Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I didn't play XI until after I played XII (TZA) and I loved XII. I was (and am) a massive MMO addict though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Evil Fluffy posted:

I know Yoko Taro has a rep for being extremely weird but this is just a terrible idea period.

You can't see the final ending of the original Nier without deleting your save game entirely

In Automata they made it optional but it was still heavily encouraged to "sacrifice" your save to help others in an actually very cool moment

It would've been cool if there was some sort of potential permanent effect the raid had on your character but that goes against pretty much everything FF14 stood for. Imagine they brought back FF11's level downs just for this one dungeon

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Imagine they brought back FF11's level downs just for this one dungeon

haha yeah imagine that

https://twitter.com/nova_crystallis/status/1091994619385184256

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wiki seems to say so but I honestly can't remember if/when it's stated in-game. He could certainly have been behind it.

Admittedly I'm not sure why it was needed to assassinate Raminas. The treaty-signing was an act of surrender in all but name, annexing Dalmasca was basically just a show of power.

From a week ago but since I just started playing the game again (what can I say, it just clicks with me in a lot of respects)...

Vayne is part of the whole theater he and Gabranth put on for Reks. I don't mean behind the scenes, he's actually in the cutscene. "We *were* going to let Dalmasca keep some of their sovereignty, but since you've done such a terrible thing you people can't be trusted." "Dalmasca will never bow to you!" "And her people will curse you for it."

Leave Raminas alive and Vayne could still have the unconditional rule he desired, but resentment would be directed at him. Create a scapegoat and not only will the people's bitterness be directed away from him blunting active resistance, but he has an excuse back home. Larsa, for example, believes his brother to be a good man at first and it's all a misunderstanding. The facade may be paper-thin and the actual political players (including his father) know Vayne's a bastard, but the facade serves a purpose nonetheless.

Also, leaving old rulers around is so sloppy, gives the people someone to rally behind even if the person's capitulating. Ashe would be out of the picture too if Ondore hadn't faked her death.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Harrow posted:

FFXII has some of the best English voice work in the series so this is a good call. Balthier alone is worth it.

I wish they'd re-recorded some of it. Vaan in particular sounds pretty bad, like he recorded his lines on a cassette player. It actually reminds me of the way some characters sound in the original Spyro games but I don't know enough about audio to know why.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh right I never got into eureka/Bozja forgot this was a thing

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Oh right I never got into eureka/Bozja forgot this was a thing

You can't actually rank down in Bozja, you just lose mettle. Eureka actually levels you down (and then you forget, go and try and kill the things you were fighting before and immediately die again...).

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

stev posted:

I wish they'd re-recorded some of it. Vaan in particular sounds pretty bad, like he recorded his lines on a cassette player. It actually reminds me of the way some characters sound in the original Spyro games but I don't know enough about audio to know why.

Something I've never really thought about before is that Xenosaga Episode II came out around the same time as FFXII.... a year or two apart I think. Okay looking it up it's two years but still kinda close in time and both on the PS2. They're the only JRPGs I've played like this and dunno why. Something about space on the disk?

Original Xenosaga was on I think something called a dual layer DVD. I had a friend in Australia back then who really wanted to play it(those poor souls only got Episode II. A crueler fate I cannot imagine) but knowing about this special kind of disk was important in...ya know.

But anyway, maybe FFXII is just too huge. FFXII HD is bigger than both FFX and X-2 HD combined.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

NikkolasKing posted:

Something I've never really thought about before is that Xenosaga Episode II came out around the same time as FFXII.... a year or two apart I think. Okay looking it up it's two years but still kinda close in time and both on the PS2. They're the only JRPGs I've played like this and dunno why. Something about space on the disk?

Original Xenosaga was on I think something called a dual layer DVD. I had a friend in Australia back then who really wanted to play it(those poor souls only got Episode II. A crueler fate I cannot imagine) but knowing about this special kind of disk was important in...ya know.

But anyway, maybe FFXII is just too huge. FFXII HD is bigger than both FFX and X-2 HD combined.

My friend only played episode II because it had a cool chick on the cover.

The only thing I know about the game is that they say Albedo and Rubido a lot.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

My friend only played episode II because it had a cool chick on the cover.

The only thing I know about the game is that they say Albedo and Rubido a lot.

They do. And the battle system consists of waiting a good 6 seconds before every fight: 2 seconds for the transition and 4 seconds for the models to individually load as you sit staring at nothing in silence.

I've never seen that before, either. Xenosaga II is a very unique game.

But my point was just that EP1 had dual DVD thing and each subsequent Xeno game was just put on two normal DVDs. Maybe FFXII and EP2 were tryingto conserve disk space with their horribly compressed audio. That's al li can guess being totally tech illiterate.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Certain models of the PS2 had trouble reading dual layer DVDs, especially early models, so they probably stopped using them after getting complaints.

The Zodiac Age has better quality audio for voices than the PS2 versions, right? But they still sound pretty muffled. Maybe they couldn’t record in a proper sound studio with decent mics. MGS1 had to be re-recorded for the Twin Snakes because you could hear cars passing by in the uncompressed audio.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I do audio engineering and can probably answer this! Short answer is yes, it is due to compression. Why XII’s VO audio sounds so wonky is its complete lack of dynamic range - if a line is whispered or screamed, it’s at the same “volume”, for simplicity’s sake. This introduces distortion. For XII, you notice it especially when someone makes an “s” sound. This lack of dynamic range allows for the audio file to be smaller than if it included the full spectrum. When you encode an audio file at a lower bit rate, it crushes the dynamic range, while also starting to lop off a lot of the higher frequencies, which is why it starts to sound muffled.

For TZA, I actually didn’t notice too much of an improvement in audio quality. This makes me wonder if a) they couldn’t find the uncompressed files, or b) if it was actually recorded at a low bitrate for some bizarre reason, maybe in anticipation that it would be squashed and save on processing time?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

jokes posted:

XII is much maligned by people who didn’t play EQ/FFXI or CRPGs I think, because FFXII appeals heavily to people who liked those things.

I played those games. 12 is still bad.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

HD DAD posted:

I do audio engineering and can probably answer this! Short answer is yes, it is due to compression. Why XII’s VO audio sounds so wonky is its complete lack of dynamic range - if a line is whispered or screamed, it’s at the same “volume”, for simplicity’s sake. This introduces distortion. For XII, you notice it especially when someone makes an “s” sound. This lack of dynamic range allows for the audio file to be smaller than if it included the full spectrum. When you encode an audio file at a lower bit rate, it crushes the dynamic range, while also starting to lop off a lot of the higher frequencies, which is why it starts to sound muffled.

For TZA, I actually didn’t notice too much of an improvement in audio quality. This makes me wonder if a) they couldn’t find the uncompressed files, or b) if it was actually recorded at a low bitrate for some bizarre reason, maybe in anticipation that it would be squashed and save on processing time?

My understanding is they did not have the uncompressed files. It was mentioned that audio would be improved but not fixed in the promotional stuff.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Oh neat, FF4 turns 30 in a couple of months.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I played those games. 12 is still bad.

Unfortunately, you are wrong tho

FF12 is actually both fun and cool

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

Wow, same!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The remaster is really nice visually. The textures are like brushstrokes rather than the usual uprezzed mess of pixels and it all feels very warm, especially in Rabanastre.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
zodiac age fixed a lot of what i hated about original ff12 (namely everyone having the same licenses and the game speed being excruciatingly slow) so i think that specific version is good

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

TZA is good, but PC FF12 with some overhaul/QoL mods? Baby you got yourself a stew!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

There is something hosed up about how the Ivalice games treat Bangaa.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mega64 posted:

As the pre-eminent martial race? They're by far the strongest in my FFTA playthroughs.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mega64 posted:

FF4 turns 30 and FF10 just turned 20. FF14 is already 12

What is time

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Maybe I should say more the characters in the Ivalice games. Bangaa are treated fine as far as mechanics and stuff go, at least for the standard “this fantasy race is good at X while this fantasy race is good at Y” thing in RPGs go.

Now I want to see a hack for the TA games that lets all races be all jobs, though that’d be hell to mod in even without getting into all the custom sprites necessary...

Still, I want Moogle Assassins, kupo.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mega64 posted:

The worst part is that Bangaa, Seeq and Moogles make up a huge proportion of FFXII's population but the party consists of five humans and a rabbit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

What is time

And FFXIII-2 turns 10.

Also still a couple more months to go for FFX, even longer if we count NA release I need time to play other games! FFX 20th anniversary run gotta wait.

Also if anyone wants an FFX mod, lemme know. It's interesting. Not the hardest mod I've ever seen, just changes up gameplay like boss moves, buffs not being permanent, etc..

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

My FF XII story is I couldn’t stand the fucker on PS2 and dismissed it as a really brown looking offline MMO.

The Zodiac Age introduced enough changes and QOL improvements that my opinion changed and I came to greatly enjoy the environments, flowery dialogue, and gameplay loop of doing tons of hunts and unlocking new skills and gear.

It’s good. But largely thanks to having the option to speed up gameplay and assign multiple jobs per character.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

What is time

Time is mostly fine, for me the really wild thing to think about is that there was only ten years between Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy X.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Kanfy posted:

Time is mostly fine, for me the really wild thing to think about is that there was only ten years between Final Fantasy IV and Final Fantasy X.

There were 6 mainline games in the '90s, 5 in the '00s and 2 in the '10s. :( I wouldn't be surprised if XVI is the only one to release in the '20s.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Well one of the '10's games got realised twice lol

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"the voice acting's audio quality is really loving weird" is the first thing I thought while playing this game so no I don't think they improved it at all for TZA

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They did what they could I think, but the original, uncompressed audio files don't exist anymore so there was only so much that could be done short of rerecording the whole thing.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Probably not why most people play FF, but if Disco Elysium could do it, not sure what Square's excuse is. VO talent gets paid more I guess.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
tbf DE had to do it. They couldn't get back all of the original actors and when your game needs full voce acting now you don't want the character's voice to start switching mid conversation.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Even in JRPG circles Nier Replicant just came out with rerecorded VO.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
FF 12 is probably in my top 5. 9 is my favorite and 14 is my 2nd favorite, Shadowbringers in particular.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

stev posted:

Even in JRPG circles Nier Replicant just came out with rerecorded VO.

Well there was no English voice acting for brother Nier so I guess they figured they might as well go whole hog

Mega64
May 23, 2008

That's a blockbuster series like NieR though, not some budget niche franchise like Final Fantasy.

(How much money did they spend on the development of FF14 and FF15 alone? Of course they've made their money back on both and then some, but still.)

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Weren't they unable to get a hold of Gabranth's VA anymore, hence why Keith Ferguson voices him in the Dissidia games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine they thought about it and some compressed audio wasn't deemed to be enough of a problem to warrant spending money and time on hiring the actors again, renting out the studio space, paying audio engineers, etc etc.

For Nier that wasn't an option since new content and a new protagonist and all. I suppose they could have Tales of Vesperia Definitive Edition'd it but I don't think anyone should be doing that.

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 30, 2021