Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Akuma posted:

I couldn't get into the 60fps raytracing because it felt way too compromised.

I had hand cramp issues with the DualSense until I started turning off trigger resistance.

I have diagnosed tendonitis and my hands were hurting after Astrobot's Playroom back in December. Turned off the trigger haptics and haven't looked back.

It was neat but not so revolutionary that my hands needed to hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Playing more than an hour of Astro's Playroom made my index fingers hurt, same thing with the web swinging in Miles Morales. The adaptive triggers are really cool, but I'm just gonna turn them off for the time being. Also, count me in as someone who found the DS4 to be much more comfortable to use during long play sessions. The Dualsense has made me realize the benefits of offset analog sticks on a bulky controller.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if the DualSense had offset analogue sticks I think it would be literally the most perfect controller I could possibly imagine

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

drat I'm the opposite. DS4 mostly felt great to me but it was something I had to adapt to. Dualsense is the first controller where everything just feels perfect to me. it feels like the best parts of both Sony and MS's controllers. I have straight up not felt more natural or comfortable with a controller before.

That's rad, yeah, I think I'm in the minority and I just have smaller hands, but I also never liked the 360 controller at all and additionally if I never had to use another analog trigger on a controller again it would be too soon!

The idea that Sony doubled down on triggers this hard and made a more expensive controller where they are more annoying is almost astonishing to me.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I mean I played a lot of the SMT games and even I hit Matador in the re-release and was like wait what the hell is this

Yeah, I'm there now and he's a piece of poo poo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
For anyone having trouble with Matador and may not have haven't found this yet in SMT: Nocturne: Check one of the side-doors in the sewers near where Matador drops in to ruin your day. There's a vendor with the Force-aligned Magatama for sale.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The DualSense is the most comfortable controller I've ever used, and my favorite since The Duke. I physically can't play on most portable systems and even portable play on my switch hurts if it's an action game. I'm sure all you tiny humans out there have your favorites but, haha, this one's great for me. I also really like the variable resistance triggers especially since my arthritis and tendonitis flare up hard from holding one position too long or repetitive motions. That variance just shakes things up enough that I can actually play games for any length of time...assuming I have that much time to play, haha!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I'm surprised the trigger resistance isn't an issue for you. Even at low settings it can be a bit much for me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

The idea that Sony doubled down on triggers this hard and made a more expensive controller where they are more annoying is almost astonishing to me.

It’s because most people feel differently to you, hth

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
So most people like the triggers?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I'm just sad they didn't improve on the one issue I had with the DS4, the battery life. It's almost as if the Dualsense's is worse. I was really hoping they'd address that.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Rinkles posted:

I'm surprised the trigger resistance isn't an issue for you. Even at low settings it can be a bit much for me.

I haven't had any problems related to it -- my wrists are still essentially non-functional, but the bit of resistance variance helps keep the joints from screaming like a cicada.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

I'm just sad they didn't improve on the one issue I had with the DS4, the battery life. It's almost as if the Dualsense's is worse. I was really hoping they'd address that.

The battery life is because of the touchpad having to be always on iirc. There's not a whole lot that can be done about it, and there's now probably additional power usage for the variable trigger resistance.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

That’s right!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

fridge corn posted:

Also the game looks really dark all the time and it's impossible to see anything clearly but maybe that's just my tv/display options

I have to turn HDR off when I play Valhalla. I don't know if it's just implemented poorly in that game or if messing with the settings enough would eventually get it looking decent.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
It really sucks that you can’t use DualShock 4 on ps5 games. It’s not like the input is any different, you just lose out on the fancy rumble and trigger feedback.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Veeg back on that Demon’s Souls biz: https://www.twitch.tv/videogamessa

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No problem with the DualSense here, apparently my hands are the only part of my body not breaking down lol

Battery life seems to vary wildly depending on the amount of haptic use but so far it doesn't run out as fast as my old DS4's at least.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Gutcruncher posted:

It really sucks that you can’t use DualShock 4 on ps5 games. It’s not like the input is any different, you just lose out on the fancy rumble and trigger feedback.

Maybe they'll add support in a future firmware update?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BisterdDave posted:

It's possible (and realistically they should because there's a SHITLOAD of DS4's in the wild), but more likely it's siloed off like the PSVR hardware in that it's supported as legacy but once they're gone, they go nice and clean and Sony don't have to give a poo poo about supporting them anymore. Sony doesn't even have to care about it impacting backwards-compatibility because DualSenses work just fine for that.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

I doubt it, they were very explicitly blocked from use while non-DS4 controllers were all allowed to work. Maybe I’m just being greedy, it wasn’t that long ago where PS3 controllers didn’t work on PS4 unless the game itself had some Mike z patch and you had to have a DS4 plugged in in addition to your PS3 controller.

And hell, even that was better than older generations of “always get new controllers no matter what, even if they function the same”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sakurazuka posted:

Battery life seems to vary wildly depending on the amount of haptic use but so far it doesn't run out as fast as my old DS4's at least.

Yeah, it lasts way longer when I’m playing PS4 games than it did during Returnal or something, but even when I’m playing PS5 stuff I’d say it lasts ever so slightly longer than the DS4 did. It’s far from the best battery life but like with the DS4 it was never enough to bother me

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Real hurthling! posted:

Anyone else finding the grip on dual sense puts a slight strain on their hand? Never felt this in my thumb/wrist on ds4 and if i switch to ds4 i dont feel it anymore

Yes, but I didn't like the ds4 much either. The way PS controllers tilt away from the wing part never feels good to me. Greatly prefer the Xbox controller.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
I still have yet to hold one, but most people swear by the Xbox Elite controller. The Xbox One controller is great, the DS4 is great, and the Switch Pro controller is great. They really nailed it last gen.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Xbox Elite controller looks amazing except for those weird prongs on the back. If I was a PC gamer I’d probably buy one.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I like them so far, yeah. Between Souls, RE8, a bit of that Destruction Derby game and Astro Bot there has been a nice variety, driving and gun triggers in particular are super satisfying.

FWIW I did turn off general vibration, which I've done since PS3 days. Triggers don't bother me though. No preference between DS4 and 5 but the PS3 one was wayyy too small for my hands.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

Xbox Elite controller looks amazing except for those weird prongs on the back. If I was a PC gamer I’d probably buy one.

Pretty sure you can remove those. It's hard for me to justify spending >$150 for a controller when I already have a perfectly fine Xbox One controller for my PC.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

BisterdDave posted:

Or boob sizes

Oh ya Tifa's boobs reduction, the biggest tragedy of 2020 after covid.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Ulio posted:

Oh ya Tifa's boobs reduction, the biggest tragedy of 2020 after covid.

Or Morimura's in 13 Sentinals, which are not that big to begin with, compared to previous Vanillaware characters.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Rinkles posted:

I find them to be a serious gaming win

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

cheeseboy58 posted:

I find them to be a serious gaming win

In general I think the dualsense is way better than DS4. I use my ds4 for my pc games now but it still feels too small. I feel like the dualsense is the perfect size, the old xbx360 controllers felt a bit too big.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

BisterdDave posted:

Or Morimura's in 13 Sentinals, which are not that big to begin with, compared to previous Vanillaware characters.

You need to play Stretch Panic.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Gutcruncher posted:

I doubt it, they were very explicitly blocked from use while non-DS4 controllers were all allowed to work. Maybe I’m just being greedy, it wasn’t that long ago where PS3 controllers didn’t work on PS4 unless the game itself had some Mike z patch and you had to have a DS4 plugged in in addition to your PS3 controller.

And hell, even that was better than older generations of “always get new controllers no matter what, even if they function the same”
It's most frustrating because you can use a DS4 to play PS5 games through Remote Play. So since I only had one DualSense but a million DS4s, the only way my kids could play Sackboy together without buying an expensive controller was to pull out the PS4 Pro and play it through that from the PS5 using Remote Play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Escobarbarian posted:

Returnal is the only game I’ve had this issue with so far and I’m very sure it was from me playing it too hard lmao

DualSense is the perfect size for my hands. DS4 was a little too small for me, but this feels excellent to hold and use.

Im only feeling the strain in games that use the right trigger as the main button.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Real hurthling! posted:

Im only feeling the strain in games that use the right trigger as the main button.

Yeah, wondering if I should try turning off the adaptive triggers when playing R1-heavy games.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Real hurthling! posted:

Exactly same

That said, I love the adaptive triggers and haptic feedback and think they really add a tactile “next-Gen” feel to my games.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah definitely same

Whoever told Veeg to go for Royal in DeS: you are my enemy!!!!!!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Imagine being the guy that chose to add adaptive trigger to Tony Hawk

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Universally the only response I saw to FF7R Tifa was "She's perfect, they made her hotter than ever"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tifa abs were :eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
It’d be real cool if Um Jammer Lammy was ported to the PS5.