Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Smart Keyboard has been my only case on my 3rd gen Pro since launch and I’m probably just going to end up doing the same with the new Pro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Got my 5h gen. You can definitely feel the weigh difference, everything else is pretty good. Blooming is kinda noticeable but not enough to complain about it. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed with software updates. MKHDB's review mentioned that the thing that surprised him the most was that it felt that no app ever actually closed (due to M1 + more ram) and from using it tonight it certainly feels that way. I can scroll through all my open apps to the oldest and it'll be exactly where I left it with no indication that it's actually re-opening. Pretty drat cool.

3rd gen smart keyboard actually work even if it's not snug because of the bigger camera bump. Will make it easier to actually use while I shop for either a new smart keyboard or a low profile shell case (with BT keyboards at work and home which is like 99% of the time I use it). Honestly at this point, this + a magic keyboard has to weigh as much if not more than an actual laptop a this point. I can't see myself actually going for it (as much as I would like to). I use a Magic Mouse 2 on occasion but it lacks the multi-touch swipe gestures you'd get with a touchpad.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 03:20 on May 28, 2021

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Got my 5h gen. You can definitely feel the weigh difference, everything else is pretty good. Blooming is kinda noticeable but not enough to complain about it. Hopefully it's something that can be addressed with software updates. MKHDB's review mentioned that the thing that surprised him the most was that it felt that no app ever actually closed (due to M1 + more ram) and from using it tonight it certainly feels that way. I can scroll through all my open apps to the oldest and it'll be exactly where I left it with no indication that it's actually re-opening. Pretty drat cool.

3rd gen smart keyboard actually work even if it's not snug because of the bigger camera bump. Will make it easier to actually use while I shop for either a new smart keyboard or a low profile shell case (with BT keyboards at work and home which is like 99% of the time I use it). Honestly at this point, this + a magic keyboard has to weigh as much if not more than an actual laptop a this point. I can't see myself actually going for it (as much as I would like to). I use a Magic Mouse 2 on occasion but it lacks the multi-touch swipe gestures you'd get with a touchpad.

My Magic Mouse does all the multi touch gestures I could possibly want. But that’s on Mac and maybe with extra software to make it work. But it’s configured the same way as all the iPad gestures so I never think about it any more it’s all muscle memory.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
The blooming on the iPad I have is pretty bad - you can see the halo when unlocking the screen or when reading anything at night in night mode. Is the consensus that this is a software rather than hardware issue?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Shadowhand00 posted:

The blooming on the iPad I have is pretty bad - you can see the halo when unlocking the screen or when reading anything at night in night mode. Is the consensus that this is a software rather than hardware issue?

Consensus is you're making it up and should stop lying

(It's a 1st gen new tech by apple, I'm personally betting hardware)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But I would hope they can mitigate it in software, there's allegedly a grid of 10,000 micro leds in that screen and maybe they can fine tune how many leds get turned on in those high contrast situations.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

sourdough posted:

Consensus is you're making it up and should stop lying

(It's a 1st gen new tech by apple, I'm personally betting hardware)

Seems like it'd be a software issue to me. The zone control threshold seems to be off and, hopefully, would just be fixable via a firmware update.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I'm believing all of this so I stay happy with my 3rd gen pro

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
If it was an easy software tuning thing, I just don't really get how it'd not have been caught. Like, they forgot to check that this new display they hyped as the leading feature was actually calibrated well?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All the offices at Apple's spaceship have human detecting lights and there was no way for them to test the device in unlit environments.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Like the whole point was to approach oled levels of contrast, and they didn't test having white content on a black background?? Seems more likely they did and saw the bloom and figured it was worth the tradeoffs and they can improve it in revisions down the road.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

xzzy posted:

But I would hope they can mitigate it in software, there's allegedly a grid of 10,000 micro leds in that screen and maybe they can fine tune how many leds get turned on in those high contrast situations.
About 10,000 mini* LEDs, but grouped into ~2,500 zones :eng101:. Wonder what the limitation is on zones vs total LEDs. If I'm doing my math right (...decent chance I'm not) the zones are about 1/6" square. Not small enough to avoid blooming completely, but small enough that it seems like it shouldn't be as bad as some of the examples being shown.

*Micro LED is the ideal one where it's 1:1 to pixels like OLED

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven’t noticed any blooming, but I also don’t use my iPad in pitch black. The vignetting around the edge is noticeable if I’m looking for it.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

yeah, it seems incredibly subjective as to whether it bugs you or not, especially since it’s not present 100% of the time.
i wonder what’s the likelihood of it not necessarily being a bug but the mini LEDs are bright enough that light from the LEDs just kinda naturally bleeds and since the surrounding display is darker than before, it’s way more noticeable?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Old iPads had bloom too it was just the entire screen

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I have some mp4 files I want to give to my friend for them to watch on their iPad. How do I go about giving them the files using a physical connector (like an SD card reader or something) to their iPad and then how do they watch said files? I'm not familiar with doing this.

edit: can they watch these files from their iCloud drive if they have one?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
What kind of iPad do each of you have? If they both have USB C connectors it’s pretty simple. Otherwise Airdrop could work I’ve done that before. VLC is free on the App Store and should play everything you throw at it

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

She’s got an older iPad but has an M1 pre ordered. I hadn’t thought of airdrop, that would make things even easier. I’ve not used VLC on the iPad, can it just open videos from her files on her pad?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie posted:

Bought a 1TB 11” Pro yesterday to replace my 7th gen. The jump from the old model is crazy. Not jazzed about having to re-buy my Pencil but that’s the price of progress I guess.

Is the $300 keyboard really worth the $300? I had the folio keyboard on my old iPad and found the stand hinge kind of annoyingly fussy, so I’m curious if the nicer one is in fact nicer.

Caved and bought it at Target for the 5% off so I could walk out feeling like I had a minor victory on the price.

Having a trackpad on an iPad was a thing I didn’t know I would love so much.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

kitten smoothie posted:

Having a trackpad on an iPad was a thing I didn’t know I would love so much.

the trackpad really makes a huge difference imo, but it’s weird i think i like it more for the gestures and all than i do for just cursor navigation??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I'm shocked how much use I'm getting out of it, though a large part of that is probably due to having my arm in a sling for the next several weeks.

Anyway, really enjoying my M1 iPad. That's it. That's my review.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah, I'm shocked how much use I'm getting out of it, though a large part of that is probably due to having my arm in a sling for the next several weeks.

Anyway, really enjoying my M1 iPad. That's it. That's my review.

So I need to know: what happened to your arm ? Is the new iPad that heavy ?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Duckman2008 posted:

So I need to know: what happened to your arm ? Is the new iPad that heavy ?

Yes! It's a beast!

Nah, took a tumble from an electric scooter and broke a collar bone.

Don't drink and scoot, friends.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I set up the projector tonight for a backyard movie with the kid. Previously I’d use my old 7th gen iPad and a Lightning - HDMI adapter.

So nice that the same cheap Anker USB-C hub I use for my MacBook Pro now also works as an AV adapter for my iPad too.

It’s totally a case of “of course it would work” technically, but it’s refreshing to be able to do that stuff with the iPad without having to buy a proprietary dongle with the Lightning connector.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Yes! It's a beast!

Just gotta say two things.

1. Glad you are ok.

2. Lol.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
Is there one controller on the market which is compatible with iOS, Switch, and XBox Gamepass? I’ve got a Switch (without a Pro Controller) and my son is getting to the age where it’s uncomfortable for us to split the JoyCons for 2 player games.

I would like to sub to Gamepass Ultimate once it’s widely available and I’d prefer to just buy one controller which will work on everything.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The 8bitdo SN30 Pro 2 is compatible with everything except PlayStation

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Is it really compatible with iOS? I don't have a Pro 2 but I never got my SN30 Pro to work with iOS. Looking at their site it doesn't have iOS listed under the compatibility section.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
If you put it in DS4 mode it will work as well as a PlayStation controller does. Same with Xinput mode

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
iOS compatibility is actually my lowest priority. However, if a controller isn’t iOS compatible, would it work with Gamepass?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sock The Great posted:

iOS compatibility is actually my lowest priority. However, if a controller isn’t iOS compatible, would it work with Gamepass?

It should yes.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Am I correct that there’s no way to switch text input focus from one app to the other when you’re in split screen mode?

Surely this can’t be true?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Am I correct that there’s no way to switch text input focus from one app to the other when you’re in split screen mode?

Tapping/clicking should work. If you meant just from the keyboard...uhh yeah looks like command tabbing only gets you partially there, at least from playing with Mail and Notes just now.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

Lexicon posted:

Just tapping somewhere in the area of the intended “window” seems to do it for me.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
Ah ok - it fails for me (via tapping, but with a Magic Keyboard connected) with certain combinations of apps. With Notes and Safari, say - I cannot get the focus to leave Notes after clicking into Safari.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Endless Mike posted:

Yes! It's a beast!

I’d expect no less from a poster in this thread, on this website

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Probably more of an iCloud question but safari on my ipad shows three tabs on my phone that I can’t make go away. Close them on the phone, from safari, clear browsing data, toggle safari off and on in iCloud, restart… same three goddamn tabs show up. Any idea how to get rid of them?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Centrist Committee posted:

Probably more of an iCloud question but safari on my ipad shows three tabs on my phone that I can’t make go away. Close them on the phone, from safari, clear browsing data, toggle safari off and on in iCloud, restart… same three goddamn tabs show up. Any idea how to get rid of them?

Do the settings have your start page open 3 pages?

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

How easy to use is Apple’s keychain password manager?

I use 1Password myself and I am happy with it, but I cry inside when I think of teaching my mother to use it. She uses a iPad and iPhone for everything, though, so if it’s secure and easy I may try to set her up on that. I am very tired of having to dig a paper password list out of her safe every time I have to do tech support for her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

jabro posted:

Do the settings have your start page open 3 pages?

no it’s just three random iCloud tabs won’t go away