Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zam Wesell
Mar 22, 2009

[Zam is suddenly shot in the neck by a toxic dart; Anakin and Obi-Wan see a "rocket-man" take off and fly away, and Zam dies]

Corla Plankun posted:

anyone got a good rec for a game i can play while listening to podcasts?

im way behind on a lot of poo poo i like because i don't have a commute anymore, but all of the games I play require a lot of reading so I can't keep up with the 'cast while i'm playing

previous games I've played that worked were Albion and Genshin Impact but I've put them both down permanently because i got annoyed with them after doing all the fun stuff

lotro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
shipbreaker, satisfactory, and factorio are all really great for chilling and listening to podcasts.

also i played the demo/prologue for The Riftbreaker: https://store.steampowered.com/app/780310/The_Riftbreaker/ and it was pretty fun

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

binding of isaac as mentioned earlier is definitely a game you can zone out to once you get the hang of it but it’s pretty intense at first

it took me about 420 hours to 100% before this expansion and i’ll probably be at around 550 when i finally wrap this one up

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

i just bought it since it came out on steam and ive been having a blast with it

just wait until you get to Imandra, then the blast-having will stop.

the other dlc is solid tho.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

That game owned, although I do remember the worst part of it being the insanely complicated weapon trees.

i'm "shining bravado"

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Cat Face Joe posted:

yeah, this is actually why i want to. i managed to scrape my way to the last boss and was doing a single point of damage with each hit so defeating him was impossible

You actually got me interested in playing DC2 again. It's $6 on the playstation store fyi.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Just a boy and his wrench saving the world, the ideal game.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

jesus WEP posted:

there’s a game coming out next week called slipways that would probably be pretty much a perfect podcast buddy

simpways

is that anything

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

bump_fn posted:

simpways

is that anything
its your post history

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

there's a mechwarrior 5 mercenaries??

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You actually got me interested in playing DC2 again. It's $6 on the playstation store fyi.

alas i am without ps4

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

dioxazine posted:

there's a mechwarrior 5 mercenaries??

yeah it's 3/5, at least the last time i played it. it scratches the mechwarrior itch, but the story's pretty short and kind of lame. there are over 9000 planets you can go to but only like 4 different mission types that don't really change except for the bad guys can show up with heavier mechs, so it's pointless to spend hundreds of thousands of space bucks going from sector to sector unless you're looking for a specific rare mech or smth. maybe they updated it or put out some dlc idk

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

sounds kind of unfortunate. i might as well play the harebrained mech commander game again if that's the case

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
i know it's passe, but i still really like overwatch and i play it often. i like territory control as a mechanic more than straight elimination like in apex legends, fortnight, pubg, or similar. i never played tf2, so maybe that's why i haven't outgrown it like many others have

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

have you ever heard of battlefield op?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

man I could go for some battlefield right now. When's the new one out? They're best at first release where loads of poo poo is completely broken :dice:

I don't think I've ever had as much fun in multiplayer as spamming mortars was in BF4 before they patched the rate of fire down and you could rack up constant rage inducing kills from the back line of the map while the enemy raged

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

Jenny Agutter posted:

have you ever heard of battlefield op?

i have never played any of the battlefield games

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

man I could go for some battlefield right now. When's the new one out? They're best at first release where loads of poo poo is completely broken :dice:

I don't think I've ever had as much fun in multiplayer as spamming mortars was in BF4 before they patched the rate of fire down and you could rack up constant rage inducing kills from the back line of the map while the enemy raged

I really do miss playing bf3/4 on goon servers. bf5 is on game rear end so I gave it a shot, maybe I'm just old but I had a hard time getting into it, just get killed constantly. I found the mode where you build outposts pretty fun at least

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i want a tactical vr mechwarrior game. please. i'm begging anyone out there listening. PLEASE

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I forget whether it was 3 or 4 where they gave you remote recon drones that could kill other players by crashing into them, that was hilarious

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i want a tactical vr mechwarrior game. please. i'm begging anyone out there listening. PLEASE

like, you're looking at a tactical map in vr and moving the little mechs around? or do you mean piloting a mech in a high fidelity "simulation?"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Battlefield is fun but some of them take too much from call of duty. I like the big maps and stupid vehicles

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

Battlefield is fun but some of them take too much from call of duty. I like the big maps and stupid vehicles

generally agreed but I actually really enjoyed the close quarters expansion for 3. those maps were just really well done

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://www.fanatical.com/en/bundle/killer-bundle-17

this bundle is worth picking up at this price just for Undead Horde, never mind the six other games you're getting for less than a fiver.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Planescape torment is a fantastic game and alone worth the price of the bundle.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i liked most of the battlefields but BF5 sucked and afaik it killed the series

all the battlefront games are total garbage

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the battlefield games were great until 2142, which was a seriously mixed bag, and then everything after that sucked

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Battlefield 1 was awesome and it's still full of people. Bad Company 2 was amazing to and you can still find very active servers

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
bf1 was good. i liked all the lack of TACTICAL gear and scopes and poo poo.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

like, you're looking at a tactical map in vr and moving the little mechs around? or do you mean piloting a mech in a high fidelity "simulation?"

squad of friends all piloting our own mechs. tactical as in TTK is extremely low ala counter strike rather than the arcadey damage system they have now

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i want to experience the terror of realizing an enemy scout has been painting your squad and a catapult over the next ridge just unleashed a salvo. not as in 'oh ouch i guess that's a bit of damage' i mean seeing those flares over the horizon and thinking 'welp gg i guess'

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

flight simulators are like that. you should try them.

- 15 minutes starting up the plane and aligning the INS (restart at least once because someone in your flight hosed up and now their plane's HUD doesn't work or whatever)
- take off and spend 20 minutes following waypoints and poking at cryptic targeting pod controls
- identify the target, drop one bomb on it, still flying in a straight line at 30,000 feet
- RWR suddenly lights up and you're surrounded by SAMs
- MISSILE LAUNCH MISSILE LAUNCH BREAK BREAK BREAK CHAFF FLARE
- you and your wingman both dive to the ground and get in a furball with half a dozen migs, cannon shells streaking by your cockpit
- either kill them all in 2 minutes or they will kill you, usually with an infrared missile you never see coming
- head back to base but now you're almost out of fuel, so you have to fly at 30% throttle praying nobody comes after you
- perform a perfect carrier trap with 15 seconds of fuel left
- AI plane lands directly on top of you and explodes

it's a blast

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Achmed Jones posted:

monster hunter rise

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

flight simulators are like that. you should try them.

- 15 minutes starting up the plane and aligning the INS (restart at least once because someone in your flight hosed up and now their plane's HUD doesn't work or whatever)
- take off and spend 20 minutes following waypoints and poking at cryptic targeting pod controls
- identify the target, drop one bomb on it, still flying in a straight line at 30,000 feet
- RWR suddenly lights up and you're surrounded by SAMs
- MISSILE LAUNCH MISSILE LAUNCH BREAK BREAK BREAK CHAFF FLARE
- you and your wingman both dive to the ground and get in a furball with half a dozen migs, cannon shells streaking by your cockpit
- either kill them all in 2 minutes or they will kill you, usually with an infrared missile you never see coming
- head back to base but now you're almost out of fuel, so you have to fly at 30% throttle praying nobody comes after you
- perform a perfect carrier trap with 15 seconds of fuel left
- AI plane lands directly on top of you and explodes

it's a blast

nah i don't care about the simulator aspect of it. i care about the ttk being super low which increases the stress and consideration that has to go into every action you make as a squad. one careless peek over a ridge can get your head blown off. so every action is deliberate and as a result when the action heats up it gets HOT

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

that sounds like you could just take a regular mechwarrior game and a 5kb mutator to reduce everyone's health, then.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

nah you’d have to rebalance it from the ground up because lasers / cannons would just dominate the meta if you didn’t put any thought into it

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

eh i like being a giant mountain of robot that can take a bunch of hits. i also enjoy alpha striking the leg off an urbanmech or whatever and then dismantling it like a deranged kid with a magnifying glass

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

from AC/2 with love

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
finally getting around to playing disco elydium and it seems to be bugged, i’m supposed to meet someone between 10pm and 2am and they don’t spawn at all

lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Roosevelt posted:

eh i like being a giant mountain of robot that can take a bunch of hits. i also enjoy alpha striking the leg off an urbanmech or whatever and then dismantling it like a deranged kid with a magnifying glass

oh yeah don’t get me wrong this is great too. i’m just bummed that it’s all we have