Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

scaterry posted:

Small cultures are insanely good at teching! For example, you can run out of innovations to research as Bohemia, because you can raise average dev super high as a small culture. And for cultures with 0 counties like Frankish, Khitan, Songhai, Ashkenazi, and Sephardi, you can convert culture a single high dev province and tech insanely fast. It makes for some interesting tall gameplay.

Not being the culture head is super frustrating, I agree, especially if the culture head has low learning. Something the dlc will fix, I guess.

In my last game I played as one of the Tamil kings and ended up teching faster than the Byzantines. It kicked rear end. It was also the first time I ran a multicultural empire, and it was surprisingly easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

CapnAndy posted:

I started my first game of this after having it sit on my hard drive for months, and I dunno, right now it's leaving me a bit cold? I'm not sure this is an upgrade over CK2. Things that're bugging me so far:

- First and foremost, it's much harder to read anything! Why is the font size down? Why are the numbers on your character sheet so goddamn small? And the dark-on-dark color scheme is brutal on me, since I'm colorblind. The game doesn't seem to understand that colorblind people exist; all the trait icons are muddy and don't stand out. I could read the CK2 ones easier, even though they're smaller, because those were bright colors on a light background.
- Raising kids kinda sucks. I don't know why education focus is buried in one very small icon on the character portrait and the game doesn't ever bug you to pick one for your wards if you forget. And then so far at least the events seem super limited. I don't know if that's a function of playing as only two dudes so far and it's heavily weighted by your personality or what, but I've seen the event where a kid leaves the feast early and you have to choose either Impatient/Shy/Gluttonous like six times.
- Technology and learning new poo poo is super limited and maddeningly opaque. It's by culture now? And the only way to have any input at all is to pick one thing to be "interested" in? And you can't send a councilor off to somewhere more advanced to learn from them? What the christ is all this, is it supposed to be apparently impossible to unlock something as loving basic as primogeniture?

I guess the lifestyle focus skill trees are neat and Medieval Eugenics seems to have gotten some serious boosts with the Inherited Trait thing, but overall, this feels like it's either at parity with CK2 or a step backwards.

tech is pretty uninteresting in CK3, although I'm not sure CK2's tech mechanics were really any better. iirc the tutorial of CK2 even says something like "technology didn't really change much in this era but here's some stuff I guess"

primogeniture is so powerful in game terms I think it was a conscious decision to make it late-game only. dealing with succession problems is kinda fun / integral part of the game. I almost wish they'd make it even more complex and challenging, tbh.

the childhood education stuff and council are definitely weak points and definitely ripe targets for expansions.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

At the very least, it seems like "court tutor" is something being added in the Royal Court expansion. So there's an opportunity to add to child education there.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

They should really have a whole succession interface where you can fiddle with the distribution of your titles. Making it unfair gives big penalties to the main heir and pisses everyone off, so you actually get civil wars and poo poo. Succession is core to the game, it shouldn’t be this clumsy automatic thing with zero interactivity and almost no repercussions.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Knuc U Kinte posted:

They just make crap up because it’s a game. It’s 867 dude.

Cmon man no need to be rude. I like these games because of their (pretense) of historical accuracy

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Cmon man no need to be rude. I like these games because of their (pretense) of historical accuracy
the franks, as you imply, typically define the archaic french. the term might be defining a regional identity in this context. but all this is somewhat sketchy: because pre-modern ethnic identity--frankish, french, whatever--was far more heterogeneous than modern ethnic identity, to the point that 'french' may itself be just as contrived for this period. as late as the ~1700s or 1800s there were hundreds of local french dialects that were not always mutually intelligible to each other.

Zane fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 30, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

megane posted:

They should really have a whole succession interface where you can fiddle with the distribution of your titles. Making it unfair gives big penalties to the main heir and pisses everyone off, so you actually get civil wars and poo poo. Succession is core to the game, it shouldn’t be this clumsy automatic thing with zero interactivity and almost no repercussions.

Yeah, that. Partition could be interesting with that and primo being so late would be less unberable

Also is even worst when you start on the earlier date and have access to nothing but ultimogeniture so no partition problems but you are stuck with random 60 years old uncles inheriting only to die 5 years later for more than a century

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 29, 2021

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I don't get why people struggle so much with partition. By the time I'm 2 or 3 generations in I'm usually making enough monthly renown that I can afford to Disinherit all the extra sons I have, long before Primo even becomes an option, while still saving up for dynastic perks.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Right, because this game is set in a time with no disease or assassinations.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Neurion posted:

I don't get why people struggle so much with partition. By the time I'm 2 or 3 generations in I'm usually making enough monthly renown that I can afford to Disinherit all the extra sons I have, long before Primo even becomes an option, while still saving up for dynastic perks.

This does require you to play a certain way where you spread your family all over the place. Some people might not want to do that, it can be a lot of work to distract from other things you may prefer to focus on.

Though I've never been one to waste renown on rampant disinheritance when the correct move is to give all of your heirs some land.

Magil Zeal fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 29, 2021

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I give them land but then they inherit even more land. This has actually annoyed me, if I make my second son duke of the borderlands he shouldn't also get a bunch of my capital counties when I die.

Of course it's easy to get it back from him, but I like to leave my family members be and watch them grow and thrive instead of always pruning the tree.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Parition is easy enough to game as soon as you figure out how it works unless you're dying too often. Manually being able to set things would make everything too easy, IMO.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
If you only keep one duchy for your main heir and give duchy titles to your other kids, they should not get stuff from your capital duchy. Either they don't have the duke title, or you have more land than just your main duchy.

Edit: Also yeah, don't waste renown on disinheriting unless you need to. It's valuable for dynasty traits, and slow to get.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Why waste renown disinheriting kids you don't want when you can just force them to be knights and get them killed in battle?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
infant mortality should also be like 40%

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

bob dobbs is dead posted:

infant mortality should also be like 40%

But then the birth rate should also be a lot higher, and they decided to just not do that.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

a fatguy baldspot posted:

Nah there's a lot of stuff that there just isn't documentation for, especially for the 867 start, so there's no option except to invent poo poo to fill in the gaps. Even huge stuff like "does Russian culture even exist in 867" is disputable to say the least. The 1066 start has no shortage of this either.

There's also stuff in the 1066 start that looks wrong upon inspection, the one real instance I've noticed is Ravensburg and Augsburg being owned by the Hohenstaufen's, when as far as I can tell all their documented holdings were in northern Swabia.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
:rip: tsarina dobronega, my lesbian witch queen of islamic russia. you are my favorite character yet to emerge from ck3

lived to 95, ruled for 50 of them, fought 51 wars, killed 8 people in combat

she founded three empire titles during her life (volga-ural, scandinavia, and carpathia)

the rurikids (z krumlova is a sub-branch) now span from the north sea and heligoland to the casapian sea

the family tree has become completely useless between the sheer size and the number of cross marriages and multiple marriages.

if the character finder does indeed show all characters in the game then rurikids make up 13.6% of all characters and 9.7% of all landed rulers

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 06:13 on May 30, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Is there a way to get Baldwin the Leper King or Saladin to spawn and then play as them?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I wanna play as El Cid

Guzba
Mar 21, 2009
El Cid is a knight in the court of The king of Castile in the 1066 start. You could land him and then swap to him I think?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Guzba posted:

El Cid is a knight in the court of The king of Castile in the 1066 start. You could land him and then swap to him I think?

If you're doing Iron Man just marry him to your daughter.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Guzba posted:

Yeah this is absolutely an option. His stats are hella good too, I started a game as Sancho and was blown away by the stats on this rando courtier, before it clicked who he was.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is there a way to get Baldwin the Leper King or Saladin to spawn and then play as them?

No, it's not that kind of a game. Maybe if they add a separate start date.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There is a more starting dates mod in the workshop, Paradox apparently made a bunch of them before deciding not to support them?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Paradox basically borrowed and reformatted CK2's history files (but relatively old versions of them) for CK3, but then decided to only support the two most popular of CK2's bookmarks in order to cut down on ongoing effort - so mods can (and have!) pretty easily reinstate stuff like First Crusade/HYW bookmarks or 769, but Paradox itself doesn't have to.

megane posted:

This is where I tend to say "consider giving your other kids land before you die if you want fine control of who gets what rather than leaving it to the post-succession chaos" - but really, the main flaw with partition is that the mechanics are still not really made clear in game. The reason they're so easy to game is because they're actually simple and straightforward and, in my experience, work (hell, the wiki summarises them in four lines), they just create chaos when combined with the unrelated issues that:
a) too many of a ruler's kids usually survive to inherit so titles get split like ten ways and
b) rulers, especially players trying to avoid the too many duchies penalty, don't usually have a ton of spare duchies to hand out unless they're on a map painting spree or have had a convenient vassal revolt, so the game usually ends up splitting away counties that the player king would prefer stay in their hands.

Partition is, in a welcome change from previous versions, not poorly implemented or buggy or unrealistic. What is true is that it gets in the way of the player accumulating wealth and power for their own line and many people complain loudly about this.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is anyone else here playing the linux port?

It was working fine in my first game (before the first DLC was released), but now in my second it started freezing at random, freezing in a way I have to force close it (the interface freezes completely, but the audio continues playing like notjing happened). And worst: it often happens when saving the game

Sometimes I can play for hours without it happening, sometimes it happens every 15, 20 minutes. It is getting unplayable

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

One thing that does annoy me sometimes is when my oldest son dies, his oldest son becomes my primary heir, but he doesn't get claims on the split top-level titles that go to my younger sons.

Had to brutally murder a couple grandkids because of that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Success!

Finally completed this achievement, after 3 or 4 failed attempts. I discovered one weird trick to making it super simple:

just live to 100 years old!

Real advice I would give, tho:
- Restart the game until your Haesteinn starts with a full and complete Strategist tree.
- Sardinia is a great first target for Varangian adventure. Then you can spend a couple years grabbing Corsica and the Muslim bit of Sicily while you
- Cross your fingers and pray for the Byzantines to get into a couple of bad wars at the same time.
- While you wait raid constantly and build your men at arms, when the time is right do a Kingdom invasion of Thessalonika. Do NOT form a Kingdom. Stay a Duke.
- Once you have Constantinople and have neutered the Byzantines, rush over and grab Ibiza so you can be in diplomatic range of the British Isles once again.
- Grab the Isle of Mann, by this time you should hopefully have the Fame to form the Pirate Kingdom. Pick the first 3 Pillage legacy options.

Ragnarr, your kid from game start. He turned out pretty bad, murdered a sibling and then when Haesteinn hit his 90s declared Rivalry. Had to disown him and kick him out, now he's lurking in Russia.

Still a couple of veterans from Haesteinn's original host kicking around somehow lol

It took some work and luck, but it was very satisfying to get this achievement after so many tries. Good stuff!

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

How are u posted:

Real advice I would give, tho:
- Restart the game until your Haesteinn starts with a full and complete Strategist tree.

Don't do this, there's a Reset Perks button for that.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PittTheElder posted:

Don't do this, there's a Reset Perks button for that.

Hey if you want to start the game with a mental break that's your call to make. It's a 1/3 chance to get the correct tree and restarting the game takes like 30 seconds so I didn't find it onerous.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

How are u posted:

Hey if you want to start the game with a mental break that's your call to make. It's a 1/3 chance to get the correct tree and restarting the game takes like 30 seconds so I didn't find it onerous.

You basically cheated. Remove the Chieve with Steam Achievement Manager and try again.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is anyone else here playing the linux port?

It was working fine in my first game (before the first DLC was released), but now in my second it started freezing at random, freezing in a way I have to force close it (the interface freezes completely, but the audio continues playing like notjing happened). And worst: it often happens when saving the game

Sometimes I can play for hours without it happening, sometimes it happens every 15, 20 minutes. It is getting unplayable

I think I may have had that freeze once in the past, but it's very rare and didn't really effect long play sessions. Sorry!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Serephina posted:

I think I may have had that freeze once in the past, but it's very rare and didn't really effect long play sessions. Sorry!

Is weird, actually

Just yesterday I played for around 3 hours with no issue. But sometimes it just starts happening

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

New dev diary - #62 - Monarch’s Journey unleashed

- Azure patch should be released next week.
- and Monarch's Journey cosmetics will be made available to everyone
- portrait bugfixes
- "On the AI side, we reworked how vassals handle holy war and added constraints on Feudal and Clans rulers to limit their aggression of Tribal rulers. These modifications still allow the Byzantine empire to expand but in a more elegant way."

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Speaking of cosmetics. I have been playing multiplayer with a couple of friends of mine, and one issue we've run into is that once one person hosts, nobody else can use that file to host, because he has the preorder bonus "Clothes of the Byzantine Court" or something. Which means we are "missing DLC". Can't buy it either afaik, so yeah.

Any way around this? Would be nice to have the option for someone else to host if something goes wrong with their connection.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Broken Cog posted:

Speaking of cosmetics. I have been playing multiplayer with a couple of friends of mine, and one issue we've run into is that once one person hosts, nobody else can use that file to host, because he has the preorder bonus "Clothes of the Byzantine Court" or something. Which means we are "missing DLC". Can't buy it either afaik, so yeah.

Any way around this? Would be nice to have the option for someone else to host if something goes wrong with their connection.
I think he can try disabling that pre-order DLC in launcher, not sure whether it would work with existing save though

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Dwesa posted:

I think he can try disabling that pre-order DLC in launcher, not sure whether it would work with existing save though

Figures, we'll test that next time, could work. Cheers.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Hey nifty we all get pointy princess hats.

Also I thought it was cool when spouses kept their cultural clothes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Broken Cog posted:

Figures, we'll test that next time, could work. Cheers.

It can be disabled in Steam too if the launcher can't do it. Right-click CK3 in library -> properties -> DLC.