Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

CV has big ups and big downs but i think the final act being so bonkers makes it worth it. I would rather replay it than 5 or 6 anyway

exquisite tea posted:

I watched a history of Code Veronica ports, and I gotta think one reason why some people don't like it is that they never got to play the original Dreamcast version. Every subsequent port has something critically wrong with it, like they either hosed up the controls or the color pallette is all washed out or it's way too dark. They also ruin the Wesker reveal in Act 2 by inserting him into some random scene where it doesn't even make sense. Sad!

I'm pretty sure Wesker shows up in the intro of the original DC version

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't really hate CV myself. It's just kinda okay. I'd still replay it over 0 any day though. And it is fun to play CV using the knife as much as possible.

Sorry to say this but playing 0 is even more hosed up.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I did not play the demo for 8.

I just got to the village and the first thing I thought when I saw it was first person Bloodborne.

I also thought it was a master class of tension in the house at the beginning and one hell of a tension release that I didn’t see coming

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 30, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Hakkesshu posted:

I'm pretty sure Wesker shows up in the intro of the original DC version

You just see the back of his head for a split second before Disc 2. It's a mystery that's supposed to pay off when he meets his archrival Chris Redfield again, not when he tells off a character he has no prior connection to and yeets himself into a manhole.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

CV is good, sorry haters.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

You just see the back of his head for a split second before Disc 2. It's a mystery that's supposed to pay off when he meets his archrival Chris Redfield again, not when he tells off a character he has no prior connection to and yeets himself into a manhole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oSzfqW2hI

It's not a mystery he's right there when you boot the game.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There should be a RE:Revengeance that is entirely knife based.

HUNK solo game when???

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

HUNK solo game when???

CyBarry "Sorry to cut in, moira, but it looks like he wasn't getting the point"

"Release my dad joke inhibitors"
"I'm sorry, your what?"
"<menacing action hero voice>Hello Sorry, Im Barry"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Hakkesshu posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_oSzfqW2hI

It's not a mystery he's right there when you boot the game.

I always hit start right past that intro.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

exquisite tea posted:

I watched a history of Code Veronica ports, and I gotta think one reason why some people don't like it is that they never got to play the original Dreamcast version. Every subsequent port has something critically wrong with it, like they either hosed up the controls or the color pallette is all washed out or it's way too dark. They also ruin the Wesker reveal in Act 2 by inserting him into some random scene where it doesn't even make sense. Sad!

Hm, maybe I'd have been better off playing the Dreamcast version.

Can I get a link to that video? I'd like to see the changes between versions.

Medullah posted:

I enjoyed my PS2 run through last year. Of course I did it with an emulator with upscaled graphics, save states and infinite ammo so it wasn't as painful as it could have been.

I'm using save-states, though maybe not super heavily. I know I loaded state a lot so I could skip the door animation before the Tyrant fight.

Only point where I ran out of ammo was at the end of Claire's section, trying to kill the Nosferatu boss, and I killed the boss just as I ran out of ammo. Still, because of how tight some of the corridors and areas are, taking out enemies seems more critical, so it feels like you're constantly burning through your ammo.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I don't really hate CV myself. It's just kinda okay. I'd still replay it over 0 any day though. And it is fun to play CV using the knife as much as possible.

After CV and REMake, the next game I'll play is RE0.

The knife in CV is really good, and I've saved ammo by slashing zombies when they've fallen from gunfire. However, it seems like you have to be really specific on where you're standing, otherwise you don't get as many hits. Trying to attack them while they're still standing feels too risky, though that's how I've taken out other enemies like the spiders.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
So I want to try one of the randomizer mods for RE2, just item randomization. Are there any suggested ones or whatnot that would make the game fun and new? Obviously there would be dud play throughs but It would still be better than the base B playthrough.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Max Wilco posted:

Hm, maybe I'd have been better off playing the Dreamcast version.

Can I get a link to that video? I'd like to see the changes between versions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ_oLgD3E40&t=2s

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Cool, thanks.

Since I made that post last night, I made it Chris' chapter, and things seems like they're a bit easier. The FAQ I was following said to use the explosive bolts for the Gulp Worm, and since I had those stockpiled, that fight was a breeze. I'm up to the point where Hunters are due to appear, but I haven't triggered them yet, because I thought to head back and drop off the stuff I picked up. I'm hoping they're not going to be too much of a hassle.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaj posted:

So I want to try one of the randomizer mods for RE2, just item randomization. Are there any suggested ones or whatnot that would make the game fun and new? Obviously there would be dud play throughs but It would still be better than the base B playthrough.

this is the only one i know about but i haven't tried it myself

http://benn-gaming.co.uk/re2randomizer.html

wait did you want re2 or re2r

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Halloween Jack posted:

Joe Baker with stick-controlled fists

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006

site posted:

this is the only one i know about but i haven't tried it myself

http://benn-gaming.co.uk/re2randomizer.html

wait did you want re2 or re2r

Re2rere:solid. The remake lol.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Is there Karambit Knife stronger than the normal one?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Is there Karambit Knife stronger than the normal one?

It is much stronger, yes.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember liking CV but can't tell anyone a lot of about a lot about it. I had a Dreamcast and, as such, my access to a ton of games was fairly limited so that may have been it.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

One neat detail I like about Heisenberg is even after he transforms and knocks Ethan off the platform, he tells him "don't come back". He still doesn't try to kill Ethan... he seems pretty genuine in not really wanting to fight Ethan, and is perfectly OK with him escaping if he just stays out of it.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

One neat detail I like about Heisenberg is even after he transforms and knocks Ethan off the platform, he tells him "don't come back". He still doesn't try to kill Ethan... he seems pretty genuine in not really wanting to fight Ethan, and is perfectly OK with him escaping if he just stays out of it.

To be honest Ethan might have been perfectly willing to gently caress off to go after Miranda or something if Heisenberg hadn't insisted on being an obstacle. All kinds of ways Karl probably could have approached things better there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Minor spoilers but I noticed this happens and I had no choice but to oblige

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C3z4snKBcE

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Caidin posted:

To be honest Ethan might have been perfectly willing to gently caress off to go after Miranda or something if Heisenberg hadn't insisted on being an obstacle. All kinds of ways Karl probably could have approached things better there.

Oh yeah, Heisenberg probably survives if he didn't so feverishly believe only HE could kill Miranda, and he could ONLY do it if he had Rose's power.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Oh yeah, Heisenberg probably survives if he didn't so feverishly believe only HE could kill Miranda, and he could ONLY do it if he had Rose's power.

The mental visual of him in his goofy recoilless rocket tractor and his army of Soldats fighting Miranda and her army of Molded untransformed and laughing his rear end off and chomping a cigar is incredibly funny and endearing, even if he still loses pathetically in that scenario

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

https://twitter.com/threateningcake/status/1399122384666333186
Location for RE9 confirmed

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I think you mean a never specified country where everyones names are traditional Iraqi, the currency is the Dinar, and they constantly talk about the cradle of civilization and two major river systems

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Ahhh, set in wonderful Mesopotamia

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Barudak posted:

I think you mean a never specified country where everyones names are traditional Iraqi, the currency is the Dinar, and they constantly talk about the cradle of civilization and two major river systems

:hmmyes:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

After you make all the meals, the only use food has is to sell it?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

After you make all the meals, the only use food has is to sell it?

Yep

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
After you make all the meals never interact with the food or the menu because that increases your in game time imo

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Well, Code Veronica X is done.

D Rank is about what I expected. The actual time is probably a lot longer with the save stating and repeating certain segments. I dunno why the game penalizes you for retries; for the most part it drops you back to when you last saved. I think the only part where it dropped you right back to where you died is during the first boss fight with Alexia.

The second half with Chris wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. You spend less time on the island as Chris then I expected, though backtracking back and forth through the elevator in the Military Training Complex gets really old. Chris' section does seem easier, because there's only one Bandersnatch you have to deal with (which you can obliterate with the grenade launcher), and most of the bosses you fight (save for Alexia) don't pose much of a threat; Gulp Worm dies with a few explosive bolts, Albanoid just floats around in the water waiting to get shot, and with the Giant Spider, you can just grab the item in the room and leave.

That said, the Hunters seem like a real pain to deal with if you don't know they're going to be in a room when you enter. While I didn't have an issue with them, the Sweeper (red Hunters who poison you) seem like a cruel thing to inflict on the player. The thing of having to dodge Wesker's scanner, so as not to summon Hunters, is sort of interesting, though I wonder why you can't just destroy them (maybe you can, and the guide I was following didn't mention it).

I think CV is where the limited item space style really become a problem (mind you, I did get sidepack for both characters, so it's not like I was working only with the default six slots). While carrying as many items (or at least key items) might tank the difficulty, I think it would dramatically improve the flow of the game.

Also, I hate that you have to wait until the halfway point before you get the shotgun.

The bits where you find the replications of the Spencer Mansion I thought was pretty cool, in terms of seeing them rendered in real-time, rather than a pre-rendered backdrop. I'd say that it doesn't make a whole lot of sense why it's there, but then that's getting into the absurdity of the layouts of RE games, which (while funny) I imagine is pretty tired at this point.

There are some design decisions in the final stretch that I think are pretty bad. Once you find Claire, you get stuck on a route where you potentially be screwed if you don't have enough healing items in storage or if you didn't have a lot of ammo in reserve. The encounter with Steve just requires you to run away, but it seems like he'll hit you even if you immediately book it, so you have to have healing items to tank through the hit; otherwise you'll die. After that, you get thrown into the Alexia fight, and while that fight isn't too hard, I only had the shotgun when I made it up to that point; I didn't think to bring the grenade launcher or the magnum. If all you had was the knife, I don't know if you could beat it (I assume you can, but Alexia's grab attack seems to be an instant kill). Also, any healing items you do give Claire are inaccessible after that section

From there you do another circuit to get some items and find Claire, and then start the self-destruct and fight Alexia again. The final fight against her isn't too difficult, though the little enemies that shoot out and attack you in the second stage makes the fight more of a hassle, especially if you're not using a rapid-fire weapon.

The ending where Chris fights Wesker seems like it should have happened earlier, rather than after fighting Alexia, because it almost feels the game is setting you up for another fight, but it's all a cutscene. Wesker mentions they captured Steve for the T-Veronica virus, so I'm curious as to whether or not that was ever expanded upon, or if it was just a plot thread that got dropped.

I gave Battle Mode a quick spin as Chris. Tearing through with the infinite magnum is pretty cathartic, though I died at the last stage of Alexia, and I think I was under par.

I think if I went through the game again (which I really don't want to do), I could maybe get a better rank. Watching that retrospective video that Exquisite Tea mentioned, it's interesting to hear that people consider CV to be too difficult, but the video author also say that he didn't have trouble with the game and shows how you can beat the Tyrant effortlessly without moving from the entrance, so long as you have the right special grenades (which I did :pwn:). I'm interested to take a look at SphereHunter's review of CV (whose videos I've been meaning to watch) to see her take on it.

For now though, I guess I'm moving on to REMake. I have thought about playing RE: Survivor, though. I know Survivor is bad, but from some of the stuff I've read, it sounds like it's pretty easy and short, and I think there's a romhack/patch to restore the light gun support.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CV is probably the easiest game to do everything knife only lol

There is a way to get through the Steve part without getting hit but its pretty unlikely you're going to figure it out without watching a YT video on it. Just like you can technically beat the plane Tyrant if you get there with no ammo, it's just insanely hard lol

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Barudak posted:

Also everyone just absolutely goes on about how much they love american action movies. Like really every other conversation.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

CV is probably the easiest game to do everything knife only lol

There is a way to get through the Steve part without getting hit but its pretty unlikely you're going to figure it out without watching a YT video on it. Just like you can technically beat the plane Tyrant if you get there with no ammo, it's just insanely hard lol

Oh yeah, with how OP the Code Veronica knife is, I'm sure you can do a knife-only run easy. I used it a lot in my playthrough, but using it alone I imagine takes some practice. Trying to do knife-only in the Alexia fight just seems tough because you don't want to get grabbed, and positioning is hard because of the flames.

Looking at a speedrun, it looks like you bait the first attack Steve does and then run around him to get some distance while he's attacking. The other thing I read was using an explosive attack to stun him, but the problem is once that section ends, you aren't able to use that weapon again as Chris.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 31, 2021

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

So I loaded up the REMake Jill game I started back in like 2015 before dropping it. Now that I have the original game as a reference, I was able to make some progress without having to immediately check a guide for help. Made it past the fight with Yawn (the giant snake), and I collected all the Death Masks before I got killed by a zombie. I had saved not too long before, but I'm thinking I should probably start over with a new game.

The mistake I made when first trying REMake was that I didn't know how the zombies worked. I knew that REMake had the Crimson Heads, and that they would resurrect , but at the time, I thought they didn't resurrect until the second half of the game (instead, it seems to be whenever you enter a room for the third time after they die). I found that you could collect kerosene from certain rooms and torch them, and I did that with a lot of them. However, I realized that the kerosene is finite, and that there doesn't seem to be enough to deal with all the zombies (not to mention that it takes up inventory space you need for other items).

I know the other method to avoiding Crimson Heads is destroying the head, but the issue I have with that is that I don't know if headshots are random or not. I know from the original, if you aim up and shoot with the shotgun when at point-blank range, that's a guaranteed headshot, and it seems to be the same in REMake, though I had a couple of shots that didn't seem to work (could have been that I whiffed the shot). Shotgun ammo also seems to be sparse, and there seem to be a lot more zombies to deal with than in the original game. The pistol can occasionally score a headshot, but I can't tell if it's based on chance, or you have to be specific when aiming.

The third solution I guess is just to not kill them in the first place, though in some of the areas, it's too narrow to try dodging past them. As it is now, I seem to have problems taking regular zombies down with the pistol, as it seems like it takes quite a few shots to down them, and it's always in tight spaces where they're prone to grabbing you as soon as you enter the screen. I guess as an alternative, you could kill them, and then route things such that you never enter the room again, or see which areas you frequent the most and save the kerosene for zombies in those areas.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
first and foremost, make sure you're using the alternative control scheme, which let's you use the control stick instead of the original tank controls. from there practice quick dodging zombie attacks. it takes a while to get a hang of, and you won't ever be 100% successful, but turning around just as they are lunging at you will allow you to avoid getting hit a significant amount of the time. this will save a ton of ammo in the early parts of the game.

second, pay attention to which hallways/rooms you have the hardest time avoiding them, like the guy who's camped out in front of the east wing saveroom, and save your kerosene for those guys. there are a ton of areas you will only ever visit once, so there's no point in dumping ammo and kerosene on guys whose crimson versions you won't ever encounter in the first place

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

exquisite tea posted:

I always hit start right past that intro.

So it still isn't a mystery.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I have a question about how the infinite ammo unlocks work in RE8. Let's say I load a save, sell all my stuff, then buy all the upgrades/attachments for a weapon (or all the upgrades that I'm missing). At that point, the infinite ammo unlock for that gun should be open to purchase right? And if I purchase it, then reload a save before I sold all my stuff, will I still have infinite ammo for that gun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I have a question about how the infinite ammo unlocks work in RE8. Let's say I load a save, sell all my stuff, then buy all the upgrades/attachments for a weapon (or all the upgrades that I'm missing). At that point, the infinite ammo unlock for that gun should be open to purchase right? And if I purchase it, then reload a save before I sold all my stuff, will I still have infinite ammo for that gun?

As soon as you fully upgrade your weapon you unlock the ability to buy infinite ammo for it. You can then just reload your save and use that for other things.

The same counts for things like kill achievements. They are tracked across all games and you don't have to save so you can find a busy area, unload with your magnum, load and repeat until the cheevo pops.