Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I haven't eaten stovetop popcorn in a while, though I did buy like a 24 pack of microwave popcorn months ago and ate one pack of and never touched again.

Reading you guys talking about delicious stovetop popcorn though is really making me want to invest in a good steel popper and some kernels. Maybe some salty, oily goodness will motivate to actually get around to watching all these unwatched blu-rays I keep buying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
As many of you know, on June 4th Amazon is ending its Media on Demand department, which means all CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays produced on demand will become instantly out of print. Before this happens, I think we should share some titles that are worth picking up before they disappear. Not to toot my own horn, but I've made eight feature-length films, all of them released through Amazon MOD. I have lowered the price on every single one of my titles to $5 each, including the 6-disc collection that has six films. If you purchase any of these, I make $0, because I've set the prices to the absolute lowest I can. I just want the discs out here in the world before they disappear. Here's a complete list of my MOD titles:

- Shredder
- Rehearsals
- Ramekin
- Bed
- Mute Date
- The DVD
- Strummer
- Attack of the Giant Blurry Finger
- The Cody Clarke Collection, Vol. 1 (6-Disc Collection) (Shredder / Rehearsals / Ramekin / Bed / Mute Date / The DVD)
- Shredder / Strummer (2-Disc Double Feature Collection)
- Artifact of a Love (Alternate box art version of The DVD)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
They already put UCB season 3 and Zack Stone is Gonna Be Famous out of print years ago so Amazon VOD was dead to me already. I'd grab those Are You Afraid of the Dark DVDs if they've still got those because those will absolutely skyrocket in price and you'll never be able to get them again.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

codyclarke posted:

As many of you know, on June 4th Amazon is ending its Media on Demand department, which means all CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Rays produced on demand will become instantly out of print. Before this happens, I think we should share some titles that are worth picking up before they disappear. Not to toot my own horn, but I've made eight feature-length films, all of them released through Amazon MOD. I have lowered the price on every single one of my titles to $5 each, including the 6-disc collection that has six films. If you purchase any of these, I make $0, because I've set the prices to the absolute lowest I can. I just want the discs out here in the world before they disappear. Here's a complete list of my MOD titles:

- Shredder
- Rehearsals
- Ramekin
- Bed
- Mute Date
- The DVD
- Strummer
- The Cody Clarke Collection, Vol. 1 (6-Disc Collection) (Shredder / Rehearsals / Ramekin / Bed / Mute Date / The DVD)

Very cool, kudos on getting your movies out there. That's rad.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

codyclarke posted:

- Shredder
- Rehearsals
- Ramekin
- Bed
- Mute Date
- The DVD
- Strummer

Also, I didn't mean to come off like a dildo in that other post. Will these things be available in any form after fall of MOD? I got no money.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 01:14 on May 30, 2021

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

CPL593H posted:

Will these things be available in any form after fall of MOD? I got no money.

Still trying to figure that out as there's no 1:1 replacement to Amazon MOD elsewhere at the moment—what they had was truly unique, and I will miss the zero overhead costs a lot. Also a bunch of indie distributors like Gravitas Ventures and a couple others were straight up using Amazon MOD in order to make their discs, so it's not even just the filmmakers that are putting their films out themselves that are hurt by this. I'm a huge physical media nut so I'm always going to make sure that my films will be available physically somehow, but the prices are gonna have to be higher, as I'll have to order a few hundred copies at a time from somewhere so that it's cost effective. I'll try and make sure to work that cost into the budget of my next films.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Spatulater bro! posted:

It's not even close to the loudest. If I'm eating kettle cooked potato chips I have to pause the movie until I'm finished. I can't even hear over my own crunching.

I haven't seen theaters selling kettle cooked potato chips. But if they do, they're monsters.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
If you’re eating something other than popcorn in a theater it’s gotta be soft and chewy, like Raisinettes or Mike & Ikes.

Any kind of chip is a war crime :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite movie food is loaded fries or fried pickles

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

For in-theater food my favorite are the soft pretzels at the Alamo Drafthouse. Every time I went there'd I'd order one of those and a Lagunitas IPA. Oh god I'm gonna miss that place :(

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I used to get the Maker’s Mark shake and a meatball pizza whenever I’d go to the Friday night horror double features.

I love fried pickles and I’d get those too, but Alamo for some reason cuts and fries them lengthwise instead of slicing them, which means the texture is all off and they’re terrible.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spatulater bro! posted:

For in-theater food my favorite are the soft pretzels at the Alamo Drafthouse. Every time I went there'd I'd order one of those and a Lagunitas IPA. Oh god I'm gonna miss that place :(

They’re opening back up, at least two of the three here in Denver.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

CelticPredator posted:

They’re opening back up, at least two of the three here in Denver.

The one here in KC is closed for good :(

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Alamy draft house - the tickets are free but there's diagonal screener watermarks thru the whole thing

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

The one here in KC is closed for good :(

B&B’s bought the space, they’ll be open in the fall. (They wanna put recliner seats in.) I’m not sure what their food or their programming is like, it says they do retro stuff in some theaters so hopefully rep screenings are still on.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I dont really do popcorn at the theater tbh. my partner will get a box, but I prefer a bottle of water and a thing of raisinettes.

those pretzel bites at alamo are great though. Alamo is a whole rear end different deal.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
A word of warning about Hong Kong Rescue: I bought their edition of Peking Opera Blues thinking that they might have gotten hold of a proper HD source since they advertise it as "true HD 1080p" - but it's just another upscale job. I now doubt that The Killer is HD since, as far as I know, there is no true HD version of the film available.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Fair enough there. Did you like the subtitle translation? They advertise their new translations, so I'm curious to hear about those. I recently got Peking Opera Blues from elsewhere, I think English subs from an HK blu-ray, and the subs were really messed up. On subscene I found somebody who fixed them up a bit, but they still seem a bit sloppy and loosely translated. As you'll often find.

So if the subs are genuinely an improvement in translation, for me that'd be worthwhile too. At least for that one. Also they mentioned including some text at the beginning and end of that movie from theatrical that isn't in other releases, that sounds interesting.

This release of The Killer is based on the same source as the US blu-ray, a 1080i master of some sort. They aimed to fix it up and deinterlace it etc, and color graded the shots. It sounds promising. That said, I also like the HK blu-ray of The Killer which is really really grainy, less DNR, and also a big improvement over the US dvds like Criterion and WinStar. Though that has a bad revisionist audio track, and nobody else seems to like it's video as much (I guess because of the grain and maybe color choices).

If I'm getting picky, I would've loved it if they used that version as a source for an extra disc version instead of the Taiwanese TV vhs rip or what have you.

If these are upscales from a DVD master source (which may well be the case), they at least look a whole lot better than any DVD releases of these. I don't mind movies looking a little soft, I definitely take that above too much DNR and other crisp kookiness.

I haven't seen their Peking Opera Blues, but the blu-ray versions of that movie around look pretty good to me. Better than SD DVD's of 80s HK movies I've seen anyway. This sort of thing is pretty much a "best we can get" kind of thing until hopefully a company picks these up and does them even better.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
The subtitles seem fine, and I appreciate all the extra stuff, I just think they should make it clear that it's not true HD and that the source is, probably, the HK blu-ray which is an upscale. I'm not terribly upset about it 'cause I only paid $8 for the download version.

Heavy Metal posted:

This release of The Killer is based on the same source as the US blu-ray, a 1080i master of some sort. They aimed to fix it up and deinterlace it etc, and color graded the shots. It sounds promising. That said, I also like the HK blu-ray of The Killer which is really really grainy, less DNR, and also a big improvement over the US dvds like Criterion and WinStar. Though that has a bad revisionist audio track, and nobody else seems to like it's video as much (I guess because of the grain and maybe color choices).

Both those versions of The Killer are upscales too, sadly. But sure, they look better than the various DVDs.

I'd just hoped that they had found proper HD versions like the Japanese BD they used for Hard Boiled.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Right on.

On a side topic, I was reading about how SD content can look really bad on a big 4K TV. Apparently the bigger the worse it is, though they say some high-end ones have good algorithms. I still have a 40 inch HDTV from many years ago, and I still watch lots of old anime and obscure or foreign SD (or comparable) movies. So for me it might be a downgrade if I got a 4K TV, if it made this stuff look worse.

Plus I could probably only fit a 43 inch 4K TV here, which they say doesn't benefit much from the 4K at that size anyway.

I just need Ted Raimi's masterpiece Lunatics: A Love Story to look good until the end of time essentially.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe
A really good DVD can look... acceptable - I've watched a couple on my 108" screen. I have a 50" I generally use for SD content though. Obviously the bigger, the more apparent the flaws become.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Generally speaking modern TVs do a pretty drat good job of upscaling SD content. I've played a few DVDs on my 65" 4k TV and they've been totally watchable. You can definitely tell they're DVDs, but it's not a total mess.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I know most of you don't have the room, but am I the only one who has a CRT for SD content? I picked up a 19" Sony Trinitron a few years ago for 99 cents and it's great for tv show sets and stuff, DVDs look fantastic on it as well as retro game systems. If anyone was considering picking one up I'd do it sooner than later cause they're getting harder to find and most thrift stores quit taking them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Boinks posted:

I know most of you don't have the room, but am I the only one who has a CRT for SD content? I picked up a 19" Sony Trinitron a few years ago for 99 cents and it's great for tv show sets and stuff, DVDs look fantastic on it as well as retro game systems. If anyone was considering picking one up I'd do it sooner than later cause they're getting harder to find and most thrift stores quit taking them.

I'd rather watch a DVD on my HDTV than a 19" CRT. It's widescreen, for one. And video content just looks better in my experience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I never want to go back to the world of CRT geometry.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Boinks posted:

I get this for retro gaming but not for movie watching. Watching a 2.35:1 movie on a 19" CRT would give me flashbacks of being 16 watching movies in my bedroom.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I had a Trinitron in college, 27” I think, and that thing was a loving beast to move around. I don’t know what was in there that was so heavy but it felt like carrying a load of bricks.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
CRTs are good for retrogaming because the graphics were made to take advantage of the color bleed and other analogue quirks to appear more complex than they were. The same is not true for SD video. For me there's certainly a novelty in the nostalgia of watching something on a CRT, but it wears off quick.

e: vvv True. I guess interlaced content might be benefitted by it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 16:08 on May 31, 2021

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I’d probably watch VHS tapes on a CRT over an HD tv, but that’s about it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Nah I collect records. I can’t justify the weight of a CRT on top of that.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
Wasn't a lot of the Warner Archive media on demand printing? If Amazon is getting rid of media on demand wouldn't that also include the Warner stuff that got moved over?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

wa27 posted:

I'd rather watch a DVD on my HDTV than a 19" CRT. It's widescreen, for one. And video content just looks better in my experience.

:same:

I watched my DVD of Aliens (because a UHD doesn't exist yet, and I'm trying to avoid a quad dip) the other night, and yeah, even in SD it looks a hell of a lot better than it did when I was growing up watching the VHS tape.

Although now I'm wondering if there is any sort of hardware out there that you can plug an HDMI cable into that would simulate the days of getting a lovely rear end rental tape

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Steen71 posted:

A really good DVD can look... acceptable

This is my experience. The more recent the DVD the better it'll look, very early DVDs will look atrocious and there's always the possibility that the aspect ratio will be hardcoded so you'll have a tiny 16:9 window in the middle of your TV surrounded by blackness.

If you hook up your PC to your TV, streams from your web browser can look awful too. Shudder's player looks like garbage on my TV, you can see major artifacting that's kind of noticeable on my monitor but it's really glaring on my TV. The closer something is to 4K before it reaches your screen, obviously the better it'll look. My TV's only a 50", I could probably have fit a bigger TV in my living room but 50" is more than plenty for me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Although now I'm wondering if there is any sort of hardware out there that you can plug an HDMI cable into that would simulate the days of getting a lovely rear end rental tape

I'd buy this in a heartbeat.

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

very early DVDs will look atrocious

Oh yeah. One of the very first DVDs I bought was one of the Lone Wolf and Cub movies, and it seriously looked like they had just copied a VHS tape onto DVD. Non-anamorphic too, of course (I think pretty much all DVDs were in the beginning).

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I wouldn't watch anything widescreen on my CRT, but Simpsons and McGuyver DVDs just look and feel right on one. I know it's just nostalgia or whatever. I have a lot of VHS too, mainly a horror collection. Almost every horror movie no matter how obscure is on bluray now though.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Didn't someone in this thread get some laserdiscs running on their current-gen TV and find they looked a bit shite?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Vagabundo posted:

Didn't someone in this thread get some laserdiscs running on their current-gen TV and find they looked a bit shite?

I've considered more than a few times getting a laserdisc player and there's no way I'd run it on anything but my Panasonic 1080i CRT.

e: I guess to make the experience as accurate as possible, you need to get a 600lb+ 60 inch CRT. And a period-appropriate stereo receiver.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

King Vidiot posted:

I've considered more than a few times getting a laserdisc player and there's no way I'd run it on anything but my Panasonic 1080i CRT.

e: I guess to make the experience as accurate as possible, you need to get a 600lb+ 60 inch CRT. And a period-appropriate stereo receiver.

Go back in time and win one of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
The Drug Mart discontinued their rental department, so I scored The Meg on Blu for an entire United States dollar!