Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

feedmyleg posted:

Yep. It helps that Bautista has great taste when it comes to projects, and Johnson has godawful taste.

I dunno, I watched the first 20 minutes of Stuber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
The Rock has also been a presence in media for over 2 decades, if we were comparing his time to Arnold Schwarzenegger and starting with Pumping Iron we’d be somewhere between Batman and Robin and Terminator 3, it’s pretty understandable folks feel he’s starting to get a bit stale as a movie star.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Bautista seems to me to give a poo poo about acting, and he can be excellent with the right director. He's great in Blade Runner 2049, there's pathos there.

The Rock seems more like wanting to be a brand. idk that I've seen him being great in anything. He's got the same superficial persona in every movie & it works out for popcorn flicks I guess.

I'd probably like Rock more if he stuck to character roles, or maybe leaned into it more weird like Arnold did. Bautista isn't very good when he tries to carry a movie either, like Army of the Dead, but that could easily be on Snyder cause the whole thing was kind of as a mess.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/nickusen/status/1138805953841848320?lang=en

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk_BN4sBZIM

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

you know, i would be okay with that

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This looks real bad

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I dislike Mark Wahlberger.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

teagone posted:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

teagone posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEbl-umsFOM

e: but yeah hes worse than anyone else mentioned in the last couple pages

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This looks real bad

It really does

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
he was good in pain & gain though

so was the rock, another actor i've only ever liked in pain & gain

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken

Carthag Tuek posted:

e: but yeah hes worse than anyone else mentioned in the last couple pages

Say what you will about the big wrestlemans who transitioned to acting, at least neither of them did prison time for racially motivated hate crimes, where they screamed about how their victim deserves to die because *checks notes* they had the sheer gall, temerity and audacity to be a POC and exist.

Basically, gently caress Marky Mark, the racist piece of trash.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I really liked Rock when he first emerged as an actor, was cool to see a wrestler that could successfully transition into movies and not be extremely wooden/awkward. He's pretty boring now though, I don't know if I'm just harboring residual disappointment from Hercules but I feel like he doesn't offer much you couldn't get from Vin Diesel or Bautista instead.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neurolimal posted:

I really liked Rock when he first emerged as an actor, was cool to see a wrestler that could successfully transition into movies and not be extremely wooden/awkward. He's pretty boring now though, I don't know if I'm just harboring residual disappointment from Hercules but I feel like he doesn't offer much you couldn't get from Vin Diesel or Bautista instead.

It really feels like he's playing super safe & calculated with his movie career so it won't impede a pivot into politics.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Will Smith had this going for a long rear end while before he started doing some good stuff again.

Genuinely curious what movies you're talking about. I just had to look up what the most recent Will Smith movie is that I've seen and it's I Am Legend/Hancock, which were almost 15 years ago (and I hated them both)

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
The rock was really great in The Rundown, and I wish he had kept on that path.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

He's great in the Jumanji movies too.

Those movies have no right being as good as they are. :colbert:

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It amuses me that Dwayne Johnson publically called out Vin Diesel for being late to set on the F&F films. Sure, Vin has his own behavioral issues, but anyone who has worked on a movie with the Rock can tell you that he's habitually hours late for his shooting call every single day. Even the ones where he's a producer. A shameful ex wrestleman wasting he own money.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

The MSJ posted:

It's a videogame adaptation.

Lol just looked it up its. a Mafia game.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It will be bad because it won't have a Werewolf Break like the Beast Must Die

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It really feels like he's playing super safe & calculated with his movie career so it won't impede a pivot into politics.

I've heard he has a set of writers who doctor his scripts like Young Rock producer Brian Gewirtz (whom he recruited out of the WWE writers' room), so that would explain why his characters feel very samey.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jewmanji posted:

Genuinely curious what movies you're talking about. I just had to look up what the most recent Will Smith movie is that I've seen and it's I Am Legend/Hancock, which were almost 15 years ago (and I hated them both)

oh man i used to love will smith. and yeah thats right around when he stopped emoting on screen, as far as i can tell

i would say there are some good scenes in both of those

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Dillbag posted:

It amuses me that Dwayne Johnson publically called out Vin Diesel for being late to set on the F&F films. Sure, Vin has his own behavioral issues, but anyone who has worked on a movie with the Rock can tell you that he's habitually hours late for his shooting call every single day. Even the ones where he's a producer. A shameful ex wrestleman wasting he own money.

I still have a chuckle at the news that Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Jason Statham all have it in their contracts that their character can't lose a fight on-screen. Bunch of loving grown-rear end men who are around or over 50 with egos so fragile, they can't bear the thought that a character they play might take a punch or two?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 29, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
They all fear becoming jobbers

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Carthag Tuek posted:

he stopped emoting on screen, as far as i can tell

Um, you seem to have missed his line reading of "Tell the truth" in the film Concussion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v79i9szAR6g

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Jewmanji posted:

Honestly I was going off memory and…. Yeah you’re right. Jesus Christ I’ve lost the entire concept of time in regards to movies.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Vagabundo posted:

I still have a chuckle at the news that Dwayne Johnson, Vin Diesel and Jason Statham all have it in their contracts that their character can't lose a fight on-screen. Bunch of loving grown-rear end men who are around or over 50 with egos so fragile, they can't bear the thought that a character they play might take a punch or two?

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Dwayne gets his rear end kicked in movies all the time.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vandar posted:

I'm pretty sure that's not true. Dwayne gets his rear end kicked in movies all the time.

It is. I think for Hobbs and Shaw it was contractually obligated for them to get their rear end kicked equally and for them to dish out as much. It’s stupid. Like Mickey and Bugs having to have equal screen time in Roger Rabbit.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shooting Blanks posted:

Disagree on the diverse worldbuilding, considering each season incorporated a new facet of Baltimore. Otherwise, on paper I'd agree.

That said, I think his description was more about what makes for a popular show, not necessarily a good one. Think about who Bezos is and why his definition of "good" might be different from yours.

In other news, there is a trailer out for Lansky and it looks awesome.

Even then.

GOT, Lost, LA and Order.... none of the most popular shows on TV fit that rule.

What does is a particular brand of sci fi and fantasy that Bezos no doubt vaccums.

And thinks should be the rule of everythibg, bc hes a billionaire

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

teagone posted:

Do you think any movie maker went 'This would be PERFECT for Mark Wahlberg!'.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

happyhippy posted:

Do you think any movie maker went 'This would be PERFECT for Mark Wahlberg!'.

He was outstanding in Other Guys.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

He was outstanding in Other Guys.

mark wahlberg is the perfect actor for enthusiastic dumb jock roles, is the lesson

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Thaddius the Large posted:

The Rock has also been a presence in media for over 2 decades, if we were comparing his time to Arnold Schwarzenegger and starting with Pumping Iron we’d be somewhere between Batman and Robin and Terminator 3, it’s pretty understandable folks feel he’s starting to get a bit stale as a movie star.

None of the Rock's movies approach the quality of Schwarzenegger's best movies though. Predator, The Terminator, Total Recall, Terminator 2, True Lies. Name a movie by the Rock that comes close to any of those.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Charlz Guybon posted:

None of the Rock's movies approach the quality of Schwarzenegger's best movies though. Predator, The Terminator, Total Recall, Terminator 2, True Lies. Name a movie by the Rock that comes close to any of those.

The opening 5 minutes of The Rundown. But yeah that's it.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Not really my point, just noting that even the best are prone to decline, it’s hardly surprising folks are feeling over the Rock.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Vandar posted:

Dwayne became an internationally known pro wrestler at the height of popularity for that business, and springboarded into Hollywood, by losing to a bald white redneck and an overweight guy wearing raggedy office clothing with a sock on his hand pretty consistently

I’m sure he’s aware it doesn’t matter as long as you do or say cool poo poo, so yeah it’s very doubtful that it’s true

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dillbag posted:

The opening 5 minutes of The Rundown. But yeah that's it.

That's a Schwarzenegger movie, though.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Vagabundo posted:

I've heard he has a set of writers who doctor his scripts like Young Rock producer Brian Gewirtz (whom he recruited out of the WWE writers' room), so that would explain why his characters feel very samey.

The original ending of Rampage had the friendly giant albino gorilla dying but the Rock threatened to walk unless they changed it to a happier ending where it survives, and later bragged about it in interviews

quote:

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson hated the original ending to his new movie "Rampage" so much that he was going to quit unless it was changed.

In an interview with Rolling Stone, Johnson said he doesn't like sad endings because "life brings that s--- — I don't want it in my movies. When the credits roll, I want to feel great."

In the film's original ending (spoiler alert), George — a mutated giant ape with a close bond to Johnson's character — dies after sacrificing himself to stop the other infected monsters. In the finished version, George survives.

"He sacrifices himself like a brave soldier," Johnson told Rolling Stone when describing how others tried to sell him on the original ending. "OK. But this is a movie! There's a crocodile the size of a football stadium – we're not making Saving Private Ryan."

Johnson said that George's fate became the "number one topic of discussion" with the director and producers, and that if George didn't survive, he would have walked away from the movie.

"My problem is I have a relationship with an audience around the world," he said. "For years I've built a trust with them that they're gonna come to my movies and feel good. So every once in a while, you have to drop this card, which is: You're gonna have to find another actor. We need to figure something out, otherwise I'm not gonna do the movie."
https://www.businessinsider.com/dwayne-the-rock-johnson-almost-quit-rampage-over-ending-2018-4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Bautista acts more sincerely than the Rock, from what I've seen.

Which, y'know, involves acting.