here.

If anyone is interested, a writer named Harris Durani is doing a really fascinating re-read of Children of Dune on Medium right now. He’s got all sorts of fascinating insights about the Muslim origins of a lot of Fremen religious ideas and customs

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Fremen have always been Bedouin

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
No, that’s overly reductive. Herbert pulled from a variety of indigenous cultures across continents for his inspiration. That Medium post I referenced specifically goes into the origins of Jacurutu as Brazilian.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nuh-uh!

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
The Fremen are Native Americans. Hebert literally spoke about this in interviews iirc

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
JKING THEY'RE ISRAELITES AND THE HARKONENS ARE PALESTINIAN OGRES LOL FOLLOW MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
The Fremen are the Taliban. Duh.