Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I said come in! posted:

I know one person that is really into it, and I don't understand why. The only thing it really has going for it is the gacha mechanic because the characters you can collect are pretty cool looking, but that is the only thing it has going for them. None of the characters though have any personality at all, or connection to anything familiar. The game hasn't had any crossovers with other games that I am aware of.

It runs very well on the ps5 and looks nice but like... it’s a sloppy botw mixed with sloppy DMC combat with some element stuff thrown on to justify gacha rerolling to build the elements you need.

I might actually like the combat but so far the gacha is so so stingy I have like only free characters and wouldn’t know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Also on Horizon talk - please patch horizon to run better on a ps5 so I will play it. Thanks

(Also death stranding. Also bloodborne)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Aloy looks perfectly fine.

Goons these days, jesus.

:lol:

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah that, but additionally I was only half joking about the general face bias of Guerilla, them dudes are a bit distinct and have strange ideas about 3D face design going way back to their early projects, and I don't know if it's local cultural bias (likely!) or just some influential people at the studio who gravitate towards the sort of ultraflesh of 16th Century flemish art, but their house style is pretty unmistakable to me and also very very weird.

Aloy's child model is so 'Rubensesque' it's almost freaky, but most of the facial models of the original Horizon game are this way to a greater or lesser degree and you just get used to it, but they happen to be animated better than child Aloy ftmp. The comparison within Sony is probably Naughty Dog with the TLOU games for various cultural and technical reasons; ND's style across UC3, UC4, LL, TLOU, Left Behind, and 2LOU definitely gravitated towards emphasizing certain elements of a 'painterliness' (especially with TLOU) that vibrates against HD photorealism, and along with a rather high bar for acting and mocap [as Tea mentioned, very few studios are operating on GG or ND's level] counteracts most of the uncanny valley effect in motion, but also just happens to look superb in stills. What should be noted is ND's specific focus on small facial blemishes and asymmetries in their character modelling process (often noted by their artists during conversation) compared with Guerilla's more statuesque facial symmetry.

For sure. I think the reason the faces in Horizon get brought up is that they trigger this uncanny valley response more than a lot of games. If you look at a Bethesda game the faces just kind of look like poo poo, like someone who can't draw very well had their creation realized in 3D, Bioware characters look like blow up dolls. There isn't much to talk about there they just look bad. But in Hoirzon, the faces are well designed, but there is something about the way they are stylized and the less than perfect animation that can trigger a weird response from some people. I definitely agree it's a style GG uses that predates Horizon. And I don't personally dislike it, but it definitely causes these brief moments sometimes where things look off and I'm just like "agh, get it off the screen"

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The world of Genshin is fun to explore and I liked doing all the little puzzles and stuff but somewhere around adventure rank 35+ doing anything involves hours of grinding the same bosses and dungeons over and over again to ascend your characters and weapons, unless you want to turn the world level down and get zero rewards for anything. I checked out then rip

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Vikar Jerome posted:

its the motion of it, i think because its a designed model and not a face scan and other characters are face scanned? i dont know, death stranding didnt have this problem. but the movement of her face during the cutscene looks noticeably weird. like in that static screenshot it looks fine but in motion? doesnt flow correctly. will probably get fixed, im sure they read our posts.
Facial animation (or just animation in general) isn't one of their strong suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

American McGay posted:

Facial animation (or just animation in general) isn't one of their strong suits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUpPYvELLB8

wasn't that leaked before the game released and it actually was a lot better/fixed or am I misremembering

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Aloi looks like she has alcoholic bloat. Do they have boxed wine in the future she’s from?

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I wouldnt want to live in a future without box wine.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Jesus, what the gently caress did they do to her face

You ever do this thing, it's a terrible mistake, where you don't see somebody for a long time and if it's a woman it's like, "Wwwait a minute, what the hell happened?" If there's any woman that I know, I try to see them every damned day so the changes don't sneak up on me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The first game is based around Colorado I think. No wine, only porters.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

as if any of our 2017/2021 comparison pics look any better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/kotaku/status/1398706416827998216?s=21

This game sucked and now it got owned. Literally couldn’t even give it away

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Bust Rodd posted:

I’m way more into the idea of it being bot based at least. The core gameplay was okay I guess but I’m tired of multiplayer games. It might better if I could just boot it up and work over some mediocre bots for a half hour while I wait for food delivery or something.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Walrus posted:

I am trying to pick up HZ:D again after like two years. I'm further along than I thought, level 18 and I guess I did go to Meridian, it's visible on the world map anyway. But I'm just not getting this - I'm picking back up at the bottom of some grave hoard, and I've got to kill this armoured tank and like 8 really tanky dudes. I have no idea how to dodge some of these attacks, the square slide sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. I really kind of hate the controls, the running feels so weird coming off of the incredibly smooth Returnal. I've managed to kill all the bad guys but then I get murdered by the tank - the tooltips tell me to use shock bombs to expose the weak points and then hit them with fire arrows, which I've tried a ton of times but don't seem to do more than chip damage. I don't seem to have a bow that can equip shock arrows even though I have them in my arrow inventory... the inventory and menu system itself is fairly inscrutable coming in cold, I kind of just want to restart but I didn't like the beginning all that much and it seems like I might now be getting to 'the good part' but I'm at a very bad part to get there. I dunno. Think I'm just gonna play some Nier.

Pour fire arrows on the Deathbringer, he'll overheat and expose the cooling rods or whatever they are. When they pop out, hit them with either hard point or precision arrows. If you're feeling really uppity, hit them with your blast sling. For basic movement, just stay back and keep diving in a wide circle around it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bust Rodd posted:

The gameplay itself was quite fun. I think I put more hours into it than most people (15 maybe?). Sadly it was a colossal failure in every other conceivable way. Some of the worst netcode I have ever seen. Half my deaths would just be me cruising around at full health and randomly exploding. Dire lack of levels and modes, the funnest modes being gate kept to solo and being unable to play in a party. It ha obnoxious character design. I don't think I talked to anyone that liked it. Baffling gameplay design at times. Worthless unlockable stuff. Like, they are trying to sell you premium currency for 5 palette swaps for each character...

It's really the poster child for how to do everything wrong in a multiplayer game. Which is sad because I thought the bones of it were good enough it could have been a success, but they royally hosed up absolutely all of the little stuff and even a lot of big stuff.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

World brothers is my goty

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

There's this old joke I love: "I can tell you're lying... Your lips are moving."

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

cvnvcnv posted:

You ever do this thing, it's a terrible mistake, where you don't see somebody for a long time and if it's a woman it's like, "Wwwait a minute, what the hell happened?" If there's any woman that I know, I try to see them every damned day so the changes don't sneak up on me.

Are you determined to become the thread heel here or what's going on? Go away.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

The Walrus posted:

Are you determined to become the thread heel here or what's going on? Go away.

Whoa, no need to keep this going. All the off-topic and no content posting in my name is needless so let's spare the thread from now on. Are we in agreement, which surely the mods would tremendously appreciate? Artists have a painterly touch and there's no doubt you gentlemen can throw umbrage at me in subtle and creative ways as to keep the thread hospitable. Help me out, please!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

veni veni veni posted:

The gameplay itself was quite fun. I think I put more hours into it than most people (15 maybe?). Sadly it was a colossal failure in every other conceivable way. Some of the worst netcode I have ever seen. Half my deaths would just be me cruising around at full health and randomly exploding. Dire lack of levels and modes, the funnest modes being gate kept to solo and being unable to play in a party. It ha obnoxious character design. I don't think I talked to anyone that liked it. Baffling gameplay design at times. Worthless unlockable stuff. Like, they are trying to sell you premium currency for 5 palette swaps for each character...

It's really the poster child for how to do everything wrong in a multiplayer game. Which is sad because I thought the bones of it were good enough it could have been a success, but they royally hosed up absolutely all of the little stuff and even a lot of big stuff.

I had fun with it but either due to the netcode or the size of matches it felt like a lot of time was spent waiting for gameplay to start. And if you do Survival, you can die within ten seconds of getting control of your character and then you have minutes to wait to try again. Mayhem mode was not inherently more fun but it guaranteed a certain amount of playtime and reinforced it being the default mode. And the problem with having a preferred, default mode is that several of the characters are clearly designed to be good in some modes and not others so you end up being and fighting against copies of a limited number of characters.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Casnorf posted:

There's this old joke I love: "I can tell you're lying... Your lips are moving."

Its good

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Pour fire arrows on the Deathbringer, he'll overheat and expose the cooling rods or whatever they are. When they pop out, hit them with either hard point or precision arrows. If you're feeling really uppity, hit them with your blast sling. For basic movement, just stay back and keep diving in a wide circle around it.

Thank you sir, that did it. I didn't realize roll spam was so powerful lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Lobok posted:

I had fun with it but either due to the netcode or the size of matches it felt like a lot of time was spent waiting for gameplay to start. And if you do Survival, you can die within ten seconds of getting control of your character and then you have minutes to wait to try again. Mayhem mode was not inherently more fun but it guaranteed a certain amount of playtime and reinforced it being the default mode. And the problem with having a preferred, default mode is that several of the characters are clearly designed to be good in some modes and not others so you end up being and fighting against copies of a limited number of characters.

The single worst thing to me was that it basically outright discouraged playing with friends. The two team based modes were mediocre and even when you were playing with a group it was impossible to coordinate in any way because there was really no way to tell who was who, due to the tiny name plates and your party members having the same badge color so there was zero potential for team work.

Ultimately the only thing all of wanted was to play mayhem, the most fun mode and smash into each other and play against each other, but that mode was blocked from playing in a party.

There was just no incentive to gets friends together to play which seems really bad for an online game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Is anybody itt playing Knockout City? It's a really fun 3v3 dodgeball arena that I've put a ton of hours to over the last week. It has crossplay with PC but I have no idea if it's part of the Sony ecosystem.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Take me down to the Knockout city

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played it for a night its fine. It seems deep and has lots of room for teamwork . They are going to turn on the exploitative mtx in a few weeks when this trial is over so im less interested in getting really into it

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

it should have had bots to begin with tbh

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Catching the ball in knockout city seemed super random and I hate the “dodge” move that doesn’t actually dodge poo poo. Otherwise it seemed decently fun. Not a fan of the art direction though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Why is ea so dead set on making a kids pvp game with season passes instead of motherfucking titanfall 3

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Where are you reading about season passes?

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
because apex legends needs to be a forever-game for them, so much so that respawn is handling a mobile port

Although I see they made some VR Medal of Honor game last year that won an Oscar? lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

f#a# posted:

because apex legends needs to be a forever-game for them, so much so that respawn is handling a mobile port

Although I see they made some VR Medal of Honor game last year that won an Oscar? lol

Specifically a doc within the game won an Oscar.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i just finished watching vg play tlg. im not crying, u are :(

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Link to archive plz

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

mcbexx posted:

Aloy looks perfectly fine.

Goons these days, jesus.

lol

cvnvcnv posted:

lmao

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Real hurthling! posted:

Link to archive plz

https://twitch.tv/videos/1038196452

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

...lmao

the sheer temerity

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ANYways

playing SMT3 Nocturne rn and goddamn does this game have remarkable style and just an amazingly creative and bizarre overarching idea for the world you explore, just wild.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Nocturne is what really got me into SMT as a series, and I have to stop myself every day from buying the remaster since I already spent All Of The Money on EDF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Casnorf posted:

Nocturne is what really got me into SMT as a series, and I have to stop myself every day from buying the remaster since I already spent All Of The Money on EDF.

It must've been hard to remaster this game on such a limited budget given how niche a title it must be now in the grand scheme of things