Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Norton emails I've been getting use weird non-English versions of English letters.

Unicode is a gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Midjack posted:

Unicode is a gently caress.

Born to send
Unicode is a gently caress
Kill em all 1978
I am mail man
410,757,864,530 DISTINCT CHARACTERS

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Here's a new twist on an old one. Received this in my inbox this morning. Nothing was changed/deleted:

Stifft, Frank <f.stifft@zuyderland.nl>

12:31 AM (6 hours ago)

to info@ronforrun.com.biz

Mr. & Mrs. Patrick and Frances Connolly has nominated you for three million, five hundred British pounds for you to help the less privilege within your community. Contact them by their email address patrickconnolly3391@email.ch for more details.

Announcer.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

What's the new twist that I'm apparently not seeing?

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

Volmarias posted:

What's the new twist that I'm apparently not seeing?

IDK, I guess they're going to just give me millions of dollars to help my community as opposed to giving me millions to deposit a Nigerian prince's money in my bank account?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Oh, I've seen that angle for quite a while, hence the lack of surprise. 419eater has plenty of examples to look at!

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

This particular one is new to me. I usually get the fake job ones: "Make $3,000 a week working from home!"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'll admit that I never get those, even just in the spam folder. 419s have mostly disappeared for me but there's still an occasional one.

Want to swap? I've got Hot Singles, Delivery Failure, Cheap Manufacturing (?!), We Have Your Password From Fifteen Years Ago, and Lending Tree. The last one is technically legit but they don't actually take unsubscribe for an answer, and it's been over a decade. I also sometimes get "Let Me, The Spammer, Build Your Website Out" and I simply do not understand why anyone would go for that one, but that's at least semi targeted.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Volmarias posted:

I also sometimes get "Let Me, The Spammer, Build Your Website Out" and I simply do not understand why anyone would go for that one, but that's at least semi targeted.

I got a poo poo ton of these when I started a website purely for personal use, and outside of my web host selling my information (entirely plausible) I still have no idea how it got into the hands of so many spammers because I didn't advertise or do anything to put that information out there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Simsmagic posted:

I got a poo poo ton of these when I started a website purely for personal use, and outside of my web host selling my information (entirely plausible) I still have no idea how it got into the hands of so many spammers because I didn't advertise or do anything to put that information out there.

Is it in your whois info?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I had a collection of the penis pill spams I was inundated with for a while a couple of years ago but I lost it in a glitch. My favourite was 'little blue pills to help you squeeze her dry!'

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The worst and most common spam I get are from seemingly ‘legit’ companies like Splash Wine or Liberty Mutual resellers that I’ve never expressed any interest in, but seeing the rotating email addresses used to try avoid my blocks makes me know I definitely should not hit that unsubscribe button.

My ‘I only give out this email to people and services I really trust’ account still gets only very rare spam at least.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Was there a recent data breach or something? I got eight scam calls yesterday, which is more phone calls than I usually get in a month.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

In the UK? I got seven "HMRC ARE COMING TO ARREST YOU" calls yesterday morning.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I've heard, maybe in this thread, that it's probably just another group of scammers recycling a list of numbers from someone else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
They've always come in waves for as long as I've owned a cell phone. It'll be mostly dormant for a couple weeks and then I'll get bombarded with 25 of them across 3-4 days, then back to mostly silence. As regular as the tides.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It's just waves and your time is up, my wife and I were bombarded a week and a half ago but it's relatively quiet right now.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

YggiDee posted:

Was there a recent data breach or something? I got eight scam calls yesterday, which is more phone calls than I usually get in a month.

Weird, I just had a friend ask me the same thing -- she got a ton over the weekend. Guess you guys are on the same lists.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

hyperhazard posted:

Weird, I just had a friend ask me the same thing -- she got a ton over the weekend. Guess you guys are on the same lists.

I'm in the UK and I've noticed a huge influx over the last month. Both SMS and calls spoofed from numbers three digits different to mine.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
At least in the US, I’ve heard there might be some spikes relating to scammers trying to test workarounds to STIR/SHAKEN before some deadlines land.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm in Ontario if that makes a difference but :shrug:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Blue Moonlight posted:

At least in the US, I’ve heard there might be some spikes relating to scammers trying to test workarounds to STIR/SHAKEN before some deadlines land.
What is that?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Tubgoat posted:

What is that?

To simplify it a great deal (and likely introduce some hopefully-forgivable inaccuracies), it basically is a signal a telecommunications provider adds to an incoming call indicating that they can guarantee the call is being made by equipment authorized for the given phone number.

So, if my cell phone is 555-555-1212, and I call someone’s cell phone, they might get the OK that I’m legit, but if a spammer calls that same person with a spoofed number of 555-555-1212, they won’t get the OK. It won’t say it’s spoofed, it just won’t have the additional endorsement.

It works fairly well between cell phones, or VOIP lines, but once there’s analog equipment in the mix, transfers between telecom providers, etc., it gets a bit iffy.

On iPhones, you can check the call log - any incoming calls with a ☑️ symbol have been verified. Oddly, no toggle to only accept verified calls, which I’d prefer over the blanket “block anyone not in your contacts”, but so it goes for :woz: products.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

It's the super special certified url bar where the padlock gets a green background, and absolutely no one notices it out understands what it means. It's a good start but IMO not sufficient.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
Since everyone thinks it's clever to point this out now even though the concept has been around for ages: have there actually been any examples of people using "what is your favorite pet's name? or "what was your first car?" Facebook posts or online polls to harvest password reset questions en masse? Seems like a lot of effort considering that Facebook itself doesn't have security questions.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

lavaca posted:

Facebook itself doesn't have security questions.
But it does have questionable security!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I hadn't thought about it but MLM's have really made out during Covid 19 and it makes prefect sense

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7eb34/mlm-arbonne-coronavirus-recruitment

quote:

“With everything going on with coronavirus and the way that the world is being impacted,” she says earnestly, “if you have any doubt in your mind about your future or any concern that you might not be able to make a payment or that your health isn’t the best, and you’re worried that this is something that is going to seriously affect you, then just reach out to me and let’s just have a conversation.”

As the COVID pandemic swept the globe early last year, videos like this began to appear across social media. Individuals involved with network marketing companies were leaping on job insecurity and rising unemployment to entice potential recruits. While we all locked down, they promised furloughed and laid-off women that they could make money without leaving the house. Multi-level marketing rapidly became an unexpected symptom of a devastating disease – one that thrived on mass unemployment and stay-at-home orders.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

>:(

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I turned 40 the other week and all the ads and spam I'm getting switched over to older man spam immediately, it's depressing.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

cakesmith handyman posted:

I turned 40 the other week and all the ads and spam I'm getting switched over to older man spam immediately, it's depressing.
Lol, owned! By the time I turn 40, that poo poo will be beamed directly into my synapses by DARPA. :(

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I hadn't thought about it but MLM's have really made out during Covid 19 and it makes prefect sense

Definitely dropped a few friends on Facebook seeing them try to prey on recently unemployed folks. Absolute scum.

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

BiggerBoat posted:

If you're still dumb or unaware enough to fall for an MLM in 2021 you probably deserve it tbh

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

If you're still dumb or unaware enough to fall for an MLM in 2021 you probably deserve it tbh

Here's your other post in this thread:

Cage Kicker posted:

Imagine being so cringy you remain trapped in a situation where you're free to leave at any time

Quit blaming victims. It seems dumb as poo poo to us but plenty of people are even less financially sophisticated than we are and as such are easy pickings for the predators.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Double fire

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

What the gently caress awful app

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Quad damage.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Multi level posting.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Quit blaming multi-posting victims. It seems dumb as poo poo to us but plenty of people are even less technologically sophisticated than we are and as such are easy pickings for the mobile app.

I agree with you but couldn't resist

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Midjack posted:

Quit blaming victims. It seems dumb as poo poo to us but plenty of people are even less financially sophisticated than we are and as such are easy pickings for the predators.

Go gently caress yourself, if you fall for an OBVIOUS SCAM you are at least partly to blame for not exercising better judgement.