Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Xenoborg posted:

The naval invasion AI is so bad in general that I don't think I've ever seen it succeed in any case other than a completely open coast.

If I run on autopilot and completely ignore the coast, Japan will sometimes brute force some ports. If I have tunnel vision that heavy, they’ve usually made enough of a foothold that I have to move my entire front to counter it.

Improving relations with Japan and using an agent to provide diplomatic pressure and then forcing Japan to accept a non-aggression pact is my favorite troll move in La Resistance. I started a session today where I’m trying to cut it as close as possible, lol. That should buy enough time for my airforce to fill out nicely with fighter and CAS 1’s. Japan has no good airbases until they take Beijing from you, so a lovely airforce is surprisingly competitive as long as you hold the line. I’m not sure that CAS is going to cover the deficiencies of my infantry equipment being from the Great War, though. Gotta cut corners somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Trying a soviet game out. Currently sitting with my thumb up my rear end and the allies being boggled because I have 10 million in manpower ready to throw in the meat grinder but I'm 50k in deficit for infantry equipment and can't make enough divisions to mount any sort of offensive as everything is tied up just holding borders and I will soon be overrun once the axis bring all those victorious divisions back from france/spain. I guess 35 factories wasn't enough for infantry equipment.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Hot take: I'd like the AI japanese to realize that they shouldn't land on portless provinces. This would both help them out and end tedious micro.

The naval invasion AI is really hamstrung by the need for marine divisions. Japan starts with a template that's six marine battalions and engineers. With thirty land XP they can make that ten battalions, engineers and artillery. With four of those divisions, they should be able to take and hold any reasonably-defended port in China, and they should do that on day one of the war.

Trouble is, the AI doesn't do that, so you just get random infantry and cavalry divisions landing on and around the port, running out of supplies and dying.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Asproigerosis posted:

Trying a soviet game out. Currently sitting with my thumb up my rear end and the allies being boggled because I have 10 million in manpower ready to throw in the meat grinder but I'm 50k in deficit for infantry equipment and can't make enough divisions to mount any sort of offensive as everything is tied up just holding borders and I will soon be overrun once the axis bring all those victorious divisions back from france/spain. I guess 35 factories wasn't enough for infantry equipment.

You're probably overestimating the axis. Being 50k infantry equipment in the hole is not a good place to be in, though. How many divisions do you have?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Asproigerosis posted:

It sounds like you're trying to crush the whole German line using your entire line of infantry divisions and that's not a good idea.

If it's like 1941 you should have a decent number of armor divisions that you should be using to annihilate the axis.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The German invasion should go like that bit in Deadpool where he kept trying to attack Colossus and just broke all his limbs.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Oh I'm supposed to make armor

Ignorant Hick
Mar 26, 2010

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I was playing China and kept looking up to see the Japanese had landed and grabbed my ports even though I had a ton of divisions with the area defense command to guard them. At first I thought that they were just using marine templates good enough to defeat the defenders, but then I looked closer and saw what was really going on. They would land in a non-port coastal province. Then, even though my area defense order said ports only, my divisions would abandon the port to go attack the unsupplied Japanese divisions and leave the ports totally unguarded. Then they make a second landing against the undefended port and I'm hosed. So the only way to actually guard your ports is to manually move units there because the area defense command is totally worthless and counter productive.

I've had this same issue. I believe it's because when a division in an area defense command is under attack from a naval invasion, some divisions in that same area defense command leave the ports they're supposed to be guarding to pointlessly reinforce it. When playing Nationalist China I'd see poo poo like 8 divisions abandon their posts and race to reinforce a defensive combat against a single naval invader that was already repelled before they got there. If I'm playing a country where naval invasions are a real threat I use single province fallback lines to keep a few defenders on top of my ports.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Playing as social democratic France, I put my foot down and refused the Munich agreement and created a Franco-Czech entente, which then escalated to the normal world war in around six months.

I'm feeling relatively confident on holding the Germans in place but the Italians actually managed to punch through in the south. Held them back on the Rhone, currently waiting for the North Africa campaign to finish so that I can bring that army home and retaliate.

The French have a really interesting focus tree! I was pleasantly surprised.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, both France and Spain have great trees. Every route is worth giving a shot, they all play pretty differently.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I was playing China and kept looking up to see the Japanese had landed and grabbed my ports even though I had a ton of divisions with the area defense command to guard them. At first I thought that they were just using marine templates good enough to defeat the defenders, but then I looked closer and saw what was really going on. They would land in a non-port coastal province. Then, even though my area defense order said ports only, my divisions would abandon the port to go attack the unsupplied Japanese divisions and leave the ports totally unguarded. Then they make a second landing against the undefended port and I'm hosed. So the only way to actually guard your ports is to manually move units there because the area defense command is totally worthless and counter productive.

I find the best way to defend the coast as China is to make an absolute fuckload of low-width infantry and garrison them along the entire coast. You've got the manpower to spare and every one that gets killed is free military XP to reform, which you need to push anyway.

No matter where they try to land, someone is there to slow them down and let the other guard units mass to meet them so you never have to worry about pushing them back in the first place.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Manpower isn't a consideration as China, but rifles really are.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

Gort posted:

Manpower isn't a consideration as China, but rifles really are.

Set equipment priority to the actual front line, coast guard's tactics are "they can't shoot all of us"

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hello, just got this.
Seems to start to slow down around 1946, like stellaris does when you pick too big a map, and get to late game.

Any advice?

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

The Bananana posted:

Hello, just got this.
Seems to start to slow down around 1946, like stellaris does when you pick too big a map, and get to late game.

Any advice?

There are some mods that make south American and other unimportant parts of the world not make any units, this helps a bit.

By 1947, every nation on the planet has been building armies for 11 years and conscripted their entire adult population and it makes the game run real bad.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The solution, obviously, is to destroy these armies in their entirety.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I mean it's 46. The games over at that point

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

VostokProgram posted:

I mean it's 46. The games been over for at least 3 years at that point

Ftfy

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Hmm.. you've given me a lot to think about

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

I do hope the tno devs get some kind of job out of this. Except the ui designers, they can stay hobbyists imo.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
If you play until 1960, HOI IV becomes a real-time strategy game.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

The Bananana posted:

Hmm.. you've given me a lot to think about

Depending on who you play as, you can reasonably take out all opposition by 1943-1945, granted you're a major. And I say 1945 only because you might need to build a navy from scratch.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
If you’re a European major the game is “over” by 41-42 easy depending on who you are.

By “over” I mean either not in the endgame war with the USSR or the USA depending on what side you were on during the main western continental war.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
If you are really cheesing you can win by 38.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I've played like three Communist China games that I abandoned in the late 40s / early 50s because I reunited China but the Soviets lost and I ended up in a neverending grind across Asia with Germany. The last couple games I tried sending armies to help the Soviets hold the line in the west but the supply situation on the German-Soviet front was such a disaster that I couldn't find a way to insert myself that didn't end up causing more casualties on us than the Germans (through supply problems when they'd shift their units around inside the already packed supply zones.) The pacific theater was more or less solved by 42 in those games though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why the gently caress did I read up on TNO's Burgundian Reich and Taboritsky? Why? :allbuttons:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Grouchio posted:

Why the gently caress did I read up on TNO's Burgundian Reich and Taboritsky? Why? :allbuttons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ26fFLNLB4

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Jesus this game is all numbers and spreadsheets isn't it, why did I just watch like 3 hours of tutorials

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

Jesus this game is all numbers and spreadsheets isn't it

Not really, no...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's all numbers but you don't have to do math with them. Certainly no spreadsheets!

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

4 is downright accessible for a HoI game

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
the only five numbers to care about are: manpower (total), hard attack, soft attack, piercing, and armor. you want all of these to be as high as possible at all times

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

HerraS posted:

4 is downright accessible for a HoI game

It doesn't freeze very accessible. I had less trouble with Stellaris. Which is why I thought I'd enjoy this one. I'm going to keep trying to play, tho.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Yeah, most of the combat-related numbers are an expression of just how hard you'll have to faceroll very bad ideas before they work anyway. Rask's list is about right; you need the first to kill tanks, the second to kill infantry, and the latter two are the two sides of the one hard breakpoint in combat stats where armor > piercing gives a massive bonus meant to represent tanks rolling over infantry (but just one battalion with the relevant stat gives a huge boost, and thus it can be manipulated to take it away from enemy tanks with a single AA/AT/TD battalion for piercing or give it to your infantry with a single tank battalion for armor.)
In most cases that don't involve China or a minor power on one side or the other, your goal isn't to go 52-48 with the enemy all the way to their capital using slightly better or more numerous infantry, it's to (if you're not Germany) hold out with infantry long enough to start whipping tanks around their backline or (if you are Germany) to shepherd your early tanks well enough that they never have the leisure to build their own and get them landed on the continent.

Width, HP, and Organization are also very important, but while Width is changing soon it's still "10, 20, or 40--higher is better on attack, lower is more expensive and fiddly but better on defense", and HP/Organization is just "is this unit at least 1/3 infantry of some sort? If yes, congrats, it won't immediately melt."

Most of your attention to numbers should just be equipment planning and understanding how it ramps up, keeping gear being produced in the proportions and at the rates you issue it so as not to waste factories on things you don't need while having tanks come online too late, or to have divisions stuck at reduced HP due to missing gear, which is a direct multiplier for all stats.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

any strategy game with more than three numbers to track is a spreadsheet for nerds

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

any strategy game with more than three numbers to track is a spreadsheet for nerds

Why are you in this thread?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Mr. Crow posted:

Jesus this game is all numbers and spreadsheets isn't it, why did I just watch like 3 hours of tutorials

You'll realize like 20 hours into the game that the underlying numbers matter very little and that most of the complexity is just pointless fluff that can be safely ignored in 99% of gamestates.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
HoI4 is probably the least spreadsheety of war games. Speaking of stellaris, there's more you need to memorize in terms of weapons and fleet compositions against the various crises than you do in HoI4. When you get down to brass tacks, there are really only a handful of things one needs to know about HoI4 and they apply almost universally to each country.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I was just making a joke about the learning curve :saddowns:

It's been a while since I learned Stellaris but this definitely feels more difficult to get into than Stellaris or CK. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing

There's basically no upkeep cost for armies right that aren't training or otherwise on missions? Should I be constantly recruiting from 1936?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Mr. Crow posted:

I was just making a joke about the learning curve :saddowns:

It's been a while since I learned Stellaris but this definitely feels more difficult to get into than Stellaris or CK. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing

There's basically no upkeep cost for armies right that aren't training or otherwise on missions? Should I be constantly recruiting from 1936?

There isn't, so yes, you should be building as much as your manpower pool allows / you feel is necessary