Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Which is why we will continue to embrace them as we slowly boil ourselves alive

What else are we supposed to do with all this free money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Elman posted:

What else are we supposed to do with all this free money?

Buy a bigger boat

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's a new crypto fad in town

https://twitter.com/rbranson/status/1397598281975230464

This time we trade GPU cycles for Storage space!

Good luck getting an SSD at a good price.

Who would have thought that the tech bubble would burst because crypto made procuring basic computer parts prohibitively expensive.

Next up, Proof of Bandwidth, Proof of Screen Resolution, Proof of Latency, Proof of Posting

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

China is apparently moving to ban crypto mining in general, which they haven't done before.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Beelzebufo posted:

China is apparently moving to ban crypto mining in general, which they haven't done before.

This is good for bitcoin because all the Chinese coins will either be sold in a hurry, allowing others to buy coins on the cheap or destroyed entirely, increasing the value of the coins in the bitcoiners' own pocket. Also good for bitcoin because now non-Chinese miners will have less competition and there's no more risk of China pooling their miners for the dreaded 51% attack.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

adoration for none posted:

Proof of Bandwidth

I unironically hope this drives infrastructure improvemahahahaha... nope couldn't do it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Who would have thought that the tech bubble would burst because crypto made procuring basic computer parts prohibitively expensive.

Next up, Proof of Bandwidth, Proof of Screen Resolution, Proof of Latency, Proof of Posting
Just cut to the chase and make it Proof of Power Consumption

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

TACD posted:

Just cut to the chase and make it Proof of Power Consumption

:vince:

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
The rogue superintelligence that ends the world won't be a stamp maker AI, it'll be a blockchain mining AI that converts the entire Earth into energy for mining

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The rogue superintelligence that ends the world won't be a stamp maker AI, it'll be a blockchain mining AI that converts the entire Earth into energy for mining

Holy poo poo, so that's how Unicron happened...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

There's a new crypto fad in town

https://twitter.com/rbranson/status/1397598281975230464

This time we trade GPU cycles for Storage space!

Good luck getting an SSD at a good price.

OK, so I looked up global data storage capacity, and the estimate seems to be somewhere around 6-7000 exabytes. This thing is already using about 1/600th of all the disk extant in the world, growing exponentially, and burning through those disks within a month or two.

Edit: also it sounds like their schtick is that they're less energy-intensive than bitcoin. At something like 1W/TB, that's 12 MW. Sure that's 1000X less than BitCoin's 15GW, but it still isn't great.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 06:11 on May 28, 2021

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

So is it just repeated reads that wrecks SSDs? Or is it that Chia requires you constantly re-write the data with new lottery tickets?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I think they have to use SSDs as working memory because the dataset is too big for DRAM.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

They write the plots on the ssd for speed then move it to HDDs for storage where it's randomly checked like a data centre full of bingo cards for the winning hash.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Proof of Bingo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Beelzebufo posted:

China's banned crypto and a lot of things on paper before, enforcement is the issue.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

doesn't crypto have a huge electricy consumption? they might not be able to catch hobbyists but it shouldn't be hard to catch large scale mining ops just by measuring the grid

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Stexils posted:

doesn't crypto have a huge electricy consumption? they might not be able to catch hobbyists but it shouldn't be hard to catch large scale mining ops just by measuring the grid

They're literally buying powerplants:
https://twitter.com/ClimateNexus/status/1382069830128373768?s=20

They are the grid.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Instead of carbon dioxide, Chia produces vast quantities of e-waste—rare metals, assembled into expensive computing components, turned into toxic near-unrecyclable landfill within weeks. Cohen has tweeted that the claim that Chia destroys disks is mostly “just plain wrong”—though he ends the tweet thread by effectively admitting that it’s true but blames users for using “consumer SSD,” even though Chia’s own FAQ states that it can be run on mobile phones or laptops.

very normal business

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

They are the grid.

I think back to the early days of the Bitcoin thread when we laughed at the Bitcoin proponents who would talk about ideas like Bitcoin satellites, because the ideas were so absurd.

Turns out that weren't so much wrong as that we had way too much faith in the world to not go that absurd.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The next big trend is going to be retro with Proof of Proof, where miners will add sourdough starter and small batch moonshine to the blockchain.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Watch the price of corn and copper tubing loving skyrocket.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mister Facetious posted:

They are the grid.

At this rate soon miners as in literal people employed at mines will have little extra power cables running from all of their machinery/equipment to contribute to the chain.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

I'm hoping this:

https://www.lawfareblog.com/ransomware-problem-bitcoin-problem

will be what really starts to degrade bitcoin. Now it's a strategic concern.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Stexils posted:

The future is already here! Police find bitcoin mine using stolen electricity in West Midlands:

quote:

Police have discovered a cryptocurrency operation that used stolen electricity to mine bitcoin in the West Midlands.

Officers from West Midlands police raided a building in an industrial estate on 18 May expecting to find a cannabis farm, but instead stumbled upon the cryptocurrency scheme. No arrests have been made.

West Midlands police said they had been tipped off to the possible existence of a cannabis farm because of reports of people visiting the industrial unit at all times of day. A police drone flown overhead “picked up a considerable heat source”, usually associated with heaters used to help cannabis plants grow, the force said.

Pictures of the mine released by police showed rows of computers wired together with fans attached to large ventilation ducts. There were about 100 computer units in total.

Mining bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies is not illegal in the UK. However, the police said the mining operation was found to be stealing thousands of pounds worth of electricity from the mains supply after inquiries to Western Power, the network operator.

Jennifer Griffin, a Sandwell police sergeant, said the find was “certainly not what we were expecting”.

“It had all the hallmarks of a cannabis cultivation setup and I believe it’s only the second such crypto mine we’ve encountered in the West Midlands,” she said.

“We’ve seized the equipment and will be looking into permanently seizing it under the Proceeds of Crime Act. No one was at the unit at the time of the warrant and no arrests have been made – but we’ll be making enquiries with the unit’s owner.”

The images of the badass mining rigs are well worth a click (there's some leeching protection and I'm too lazy to re-host them).

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

At this rate soon miners as in literal people employed at mines will have little extra power cables running from all of their machinery/equipment to contribute to the chain.

All those pods in the Matrix were so humans could process Bitcoin transactions between French and Russian AIs... :tinfoil:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

https://twitter.com/mikarv/status/1397803182605180929

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

broke: putting on makeup to feel more professional working from home

woke: putting on joker facepaint so the boss algorithm thinks you’re happy and attentive

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

eXXon posted:

The future is already here! Police find bitcoin mine using stolen electricity in West Midlands:
The images of the badass mining rigs are well worth a click (there's some leeching protection and I'm too lazy to re-host them).

The most criminal thing here is the sloppy cable management!

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1398266757924667397

Didn't the same thing happen a while ago when they found US bases in Afghnistan and or Iraq because of fitbit location data?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
man remember when we banned furbies.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://twitter.com/bellingcat/status/1398266757924667397

Didn't the same thing happen a while ago when they found US bases in Afghnistan and or Iraq because of fitbit location data?

If that many soldiers know these facts, I can't imagine they're all that secret to people that would want to know.

Same for base locations in Afghanistan, I can't imagine the Taliban had to rely on Fitbit data to know where they are located.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/hiltzikm/status/1398256545926828042

:shockedpikachu:

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Fame Douglas posted:

If that many soldiers know these facts, I can't imagine they're all that secret to people that would want to know.

Same for base locations in Afghanistan, I can't imagine the Taliban had to rely on Fitbit data to know where they are located.

It's all about the details for this sort of thing. The military has had a variety of issues with soldiers live-streaming their wars, and I'm sure it'll only get more problematic over time.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

quote:

But when California codified labor rules to mandate that such workers receive all the benefits of employees, Uber, Lyft and other gig companies drafted Proposition 22 to exempt their drivers, delivery workers and others from the employment rules and allow them to be classified as independent contractors.

Following a campaign in which the companies spent more than $200 million, a national record for a ballot measure, Proposition 22 passed with nearly 60% of the vote.

“A huge part of their Prop. 22 campaign was to get the drivers on their side,”

Drivers voting for Prop 22: :suicide:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

https://twitter.com/dril/status/841892608788041732

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

\o/ - "McDonald's!"

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i thought awkward nerds (being one myself) would be the first to understand how hosed up it is for programs read your every movement and facial tic and decide things about you because of them

but they haven't understood it at all and they keep making them. what problems are they trying to solve here?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Management wants metrics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

nishi koichi posted:

what problems are they trying to solve here?

Being paid by their employer