Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think Ferguson is a great interviewer but I found everything else about his show completely unfunny. On the other hand I pretty much think Michael Ian Black is funny every single time I see him. I feel his show would've been a lot funnier but I have a feeling he wouldn't have been a great interviewer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The late night format is just too constricting. Pretty much every host, even Leno, has some comedy gold nuggets in their library but 99% of the time it's just some painfully unfunny or obligatory segments. I hope Conan just transitions to a travel show even though it's way more work.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

At first I was upset that Conan's TBS show is ending, but honestly I've gotten more entertainment from his podcast (and the new offshoot of his podcast where he talks to fans) recently, so it's not as big of a loss as I once thought. Like it's sad that the show that gave us bits like WikiBear and Minty the Candy Cane Who Fell on the Ground is ending, but those bits ended a while ago anyway.

I wonder what his HBO Max show will be like. Will he even keep Andy Richter?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mu Zeta posted:

The late night format is just too constricting. Pretty much every host, even Leno, has some comedy gold nuggets

I disagree with the latter, but very much agree with the former. I miss Stephen Colbert a lot, but his late night show just sucks because of the format sucking.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Watching Colbert do softball political joke monologues feels so... hollow and toothless. I've never been able to watch through episodes or make it through many clips to know if any of his other bits are better.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

X-O posted:

I think Ferguson is a great interviewer but I found everything else about his show completely unfunny.

The unfunniness is what sold it for me. The times when the pacing would hit a low point and Ferguson basically leaned into the camera and said "this is weird, isn't it?" (I think he literally did that some times). Fit well for 1AM should-be-in-bed television.

But comedy's subjective, what I got out of it doesn't mean other folks are wrong.

Edit: I guess I'd say that Ferguson had funny monologues and interviews and the like, but his ability to metaphorically invite the viewers onto the stage with him is what made him memorable for me. Conan did some of that as well, in a different way. Most late night hosts don't get that opportunity.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 29, 2021

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Yeah Ferguson had a "we're just hanging out here" vibe which can be really fun. A huge bit of the talk show gig is trying to make things feel natural even though it's an incredibly unnatural setup.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I think Craig's show also tapped into some proto-zeitgeist that was forming and would become the ubiquitous content generation we see on social media today. The production was sparse and always made to look like he was a one-man-band, which gave the show an intimate and endearing vibe. Wholesome content like poorly done puppet shows for the cold opens also gave off good feelings. Anecdotally, the show was popular with service industry workers I knew who wanted something calming to decompress with after a night shift, since it would be on not long after everyone got home. I always really enjoyed the show for that quality.

His interviews also stood out for famously ripping the cue cards at the start and going off-script. It didn't always pay off, but the unusual and casual nature of his questions, which studiously avoided plugging whatever the guest was actually there to talk about, produced unique and interesting moments more often than not. It's why we can see all of the interview compilations on youtube.

Americans also just love a Scottish accent and when famous people join the club and naturalize.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The thing I loved about Craig was how many of his guests loved him. There was a big thing when he left, the lead in to his final show and the number of people who wanted to be a part of it was staggering. He's just a wonderful guy.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

zoux posted:

You'll be left wanting a spinoff of Shea Whigham walking around pre-war LA and looking askance at things.

Hell yeah.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

cant cook creole bream posted:

I agree. They really got their dysfunctional work-crew-balance down and made a great bottle episode. I love how the HR lady is secretly loving all of this drama.
But the last two scenes were absolutely brutal. Poppy and Ian are really good at hurting each other.

Seriously. This show isn't pulling punches, it's great. I'm sad for tester and tester's relationship ending too although that seems like it's going to produce some good character growth

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Josh Robert Thompson as Geoff Peterson was so goddamn good as Ferguson’s gay robot skeleton Ed McMahon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAHSUTB5BJc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIJRqyxxnSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quDQ38dx21o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUvhQgF6bV8

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Echoing Mythic Quest appreciation.

I'm excited for Carol's innevitable villain turn.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Gotta say, after watching the beginning of the Mighty Ducks Gamechangers season, I was on board with the twist in making the Ducks the bad guys and a new (but awfully named) offshoot team be the new heroes, but I loving loooooved what the finale did. Super fun little show and gotta love how they incorporated Svechnikov's real life 'lacrosse style' goal as one of their gimmick plays.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Holy poo poo, I don't watch a lot of Korean stuff, but Extracurricular is loving amazing. What a magnificent hosed up show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Stan Gyuri immediately

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, she's great!
I'm on the last two episodes And will probably be finishing within one day.

That show has been sitting in my to watch list on Netflix for years, ever since one of you guys recommended it. It's really good.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 29, 2021

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
And done. That's the sort of ending you don't really see in western productions. That was very Korean. Whoever suggested this show last year should have been a bit more insistent! You guys should get in on that.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
We were very insistent, it's just that nobody listened.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
We tried our best!

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I caught a commercial for this this afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prALivuUmMo

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
That's quite the cast

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Created by Clea DuVall and Jennifer Crittenden of Simpsons and Seinfeld fame. Ok, I’ll add it to the list.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I like all those people but some of those jokes... woof

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Elliott Kalan was on the writing team for this so it has the potential to be good.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
animals can't talk english

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Khanstant posted:

Can too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Black Monday gets sillier, funnier, and better every season

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

TV Club returns! Watch Terriers!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3969270

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Someone never watched HBO's Animals.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Someone never watched HBO's Animals.

I think it was a lot more than someone

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/whitefeeIings/status/1398844492459909129

Oh noooooo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha, that show is one of the things that made me certain that I had the made the correct life choices.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://news.yahoo.com/arrow-star-katie-cassidy-moving-171737865.html

'Arrow' star Katie Cassidy is moving on from superheroes and ready for the next thing - digital art and cryptocurrency

Now there's a headline.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This new Bo Burnham special is fuckin incredible

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

cant cook creole bream posted:

Holy poo poo, I don't watch a lot of Korean stuff, but Extracurricular is loving amazing. What a magnificent hosed up show.

Yeah I believe I gushed about it in this very thread...(maybe in 2020?) and most kdrama is terribly formulaic/saccharine but this was one of the actual good shows that kept me in its grips.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

This new Bo Burnham special is fuckin incredible

I was expecting a lot considering how much I've enjoyed his other content but...I was not expecting this. It's very good.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I was expecting a lot considering how much I've enjoyed his other content but...I was not expecting this. It's very good.

I think it runs a little long but when it’s at its best it’s the best work he’s ever done. The Instagram song absolutely slayed me, and the visuals really helped. I almost want him to keep doing stuff like this instead of going back to live specials post-COVID

also uhhhh this is BUCK WILD

https://twitter.com/hannastasia/status/1399405550719442953?s=21

Been digging around and given her family history and previous versions of the event’s wiki page I think it’s true

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I remember the Trueanon podcast covering the veiled prophet society more than a year ago which is where I found out about Kemper participating in it.

In addition to being a racist and segregationist event, the Veiled Prophet Ball is a high society event for old money in Missouri and her great-great grandfather was a huge railroad and banking magnate so it's not particularly mysterious how it happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I looked into it and she’s clearly not some secret racist or anything but it’s still bizarre