Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I started my first game of this after having it sit on my hard drive for months, and I dunno, right now it's leaving me a bit cold? I'm not sure this is an upgrade over CK2. Things that're bugging me so far:

- First and foremost, it's much harder to read anything! Why is the font size down? Why are the numbers on your character sheet so goddamn small? And the dark-on-dark color scheme is brutal on me, since I'm colorblind. The game doesn't seem to understand that colorblind people exist; all the trait icons are muddy and don't stand out. I could read the CK2 ones easier, even though they're smaller, because those were bright colors on a light background.
- Raising kids kinda sucks. I don't know why education focus is buried in one very small icon on the character portrait and the game doesn't ever bug you to pick one for your wards if you forget. And then so far at least the events seem super limited. I don't know if that's a function of playing as only two dudes so far and it's heavily weighted by your personality or what, but I've seen the event where a kid leaves the feast early and you have to choose either Impatient/Shy/Gluttonous like six times.
- Technology and learning new poo poo is super limited and maddeningly opaque. It's by culture now? And the only way to have any input at all is to pick one thing to be "interested" in? And you can't send a councilor off to somewhere more advanced to learn from them? What the christ is all this, is it supposed to be apparently impossible to unlock something as loving basic as primogeniture?

I guess the lifestyle focus skill trees are neat and Medieval Eugenics seems to have gotten some serious boosts with the Inherited Trait thing, but overall, this feels like it's either at parity with CK2 or a step backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Beerdeer posted:

I started a game last night as one of the small states in India. Kind of disappointed it's just like playing in Ireland except for having more religions around.

Same, but for tibetans. First ruler of Ü, converted to the reformed Bon religion, made it to the diplomacy option that gives you 25 extra points to vassalization. Died owning four different kingdom titles, did not even wage war once :confused:. At least each kid inherited a different kingdom, that probably will make the game a tad more interesting.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What bothers me about technology is being gated by specific dates and the good inheritances being available so late in the game. That sucks

Apart from that, theres some stuff I miss from CK2 too:
- the council
- individual laws instead of CA
- equipment & artifacts
- secret societies

Specially the first 2, it feels such a drawback compared to CK2

At the same time, everything else is much improved and the new stuff is all amazing. But I do miss those

edit: also miss having control over what parts of your army you want to raise
edit 2: also I didint play any non-chirstians non-feudals yet, Im sure CK3 is somewhat lacking at those too

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Elias_Maluco posted:

Oh god, yeah, the loving feudal contract. Like fun I'm gonna go talk to every single one of my vassals and either bribe or Hook 'em, why can't I just set a default?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The game is definitely an upgrade over CK2 in most respects imo, but a big problem is that while succession was a big deal in that era and often led to various crises, the game only really models this by locking you into partition-based succession for most of the game. And you can mostly sidestep it if you care to. I see what they're going for here, I think, but a largely monolithic model is not going to fit, much like how the game doesn't model non-feudal societies terribly well.

I still much prefer the tech system (and battles/armies) as opposed to the utter mess that was CK2's. There are some issues, sure, as I'm not a huge fan of the hard-era locks, but in general, I prefer this system.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
artifacts are comin' this next dlc. prolly some more of the council poo poo too

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Elias_Maluco posted:

What bothers me about technology is being gated by specific dates and the good inheritances being available so late in the game. That sucks

Apart from that, theres some stuff I miss from CK2 too:
- the council
- equipment & artifacts
- secret societies

Specially the first 2, it feels such a drawback compared to CK2

At the same time, everything else is much improved and the new stuff is all amazing. But I do miss those

edit: also miss having control over what parts of your army you want to raise
edit 2: also I didint play any non-chirstians non-feudals yet, Im sure CK3 is somewhat lacking at those too

Yeah I like that the game forces some sort of partition onto you, but I really dislike how gated and rigid it is. You should absolutely be able to pass on all or most of your estates to one chosen heir, and choose who gets what. If you hand everything to one heir it should piss off your vassals and other adult heirs something fierce though, and they should absolutely conspire against you if you've given them no lands or nothing to do. Also let me give my primary title away god damnit.

Lack of a council (though honestly CK2's Council system struck me as real bad) is particularly galling as well, as is the lack of a military service option for feudal rulers; I don't give a gently caress about your levies (and many parts of the world were too poorly monetized to support cash taxation), what I want is for you to pay for MaA and then come campaign with me. Would mesh real well with a better council system.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Double posting for hot Mongol action

I have strongly mixed feeling about this. One the one hand I finally got to see the Mongols actually show up for once, that's pretty great. On the other hand, they lost an independence war (which is how those Roman and Persian principalities broke free) and then failed at an re-invasion of the Persian states. Both losses occurred without any battles or the Mongols sieging anything down, I don't know if that's the regular AI not understanding to use it's siege weapons, or that it takes so long for them to walk their army over from Mongolia each time that they lose before getting there (in the Persian case they weren't even fighting any other wars). Neither possibility is any good.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
is there a reason sayyid doesn’t inherit matrilineally in game? light Wikipedia’ing says it can IRL

e: lmao i think i finally broke the family tree

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 25, 2021

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Raskolnikov38 posted:

is there a reason sayyid doesn’t inherit matrilineally in game? light Wikipedia’ing says it can IRL

e: lmao i think i finally broke the family tree

I don't think that's true. If it were I would be one

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quote:

According to Iran's religious leader and the Deobandi creed—a creed especially followed by patriarchal Pashtun tribes—the status of being a Sayyid can only be attributed through patrilineal lineage.[118][119] According to Shia opinions, children of a Sayyida mother and a non-Sayyid father are referred to as Mirza.[citation needed] The Persian notation "Mirza", which is a derivation of the word "Mirzada" (i.e., Son of a "Mir") has various meanings: one is a Sayyid leader of a Sayyid branch or community, simultaneously being a religious Islamic scholar. Thus, a Sayyid of patrilineal lineage, being the son of a Mir, can also be called "Mirza". This example substantiates the fact that there are different opinions concerning the transmission of the title Sayyid. Another historical opinion of Ottoman Naqib al Ashrafs expresses that children of maternal prophetical descent are called Sharif.[120]:131

However, in 1632 when an Ottoman court challenged a man wearing a Sayyid's green turban, he established that he was a Sayyid on his mother's side, which was accepted by the court.[120]:130

In patriarchal societies, women usually have to assimilate themselves into their husband's status. However, this does not affect female descendants of Muhammad as it is seen as a sacred blood relation. Thus, the heraldic title can be given to an individual through his or hers mother's line in accordance to Ottoman Naqib al-Ashrafs.[120] Even the Zaynabids, the descendants of Lady Zainab, the daughter of Ali ibn Abi Talib can also be titled Sayyid or Sharif, according to the Egyptian Al-Suyuti.[121] In Tajikistan matrilineal descendants are honoured.[122]

It is to be added that the supervision over the family of Bahauddin Naqshband and his descendants has been passed on through the maternal line. Hazrat Ishaan was a maternal descendant of Bahauddin Naqshband and his successor Sayyid Mir Jan was in turn again a descendant of Hazrat Ishaan from his mother's side. [123]

This indicates the possibility of even being a Mir or Naqib ul Ashraf from the mother's side.[124]

The requisits of it are the following:

Being able to trace his lineage back to Prophet Muhammad as ancestor
Being a Pious Muslim
Receiving the blessings of previous Naqib ul Ashraf, Mir or Sayyid ul Sadaat
Total affiliation as an Alid, meaning a son of Ali Ibn Abi Talib, hence neglecting any other affiliations
Being learned in Quran and Sunnah
Being a knowledgeable practicing Sufi
Noble and well-mannered character
For a Mir especially, being qualified as a leader

I mean I’d also take a Mirza/sharif trait but this makes it seem that it’s largely up to the legal scholar being asked

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on May 25, 2021

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

One feature I would like to see is to make it default that you get to pick which heir you play as when you die. If I have two kids and think that the younger one would be more interesting to play as, then I shouldn't have to manipulate my eldest into a monastery or an early grave to do so. (especially if I want to play out stabbing my way to the throne). And yes, switching characters is right there in the menu, but I think the option should be presented more up front.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

and people say this game lacks possiblities. my plan to let a thousand kwisatz haderaches bloom is going swimmingly. behold my lesbian islamic witch tsarina and the glory of the rurikid dynasty with its 3k family members and 189 cadet branches

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I mean I’d also take a Mirza/sharif trait but this makes it seem that it’s largely up to the legal scholar being asked

I mean I want it to be in there if only for the ridiculous prevalence it would achieve. If you allow tracing through the female line (personally I say it is ridiculous to do otherwise since the whole tree traces through Fatima in the first place), you very rapidly reach the point where just as - statistically speaking - everyone with a drop of European lineage is descended from Charlemagne, so too is every Muslim a Sayyid.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New Dev Diary - The Royal Court

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
This is so completely my poo poo. I love that this is like the old upgrades you could get for your house in the Republics DLC back in 2. I cannot wait.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
The Royal Court: Don't make eye contact

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Time to get the CFP guy to go all-in on new room upgrades. I want tapestries, more resplendent chests, bear rugs and more animal skulls for the wall.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
This reminds me of the civ 2. In a good way.

Now how can I get a bad Elvis impersonator as a cultural advisor on my council?

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

This reminds me of the civ 2. In a good way.

Now how can I get a bad Elvis impersonator as a cultural advisor on my council?

Was just thinking reading that of how CK is bringing a throne room back before Civ games do.

Hopefully this all will help address how dull empire level gameplay gets. My worry would be the AI won't handle this well and will just make it even harder for them to blob, hopefully not.

feldhase
Apr 27, 2011
Yeah this DLC is gonna be fun. Also 100% sets up a Byzantine flavour pack down the line

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man I just went to look at starting a game as a Norman in Sicily, and Norman's don't start with the Arched Saddle innovation you need for Armored Cav? Neither do the Saxons or Franconians? This fuckin' game man.

The more I look at it, the more the tech system is a mess. The system itself is fine, but all sorts of poo poo is time gated into the wrong period, plus it's not at all possible to catch up if your culture is behind. Really hope it gets some improvement with the culture rework.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Was think of playing the Prince of Darkness mod, that one that is the World of Darkness Vampire total conversion. Seems like it's still being regularly updated, which is nice. First off-- anyone have any opinions on it? Worth messing around with? Secondly, anyone know how nicely it plays with other mods?

PittTheElder posted:

The more I look at it, the more the tech system is a mess. The system itself is fine, but all sorts of poo poo is time gated into the wrong period, plus it's not at all possible to catch up if your culture is behind. Really hope it gets some improvement with the culture rework.

I don't know why but the tech system and it's ties to culture have always been by far my least favorite part of the game. It all mostly makes sense, excepting maybe the "turtle up your culture and get super-advanced tech" thing but I understand why they did that from a gameplay perspective. It just feels bad though. Wish I understood enough game design to be more analytical than that, but basically yeah, it's just a pretty un-fun system to interact with. I also feel like the culture revamp might be a place to make it a lot more interesting, so here's hoping.

Digital Osmosis fucked around with this message at 18:18 on May 27, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Oh yeah I haven't tried it either despite being a big WoD fan.

I think it's because of the lack of achievement, stupidly enough. They're good at motivating my brain to do stuff with these long simulation games.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
The tech system makes the most sense if you blob a big empire like Byzantium/Rome. As long as you are the culture head and have a massive base it plays more like a Civ game. But smaller cultures or leaders with no control over the direction aren’t fun and it essentially eliminates the tech tree from gameplay relevance.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The tech system makes the most sense if you blob a big empire like Byzantium/Rome. As long as you are the culture head and have a massive base it plays more like a Civ game. But smaller cultures or leaders with no control over the direction aren’t fun and it essentially eliminates the tech tree from gameplay relevance.

Small cultures are insanely good at teching! For example, you can run out of innovations to research as Bohemia, because you can raise average dev super high as a small culture. And for cultures with 0 counties like Frankish, Khitan, Songhai, Ashkenazi, and Sephardi, you can convert culture a single high dev province and tech insanely fast. It makes for some interesting tall gameplay.

Not being the culture head is super frustrating, I agree, especially if the culture head has low learning. Something the dlc will fix, I guess.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Idk I want more systems where I don’t always have direct control. I like the tech system, even if I think it needs more stuff to research generally. Playing small cultures and putting a lot of effort into development is fun and makes me think a bit more about just mass culture converting.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

scaterry posted:

Small cultures are insanely good at teching! For example, you can run out of innovations to research as Bohemia, because you can raise average dev super high as a small culture. And for cultures with 0 counties like Frankish, Khitan, Songhai, Ashkenazi, and Sephardi, you can convert culture a single high dev province and tech insanely fast. It makes for some interesting tall gameplay.

Not being the culture head is super frustrating, I agree, especially if the culture head has low learning. Something the dlc will fix, I guess.

Now there's an idea for my next game.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

scaterry posted:

...How do you become Frankish?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Lawman 0 posted:

...How do you become Frankish?

There are some Frankish characters around in 867. The only feudal rulers are the counts of Besançon, Monferrato, and Bologna.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

How do they determine things like that? Is there evidence that these local leaders still thought of themselves as Frankish instead of French?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

a fatguy baldspot posted:

How do they determine things like that? Is there evidence that these local leaders still thought of themselves as Frankish instead of French?

They just make crap up because it’s a game. It’s 867 dude.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
i don't thinki understand how Invade Kingdom works

I took over Brittany with Haestein and got all the counties but no new title! What!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Has the Kingdom title been created yet?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

How are u posted:

Has the Kingdom title been created yet?

Im pretty drat sure!

I shoulda asked this when i was still at home

It was 867 like two months after game start when i started the war against Brittany

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Did you already have the kingdom title?

If you invade kingdom against a kingdom you already own, you'll just conquer the rest of its de jure lands held by someone.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

verbal enema posted:

Im pretty drat sure!

I shoulda asked this when i was still at home

It was 867 like two months after game start when i started the war against Brittany

If the title has been created and the title holder is at war, you won't get the prompt to usurp it until they're not at war, when you can.

If they get unlanded, you should have it under your list of titles you can create.

ALTERNATELY:
Have you created the duchy yet?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SlothBear posted:

Did you already have the kingdom title?

If you invade kingdom against a kingdom you already own, you'll just conquer the rest of its de jure lands held by someone.

nah i was a count! Now im a 5 county count!

I have not created the duchy yet

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 29, 2021

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012
CBs usually won’t increase your title rank. So an invade kingdom cb as a count will only give you county level titles. If you had higher rank, you would get the higher ranked titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

scaterry posted:

CBs usually won’t increase your title rank. So an invade kingdom cb as a count will only give you county level titles. If you had higher rank, you would get the higher ranked titles.

I should have invaded France!!!