Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
there were some good bits in it but overall it’s about the CIA ousting a legitimately installed ruler of a country to install someone friendly to america. also their national slogan is for some reason in English instead of Xhosa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

............it's actually reactionary (akin to saying the n word?) to say marvel movies are worse than Seven Samurai????

https://twitter.com/Sandernista412/status/1397975493417263104

this is absolutely amazing

not liking the childrens toy commercial movies i like is the same as saying the n word, just incredible?? is he like a known quantity or something because lmao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
I still say when it comes to movie fans, people who enjoy 80s schlock horror are the most tolerable bunch. Doesn't matter if it's critically panned! It's fun and it's got funny dialoague!

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

DesertIslandHermit posted:

I still say when it comes to movie fans, people who enjoy 80s schlock horror are the most tolerable bunch. Doesn't matter if it's critically panned! It's fun and it's got funny dialoague!

this is why rlm are the only good internet movie critics

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

i feel like superhero movie people have the same brainworm a lot of gamers do. they want their favorite thing to be taken seriously as High Art but also, they absolutely do not want the critical standards that come with that designation applied either. its ridiculous

just constant flip flopping between ITS JUST A MOVIE/GAME DONT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY to WHY ARENT YOU TAKING IT SERIOUSLY?? ITS ART!! is loving insane lmfao

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

of the mcu movies (except the x-men ones, i think i've seen most of those) i only ever watched Black Panther, and i thought it sucked rear end!!

x men are usually pretty fun though, i liked days of future past but the dark phoenix one or whatever was god awful

It's awesome how the cia sold propaganda to American libs

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

is there a Carpenter Crew? i just want to have posting wars over whether MacReady was a thing.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

i feel like superhero movie people have the same brainworm a lot of gamers do. they want their favorite thing to be taken seriously as High Art but also, they absolutely do not want the critical standards that come with that designation applied either. its ridiculous

just constant flip flopping between ITS JUST A MOVIE/GAME DONT TAKE IT SERIOUSLY to WHY ARENT YOU TAKING IT SERIOUSLY?? ITS ART!! is loving insane lmfao

It's also the modern media culture where everyone looks at review scores to show they are right in some dumb internet argument. It is literally the poo poo I saw with GameFAQs about people bitching how an 8.5/10 means the game or the reviewer sucks and is a total failure.

You don't need to prove anything to other people. You can like dumb movies that don't mean anything.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

It's also the modern media culture where everyone looks at review scores to show they are right in some dumb internet argument. It is literally the poo poo I saw with GameFAQs about people bitching how an 8.5/10 means the game or the reviewer sucks and is a total failure.

You don't need to prove anything to other people. You can like dumb movies that don't mean anything.

people are still pissed at jeff gerstmann for giving twilight princess an 8 or whatever lmao

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Imagine portions of the internet getting into fights about how Friday the 13th, Part VI is a colossal disaster because Jason gets supernaturally resurrected and removes the seriousness of a horror franchise. There is probably a forum somewhere that has that poo poo but at least it doesn't come up in Youtube recommendations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

people are still pissed at jeff gerstmann for giving twilight princess an 8 or whatever lmao

Alternately, when the new Zelda reviewed really well a bunch of people got angry that 10/10 scores even exist (because there is no perfect game obv) so I guess you can't win either way.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
i blame grade inflation in american universities for making people think the only acceptable score for a video game is 9/10

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

vyelkin posted:

i blame grade inflation in american universities for making people think the only acceptable score for a video game is 9/10

It feels like a combination of people trolling nonstop on the forums and people trying to be all 'FACTS' about games they love/hate.

It's really funny to see 7/10 get pushed around as a 'C-' when every game review website indicates a 7 is either all around decent or a great game that is held back by significant flaws.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the lowest score i have ever seen in a video game review that was nt for big rigs over the road racing was 6/10 and the review accompanying it basically said "this game is awful and sucks" and then they were fired because the game was advertising heavily on the website where the review was published

anyway i probably misremembered like half of that but my point is, video game reviews cluster around 8 and 9 which means you end up trying to read the smoke signals of what the difference is between an 8.3 and an 8.4 instead of using the full 10-point scale

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Game reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt because gaming companies have a grip on journalists when it comes to offering giveaways and exclusive features like studio tours and bigwig interviews which means more revenue for the websites. It does honestly suck. The best journalists are the ones who had been around since the 90s and have been able to go independent, able to grow and step out before companies put them in a chokehold.

I wouldn't be surprised if some movie review websites get the same thing but also both media have obnoxious nerds that will yell about anything. Trust the old guard is what I say.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

game reviewers are a CIA op to make movie reviewers look smart

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Reading novels ....errrereaahhaaaajrpgsrrrrahfulata s
After reading Wittgenstein and getting deep into James Joyce, most novels just look sloppy.

which wittgenstein?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Trust no one.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Even better. Watch a movie. Think to yourself. Don't listen or read other opinions. It will truly be an opinion of your own.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
full disclosure the only game reviews ive read in years are the thumbs up/down comments on steam

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I wait for release day and watch some twitch streams. Not that that's a perfect system either, I still end up with some duds.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

how can i trick marvel stans into watching kore-eda's social realist films i need to get their takes a la 7 samurai

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Game reviews should always be taken with a grain of salt because gaming companies have a grip on journalists when it comes to offering giveaways and exclusive features like studio tours and bigwig interviews which means more revenue for the websites. It does honestly suck. The best journalists are the ones who had been around since the 90s and have been able to go independent, able to grow and step out before companies put them in a chokehold.

I wouldn't be surprised if some movie review websites get the same thing but also both media have obnoxious nerds that will yell about anything. Trust the old guard is what I say.

its also a completely dead industry whose sole reason for existing at this point is generating the metacritic score. pretty sure 99% of people just get their reviews from youtube or twitch personalities these days

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Youtube videos don't work tho because they can edit out stuff like awful load times.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

babypolis posted:

its also a completely dead industry whose sole reason for existing at this point is generating the metacritic score. pretty sure 99% of people just get their reviews from youtube or twitch personalities these days

Twitch feels more sincere. Youtube feels like more and more people like to exaggerate good things/bad things for bait. Twitch is not always perfect but you get a live feed of a game.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the biggest fault of marvel films is mediocre action scenes in their action movies.

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

Atrocious Joe posted:

the biggest fault of marvel films is mediocre action scenes in their action movies.

Aren't the fight scenes made like years before the rest of the movie?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Tim Rogers reviewing DMC5 as the Holy Grail of Trash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1IoIOjMqxQ

vyelkin posted:

the lowest score i have ever seen in a video game review that was nt for big rigs over the road racing was 6/10 and the review accompanying it basically said "this game is awful and sucks" and then they were fired because the game was advertising heavily on the website where the review was published

Jeff gurtsmann (founder of giant bomb, ) was fired from Game Stop (Edit Game pot. Game Game. Kotaku. Rollypollygon) by a inexperienced manager for his review of Kane & Lynch
Giant Bomb Cast on Fast and Furious
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHsgjNPm-Rc

Edit: there are too many loving stupid god drat loving video game websites. Where the gently caress did they come from? Why are there so many?

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 23:28 on May 27, 2021

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Smh at all the 'high vs low art' and 'it doesn't mean anything' platitudes, in the lefty poo poo posting forum of all places

shameful stuff

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

My movie diet is almost exclusively drive-in / straight-to-video exploitation and I've been in hog heaven since there's been such an active effort to remaster and preserve them these last few years - it sure beats the old standard of low fidelity VHS rips with warped audio and tracking problems

Last night I watched 1965's Mudhoney by Russ Meyer, the shocking motion picture that dares to ask the question "what if there were a bunch of horny inbred appalachians with substance problems?"

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

EGM lost Ubisoft advertising after EGM gave the first Assassin's Creed a "bad score" and said the game sucked.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Aren't the fight scenes made like years before the rest of the movie?

even better, the action scenes are directed by a completely independent second unit separate from the main director. when Marvel was trying to recruit Lucrecia Martel to direct Black Widow (which: magnum lol) they straight up said to her “its ok if you’re not comfortable shooting action, we have a whole team to handle that so you don’t have to”

this is on top of the CGI previz, which is done upwards of 4-5 years beforehand with no real involvement by the main director. in fact, so much of the average Marvel movie is directed by second unit and the CG supervisors that it’s arguable that the average advertised director has any legitimate claim to being THE director at all!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

josh04 posted:

game reviewers are a CIA op to make movie reviewers look smart
which wittgenstein?

I think Tractatus Logico broke me down and pounded my sentences to dirt.

I will never recover from that initial punch
I am fearful of failing to build brick like sentences now.

I sit around thinking, "how do you teach children to talk?"
How does that happen.

Roll the ball.
The kid could think the word 'roll' or 'the' is what the ball is called

But I am putting more time into Philosophical Investigation and On Certainty, because those works are more about reality.

How do I write words on a page, so that other people can get the meaning from them.

Philosophical Grammar has yet to be read.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

been a long while since i read it now but philosophical investigations slaps. has basically the opposite message from tractatus though, words are how they're used, explanations have an end somewhere, sometimes you just know it when you see it. language is just a series of overlapping games: there's a game you say "roll the ball" and the other person rolls the ball.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
the best marvel movie is thor ragnarok and it would have been ten times better if a year before it came out the advertising didn't give away what was clearly intended to be the movie's big twist moment

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

josh04 posted:

been a long while since i read it now but philosophical investigations slaps. has basically the opposite message from tractatus though, words are how they're used, explanations have an end somewhere, sometimes you just know it when you see it. language is just a series of overlapping games: there's a game you say "roll the ball" and the other person rolls the ball.

Yeah. Knowing that there are a lot games to be played by language, made it easier to hear people talk.

Quote:

334. Let yourself be struck by the existence of such a thing as our
language-game of confessing the motive of my action.

335. We don’t notice the enormous variety of all the everyday language-
games, because the clothing of our language makes them all alike.
What is new (spontaneous, ‘specific’) is always a language-game.

336. What is the difference between motive and cause? a How is the
motive discovered, and how the cause?

337. There is such a question as “Is this a reliable way of judging
people’s motives?” But in order to be able to ask this, we must already
know what “judging a motive” means; and we do not learn this by
finding out what ‘motive’ is and what ‘judging’ is. |225|

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Blood Boils posted:

Smh at all the 'high vs low art' and 'it doesn't mean anything' platitudes, in the lefty poo poo posting forum of all places

shameful stuff

leftism is doomed if it cannot tell trash from art

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
in the early 20th century, and this is not in any way a joke, one of the principal concerns of the Bolshevik Party was "how do we get Russians to stop reading trash pop culture and start reading Pravda instead"

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

vyelkin posted:

the best marvel movie is thor ragnarok and it would have been ten times better if a year before it came out the advertising didn't give away what was clearly intended to be the movie's big twist moment

Taika Waititi owns and is pretty much why I can't wait for Love and Thunder.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Thor Ragnarok was cool because it looked like the kind of airbrushed fantasy painting you'd see on the side of a chevy astro in the 80s, you know the ones where there's like an amazonian warrior lady wearing impractical armour carrying a flaming sword while she rides a pegasus into battle with a dragon in a nebula

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Movie trailers have been spoiling twists & endings since forever. Arnie being the good guy in T2 was supposed to be a huge surprise reveal but lmao. The trailer for Altman's The Long Goodbye spoils the literal final shot of the movie.