Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Keru posted:

Honestly, that ending was just so good, even if I've been grumbling about things leading here, that was a really good ending.

I think intellectually I like the Molly Stays dead ending more. As I tend to gravitate towards bittersweet endings.

But Tal rolling a 2 to save his own old character is just loving sensational peak D&D dice deciding the story bullshit, as a counter to Matt's rolling a 1 on a check with a DC of loving 5 bullshit(if only Tal rolled a 9 lmao).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Long May He Reign

You know, I kind of hope they do the poetic thing and have the characters split off in roughly the opposite order they came into the story on the first episode. Cadeuceus probably bids them farewell in the grove. Then probably Molly / Yasha Beau leave together, then Fjord and Jester split off their way, and we close on Caleb and Veth.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:46 on May 28, 2021

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/matthewmercer/status/1398167229460410369

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Everyone is forgetting the best part: they’ll want to inform some people next week of their victory... and we all know what that means. Hilarity, 25 words at a time.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

My money is on a 6 hour episode.

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Hopefully it involves a trip to Emon to give Alura/Kima their poo poo back and we get an answer to the real question of the campaign

Who the gently caress is on the Tal'Dorei council?!

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
I love the Dice Gods. That was a good ending.

But holy poo poo was that encounter brutal. If not for Jester Banish, Cad Death Ward, and a clutch roll it all goes pear shaped.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Completely insane. I don't have the words. Oh poo poo it's a quarter to 3 I need sleep.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Trast posted:

I love the Dice Gods. That was a good ending.

But holy poo poo was that encounter brutal. If not for Jester Banish, Cad Death Ward, and a clutch roll it all goes pear shaped.

Also 3 successive successful Mirror image rolls lmao.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I feel for all the people waking up now and going to check the thread before they sit down to watch the show (or are waiting for when it comes on Youtube next week)

(Yes I went back to check how many new posts since the show started 4:48 hours ago)

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

That was a drat near perfectly tuned encounter assuming he didn't fudge numbers behind the scenes.

Because with Veth MCed and Caleb down, their Action economy was hosed, and they were at most like 2 rounds from wiping.

Veth pumping sneak attacks into Beau, and Yasha(well she's sorta immortal, but she would have eventually gotten 9 eyes lol or MCed herself).

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
So, did Tal do-deca-heal himself this game?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's now the #1 trending topic in the US on Twitter lol

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I am still in the process of losing my mind

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Would changing the thread title to long may he reign be bad form for spoilers?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Dexo posted:

Would changing the thread title to long may he reign be bad form for spoilers?

Probs best to wait till a few days after it hits youtube for the people who can't watch live

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Ffffffffuck. I just got the 'Empty' thing.

M.
T.

goddammit, taliesin.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Keru posted:

Ffffffffuck. I just got the 'Empty' thing.

M.
T.

goddammit, taliesin.
C3: New Vegas confirmed

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Truth is, kid, the game was rigged from the start. *rolls 02*

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/TriaElf9/status/1352262174442463232

lmao that bullshit Tarot Reading

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Dear lord, please do not let Liam play another emo character in C3.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Raged posted:

Dear lord, please do not let Liam play another emo character in C3.

Dragonlance. Make Liam be a Kender bard. And Sam can be one of those crazy inventor gnomes doing Matt's Victor voice.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

saw this at random and lol i forgot that this dude owes them another pretty big favor

https://twitter.com/V762cas/status/1398069609769492480

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
You know, having slept (kind of) since last night, man I still got that finale on my mind. What a great final boss and the dramatic stakes both during and afterward were amazing. I may have complained a lot about the back third of this campaign, but man what a note to go out on. The Mighty Nein leaves the rapidly decaying husk of Cognouza with the ninth member. That whole resurrection ritual was just as much of a nailbiter as the fight with Lucien was.

I'm genuinely curious what sort of note they go out on. I wonder if they do Veth's body-shaping ritual on Essek so he's able to go underground.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

I also was in favor of the “Molly stays dead” angle, but goddamn it’s hard to argue with what happened. Absolutely top-tier D&D, the most incredible “you couldn’t write this, no one would believe it” bullshit possible.

While I had been somewhat critical of the buildup, that was a hell of a finale, and I’m eager to see where our epilogue episode takes us.

Critical Role, man. Critical loving Role.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

TotalHell posted:

I also was in favor of the “Molly stays dead” angle, but goddamn it’s hard to argue with what happened. Absolutely top-tier D&D, the most incredible “you couldn’t write this, no one would believe it” bullshit possible.

While I had been somewhat critical of the buildup, that was a hell of a finale, and I’m eager to see where our epilogue episode takes us.

Critical Role, man. Critical loving Role.

I'm genuinely curious how much of his experience Molly will remember once he's gotten a handle of being in control of his own facilities again. If I had to guess Tallesin and Matt probably had to have a pretty lengthy one-on-one between this episode and the next to work out Molly's headspace and what being a passenger in a body that isn't his would be like and what it would of done to his psyche.

Also Tallesin needs to re-up himself on Molly's Accent :v:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Molly stays dead, Molly returns... the fact that Tal was the one who made the final decision was perfect.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I'm glad matt open rolled those res rolls. Open rolling is fun and should be embraced more

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
That was an absolutely stellar final boss fight. It seemed overwhelming and impossible, but bit by bit the players slowly figured out how to do extra damage and cripple his legendary actions - they also avoided attacking his legendary resistances so that wasn't part of the equation. The minions could do big damage and had nasty CC affects, but weren't too hearty and focused efforts brought them down, limiting Lucien's options. The lair actions were both interesting and not too overwhelming. The stress of adding the eyes contributed to the tension of the fight, but it didn't feel like bullshit and even though nobody got to 9 eyes, it was always a threat in the back of their minds. It was dangerous (poo poo, 2 of them died during the battle itself), but never felt unfair.

Matt's gotten a lot better at these kinds of fights and it only makes me that much more excited to see what he comes up with in the future.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Pinwiz11 posted:

Molly stays dead, Molly returns... the fact that Tal was the one who made the final decision was perfect.

When Tal first rolled the divine intervention, I thought he was going to do the Scanlan thing and let the crew have their last words with Molly. When I realized he was going to actually bring him back my jaw dropped.

Edit: Anyone have any particular hopes for Campaign 3? I'm hoping we get a full blooded paladin, a melee ranger, and that they get weird with the class archetypes playing something new and/or weird like a Djinn pact warlock or a Spore Druid.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 28, 2021

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
That reversal was so perfect because you got to see both the failure and success, like picking different branches of a story in a videogame or CYoA game book. The party got to express their grief, but having to accept it. You had Essek frustrated and disappointed, and Fjord really speaking as a Paladin of the Wildmother, Caduceus talking about how how he'd give Molly a good burial in the Blooming Grove, and some other moments I can't recall right now, but they were good, and then there was the "Golden Ending".

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:48 on May 28, 2021

FlavoFibe
Nov 9, 2015
Holy poo poo what a session. Caduceus continues to be my favorite

DeathSandwich posted:

Edit: Anyone have any particular hopes for Campaign 3? I'm hoping we get a full blooded paladin, a melee ranger, and that they get weird with the class archetypes playing something new and/or weird like a Djinn pact warlock or a Spore Druid.

I'd like to see Liam as a straight up fighter or barbarian, if only to fulfill the fighter/wizard/rogue archetype trifecta.

Other than that I'm just excited with what they come up with next.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
Predictions: the Trent plot line will be resolved in the next session and no combat will be associated with that. It's really the perfect ending, anyway: Trent desperately wants his student, Caleb, to murder him and take his place, and would see that as an exoneration of his entire philosophy: he created Caleb, he made Caleb strong, and Caleb used that strong will to defeat the man who trained him.

Instead, I predict the following: The Cobalt Soul and the king were already looking into the Cerberus Assembly when the M9 caused a massive incident at the Vergesson Sanatorium, followed rapidly by Trent causing a diplomatic incident in Nicodranas by breaking into Yussa's tower. Now that Yussa has returned, I imagine he'd have taken immediate action against Trent himself, most likely through his more diplomatically/politically-inclined friends.

The result is likely to be a royal inquest held by King Bertrand, with Yussa represented by Lady Allura. She invites the M9 to attend if the king doesn't command them. Caleb gets his chance to give a speech; Eadwulf and Astrid turn on Trent; Ludinas opts to preserve the Assembly by loading as much blame onto Trent as possible.

Unable to strike back magically, Trent tries to take Essek down and the M9 have to decide how to respond. Ludinas then offers Caleb Trent's position in the Assembly.

The aftermath of that triggers working out the fates of others among the M9. Beau may get put in charge of the ongoing investigation into the Assembly. Caduceus will obviously return home. Yasha stays with Beau. Caleb teleports the others (or everyone, perhaps) back to Zadash. Fjord and Jester pair off after seeing how the Parent Trap worked, perhaps with the intent of helping the Gentleman to go legit (or legit-ish... this is Jester, after all), and we conclude with Caleb watching as Veth is reunited with her family again. Caleb turns to go and Sam gets to deliver a short speech about how he's part of her family, too.

Big unknowns: Essek's fate and disposition; what will happen with Molly and whether he'll stay with someone as he recovers, or recovers enough to insist on going off to try to correct some of the wrongs Lucien committed; Eadwulf and Astrid's final dispositions; how Pumat ends up appearing in the final episode (Pumat will most likely replace Vess DeRogna as Archmage of Antiquity, which will perhaps end the phenomenon of "this post is for villains."). Lots of small and big PC decisions that could cause big changes to the outcome, like convincing Essek to accompany them to Rexxentrum.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Narsham posted:

Predictions: the Trent plot line will be resolved in the next session and no combat will be associated with that. It's really the perfect ending, anyway: Trent desperately wants his student, Caleb, to murder him and take his place, and would see that as an exoneration of his entire philosophy: he created Caleb, he made Caleb strong, and Caleb used that strong will to defeat the man who trained him.

Instead, I predict the following: The Cobalt Soul and the king were already looking into the Cerberus Assembly when the M9 caused a massive incident at the Vergesson Sanatorium, followed rapidly by Trent causing a diplomatic incident in Nicodranas by breaking into Yussa's tower. Now that Yussa has returned, I imagine he'd have taken immediate action against Trent himself, most likely through his more diplomatically/politically-inclined friends.

The result is likely to be a royal inquest held by King Bertrand, with Yussa represented by Lady Allura. She invites the M9 to attend if the king doesn't command them. Caleb gets his chance to give a speech; Eadwulf and Astrid turn on Trent; Ludinas opts to preserve the Assembly by loading as much blame onto Trent as possible.

Unable to strike back magically, Trent tries to take Essek down and the M9 have to decide how to respond. Ludinas then offers Caleb Trent's position in the Assembly.

The aftermath of that triggers working out the fates of others among the M9. Beau may get put in charge of the ongoing investigation into the Assembly. Caduceus will obviously return home. Yasha stays with Beau. Caleb teleports the others (or everyone, perhaps) back to Zadash. Fjord and Jester pair off after seeing how the Parent Trap worked, perhaps with the intent of helping the Gentleman to go legit (or legit-ish... this is Jester, after all), and we conclude with Caleb watching as Veth is reunited with her family again. Caleb turns to go and Sam gets to deliver a short speech about how he's part of her family, too.

Big unknowns: Essek's fate and disposition; what will happen with Molly and whether he'll stay with someone as he recovers, or recovers enough to insist on going off to try to correct some of the wrongs Lucien committed; Eadwulf and Astrid's final dispositions; how Pumat ends up appearing in the final episode (Pumat will most likely replace Vess DeRogna as Archmage of Antiquity, which will perhaps end the phenomenon of "this post is for villains."). Lots of small and big PC decisions that could cause big changes to the outcome, like convincing Essek to accompany them to Rexxentrum.

My money is on Essek using the body reshaping ritual that turned Nott back into a halfling, changing who he is and basically going full "Witness protection" with a new life and starting over again, using his powers to do better for the people around him.

Yeah, it makes sense that Trent gets got after his little run in Nicodranas. He already had heat on him before he caused a full on diplomatic incident.

I'm guessing Molly either tries to stay with Yasha, or he forms his own circus and goes his own direction.

There's no way Fjord and Jester don't go after Fjords old captain.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

FlavoFibe posted:

Holy poo poo what a session. Caduceus continues to be my favorite
I'd like to see Liam as a straight up fighter or barbarian, if only to fulfill the fighter/wizard/rogue archetype trifecta.

Other than that I'm just excited with what they come up with next.

But if Liam isn't a glass cannon, how will he dramatically die in the climactic fight??

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Guess Tal can play Molly again in C3 :v:

Next episode is going to be like the end of the extended Return of the King but for 6 hours and I can't wait for it! :byodood:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah I agree, Trent (and what Essek will do) is the main plot that must be wrapped up, most of the other threads can be comfortably left to simmer

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

Don't worry, Travis will find some way to get his hands on a Deck of Many Things for the epilogue episode.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

eke out posted:

yeah I agree, Trent (and what Essek will do) is the main plot that must be wrapped up, most of the other threads can be comfortably left to simmer

Molly's memory finally coming back and the group getting together to do something after this happens is good one-shot fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mage_Boy posted:

Molly's memory finally coming back and the group getting together to do something after this happens is good one-shot fodder.

yeah like there should definitely be a Dealing With Sabian one shot

or, alternatively, make the epilogue just have some jump cuts forward in time