Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Simone Magus posted:

I still say 28 Weeks Later is underrated and I'm sad we never got 28 Years Later

I really don't like zombie movies but the opening of 28 Weeks Later is one of the tensest scenes in any movie ever and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Simone Magus posted:

I think you could categorize Les Revenants broadly as "trying to do something new with the zombie concept". Man I really loved that series. Great soundtrack too.

I loved this movie! The zombies having hints of culture was a nice touch.

doctorthefonz
Nov 17, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

I really don't like zombie movies but the opening of 28 Weeks Later is one of the tensest scenes in any movie ever and I love it.

For real, the opening sequence in 28WL is so loving good, looks like it's streaming on Hulu right now

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Judakel posted:

I loved this movie! The zombies having hints of culture was a nice touch.

Oh I was talking about the French miniseries about people mysteriously just coming back from the dead like nothing had happened, but yeah that movie is good too!

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Actually, I lied. Stay for the hats.

Oh my god the loving hats. :allears:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

kingdom really owned

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
so is the new season completely without Aziz and also completely without comedy? That's the feeling I got from the little preview reels.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

nate fisher posted:

I never seen Z Nation, but I heard it was a spin off. Only reason I watched because I was sick in bed a few years ago. It was a pleasant surprise given how burnt out I was on zombies.

Remember the days of getting excited about the new upcoming TWD series? My Dawn of the Dead (OG version) loving rear end was so excited. Ahh to be that young and naive again.

Looking at wiki I guess it started out as one but they might ditched the idea when Z Nation canceled but are now going back to it with Season 2?

In Z Nation Black Summer was this whispered about terrifying part of the zombie apocolypse . They had managed to contain and eliminate the initial outbreak but too much structural damage had been done to society. Widespread famine and medicine shortages cause massive death toles that triggered a much worse outbreak.

Does that sound anything like how the show ended up?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
There’s another Epix free trial for Apple people.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

B-Rock452 posted:

Yea 28 Weeks Later was a terrible movie, but that opening scene is absolutely perfect.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Edward Mass posted:

There’s another Epix free trial for Apple people.

Are any of their original series worth watching?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I really liked Get Shorty and Perpetual Grace!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Turns out everyone’s talking about Army Of The Dead because it’s the best movie of the year, followed by Space Sweepers.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I discovered this oddball show on Hulu, Veep, it's pretty good

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Is there a season two of get shorty I watched the first season at a hotel and loved it. Ok I love anything with Chris o dowd

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Inspector 34 posted:

I really liked Get Shorty and Perpetual Grace!

Second Perpetual Grace, great show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Those who want to wish me dead isn’t a great movie but it was pretty enjoyable. I appreciate a dumb action flick that can keep it lean at around 90 minutes.

Although not even saying why they were being chased by bad guys is some bullshit.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 29, 2021

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Inspector Hound posted:

I discovered this oddball show on Hulu, Veep, it's pretty good

Quoting myself to say I can see why people like this, and I suppose I do too, but I feel like this first season really badly mishandles the pregnancy arc they try to do. It's rushed in a weird way that almost feels like they didn't want to do it or changed it at the last moment, and then they try to clean it up even more awkwardly. On the flip side, it seems like a more honest and even realistic depiction of Washington than whatever Sorkin bit, and sometimes it outright forecasts the future.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Veep has the best ending of any comedy series possibly ever, and I'll leave it at that.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

regulargonzalez posted:

Has anyone watched Rebecca on Netflix? I'm coincidentally reading the book and it's amazing. I feel like with all the gothic density someone like David Lynch could have knocked an adaptation out of the park but I'm less certain about a more straightforward treatment.

There's a pretty good 1940 Hitchcock version.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Just watched amarcord for the first time wow

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Watching The Expanse after discovering and binging 19-2 (Canadian cop drama) is kind of funny, because they all pull from the same pool of Canadian actors.

The captain of the Canterbury was the mobbed up pizza shop owner.
The rear end in a top hat scientist colonel on the mission to Venus was also the corrupt pedophile Sergeant Houle.
The annoying Belter rabble-rouser on Ceres is the same dude that Ben Chartier shot in the leg on his first day.
Chrisjen's pet general was the alcoholic scared of the dark motherfucker himself, Tyler
The captain of one of the Mars ships was Inspector Roberge

and the one that really threw me-

one of Bobbi's Marines was Ben's first girlfriend that wouldn't move to Montreal with him

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Edward Mass posted:

Veep has the best ending of any comedy series possibly ever, and I'll leave it at that.

Hard agree

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Plan B, which is streaming now on Hulu, is pretty funny.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I binged through both seasons of Lodge 49 this week, and wow, what a great show. I regret not watching it while it was on the air. AMC really hosed up the advertising, it ended up being a completely different show than advertised.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Inspector Hound posted:

On the flip side, it seems like a more honest and even realistic depiction of Washington than whatever Sorkin bit, and sometimes it outright forecasts the future.

At some point, the saying was that The West Wing was the government we wish we had, House of Cards is the government we think we have, and Veep is the government we actually have. The first bit of that is true for a pretty narrow definition of what the West Wing was, and I think the last 6 years or so have really put a spotlight on the Veep aspects of the government, but I like it anyway.

My favorite part of Veep is that it eventually falls into the same interpersonal dynamic of Archer, where eventually no one can exchange more than a line or two of dialog before telling someone to go gently caress themselves in ever more creative ways. It's an insane dynamic and I love it.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Nihonniboku posted:

I binged through both seasons of Lodge 49 this week, and wow, what a great show. I regret not watching it while it was on the air. AMC really hosed up the advertising, it ended up being a completely different show than advertised.

Lodge 49 is hands-down my favorite show of the last few years and I’m bummed that it was cancelled after two seasons. The amount of thought that went into world-building for a show ostensibly about a Southern California underachiever was very impressive.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Edward Mass posted:

I don’t know, it’s hard to beat the ending montage of Eastbound and Down

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Nihonniboku posted:

The Little Lebowski

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

https://twitter.com/jawrote/status/1398465158910038020?s=20

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Cruella alleges to be set during the "70s punk revolution" so I'm gonna watch it and see if that statement is just mostly or entirely bollocks

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Simone Magus posted:

Oh I was talking about the French miniseries about people mysteriously just coming back from the dead like nothing had happened, but yeah that movie is good too!

You know, because I watched both recently while looking for French and French-Canadian horror, I got them mixed up: I was talking about Les Affamés, not Les Revenants. Although Les Revenants the series and the movie are both good.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Plan B, which is streaming now on Hulu, is pretty funny.

Two of the best leads I've seen in a teen comedy in a long time.

Mr. Toodles
Jun 22, 2004

I support prison abolition, except for posters without avatars.

Boxman posted:

My favorite part of Veep is that it eventually falls into the same interpersonal dynamic of Archer, where eventually no one can exchange more than a line or two of dialog before telling someone to go gently caress themselves in ever more creative ways. It's an insane dynamic and I love it.

Seriously. Just the way they berate each other is incredibly funny. It's a show that even on rewatch my stomach hurts from laughing so hard.

what are you running on higher taxes and episiotomies? makes me laugh out loud just thinking about that line.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Finally got around to watching The New Mutants and honestly it's not only totally fine but I liked it a lot?? How was this in movie purgatory for 3+ years???????

yes I know some of it was due to the Fox sale and rights issues with mutant characters but I was expecting it to be poo poo and it definitely was not!!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I liked that New Mutants was a pretty faithful adaptation of the first arc of the comic and the casting was good, it just kinda felt like it forgot to have a third act and the whole thing was kinda... muted

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
I was putting it off as well then saw it yesterday and also thought it was really good. I know there a pretty low standard to get over but I felt it was one of the best X-Man universe movies. Anya Taylor-Joy's Magik was outstanding, perfect casting, great actress, and it's a complete shame we will never see her again. An all around shame they went out of their way to kill this movie and squander something that had a lot of potential.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
I do enjoy that they put off releasing New Mutants for reshoots but never got around to doing the reshoots before the teen actors aged out so we got the directors weird bad teen movie. We got the original vision with no studio meddling and welp.

SunshineDanceParty fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 30, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Hacks on HBO is very good. One of the funnier shows on any streaming platform.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

There is so many super heros and artistic styles from comics that don't lend themselves to live action well. Body powers that turn into outlines like human torch and sunspot are some.
Then there is stuff like my favorite, The Maxx