Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

teh_Broseph posted:

Is there a not too involved way to do the art thing with a CC? I mainly use a Shield for stuff now and I thought for sure it'd be pretty easy to set up a screensaver like the Frame art on one of those but I did some digging around and gave up.

It's called Ambient Mode on CC's. It's very painless:

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6080931?hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ok, thanks for the videophile lectures but let's assume that when I said I know it's overpriced for the panel I in fact already know that.

A nice gently caress off OLED will go in the rumpus room when that's done in the next couple of years, but for this room right now the main consideration was wanting something that fits as flush as possible to the wall.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Finally managed to get a PS5, so decided to stump for a new TV as my current one doesn't have HDR. Went for the LG CX and then got immediately anxious that my AV amp wouldn't play nice with it so I'm now waiting on an eARC converter thing to arrive. AND I've got to calibrate the TV??

Why is buying a new television so exceptionally stressful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, I did discover one nice pro to the AppleTV. If I leave it in 4k (23.976fps) mode, it will still switch to the proper framerate and content for apps that support switching. UI is still laggy doing that, but if I'm hitting content heavy in apps that don't support auto switching, at least I don't have to fiddle with the settings if I want to watch something from netflix or other apps that do. If Hulu managed to actually start supporting 5.1 on this thing, then I could in theory use it for the only streaming device.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Flint_Paper posted:

Why is buying a new television so exceptionally stressful.

It definitely feels like there are more settings and compatibility concerns now than ever before. It doesn't help that each manufacturer feels the need to give standard features their own special little name. Just call it "black frame insertion" because names like "Clear Motion Plus" just muddy the waters.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Lol getting mad for people telling you you're wasting money because you want Absolute Zero Wall Flatness and forgetting about the LG GX.

Getting The Frame and asking for reference material is like buying a Chevy Spark and asking where you can really open 'er up. :lol:

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

but for this room right now the main consideration was wanting something that fits as flush as possible to the wall.

The you should have gotten lg wx or g1

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Ugh my audio clicking issue with the TCL 6 series on AirPlay is so annoying. Using Bluetooth with my soundbar has noticeably worse audio quality, so i want to use AirPlay, but the soundbar doesn't support it directly.

So, the only fix for it besides getting a new TV would be getting something like an Apple TV 4K. Which is not cheap.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Costco has the 75" Sony XBR75X90CH on deep discount. Currently $1299.99 , sold out online but same price in local stores that have inventory.
https://www.costco.com/sony-75%22-class---x90ch-series---4k-uhd-led-lcd-tv.product.100657323.html

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikusR posted:

The you should have gotten lg wx or g1

Would have only cost 50% more as well.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

An excellent long-term investment.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Senor Tron posted:

Would have only cost 50% more as well.

"main consideration was wanting something that fits as flush as possible to the wall."

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Dude just really wanted to justify buying the dumb frame tv.

One of my buddies bought it and it just displays this awesome family photo they took. That's it. It's ridiculously extravagant and I give him props for leaning into it.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

It's not too TV related, but I wanted to pick up a Sonos One SL, the smallest non-crappy Sonos, and I can't get one 'til July. Is supply chain screwed up in this area or what, and are TVs affected?

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Dude just really wanted to justify buying the dumb frame tv.

They wanted the frame tv and they bought the frame tv. It’s justified.

I don’t know if it makes you feel good to harp on somebody because they have different television priorities than you, but it makes you look like a self-centered insecure rear end in a top hat.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Self centered rear end in a top hat sure, but insecure? :xd:

Honestly there was a decent conversation about just what the demo for the Frame was and then the poster came back with
"Ok, thanks for the videophile lectures but let's assume that when I said I know it's overpriced for the panel I in fact already know that."

So yeah, they deserved some ribbing.

How many The Frame did you buy for your condo, TK?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

tk posted:

I don’t know if it makes you feel good to harp on somebody because they have different television priorities than you, but it makes you look like a self-centered insecure rear end in a top hat.
the point of this thread is to discuss what is the best television to buy, so if you come in here waving your dick about buying a dumb tv, you can't get all huffy if you get dunked for it

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikusR posted:

"main consideration was wanting something that fits as flush as possible to the wall."

Yes and in the real world that also includes budget constraints.

I'm not here looking to debate the tv purchase, for what we wanted it ticked the most boxes, for other people they might want something different.

It was simply a question of what to watch to see the jump from a 12 year old 1080p screen to a modern 4k/high refresh rate one.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

e: nevermind

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

FilthyImp posted:

Self centered rear end in a top hat sure, but insecure? :xd:

Honestly there was a decent conversation about just what the demo for the Frame was and then the poster came back with
"Ok, thanks for the videophile lectures but let's assume that when I said I know it's overpriced for the panel I in fact already know that."

So yeah, they deserved some ribbing.

How many The Frame did you buy for your condo, TK?

Yeah, I’m going to double down on that insecure thing.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

the point of this thread is to discuss what is the best television to buy, so if you come in here waving your dick about buying a dumb tv, you can't get all huffy if you get dunked for it

Sounds like the dumb tv was the best television to buy for this scenario? And lol at characterizing that response as huffy.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Why you all ragging on a guy for buying the tv they wanted

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Aidan_702 posted:

thank you for flying the something awful forums

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inner Light posted:

It's not too TV related, but I wanted to pick up a Sonos One SL, the smallest non-crappy Sonos, and I can't get one 'til July. Is supply chain screwed up in this area or what, and are TVs affected?

Basically anything that has a microprocessor or even just a WiFi chip is impacted and supply is constrained

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

FilthyImp posted:

Lol getting mad for people telling you you're wasting money because you want Absolute Zero Wall Flatness and forgetting about the LG GX.

Getting The Frame and asking for reference material is like buying a Chevy Spark and asking where you can really open 'er up. :lol:

Do LG pay you to defend their consumer electronics on the Internet or are you just a weird insufferable manchild who puts way too much weight on which expensive TV people choose to buy?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Butterfly Valley posted:

Do LG pay you to defend their consumer electronics on the Internet or are you just a weird insufferable manchild who puts way too much weight on which expensive TV people choose to buy?

It's SA - we rib people for weird choices. The guy mentions he's *going* to get an OLED later but for now he needed a flush mounted TV.

Instead of going for an OLED (which, btw, offers flush mounting capabilities just like the Frame) he went for the notoriously over-priced underperforming TV that suckers people into buying it and THEN having to subscribe to the service they bought it for (art).

It's just fun to poke fun at people that buy the Frame. Like, I don't really care... it'll be fine. It's just fun to josh around.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
I very much disagree and think this thread is extremely weird about OLEDs and how much owning one apparently defines your personality. Obviously they're an excellent choice for most people who can afford them. People who don't buy them don't deserve to be smugly pilloried for asking a simple question of the TV thread.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The thread is fine with not buying OLEDs, it's the spending the same amount of money or more for a TV of same size that's not an OLED where the eyebrow raising happens.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

bull3964 posted:

The thread is fine with not buying OLEDs, it's the spending the same amount of money or more for a TV of same size that's not an OLED where the eyebrow raising happens.
Then you need to grow the gently caress up.

There are people out there buying frame TVs even though they know an oled has superior picture quality. Can you think of any reason that somebody would do that?

BonoMan posted:

It's SA - we rib people for weird choices. The guy mentions he's *going* to get an OLED later but for now he needed a flush mounted TV.

Are you really going to call FilthyImp’s posting a “ribbing”?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thom Yorke raps
Nov 2, 2004

Aidan_702 posted:

new thread title?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Butterfly Valley posted:

Yes, I'm more OLED than man now :eyepop:

Look, if you come in complaining about a half-page derail being "videophile" lecturing and then Karen up the place with "I know I overpaid for an average TV" don't get your panties in a bunch when people point out you could have overpaid for a better product with the exact criteria you were looking for :colbert:

The same poo poo happens in the Used Car recc thread. It happens in the other building/buying recommendation threads. Get over it.

E: as far as I can tell, the 2020 version of Frame *still* doesn't have FALD, or any local dimming at all, so the poster's request for reference material for the set is even more confounding.

tk posted:

Can you think of any reason that somebody would do that?
More money than sense or an insane premium on aesthetics. Which, ok, cool.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 29, 2021

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tk posted:

Are you really going to call FilthyImp’s posting a “ribbing”?

Yes. You are really overreacting.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

More money than sense or an insane premium on aesthetics. Which, ok, cool.

some of us just want a yellow iMac okay

;)

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Yes. You are really overreacting.

Nah, I’m not. This isn’t Something Awful 2004. Calling people insane because you’re too small minded to consider other perspectives isn’t good natured-ribbing. It’s being an rear end in a top hat, and it’s exhausting to read.

FilthyImp posted:

The same poo poo happens in the Used Car recc thread. It happens in the other building/buying recommendation threads.

Then go gently caress off to the used car thread. There has been plenty of reasonable discussion on the topic, but none of it is coming from you.

People buy those frame TVs because it’s a good product that appeals to their needs. They didn’t make a bad decision. They aren’t stupid or insane.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

tk posted:

Nah, I’m not. This isn’t Something Awful 2004. Calling people insane because you’re too small minded to consider other perspectives isn’t good natured-ribbing. It’s being an rear end in a top hat, and it’s exhausting to read.
Then go gently caress off to the used car thread. There has been plenty of reasonable discussion on the topic, but none of it is coming from you.

People buy those frame TVs because it’s a good product that appeals to their needs. They didn’t make a bad decision. They aren’t stupid or insane.

Frame purchaser spotted.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

BonoMan posted:

Frame purchaser spotted.

Grow up. A television isn’t a reason to put somebody down.

I don’t own a frame. I own a C9 and a CX. But to be honest I would give either of them up for 4K + Plasma caliber motion. I merely think that attacking people because you’re unwilling to understand their opinion is obnoxious, boorish, and has no place here.

tk fucked around with this message at 01:00 on May 30, 2021

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Just lmfao at getting angry over someone else’s TV purchase.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm not an IYG mod, but it would be cool if we moved on. If you don't like reading someone's posts and they aren't beyond the pale or somehow derailing the entire thread, that's what the ignore button is for.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Residency Evil posted:

Just lmfao at getting angry over someone else’s TV purchase.

Oddly the only person getting angry is TK and not the original poster or critics. The op came in literally saying they know they purchased an overpriced and underperforming TV. So they got poked fun of for it. tK just taking it way personally for some reason.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I like the guy who hadn't posted here in 6 months acting as tone police and gatekeeper.

This Snapfish did make me wonder what effect the semiconductor shortage is going to have on the 22 and 23 generations of TVs though.

And kind of tangential to everything but people apparently loving love the miniLED ipads that just came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

But they are crying about blooming which of course they have blooming as any local dimming display will have.