Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

cryptoclastic posted:

It was done command line. Is one method preferred over the other? I am very very new to Linux. I ended up just deleting the install and then just redoing it.

Docker-compose is a better approach for long running things that you may want to tinker with or alter later. As for the “more folders” thing, you can mount as many directories as you’d like wherever you’d like so just toss another -v /path/to/your/data:/place/in/container or three in there and you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cryptoclastic posted:

It was done command line. Is one method preferred over the other? I am very very new to Linux. I ended up just deleting the install and then just redoing it.

That's basically what you have to do to change any of the variables you pass to a docker container - docker stop, docker rm, then docker create with everything you put in the first time along with whatever you're changing.

But:

Warbird posted:

Docker-compose is a better approach for long running things that you may want to tinker with or alter later. As for the “more folders” thing, you can mount as many directories as you’d like wherever you’d like so just toss another -v /path/to/your/data:/place/in/container or three in there and you should be good to go.

I finally switched over to docker-compose and I don't know why I spent so long not using it. Now you can easily edit your docker-compose.yml to change whatever, then do a docker-compose up -d and it kills/recreates anything that changed in one command. Container updates are also done with just two commands, one to pull and then the same docker-compose up.

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
Sounds like I definitely need to invest a day or two into learning how to use docker-compose, as it is much more movable. I am planning on eventually buying a NAS so that's why I decided to move to Linux now.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I use plex to watch 1080p content on my lan and sometimes my friends use it. I might upgrade to a 4k setup eventually but no time soon.

I am thinking of getting an nvidia shield pro and a 4 tb drive, to replace both my plex server and the ps4 I use as a media stream box. Have read mixed things online, people who get it working seem to love it.

Is anyone here doing this? The power consumption differential would pay off the shield in 8 months. I am curious how well it works in 2021 and also if the plex server on the shield gets the usual update channel.

Also curious the most brain dead way to set up the hdd so that i can write to it from a local windows or bsd machine.

This might be an intermediate step, in that if the plex server needs outgrow the shield pro i might add a NAS later, shield pro seems generally useful anyway, and I would like to free up this pc for music production stuff.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 22, 2021

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
So thanks to your input here I managed to get everything set up with docker-compose, and I must say, everything is MUCH nicer. It is so much easier to just edit the file and then reload it.

Now, however, I think I am running into some problems with my Plex/NZBGet/Transmission/Sonarr setup. One big reason I wanted to set this all up was so I could use hard links. However, I don’t think they are actually working right now. It looks Sonarr just copied the files to my media folder. Right now my NZBs aren’t automatically moving either. Sonarr gets them and they download, but they don’t auto import. I think I have somehow set things up wrong.

Here are the volume settings from my .yml files from each program

Plex
volumes:
- /media/name/External/Media/:/config
- /media/name/External/Media/TV:/tv
- /media/name/External/Media/Movies:/movies
- /media/name/External/Media/Music:/music
- /media/name/External/Media/Audiobooks:/audiobooks

Sonarr
volumes:
- /home/name/dockers/sonarr:/config
- /media/name/External/media/tv:/tv #optional
- /media/name/External/downloads/complete:/downloads #optional

Transmission
volumes:
- /home/name/dockers/transmission:/config
- /media/name/External/Downloads:/downloads
- /home/name/Downloads:/watch

NZBGet
volumes:
- /home/name/dockers/nzbget:/config
- /media/name/Extrrnal/downloads:/downloads

Home is on the computer’s SSS where I have installed Ubuntu, and Media is an external drive where I keep all the media.

So, docker gurus, how can I change these so everything places nicely? Where did I go wrong?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Start out overriding the entrypoint with /bin/sh and hand run it like:

Docker run -it --rm --entrypoint /bin/sh -v /my/dumb/directory:/whatever mydumbcontainer

Make sure you can read the files.

Edit: oh and type "getenforce". Selinux might be stopping you.

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 03:33 on May 23, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Two things that jump to mind:

1) Case matters, you have some going to foo/media/tv and some to foo/Media/TV
2) I'm 99% certain Sonarr/Radarr primarily "move" files by telling the download client to move it. You might need both your download clients and sonarr/radarr to both have mappings to your final media folders.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I am thinking of getting an nvidia shield pro and a 4 tb drive, to replace both my plex server and the ps4 I use as a media stream box. Have read mixed things online, people who get it working seem to love it.

Is anyone here doing this? The power consumption differential would pay off the shield in 8 months. I am curious how well it works in 2021..

reading back a bit it seems like one or two people might be doing this, also the Shield Pro looks like a fine stream box to replace my ps4 and the best answers to my other questions are probably discovered through guides from Google and practical experience.

trip report incoming, I'd rather avoid the linux or NAS route if possible if for no other reason than I think docker is a good idea implemented questionably and documented worse, and it's bad enough to have to troubleshoot it for salary.

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

Is anyone here doing this? The power consumption differential would pay off the shield in 8 months. I am curious how well it works in 2021 and also if the plex server on the shield gets the usual update channel.

The shield is great client, minus the android app deficiencies, that hopefully will continue to improve.

As a server, is great as long as you only ever experience 2-3 simultaneous transcodes. If your friends all jump on at the same time, you’ll all be unhappy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
If your intention is to torrent and janitor your files using a PC, you're probably better off using an NAS than attaching storage to the Shield

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I use my Shield Pro as a server but it connects to a file server that has all the video files. It works great. I have been doing it for 4ish years that way. I can have a decent amount of streams going ( transcoding and direct play ) but I have a gig symmetrical fiber connection that helps minimize the need for transcoding and I do not allow anyone to watch on a browser for the most part.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

TheScott2K posted:

If your intention is to torrent and janitor your files using a PC, you're probably better off using an NAS than attaching storage to the Shield

I may end up heading this direction but I am going to start with the Shield's notoriously buggy network sharing mechanism, and then go from there.

Burden posted:

I use my Shield Pro as a server but it connects to a file server that has all the video files. It works great.

that's cool, but I am trying to get away from running a PC 24/7. If I end up needing to drop a NAS into the mix, so be it, starting with a $80 4tb USB3 drive. I also don't tend to add stuff more than every couple weeks so if I am doing a sneakernet for now with an external HDD, also not that big a deal.

Mostly happy no one has replied "oh for the love of god don't do THAT"

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

I may end up heading this direction but I am going to start with the Shield's notoriously buggy network sharing mechanism, and then go from there.

that's cool, but I am trying to get away from running a PC 24/7. If I end up needing to drop a NAS into the mix, so be it, starting with a $80 4tb USB3 drive. I also don't tend to add stuff more than every couple weeks so if I am doing a sneakernet for now with an external HDD, also not that big a deal.

Mostly happy no one has replied "oh for the love of god don't do THAT"

I guess I was just trying to say that it works well as a server and if you have the hard drive plugged into the Shield directly it shouldn't be an issue. Should have been more clear!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Burden posted:

and I do not allow anyone to watch on a browser for the most part.
Is this something you can do?

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

my plex server does this weird thing where it SAYS it cant be accessed from outside my LAN but then ive managed to access it from literally a completely different city

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Is this something you can do?

allowing, or disallowing?

Anyone who has access to your plex server, generally, has access to the web client through https://app.plex.tv as far as I know.

If you are logged in as an admin you can see the various settings for the web player under "Plex Web".

I don't see an option to just completely disable the web player; unsure if there is something I am overlooking, or if Burden is doing something more complicated at the network level.

hbag posted:

my plex server does this weird thing where it SAYS it cant be accessed from outside my LAN but then ive managed to access it from literally a completely different city

I know it well. If I click "retry", generally this is replaced by "fully accessible!" green text. In either case, my out of state father is able to watch stuff on his Fire tablet :shrug:

In my case I was actually triple NAT'd, which was worse -- so now my AmpliFi is just set as a rebroadcast for my ISP router which is handling most routing, but all my IoT stuff is on a mostly seperate network, and some Plex clients connect to that. So, the Plex server computer is connected to both networks through two different interfaces :allears: -- that won't be possible once I move to a Shield Pro, but, as the main thing that was accessing it through the secondary network was the PS4 I use as our main client, that problem goes away and maybe that whole IoT network can actually be fully divorced from my main network.

In any case, sorry for the wall of text, upshot "plex networking difficult sometimes even under normal circumstances, and the weirder your topography gets the worse it gets"

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

hbag posted:

Do you have the relay proxy enabled? It's in Settings > Network.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I'm trying to move my Plex server into a docker container (currently running the native DSM app) and I have an issue where remote access is working when it's installed on the NAS directly but not working when running as a docker container. Anyone have experience with this?

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I'm guessing all you cool people already know this, but in case not I'm just gonna throw this here:

Plex amp (dedicated audio player for Plex) has an Android app, and if you use your Plex library for music it is WAY better than the official Plex app.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

emocrat posted:

I'm guessing all you cool people already know this, but in case not I'm just gonna throw this here:

Plex amp (dedicated audio player for Plex) has an Android app, and if you use your Plex library for music it is WAY better than the official Plex app.

Is it better than it was at launch? When I first tried it my music would intermittently pop and crackle and when I looked it up it was a common problem so I just gave up on it

emocrat
Feb 28, 2007
Sidewalk Technology
I have used the windows app for a while without issue, but only found the android app about a week and a half ago. So far, I have no complaints.

Audio is fine, hasn't crashed at all, works seemlessly in the background and stores what I tell it to locally without issue.

So yes? Based on my last week I would suggest giving it a second chance. I'm using it on a pixel 3a for reference.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Been using Plexamp on my iPhone for months and it’s been pretty solid. Only found the sleep timer yesterday though, so that’s either relatively new or hidden well enough from me to not notice (it and a few things are in a menu you get when you tap the songs name while it plays).

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I thought the plexamp app was surprisingly good. I also really like their library radio algorithm/playlist generator

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Cool, I would like to try it again! The addition of a driving UI, ugly as it is, is nice for me since the regular Plex app is kind of fiddly to navigate when you're at a stoplight or something.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Incessant Excess posted:

I'm trying to move my Plex server into a docker container (currently running the native DSM app) and I have an issue where remote access is working when it's installed on the NAS directly but not working when running as a docker container. Anyone have experience with this?

Are you exposing/mapping the port?

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus
My Docker odyssey is going well enough, thanks to the advice here and the servarr wiki. I think I have my file structure set up right, and now a Sonarr request moves to NZBGet.

Now, however, I still can’t get hardlinks working. I think I need to mess around with user permissions in my docket-compile files, but maybe I typed things wrong? I put UMASK=002 into all of them but this same problem persists.

code:
2021-06-01 07:54:38.5|Debug|MovieFileMovingService|Hardlinking movie file: /data/torrents/movies/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv to /data/media/movies/Movie (1992)/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv
2021-06-01 07:54:38.5|Debug|DiskTransferService|HardLinkOrCopy [/data/torrents/movies/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv] > [/data/media/movies/Movie (1992)/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv]
2021-06-01 07:54:38.5|Debug|DiskProvider|Hardlink '/data/torrents/movies/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv' to '/data/media/movies/Movie (1992)/Movie.1992.720p.BluRay.X264.mkv' failed.

[v3.2.0.5048] System.InvalidOperationException: Operation not permitted
 ---> Mono.Unix.UnixIOException: Operation not permitted [EPERM].
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Mono.Unix.UnixMarshal.ThrowExceptionForLastError()
   at Mono.Unix.UnixMarshal.ThrowExceptionForLastErrorIf(Int32 retval)
   at Mono.Unix.UnixFileSystemInfo.CreateLink(String path)
   at NzbDrone.Mono.Disk.DiskProvider.TryCreateHardLink(String source, String destination) in D:\a\1\s\src\NzbDrone.Mono\Disk\DiskProvider.cs:line 450
Is this a user permissions problem? Sorry for bothering everyone else with this. If it would be better for me to take it to the serverr Discord let me know.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Ok I'm at work so I can't troubleshoot this myself right now, but is there something weird I need to do to add custom video files to Plex? There's two I'm trying to add to the movies section, and I have them in the right folder but they're not showing up after a scan. I figure I probably need to edit the metadata on the file itself, but I didn't know if there was something else I needed to do. Everything I'm seeing after a quick skim in google is from 5+ years ago and for setting up a custom "home movies" library. I don't need anything like that, I just want them to pop up in my movies library like everything else.

Edit: poo poo nevermind. I just remembered that the external I use doesn't like being unplugged from my computer and will delete everything I just put on it unless I go through and disconnect it in the file manager first. I've been connecting to my Shield (that I run Plex off of) remotely for so long I forgot, but my Shield is being prissy with remote connecting lately so I had to do it manually. At least it's an easy fix lol.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 3, 2021

Violator
May 15, 2003

I’m a digital pack rat and I recently moved a bunch of videos I had saved into Plex as a Video library so I could more easily watch them. Stuff like old wrestling, old documentaries, etc.

I have a big collection of audio like long gone podcasts, radio shows, etc that I should dump into plex and use Plex amp for.

I realized all of this poo poo I’ve been saving for like 20 years is wasted just sitting on a hard drive and if it’s in Plex than at least I could watch it. Although watching it will probably reveal it’s all dog poo poo and should be deleted. :p

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You get it. It's kinda fun too. The one thing I don't like about PlexAmp for podcasts is that (unless there's a setting I've not spotted) it won't remember where you've left off. So you kinda have to mentally remember where to jump back in if you're like me and tend to do things over multiple listening periods.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

EL BROMANCE posted:

You get it. It's kinda fun too. The one thing I don't like about PlexAmp for podcasts is that (unless there's a setting I've not spotted) it won't remember where you've left off. So you kinda have to mentally remember where to jump back in if you're like me and tend to do things over multiple listening periods.

I think you actually have to change that setting on the server itself but I might be talking out of my rear end completely

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

RichterIX posted:

I think you actually have to change that setting on the server itself but I might be talking out of my rear end completely

I think it is there under library options.

However I don’t know if it works with PlexAmp. I have it enabled for my audiobooks but it doesn’t seem to remember where playback was.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, spotted the setting but at least now I don’t have high hopes and won’t be too disappointed if it doesn’t do anything.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cryptoclastic posted:

My Docker odyssey is going well enough, thanks to the advice here and the servarr wiki. I think I have my file structure set up right, and now a Sonarr request moves to NZBGet.

Now, however, I still can’t get hardlinks working. I think I need to mess around with user permissions in my docket-compile files, but maybe I typed things wrong? I put UMASK=002 into all of them but this same problem persists.

/data/torrents and /data/media are on the exact same filesystem right? `mount | grep /data/` shows you exactly one line? Hardlinks cannot cross filesystem boundaries. If you have two -v options in docker this might break it. Caveat: I've never used a hardlink inside a docker container. You might need a capability or a selinux label.

If you jump into your container and hit `ls -la /data/torrent/my.linux.iso` , `ls -lad /data/torrent` and `ls -lad /data/media` what do you get?

Also what's this option you found?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I've created a library on my Plex server for a specific user, is there a way for them to "mark" a movie so I know when I can delete it?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Incessant Excess posted:

I've created a library on my Plex server for a specific user, is there a way for them to "mark" a movie so I know when I can delete it?

If you install Tautulli on your server you can browse the playback history to see when a user has watched/finished watching a movie or show.

[edit] https://github.com/Tautulli/Tautulli/releases/tag/v2.7.3

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Plex setup on the Shield Pro was painless; $200 (plus $90 in peripherals, $129 for a 6tb drive and and $20 for an HDMI splitter so I can optical out to my receiver) later and I am up and running. I recovered $150 in costs by selling my PS4 which was only used as a just-alright plex headend.

It seems to work. I shut the old PC down, so it's cooler and quieter in that area of the house now. Assuming this proves out to be a long term solution, I am going to reclaim that PC as an audio workstation, but given how little time I put into that, it will run an hour a week if I am lucky.

Because I got this as a Plex solution, everything else is just added value to me. I am experimenting with the from-your-own-PC game streaming that Geforce Now provides, if I get a chance later I will gently caress around with CyberPunk and Doom on the projector downstairs with the shield controller and see how that goes. I also played Magic Arena through Geforce Now on my projector, which was cool but ultimately that's unlikely to be worth $10/mo to me, especially if I can do the same things from my own (beefy) PC over the LAN. Having Google Spy on the remote makes me roll my eyes; I don't like the privacy implications but I do have a bunch of things set up in google home and being able to control various lights directly from the same remote we're watching TV with isn't the worst thing. The dedicated netflix button should gently caress off though.

I see that there is a Plex Shield Server beta channel that can be opted in to on google play; I have not done that. I probably won't until I have some problem that I hope it to solve.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Check out Playnite for GameStream streaming to your Shield, makes things so much easier. https://playnite.link/forum/thread-252.html

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

The dedicated netflix button should gently caress off though.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/30/shield-tv-remote-remap-netflix/

Just google and I bet you can find someone selling Plex stickers just for that reason.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Bonzo posted:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/30/shield-tv-remote-remap-netflix/

Just google and I bet you can find someone selling Plex stickers just for that reason.

thanks for this! I was wondering if anyone might have attempted something like this but now I see it works and there may even be templates floating around for the stickers someone WAS selling but appears to have sold out of a year ago.

Enos Cabell posted:

Check out Playnite for GameStream streaming to your Shield, makes things so much easier. https://playnite.link/forum/thread-252.html

thanks for this, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cryptoclastic
Jul 3, 2003

The Jesus

H110Hawk posted:

/data/torrents and /data/media are on the exact same filesystem right? `mount | grep /data/` shows you exactly one line? Hardlinks cannot cross filesystem boundaries. If you have two -v options in docker this might break it. Caveat: I've never used a hardlink inside a docker container. You might need a capability or a selinux label.

If you jump into your container and hit `ls -la /data/torrent/my.linux.iso` , `ls -lad /data/torrent` and `ls -lad /data/media` what do you get?

Also what's this option you found?

The option I was talking about was related to playback position saving in music libraries.

And I ended up fixing the problem. My external where I keep all my media was in exfat, and apparently you can’t do hardlinks in exfat! I reformatted the drive and now everything seems to be working perfectly. Finally!