Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Are there any games similar to Dark Souls or Sekiro that isn't hard as hell, but also isn't super anime? Is Nioh 2 what I'm looking for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Explorer posted:

Are there any games similar to Dark Souls or Sekiro that isn't hard as hell, but also isn't super anime? Is Nioh 2 what I'm looking for?

Nioh 2 is absolutely not what you're looking for, if you want reduced difficulty. Unfortunately I don't have a good different recommendation for you either. My immediate response would be The Surge 2 but it can also be pretty difficult. SW Jedi Fallen Order has Sekiro's combat in dollar store form but is still a ton of fun if you want to go that route and has difficulty settings.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for the heads up on that. I played Fallen Order, but didn't get super far. I think the environment puzzles turned me off.

Apparently, I needed to have kept playing console games over the years because now when I sit down to play on a TV I don't know what to play.

[edit: Hmmm... Maybe Immortals Fenyx Rising is something like I'm looking for. Might give that a shot.]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 29, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Chivalry 2 owns. I wasn't sure if I was ready for another Chivalry after bouncing hard off of Mordhau but I'm really digging this beta.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

similar to fallen order i stuck with the surge 2 long enough to 100% it so i can’t say i hated it but i will say once you figure out the combat system it becomes extremely, gruesomely repetitive

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

It's longer than usual, but it's probably because they have a flood of new players with the 50% off sale. According to their support twitter, they are working on it. I've had this happen a couple of times since I've been playing and they usually work it out without too much trouble. Once they had a bigger issue and people lost progress, so they just gave everyone who played on those days a couple of 100K in gold. That's not typical though.
https://twitter.com/SoT_Support/status/1398511942399102977

Alright, on the one hand, good to know I'm not crazy and there's an acknowledgement, on the other hand the number of people in replies who are going "FFS NOT AGAIN" doesn't instill the greatest confidence. It's a step up from, "Game stopped working. Why? PIRATE GHOSTS," though.

Now as I'm waiting for this to clear up Steam suddenly credits me 8 items (not cards, but avatars, avatar frames, profile backgrounds, emotes) from this game which I have never bought or played. The hell is going on lately???

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Internet Explorer posted:

Nioh 2 is definitely not what you're looking for, it's both very difficult and extremely anime at times.

I'd say you should check out Hellpoint, I didn't find it very hard, though it's also not very polished. The easiest souls-like I've played is definitely Code Vein, which is unfortunately also the most anime game I've ever played in my life.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
How do I shaman in Shadowrun Hong Kong? I was able to summon a spirit once in the tutorial... I think I clicked on something in the environment but I don't remember what it was. My character has one spell, the cobra thing, and it's displayed but nothing happens when click. At least one more spell is "unlocked" but nowhere to be seen. Do I have to buy my magic?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

explosivo posted:

Chivalry 2 owns. I wasn't sure if I was ready for another Chivalry after bouncing hard off of Mordhau but I'm really digging this beta.
It's fun I am glad the beta is open so I could try it out as I would never buy anything like this blind, but I think I am sold.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

reposting for new page, this is a good game.

Fart of Presto posted:

Little Nightmares is currently free to keep until May 30 at 7PM (Valve time)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/424840/Little_Nightmares/

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I've played nioh 2 exclusively in expeditions coop with my brother and it's a fantastic game + also not very difficult when you play it that way. in singleplayer I can tell would be both difficult and infuriating as hell. Nioh multiplayer is implemented vastly better than dark souls.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Mescal posted:

How do I shaman in Shadowrun Hong Kong? I was able to summon a spirit once in the tutorial... I think I clicked on something in the environment but I don't remember what it was. My character has one spell, the cobra thing, and it's displayed but nothing happens when click. At least one more spell is "unlocked" but nowhere to be seen. Do I have to buy my magic?

By "the cobra thing" I assume you mean the Cobra totem, but that's a passive ability you selected so you don't use it. The Shaman starting kit should also include the Haste I spell and a spirit summoning fetish which is an item, provided you actually put at least a few points into the shaman skills like Conjuring at character creation. The rest you'll have to buy or find, yeah.

The ? button in the UI opens up the explanation stuff, Shaman and summoning things is in there too. I will say that one of the party members is also a shaman and unlike the player, doesn't have to spend very precious money on one-time summoning items, so they tend to have an easier time at it. I'd probably recommend a mage for a beginner, they're strong with a lot of spell variety and there is no other dedicated mage in the party, but you can definitely beat the game with a shaman too.

I also strongly recommend using the Hong Kong Bugfix Compilation from Nexusmods or Steam Workshop, HK is a good game but was left pretty unpolished and that'll fix up a lot of the bigger issues.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on May 29, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Graven is in early access and the reviews so far are mixed. The demo I played a few months ago seemed promising, but people are saying that's kind of all there is to it at the moment. Hoping things will improve somewhat before it goes to final release. Has anyone purchased it?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The Early FPS thread has more buyers of Graven. They said the EA is mostly barebones currently, no big surprise. On the topic of its demo, does anyone actually have it installed anymore? It's been scrubbed from the internet, which I understand given modern game dev trends, but I'd still like to give it a try

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Albion Prelude is an interesting game. The only time I played it, I visited a trading station and played the ingame stock exchange for like 6 hours straight until I basically owned the universe, then got bored and quit.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kanfy posted:

By "the cobra thing" I assume you mean the Cobra totem, but that's a passive ability you selected so you don't use it. The Shaman starting kit should also include the Haste I spell and a spirit summoning fetish which is an item, provided you actually put at least a few points into the shaman skills like Conjuring at character creation. The rest you'll have to buy or find, yeah.

The ? button in the UI opens up the explanation stuff, Shaman and summoning things is in there too. I will say that one of the party members is also a shaman and unlike the player, doesn't have to spend very precious money on one-time summoning items, so they tend to have an easier time at it. I'd probably recommend a mage for a beginner, they're strong with a lot of spell variety and there is no other dedicated mage in the party, but you can definitely beat the game with a shaman too.

I also strongly recommend using the Hong Kong Bugfix Compilation from Nexusmods or Steam Workshop, HK is a good game but was left pretty unpolished and that'll fix up a lot of the bigger issues.

Thanks. And drat. My class has to buy its main attack thing every time I want to use it? ...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it’s been ages since i played but i think once you’ve bought a consumable it “recharges” between missions. that might just be the npc teammates though

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Mescal posted:

Thanks. And drat. My class has to buy its main attack thing every time I want to use it? ...

The Spirit Summoning skill lets you call a spirit from specific points on the battlefield. You can buy consumable fetishes to summon a spirit anywhere.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Glare Seethe posted:

Thanks for the summary. It sounds cool - I'd have liked to play through it - but also feels like the kind of stuff where you have to start following a guide (or have assistance from kind strangers on an internet forum). I always prefer getting general hints if I need a nudge rather than explicitly being told what to do, but when general hints don't cut it anymore is when I start losing interest. This feels like one of those times, so I feel okay about missing out on this. It's also why I'm not going to chase Grandahl for the other boss you mentioned - if it's a whole process to do it, and I've only ever met that dude once in my 70 hours in Drangleic, there's no way I'm going to organically discover any of it, and following a guide sucks the joy out of the playing for me.

I'm glad I was able to help you along. I'm the polar opposite - I'm more than happy to absorb every last obscurity via a wiki and become an insufferable know-it-all and never miss a thing in these games, specifically because they go way overboard with it. I hope I at least did an alright job of not totally bowling you over with reams of spoilers. :)

Finding Grandahl's other haunts isn't that bad. It's just that between you and Darklurker are three mini-dungeons. I guess the best way to describe them is imagine the runback to Blue Smelter, but instead of an annoying and gimmicky enemy gauntlet it was a bunch of invader NPCs (and potentially real invaders) like in the Belfry. Considering how much you loved the Gank Squad you might get a kick out of them, but maybe not. (You also have to pay an admission fee of a human effigy for each attempt, so if you're low on those it would mean you'd have to go buy/farming for more, which obviously wouldn't be fun.) Basically it's a little more fun to check them off as you go than suddenly needing to do them all back to back for the privilege of getting your rear end kicked by Darklurker.

Glare Seethe posted:

With the DLCs, just getting to them in the first place was already a bit roundabout. I think they could've been contexualized a little better in that sense. Do the Vendrick stuff first, then have him initiate the player's quest for the three crowns, something like that. On the other hand, given the whole Vendrick thing is very optional, that would mean a lot of players would miss out on the DLCs. Dunno.

I think they were hamstrung by Scholar being a psuedo-Director's Cut rerelease. They clearly wanted to make their placement more organic than the "Congratulations on purchasing the DLC, Chosen Undead, here's your key!" style of the original version but also couldn't really add anything new or substantial to support them, so they just kinda stuffed them away in vaguely appropriate spots that had convenient progression checkpoints associated with them. At least they had something to build off of, compared to DS1 where the DLC is so drat awkward and arcane to access.

Glare Seethe posted:

I do want to mention the online components. I was very hesitant about leaving them on, being a strictly singleplayer person, but since there's no built-in offline mode in this one I decided to give it a try rather than disconnect the cable every time I wanted to play or whatever. It was fine. It's at its worst for me when there are too many messages and bloodstains, both because it negatively affects atmosphere and immersion and because it's a lot of visual noise that demands attention, even if just to ignore it. You get used to it, but I'd have liked a menu setting to either turn them off (and leave ghosts on) or reduce the number of them. One or two per area is okay, especially if they are actually helpful in finding illusory walls, for instance. Not one or two per corridor, though. I definitely don't need to read another "fatty ahead" or "hurrah for jumping!" ever again. Overall I'd say the occasional funny or helpful message isn't worth tolerating the rest and I'd have welcomed the ability to tailor the online stuff to my liking.

I kind of did enjoy the little PvP I did, though, which I was surprised by. I even went looking for it a couple of times as a break from the main game.

Yeah, I don't mind their presence personally though I do also find myself tuning them out a lot of the time. And for every genuinely helpful or funny message there's about 100 more that are "try jumping (off this cliff that's certain death lol got ya)" or every goddamn bent over corpse having a message about "but hole"s. And of course all the gross poo poo slapped down near every female character.

And I was the same way with PVP. Just like how when you first start DS1 it's easy to get so nervous you start assuming at any second you're gonna take one step forward and 10 enemies are gonna jump you from behind and then a trap door is gonna open out from under you and you fall down and you permanently die and it wipes your save file...you think every invader must be a professional PVPer who's come to make you suffer. When in reality most invaders are actually about as competent as you are. I'm not always in the mood to be invaded, but I've also only had a few really bad experiences with online stuff (one really early in the game of my current DS1 playthrough and a handful really late in my second DS2 run) and they didn't outweigh the good. And I like having that low-stakes, instant fun release valve of "eh, don't feel like making progress, lemme just slap down a summon sign/pop a red eye orb and see what happens".

Glare Seethe posted:

So overall I'm still undecided about online for DS3, but knowing it has an actual offline mode I'm inclined to go with that, really.

Probably for the best. DS3 once again does things totally differently and instead of the more straightforward invasion mechanics of 1 or the experimental and structured covenants in 2 things tend to turn into a big clusterfuck. Like me and a friend start to co-op an area, but oh wait that area is a protected zone for one of the PVP covenants so we get invaded by area guardians, but that's okay my covenant calls the cops and a blue phantom shows up to help against the invaders and suddenly there's like six players in a big brawl. The network is literally designed to funnel groups of players together like that. Players are also more agile and estus is more plentiful so you tend to get a lot of situations where if a player can survive with 1% HP left they can just roll roll roll away to safety and heal right back up and basically hit the reset button. So not only is it gankers ganking gankers ganking gankers, none of them will just die already so you can get back to what you were originally doing.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

explosivo posted:

How is the archer spam? That made me give up Chivalry since you can drop dead without seeing any archers at all.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Hwurmp posted:

The Spirit Summoning skill lets you call a spirit from specific points on the battlefield. You can buy consumable fetishes to summon a spirit anywhere.

Yeah, pre-set environmental summoning spots let you summon an extra powerful spirit for free and zero risk that lasts for 2 turns, while consumable items summon a weaker one anywhere you want and which can also last for longer than 2 turns, but with increasing chance of them breaking out of your control. The consumables eventually cost so much money in proportion to how much you earn though, that most of the time a player shaman forgoes them completely and is primarily a support caster throwing around buffs and barriers, using the pre-set summoning spots whenever there's one around. They do get a lot of "free" dialogue etiquettes being the only Charisma-based archetype though, and speaking is what you do most of the time in that game.

The crew shaman works the same way (minus the speaking part) but since party members replenish their own consumables for free, she can be a lot more liberal with the whole spirit thing and generally gives you the Full Shaman Experience by herself. You can always just bench her of course (though most people really like her personality) and I've beaten that game as a shaman myself, it's not a major issue or anything.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on May 29, 2021

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
So I got Tales of Berseria and Tales of Zestiria through the humble bundle. There seems to be some debate on the best order to play them in, with many people saying to just skip Zestiria altogether. Does anybody have any opinions on this?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Scalding Coffee posted:

How is the archer spam? That made me give up Chivalry since you can drop dead without seeing any archers at all.
It didn't seem bad to me, and since they are easy to kill it seems fairly well balanced. I got killed maybe twice by archers alone. I have only played about 20 matches though, but the game is free right now so give it a shot.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

So I got Tales of Berseria and Tales of Zestiria through the humble bundle. There seems to be some debate on the best order to play them in, with many people saying to just skip Zestiria altogether. Does anybody have any opinions on this?

Berseria is a prequel by like a thousand years or so. It’s also better so start there.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

zestiria is flat-out bad and not worth playing if you’ve got any better games around; berseria owns and its connections to zestiria barely matter

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

dmboogie posted:

zestiria is flat-out bad and not worth playing if you’ve got any better games around; berseria owns and its connections to zestiria barely matter

Isn't there something about how they set up the combat system that it was so overly complex that to fix it they just patched it so combat became trivial?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

reposting for new page, this is a good game.
Yeah Little Nightmares was fun, great art and design, people should absolutely grab it for free.
I'm looking forward to playing the sequel.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I liked Berseria a lot. The outfits for a lot of the characters are ridiculously sexualised but the actual characters are great, and particularly there are some really solid female characters. Also when the inevitable happens to your idyllic village (spoilers for every RPG I guess) I actually got quite upset. It was effective for me!

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Kanfy posted:

Yeah, pre-set environmental summoning spots let you summon an extra powerful spirit for free and zero risk that lasts for 2 turns, while consumable items summon a weaker one anywhere you want and which can also last for longer than 2 turns, but with increasing chance of them breaking out of your control. The consumables eventually cost so much money in proportion to how much you earn though, that most of the time a player shaman forgoes them completely and is primarily a support caster throwing around buffs and barriers, using the pre-set summoning spots whenever there's one around. They do get a lot of "free" dialogue etiquettes being the only Charisma-based archetype though, and speaking is what you do most of the time in that game.

The crew shaman works the same way (minus the speaking part) but since party members replenish their own consumables for free, she can be a lot more liberal with the whole spirit thing and generally gives you the Full Shaman Experience by herself. You can always just bench her of course (though most people really like her personality) and I've beaten that game as a shaman myself, it's not a major issue or anything.

How do I get my first barrier? It's unlocked or whatever but not available

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Light Gun Man posted:

they often are based on real political situations though. its probably more like "we are using this real thing as inspiration to make money off it but please ignore that"

cowardice

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I finally got around to beating Antichamber, nearly a decade later. Can't believe I let myself get intimidated & stressed over it, the seemingly sharp learning curve is over quickly and it was a delightful ~6hr romp of getting my head hosed with.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does the baba is you dev post here or is it just that guy who has the avatar about it :thunk:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Does the baba is you dev post here or is it just that guy who has the avatar about it :thunk:

Hempuli, the Baba Is You dev, definitely posts in the Baba Is You thread at least!

Strix is the girl with the avatar iirc

Edited to the correct pronouns

Artelier fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 30, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

PC Gamer/Facebook posted:

Ken and Roberta Williams are working on a game they say will excite traditional Sierra fans, according to Facebook.

:ohdear:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Every single decision has an option that is successful but leads to an unwinnable game.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artelier posted:

Hempuli, the Baba Is You dev, definitely posts in the Baba Is You thread at least!

Strix is the guy with the avatar iirc

Girl! I have she/her pronouns.

Also I think it was Hempuli himself who gave me the avatar when I admitted to cheating and looking up a level’s solution. My eternal shame.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

Also I think it was Hempuli himself who gave me the avatar when I admitted to cheating and looking up a level’s solution. My eternal shame.

My apologies, I didn't mean to misgender you! Edited post above

Also that is a great avatar backstory, no shame.

...I still haven't finished Baba Is You. I fire it up every couple of months or so because I'd suddenly wake up and have the answer to a level I was stuck at. At this rate I might be done with the game around 2028?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Artelier posted:

My apologies, I didn't mean to misgender you! Edited post above

Also that is a great avatar backstory, no shame.

...I still haven't finished Baba Is You. I fire it up every couple of months or so because I'd suddenly wake up and have the answer to a level I was stuck at. At this rate I might be done with the game around 2028?

It's okay!

Also I beat Baba Is Your and got to the credits rolling and....was too stupid to really continue. I tried a bunch and it's beyond me. I appreciate how it's kinder than Stephen's Sausage Roll up until then.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Softporn Adventure 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would never knock someone for looking up a solution in Baba is You. I really enjoyed the game but I am dumb as hell. Just an absolute clod. I hit a wall at some point and didn’t have it in me to proceed.

Even though I couldn’t finish every level, I wish the dev all the success in the world for making such a fun (albeit frustrating at times!) and unique game.