Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Handsome Wife posted:

They really just saved all the best stuff in TLOU2 for the second part, huh? I kind of found the Ellie section to be a decent but less-interesting follow-up to the first game, but pretty much everything about Abby's section is awesome, from the characters to the weapons. And holy poo poo the set pieces, Seattle Day 2 was amazing.

I'm convinced they did this deliberately also to try and get people to like Abby more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I just wanna know why a disproportionate amount of Sony AAA western first-party game protagonist's look like alcoholic truckers... The Last of Us, Days Gone, nuGod of War, Spider-man (the PS4 version. Somehow the "younger" PS5 version looks creepier tho) and now Horizon... I shudder to think of what they'll do to poor Jin in the next Ghost of Tsushima game...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

withoutclass posted:

Better to copy paste their bad post and claim it as your own imo.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Lumpy the Cook posted:

I just wanna know why a disproportionate amount of Sony AAA western first-party game protagonist's look like alcoholic truckers... The Last of Us, Days Gone, nuGod of War, Spider-man (the PS4 version. Somehow the "younger" PS5 version looks creepier tho) and now Horizon... I shudder to think of what they'll do to poor Jin in the next Ghost of Tsushima game...

From bald marines to alcoholic truckers, I feel like the videogame industry is taking inspiration from my neighbors.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

VideoGames posted:

What build should I have gone for? Do you want me to restart? I am really not that far through I do not think. I could redo it.

Finished today after nearly evading a massive arrow machine past a krang ball of bald dudes and I am pretty lost but having fun. It is an odd game comparing them all.

:)

No, Royal is good, you can stay back and snipe mooks if you run out of healing items, or you're low on health, plus you have the silver coronet which increases your max MP by 20% and the fragrant ring which slowly refills your MP, which is just nice to have as a back up even if you decide to do a strength build and mainly use a sword. At least I played as a royal my first time and I had a good time with it compared to my first attempt at the original which was frustrating, even after I had beaten every Soulsborne game besides DeS, because I kept dying in 1-1 and not getting any healing grasses.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Handsome Wife posted:

They really just saved all the best stuff in TLOU2 for the second part, huh? I kind of found the Ellie section to be a decent but less-interesting follow-up to the first game, but pretty much everything about Abby's section is awesome, from the characters to the weapons. And holy poo poo the set pieces, Seattle Day 2 was amazing.

Personally I think Abby's section should've been first in the game, because it's just a long parade of "lol, this person is gonna diiiiie later..." and you've got the confrontation in the theatre hanging over you the entire time to take out any real risk to Abby before that moment. Having it start with Abby makes the whole "there's an intruder" stretch more interesting with the actually-sudden appearance of Tommy, and makes Ellie's murder list that much more grim because they're now the player's friends you have to go off in the latter half.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Lumpy the Cook posted:

What the gently caress are you even talking about?

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Personally I think Abby's section should've been first in the game, because it's just a long parade of "lol, this person is gonna diiiiie later..." and you've got the confrontation in the theatre hanging over you the entire time to take out any real risk to Abby before that moment. Having it start with Abby makes the whole "there's an intruder" stretch more interesting with the actually-sudden appearance of Tommy, and makes Ellie's murder list that much more grim because they're now the player's friends you have to go off in the latter half.

That's a compelling argument but I really love the way it was done. Also re: Handsome Wife's post - Ellie's section does have some excellent moments imo, like the car chase/crash sequence. I also love all the little moments, just walking around in the bookstore talking about how people used to think mushrooms were cool, for example. The way it is, it's a gut punch, a ramp up, and then another gut punch (forcing you to play as Abby), and then more ramping up. I think the way they did it was masterful. I felt like I was in a feverish near panic attack throughout the whole game, which I think was the goal. Also, switching to Abby from Ellie leaves this lengthy cliffhanger about what will go down next, that, for me kept me playing. They lure you in with the character you care about and then get you to care about another. If you'd had to be Abby right away most people would've gone "gently caress this bitch, I'm out" instantly, but they push you into the time investment before loving with you.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

caldrax posted:

That's a compelling argument but I really love the way it was done. Also re: Handsome Wife's post - Ellie's section does have some excellent moments imo, like the car chase/crash sequence. I also love all the little moments, just walking around in the bookstore talking about how people used to think mushrooms were cool, for example. The way it is, it's a gut punch, a ramp up, and then another gut punch (forcing you to play as Abby), and then more ramping up. I think the way they did it was masterful. I felt like I was in a feverish near panic attack throughout the whole game, which I think was the goal. Also, switching to Abby from Ellie leaves this lengthy cliffhanger about what will go down next, that, for me kept me playing. They lure you in with the character you care about and then get you to care about another. If you'd had to be Abby right away most people would've gone "gently caress this bitch, I'm out" instantly, but they push you into the time investment before loving with you.

While I agree it's still great as-is, Having "the future" hanging over the entire Abby stretch just created a constant "are we there yet??" feeling wanting to get back to playing as Ellie for me, and made it feel like a side-trip rather than a proper half of of the game (it was still good by its own merits though). One of the big elements of The Last of Us 2 is just how utterly wretched and petty revenge is, and it'd work much better if it didn't have a whole section of "this revenge thing is actually working out kinda well!" before getting to the last one to feel bad about it. It'd also show much worse Ellie's getting as a person when you know the ones she's vilifying aren't that objectively evil rather than just "she kills like Joel now". There's also a complete lack of tension like in Ellie's route because we know Abby will get to that theatre in three days intact and unharmed. The game's already lied anyway, because Joel was in all the trailers :v:.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

The game has a really ambitious structure, which makes it quite fun to theorize about what the effect would be if it were put together in different ways. Not a lot of games you can say that about imo

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While I agree it's still great as-is, Having "the future" hanging over the entire Abby stretch just created a constant "are we there yet??" feeling wanting to get back to playing as Ellie for me, and made it feel like a side-trip rather than a proper half of of the game

I can see having this feeling, and I sort of did too, to a point, except my brain read it as dramatic tension, because I was just worried about what the outcome would be the whole time, and it also strengthens the impact of the moment where you realize they're going to force you to fight Ellie as a boss, where I was saying out loud to the screen "please don't make me do this!" Had it been reversed I don't think that section, which to me is one of the highlights of the game, would've been effective, or possibly able to be done at all (imagine not knowing everything Ellie went through to get to that point, you're just Abby, you get there and now suddenly Ellie is there, you're fighting her, you don't know any of what she went through to get to that point, you're just going "what? why am I fighting the protagonist of the first game?") Players have had an entire first game of getting attached to Ellie and turning that on it's head from the beginning of the game would be extremely off-putting. It was already a hard ask to make people play as Abby for even a few minutes before she kills Joel. What you're describing could have *some* impact here and there but overall people would just be spending a huge portion of the game going "who is this, why should I care about her?" Whereas getting thrust into her role after you've been made to hate her by the entire game that came before it, and then learn to empathize with her, makes everything that comes after play reverts to Ellie that much more impactful.

Re: "this revenge thing is working out well" - I would argue that it's a stretch to think that during much of the game, she's definitely killing a lot of people she perceives as having wronged her, but she's losing her humanity, straining her friendships, kills a pregnant woman, gets people she cares about killed, etc. A huge part of the game is taking the indiscriminate murder that the player revels in performing and slowly peeling away the layers of just how monstrous those actions are. To be thrust into a role of a character you don't know or care about before you've seen what's been wrought against her people would be especially alienating "Ok I'm in seattle? Who are all these whistler factions killing each other?" It'd be like waking up with amnesia.

Without luring you into a false sense of your own righteousness, there's no impact when you suddenly realize how not righteous you are. It'd just be a constant stream of loathing one character and then giving the player the satisfaction of killing all the people they forced you to play with after she killed your beloved Joel at the beginning of the game. It'd have the opposite of the intended effect of the game and make players feel completely vindicated in their revenge fantasy. Also just from a pacing standpoint, all that cool stuff happens in Abby's section partly to keep the pacing flowing, doing all that and then suddenly doing the slow burn of Ellie's portion of the game would pump the brakes really hard.

Sorry if this post got redundant and up it's own rear end a bit, I just worked two very long days and should've gone to bed an hour ago but I guess I needed to brain-dump some thoughts on this game (one of my favorites of the last several years). Now I need to do a replay, it's been almost a year already? Wow.

Now if it were on PC and someone did a mod to do what you were saying... That'd be cool. Like watching Memento in chronological order or something.

edit: oh also just one last thought before i crash out for the night

One thing I love is how the game somewhat echoes the first with the perspective switching, I had just seen the movie The Place Beyond The Pines (which I thought had a pretty ambitious structure) before I played the first game, and when I got to Ellie's section of that game I was sitting there with my mind blown, I was like "did this game just kill the protagonist, and now I'm playing as her? Did they really do that?" They didn't, but it felt ballsy regardless, so when the second game took that kind of mindfuckery to extremes, with the perspective switching, I was very, very pleased.

caldrax fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 31, 2021

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Escobarbarian posted:

If it makes either of you feel better, then having magic has not meant the game is easier for me. Right now I am definitely floundering around and the game has been smacking me down the whole of yesterday.

I have done 1-1,1-2,2-1.

In 4-1 I got to the Adjudicator and died to some move that went through the floor, which seems pretty unfair - I did not have any time to figure out how to get down there. I do know the level layout pretty well and did a lot of exploring. Those rollerbones though were a pain in the bum before I got my dragonsword+1

I tried 3-1 and have been having the most fun there, even if I am pretty poor at avoiding the Davy Joneses. The Krang ball was funny. The massive artillery bombardment is not, but I very nearly got past it!

In 2-2 I met good old patches and had a lot of fun exploring but died in the tunnels to the big rockslugs (forgetting they explode on death).

I have not explored any of 5 yet.

At present moment I like that I can go anywhere I want - it certain feels more Crash Bandicoot 2.

The game is not pulling any punches and I am missing a few features dearly: healing replenishing, bonfires, sekiro speed and lack of stamnia.

However the look of the game and the way things sound coupled with the haptics mean the experience is something else entirely. The clunks and swings and crispness of explosions and spells. Good lord. The game is sometimes overly busy and I have trouble spotting things (armoured spiders webbing shots - that was pure frustration at myself there) but I cannot deny when you get to 2-2 and see all that gorgeous lava that it makes me fall in love :D

My dragonsword is my favourite weapon, alongside my wand and shield depending on the situation. Parry and backstabbing is much easier for me than in any of the Dark Souls too.

I was also suffering from over heating yesterday too. It is so warm in my house and having no windows you can open in the living room is one of the weirdest choices I have seen in a house design (we rent). Maybe I should invest in a beefy fan for the summer. :think:

However that is no excuse! I must continue and better myself! :hai:

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

VideoGames posted:

In 4-1 I got to the Adjudicator and died to some move that went through the floor, which seems pretty unfair - I did not have any time to figure out how to get down there.

This was my exact final experience with this game on PS3 before setting it down for years, playing all the other souls games in between, and finally picking it back up again on PS5. I won't say the solution, only that when I came back to it after all that time, I beat him on my first try and it was extremely satisfying.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

VideoGames posted:

If it makes either of you feel better, then having magic has not meant the game is easier for me. Right now I am definitely floundering around and the game has been smacking me down the whole of yesterday.

I have done 1-1,1-2,2-1.

In 4-1 I got to the Adjudicator and died to some move that went through the floor, which seems pretty unfair - I did not have any time to figure out how to get down there. I do know the level layout pretty well and did a lot of exploring. Those rollerbones though were a pain in the bum before I got my dragonsword+1

I tried 3-1 and have been having the most fun there, even if I am pretty poor at avoiding the Davy Joneses. The Krang ball was funny. The massive artillery bombardment is not, but I very nearly got past it!

In 2-2 I met good old patches and had a lot of fun exploring but died in the tunnels to the big rockslugs (forgetting they explode on death).

I have not explored any of 5 yet.

At present moment I like that I can go anywhere I want - it certain feels more Crash Bandicoot 2.

The game is not pulling any punches and I am missing a few features dearly: healing replenishing, bonfires, sekiro speed and lack of stamnia.

However the look of the game and the way things sound coupled with the haptics mean the experience is something else entirely. The clunks and swings and crispness of explosions and spells. Good lord. The game is sometimes overly busy and I have trouble spotting things (armoured spiders webbing shots - that was pure frustration at myself there) but I cannot deny when you get to 2-2 and see all that gorgeous lava that it makes me fall in love :D

My dragonsword is my favourite weapon, alongside my wand and shield depending on the situation. Parry and backstabbing is much easier for me than in any of the Dark Souls too.

I was also suffering from over heating yesterday too. It is so warm in my house and having no windows you can open in the living room is one of the weirdest choices I have seen in a house design (we rent). Maybe I should invest in a beefy fan for the summer. :think:

However that is no excuse! I must continue and better myself! :hai:

:) I'm glad you're having a good time with it. It's by far the most otherworldly FROM game imo

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Lumpy the Cook posted:

e: Yeah, I shouldn't post poo poo about Randy Pitchford, what the gently caress is up there. Holy moly.

Fix fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 31, 2021

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Rad Valtar posted:

This guy is really doubling down on being an idiot.

https://twitter.com/ApexAlphaJ/status/1399103230454468624?s=20

I’ll take “Dumb Things To Say When The Man Who Founded Your Company Seems To Be A Child Fucker And Your Company’s Gaming Division Specifically Has Had Myriad Issues Involving Women For What Feels Like Forever” for $100, person who has replaced Alex

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Cameo posted:

I’ll take “Dumb Things To Say When The Man Who Founded Your Company Seems To Be A Child Fucker”

Wait, what?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is this some QAnon poo poo because if so please don’t bring that in here

Oh wait wasn’t he friends with Epstein? ehhhh I’ll stay out of this one (he says, while still composing a post he will send)

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Yes please this is the ps5 thread. No bill gates tangents or any of that junk here. Try to stay on course for ps5, PlayStation in general and other Sony gaming related things.

I would much appreciate it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

edit: saw the post above me after posting, but suffice to say just look into the Bill and Melinda divorce reasons and it definitely doesn’t sound very good for Bill.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Jeffrey Epstein is op in crash team racing.

VVVV

JBP fucked around with this message at 09:35 on May 31, 2021

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Cameo posted:

edit: saw the post above me after posting, but suffice to say just look into the Bill and Melinda divorce reasons and it definitely doesn’t sound very good for Bill.

I'm not going to do that but thanks anyways.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

rich people, who are monsters? it's more likely than you think

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh are we circling back to Farochat

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

never finished it!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
wait i'm confused, bill gates make horizon and designed aloy?

edit: oh guess ill stay confused.

anyway ps5 is good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

He makes stargates, Halo and he hosed clippy in a badminton pizza club basement as a blood sacrifice. get with the times.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQzH4FSQOQE

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I hope this is the year Usher wishes playstation a merry Christmas

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

veni veni veni posted:

He makes stargates, Halo and he hosed clippy in a badminton pizza club basement as a blood sacrifice. get with the times.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Oh....kayy.....anyway wrt to the hand-cramping chat a few pages ago: I don't really cramp up too much per se, but I've found that I've been developing blisters on my thumbs. Maybe I'm playing more due to, you know, covid and all, but I don't feel like it's that much more. But yeah, blisters all the same.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

gently caress yes dude, you must be just gaming so hard.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
The only controller to give me blisters was the Dreamcast controller, and that from an extended session of demo kiosk Marvel vs Capcom 2.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008

Giving yourself gaming stigmata to win a lovely minigame everytime

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

kiss me Pikachu posted:

power....glove..?

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I’m excited for Virtua Fighter!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kiss me Pikachu posted:

I really could have used this back in the day

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

man nurse posted:

The real big time player is here!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

man nurse posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is bank holiday and I was going to play more Assassin's Credd Odyssey (because Kassandra is one of the coolest protagonists and also I have not been ruined by Assassin's Creed games as I have skipped over almost all of them (got a few hours play in 1,2 and Origins) so a huge open world in one of coolest settings with a snarky spartan is my idea of a great time. :)

However.

There is a game called Demons Souls. And I had thought most of the morning about my class. So I decided I would start a new game as a new class and not do any more than what I did on stream just to see the difference.

My new game is a knight called Parry Mason and I have died twice. The first part on the unstoppable boss (though I did get him down to just over half health) and I walked over a bonfire in 1-1 by mistake and burned to death.

Other than that, I have beaten 1-1, 2-1, got my falchion from 4-1, got my dragonsword from 2-2, and gotten back to the tower knight in 1-2. All without dying. Feeling pretty swish :)

I will be continuing from this game because it looks like I kept someone alive and they are now sitting on an arch in the nexus! :D