Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

porfiria posted:

I want Vermicious Knids on the big screen.

Absolutely same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I seem to have picked up a nasty cough. I'm fully vaccinated so I'm really hoping this is just a random cold or something and not Covid. Going to phone the healthcare tomorrow and ask them if I should get checked.

I work with kids and literally half of them have been coughing like chainsmoking coal miners for a week so if if it is Covid that means a workplace wide quarantine for at least a week.

That would be a bummer because I have a payed sound gig coming up next week and aside from losing the money I'd feel like poo poo bailing out at the last minute (which of course is preferable to infecting everyone and working sick like a dunce)

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This reminds me of Dahl’s bonkers sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where they visit a space station that’s under attack by aliens, and then his grandparents drink too much de-aging liquid, making the them negative years old.

This is how you can tell Hollywood is full of cowards, when they’re provided that insanity for a sequel they go “but what if we do a prequel instead”

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FreudianSlippers posted:

I seem to have picked up a nasty cough. I'm fully vaccinated so I'm really hoping this is just a random cold or something and not Covid. Going to phone the healthcare tomorrow and ask them if I should get checked.

I work with kids and literally half of them have been coughing like chainsmoking coal miners for a week so if if it is Covid that means a workplace wide quarantine for at least a week.

That would be a bummer because I have a payed sound gig coming up next week and aside from losing the money I'd feel like poo poo bailing out at the last minute (which of course is preferable to infecting everyone and working sick like a dunce)

https://youtu.be/hzh7zvXZ_VA

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The only sequel that truly commits to total insanity is Gremlins 2.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Hollismason posted:

Crank: High Voltage and Bad Boys II.

All three of them perfect films.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

I stand by my statement

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I finally got around to watching Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. At first I was like, this is shockingly self-indulgent. Tarantino made this whole movie just so he could be in this place and time for a little while. But then I realized that was unfair, the movie is too inviting to be called self indulgent. Tarantino made this move so everyone could be in this time and place for a little while. It moves at a very slow pace to really take it all in and Tarantino's trademark crackerjack banter is toned down so it's easier to put yourself in the scene with them. The scene where they watch FBI is a good example. It doesn't cut to the show, it just stays on a closeup of the TV, and you hear the characters talking in the background. It's what you'd see and hear if you were in the room watching FBI with them.

I should say, it probably helps a lot that I was spoiled on the fact that they stop the murders. I imagine if I didn't know that fact there would be a growing tension as the movie approaches that night, and a general uneasy "where are you going with this?" feeling. The spoiler completely removes all that and makes the movie just about vibing with the time. Although I do think it might've made the ending a little less impressive. Don't get me wrong, that explosion of absurd violence at the end of two and a half hour of vibes was great. But if it had been the release of two and a half hours of growing tension as I thought this movie was leading to the Manson murders but instead it hit me with that? I would've been hooting, I would've been hollering, it would've been amazing I'm sure.

Also props to Margot Robbie. I'd only ever seen her in The Suicide Squad so I didn't have a good read of her as an actress. But that scene where she watches her movie in the theater and a sort of slightly uncertain giddiness turns to pure joy as she hears the audience reaction is fantastic. Played wrong that character easily could've been just a ditzy actress, but Robbie infuses it with so much warmth that she comes across really well. Which is pretty important, considering who she was playing.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Magic Hate Ball posted:

This reminds me of Dahl’s bonkers sequel to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where they visit a space station that’s under attack by aliens, and then his grandparents drink too much de-aging liquid, making the them negative years old.

so are they like sperm or something

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yo how does Those Who Wish Me Dead compare to Firestorm starring Howie Long

Action goes long

HOWIE Long

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Alan Smithee posted:

yo how does Those Who Wish Me Dead compare to Firestorm starring Howie Long

Action goes long

HOWIE Long

I'm so glad someone else remembers that movie but Firestorm is totally William Forsythe's show.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I love the "pretend to be Canadian" bit and the henchman goes "...ehhh?"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

I finally got around to watching Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. At first I was like, this is shockingly self-indulgent. Tarantino made this whole movie just so he could be in this place and time for a little while. But then I realized that was unfair, the movie is too inviting to be called self indulgent. Tarantino made this move so everyone could be in this time and place for a little while. It moves at a very slow pace to really take it all in and Tarantino's trademark crackerjack banter is toned down so it's easier to put yourself in the scene with them. The scene where they watch FBI is a good example. It doesn't cut to the show, it just stays on a closeup of the TV, and you hear the characters talking in the background. It's what you'd see and hear if you were in the room watching FBI with them.

I should say, it probably helps a lot that I was spoiled on the fact that they stop the murders. I imagine if I didn't know that fact there would be a growing tension as the movie approaches that night, and a general uneasy "where are you going with this?" feeling. The spoiler completely removes all that and makes the movie just about vibing with the time. Although I do think it might've made the ending a little less impressive. Don't get me wrong, that explosion of absurd violence at the end of two and a half hour of vibes was great. But if it had been the release of two and a half hours of growing tension as I thought this movie was leading to the Manson murders but instead it hit me with that? I would've been hooting, I would've been hollering, it would've been amazing I'm sure.

Also props to Margot Robbie. I'd only ever seen her in The Suicide Squad so I didn't have a good read of her as an actress. But that scene where she watches her movie in the theater and a sort of slightly uncertain giddiness turns to pure joy as she hears the audience reaction is fantastic. Played wrong that character easily could've been just a ditzy actress, but Robbie infuses it with so much warmth that she comes across really well. Which is pretty important, considering who she was playing.

I felt uneasy about it failing to address Roman Polanski at first, but then I remembered the scene where the made up Manson family girl tries to gently caress Brad Pitt and he just right away is like "bullshit, you're underage. I don't know how old you are but you're definitely underage" and she says she's "old enough" which he immediately shoots down.

He's a scumbag and probably a murderer. Just some shithead that's basically blacklisted because nobody wants to be around him and even HE isn't as gross as Roman Polanski.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gripweed posted:

You should probably watch Wolf of Wall Street, she’s really good in it.

I’m not sure how common of knowledge this is but Quentin Tarantino wrote a full on novelization/expansion of the story, I think it’s out in a few weeks

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coffee And Pie posted:

You should probably watch Wolf of Wall Street, she’s really good in it.

I’m not sure how common of knowledge this is but Quentin Tarantino wrote a full on novelization/expansion of the story, I think it’s out in a few weeks

I should, I really liked all of the Scorcese movies I've seen. I don't want to get too deep into his stuff though, I don't want to go full frat boy dude bro.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Gripweed posted:

I should, I really liked all of the Scorcese movies I've seen. I don't want to get too deep into his stuff though, I don't want to go full frat boy dude bro.

Don’t let stupid people keep you from watching good movies. The people who think it’s about how cool it is to be a Wall Street bro are the same people who think Scarface is about how cool it is to be a drug lord

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

BRO! You gotta get over here man Bobby just showed up with a couple of kegs and Silence on 4K!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Full frat boy dudes sitting down to watch The Last Temptation of Christ, The Age of Innocence, and Kundun

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flying Zamboni posted:

BRO! You gotta get over here man Bobby just showed up with a couple of kegs and Silence on 4K!

Okay but this actually sounds like a great time lmao

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Coffee And Pie posted:

Don’t let stupid people keep you from watching good movies. The people who think it’s about how cool it is to be a Wall Street bro are the same people who think Scarface is about how cool it is to be a drug lord

I haven't seen many Scorsese movies, but all the ones I've seen have been about cool dudes doing cool things.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That's not what Goodfellas is about

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Blood Boils posted:

That's not what Goodfellas is about

Cool dudes wearing cool suits and making cool pasta

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Gripweed posted:

I haven't seen many Scorsese movies, but all the ones I've seen have been about cool dudes doing cool things.

*watching Bringing Out The Dead*
Holy poo poo, he's such a cool loving guy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I don’t think any of the Scorsese movies I’ve seen have been about this, although I guess you could argue it for Goodfellas and Wolf of Wall Street if you really wanted to

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

"You have to show why the lifestyle is glamorous and desirable before everything comes crashing down that's just basic storytelling right there" -Martin Scorcese

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Scorsese good, caring about what people on Twitter think about him bad.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

The Last Temptation of Christ glorifies Jesus, an incel dudebro who spawned a v toxic culture

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Cool dudes like Leo in Shutter Island

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
17th century Jesuits are cool as poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 would like a word

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Scorsese “glorifying dude-bro culture” is one of the worst takes ever.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Turns out I'm just generically sick and the vaccine works. Coughed so much last night I kept myself and the wife up way into the night. Apparently I kept coughing even after I fell asleep.

Kids are basically walking plague bearers. Especially when they're too young to consider holding their mouth while they cough or sneeze and don't have the social awareness to no literally cough in each others faces.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 31, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Egbert Souse posted:

Full frat boy dudes sitting down to watch The Last Temptation of Christ, The Age of Innocence, and Kundun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zq7EDnC629s

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
Bro, Bro! Have you seen the Aviator? He loving shot several scenes to emulate the look of two strip color!

::crushes beer can against the side of his head::

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

CPL593H posted:

Bro, Bro! Have you seen the Aviator? He loving shot several scenes to emulate the look of two strip color!

::crushes beer can against the side of his head::

Drink every time there’s a split diopter or tracking shot! Man, we are going to get soooooo wasted!!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Goodfellas is a movie about visiting your mom and talking about the painting she bought.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
So Ellie Kemper is a kkk pageant queen

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Is the Veiled Prophet literally KKK or just a another weird occultist mask wearing racist group that is also possibly a Eyes Wide Shut type deal?
Because I keep seeing mixed reports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

FreudianSlippers posted:

Is the Veiled Prophet literally KKK or just a another weird occultist mask wearing racist group that is also possibly a Eyes Wide Shut type deal?
Because I keep seeing mixed reports.

The Atlantic report I'm reading makes them seem more like racist elites than directly tied to the kkk.