Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
The reduce loud sounds thing is my favorite feature of the apple tv. I'm always paranoid about neighbors calling in a noise complaint on me while I'm watching Mission Impossible or whatever. And I love almost never having to mess with the volume as I go from show to show. I only have a soundbar but it seems like every action movie blu-ray ever is mixed really loving terribly and I always have to increase volume during dialogue scenes and decrease during action scenes, so not having to do that is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

thanks for the info! Hate volume juggling, I’ll just leave it on

Whoever is responsible for the YouTube app needs to be fired, good grief

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Whoever is responsible for the YouTube app needs to be fired, good grief
Which one? :v:

(The newer one finally showed up for me last week, weeks/months after my Switch)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The YouTube app plus the new remote has just demonstrated that the poo poo controls are due to the app, not the remote. Like I’m not really any better at jumping forward or back even though it’s much easier to press the right button. Oh well.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

japtor posted:

Which one? :v:

(The newer one finally showed up for me last week, weeks/months after my Switch)

D. All of the above

Fire any and all involved. It’s always been poo poo, YouTube connect works when it wants to. It’s all even worse after the new update

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
YouTube is crappy but Amazon prime video deserves some kind of award for how poo poo it is.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Youtube and Amazon are garbage apps

Disney + and Hulu are just a little bit above Youtube and Amazon

HBOMax is just a little bit below Netflix

I've never had a problem with Netflix.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
YouTube has always been pretty poo poo but now the play/pause button doesn’t play/pause anymore?! Or is it just me?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah it got a lot worse since the last update, lotta similar issues/bugs on reddit

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

smackfu posted:

Argh, has anyone else noticed Hulu saying that they have various movies available if you search for them with Siri, and then the page it links to doesn’t have any way to play the movie?

I can't think of a time I've successfully used Siri for anything other than checking my remote battery going back to my ATV HD. Am I the weird one? I have YouTube TV, Smarters for IPTV and a handful of Apps I use directly like Twitch, Amazon, NHK and never find myself needing it. I gave up on the TV app years ago because unless I'm going to watch something specific it's just a bunch of buy/subscribe/upgrade upsell poo poo for me.

So I guess I'm asking the thread's sagely wisdom- what's the use case for Siri for ATV, am I missing something? To me Siri is something you're more likely to accidentally invoke to interrupt what I'm doing than get any use from.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

i've only ever used it for cases like "youtube xyz video." Think that's it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The 'what did they just say?' function is neat to rewind a bit and turn subs on, but I always forget about it and do it by hand.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

EL BROMANCE posted:

The 'what did they just say?' function is neat to rewind a bit and turn subs on, but I always forget about it and do it by hand.

TIL, thanks

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I find that it’s pretty useful for figuring out which service has specific content.

And as with all things Apple, the more you’re invested in it, the more you get out of it.

I’ve got smart home stuff through HomeKit and having it all accessible via the tv (or whatever Apple device I’m using) is convenient. I really want a HomeKit doorbell camera which you can access via the AppleTV.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

i've only ever used it for cases like "youtube xyz video." Think that's it.

This actually works out pretty well, thanks!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Anything to avoid actually using the YouTube app’s interface.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Speaking of youtube, anyone else suffer a bug that if you being the Apple TV out of sleep and play a video in it, it only covers a quarter of the screen until you force kill and reopen it. Happened for months if not years for me but never seen anyone mention it. Wondering if it might be something to do with my receiver, but it’s the only app that does it.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Got the new remote and the buttons and logo are straight and it works great! I do notice that sometimes "clicking" on the swoopy part (YouTubeTV) makes it jump a few seconds, but not a huge deal. I like that you can turn it to just "click" in the settings as that's what I'll do for the one I'm giving to my mom.

CEC seems to be cooperating with my Sony TV/Yamaha amp better too.......:thumbsup: :tinfoil:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 4, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s a fuckin miracle pressing pause in YouTube finally brings up the video timeline.

Absolutely ridiculous it took that long.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I was gonna say Best Buy had the 32GB open box online for $162 but looks like I got the last/only one. I guess keep checking their listing if you want one for less. The 64GB for $180 is still there as of right now though!

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I just killed my HBO Max sub. I realized I hadn't watched anything with HBO in the last several months except the Snyder Cut JL and GvK. That plus the fact that playback is a complete poo poo-show now with the app I'm done.

Disney+ is pretty close to its way out the door too. Or at least I'll be adopting my Netflix strategy of only actively subbing when there's content I want to watch and then unsubbing immediately after watching.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Yeah I rotate between a few services, there's no penalty for unsubscribing, I wouldn't be paying for HBO separately if it wasn't included with my cell phone plan. I'm going to put Netflix in that mix too and that was the one I always had a sub to. Since everyone's just trending towards their own libraries they 100% own stuff isn't going to expire anymore [barring some Disney Vault style just removing it out of spite which I'm sure is coming].

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The top ATT unlimited plan has HBO Max for “free.”

I only have it because the cost as the same as their lower unlimited thanks to a work discount only on the top tier plan.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

I've been reading this stuff about the changes in the HBO Max update, and I'm thinking, "It can't be that bad." Holy poo poo, it's bad. Scrubbing and skipping is completely broken, at least with the new remote with swiping enabled. I switched over to a Fire TV for HBO and found that they hosed it up there too, just not as bad. It's breathtaking how badly they've screwed this up.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just watch all my shows start to finish so don’t have these issues :smug: *

*I am actually not sure why I still sub to HBO since I haven’t watched anything on there in literally months.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

CygnusTM posted:

I've been reading this stuff about the changes in the HBO Max update, and I'm thinking, "It can't be that bad." Holy poo poo, it's bad. Scrubbing and skipping is completely broken, at least with the new remote with swiping enabled. I switched over to a Fire TV for HBO and found that they hosed it up there too, just not as bad. It's breathtaking how badly they've screwed this up.

AT&T is p much known for loving up otherwise good and functional things for stupid reasons and, somehow, always appearing to be about 8 years behind everyone else.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Boy, I sure do hate the new MLB app.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Look like the native player is coming back to HBO Max.

https://twitter.com/aforssell/status/1402349448856948737?s=20

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
Looks like that update is already on the tvOS app store. Just in time for the season finale of Hacks.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I'm going to guess some dev director at HBO was making big promises about a single codebase for all releases if they wrote their own player. Still don't get how it shipped that broken, though.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

idk if this is news but????

Costco Members: Apple TV 4K Streaming Media Player (2021) 64GB $190, 32GB $170 + Free Shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/15077086-apple-tv-4k-32gb-a12-2021-latest-costco-169-99-fs?src=frontpage

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

idk if this is news but????

Costco Members: Apple TV 4K Streaming Media Player (2021) 64GB $190, 32GB $170 + Free Shipping

https://slickdeals.net/f/15077086-apple-tv-4k-32gb-a12-2021-latest-costco-169-99-fs?src=frontpage

drat I just checked costco.ca and the 32gb is priced identically to apple store and the 64 is $2 less but oos, meh.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

For any UK/EU goons, Amazon is apparently selling the new remote for £19: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FG0ZVEI?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE. Many people on HUKD doubt it's actually the latest version but you can always send it back.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Gay Retard posted:

This usually happens when you've gone far as far "back" as possible, yes? Not the worst thing from a usability perspective, but I've definitely accidentally exited an app when I didn't mean to. I haven't really noticed - do all apps do this?

I personally love the new remote, and I'm excited for every app to add clickwheel scrolling, even though swiping works well enough for me for scrubbing through a video. As much as a real directional pad was needed, I do find myself using the swiping gestures a lot with the new remote. I'll probably buy another for the older Apple TV 4K that's going in the bedroom.

The app in question hasn't been updated since 2017, so I blame that on the fact that when I hit back while watching a video it drops me to the Apple TV homescreen, and not the list of videos like it should.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

SuperTeeJay posted:

For any UK/EU goons, Amazon is apparently selling the new remote for £19: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FG0ZVEI?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE. Many people on HUKD doubt it's actually the latest version but you can always send it back.
According to the most recent reviews it looks like the remote for the second/third gen model.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Boy, I sure do hate the new MLB app.

How do we get traction for this like HBO? I have no idea what they were trying for, but removing the standings page makes me unreasonably mad.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

savesthedayrocks posted:

How do we get traction for this like HBO? I have no idea what they were trying for, but removing the standings page makes me unreasonably mad.

Not only that, but it shows you the current score for every game EXCEPT your team’s game. For that it only shows the matchup and the “Watch Live” button.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It probably assumes you don’t want the score spoiled for your team?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

You can hide all scores in settings. Doesn’t solve everything but solves that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
No, I want to see the score so I know whether I want to turn on the game