Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

A severe lack of sufficient mental healthcare in Japan. This one was mentally unhinged too.
could you not talk about the mentally ill like theyre monsters or something lol

edit: and also not talk like poo poo like this doesnt happen in the us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Threatening to perform homicidal arson is a way to get a rise out of people, especially if you're someone who otherwise has zero other means of impacting the real world.

But people have to take that seriously, because it turns it's actually a dangerously easy thing to do. And unlike with gun control, you can't restrict and licence the sale of gasoline, not if you want to live in a modern industrial society with motor transportation.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

Threatening to perform homicidal arson is a way to get a rise out of people, especially if you're someone who otherwise has zero other means of impacting the real world.

But people have to take that seriously, because it turns it's actually a dangerously easy thing to do. And unlike with gun control, you can't restrict and licence the sale of gasoline, not if you want to live in a modern industrial society with motor transportation.

They are putting restrictions on sale of gas in Japan though.

The Japan Times posted:

Japanese government to tighten gasoline sale rules after Kyoto arson attack

Oct 27, 2019
The government will tighten rules on the sale of gasoline following a deadly arson attack on a Kyoto Animation Co. studio in July, officials said Saturday.

The Fire and Disaster Management Agency will revise an ordinance and oblige gas stations and other sellers to conduct ID checks and ask customers the reason for the purchase, possibly starting next February, the officials said.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

CrazySalamander posted:

They are putting restrictions on sale of gas in Japan though.

They should probably ban sales to people wanting to fill out jerry cans (without a certified reason); won't stop people from trying to funnel out the gas in their car but it adds extra steps.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Raenir Salazar posted:

They should probably ban sales to people wanting to fill out jerry cans (without a certified reason); won't stop people from trying to funnel out the gas in their car but it adds extra steps.

meh, there are tons of uses of gasoline besides in your car.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice

IShallRiseAgain posted:

BBQ's in your backyard?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cologne!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

ah, someone who has never had to mow they own lawn

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Washing your clothes!

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
sometimes I need to dissolve an absurd amount styrofoam

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Oh Snapple! posted:

ah, someone who has never had to mow they own lawn

Yeah, I'm assuming everyone lives in an apartment or pays somebody to do maintenance of their house, because otherwise you pretty much need gas. (You can probably get an electric lawnmower, but I'd be surprised if anyone has an electric snowblower.)

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Yeah, I'm assuming everyone lives in an apartment or pays somebody to do maintenance of their house, because otherwise you pretty much need gas. (You can probably get an electric lawnmower, but I'd be surprised if anyone has an electric snowblower.)

One of my neighbors has one, it is really nice. I'm getting one by this fall. Actually I'm replacing ALL my yard tools with battery electric. Caught the EV bug and realized if it is good enough to drive me to work every day, its good enough to do the yard work. There are a lot more options out there now than there were even 5 years ago and they are rapidly approaching flat out superiority to gas powered tools.

I would say look on the bright side, this type of event is still rare enough that we hear about it even though we are almost on the other side of the world. Meanwhile shootings in America are so incredibly common it barely even makes the local news anymore. I live in a small city a few miles off from the middle of nowhere in the midwest and the daily news is usually "police responded to a report of shots fired at xx and xx yesterday and recovered shell casings/bodies/etc", the truly notable news is when there is a stretch of time more than a day or two where there isn't a recorded shooting.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I have a battery powered lawnmower.

... unfortunately the side lawn is kind of enormous and the power runs out doing just that. Need more batteries. Which are extremely expensive.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
In a desperate attempt to try to divert this derail back onto the tracks, has anyone ever made an anime about lawn mowers? Or gardeners/landscapers? And if not, what sort of show would you want like that? Would it be a gentle, slice-of-life series, or would it be a fighting anime like DBZ? Or maybe a horror anime where the main character fights zombies with their blessed lawn mower and weed whacker? INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW! :magemage:

(I remember that Zoroku from "Alice & Zoroku" is a florist, but that doesn't count. No lawn mowers.)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think that would fly because very few people in japan have lawns.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Doodles posted:

In a desperate attempt to try to divert this derail back onto the tracks, has anyone ever made an anime about lawn mowers?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah you have to get really, really out in the sticks for people to start having their own yards in japan. its a tiny island with a fairly large population.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

even in rural parts you'll see gardens moreso than grass lawns

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Good. Grass lawns are basically terrible in every respect.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

yeah you have to get really, really out in the sticks for people to start having their own yards in japan. its a tiny island with a fairly large population.
Then why is Shikoku so sparsely populated?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

open a map and look around

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Then why is Shikoku so sparsely populated?
because shikoku is a tinier island with a not as large population.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

chumbler posted:

Good. Grass lawns are basically terrible in every respect.

It's plants you can stand on. That's pretty good when the alternative is concrete.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Brutal Garcon posted:

It's plants you can stand on. That's pretty good when the alternative is concrete.

The alternative is plants other than grass. Clover's a good one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Brutal Garcon posted:

It's plants you can stand on.

Except when you can't

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
At least we know where y'all stand now. :haw:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Supremezero posted:

The alternative is plants other than grass. Clover's a good one.

trees. preferably fruit trees

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wark Say posted:

At least we know where y'all stand now. :haw:

In the shade?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brutal Garcon posted:

Then why is the lawn separated by the sidewalk made of concrete

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm really enjoying Shadows House, but it really feels like one of those shows like The Expanse or Game of Thrones where they're stuck burning a season just to get everything in place for the story they actually want to tell. I hope it gets a second cour at least.

Malsangoroth
Apr 2, 2015

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm really enjoying Shadows House, but it really feels like one of those shows like The Expanse or Game of Thrones where they're stuck burning a season just to get everything in place for the story they actually want to tell. I hope it gets a second cour at least.

Same. It's had a leisurely pace thus far, but I've been enjoying it. It really does feel like we're only scratching the surface of the mysteries presented. But considering how some other high-profile anime adaptations have been stupidly rushed (Tower of God, Promised Neverland S2, etc), I'm glad it's getting the time to breathe. Hopefully it's successful enough to get that elusive second season.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New thread :toot:

quote:

Blue Reflection Ray
J.C.Staff | Risako Yoshida | Akiko Waba | Magic, School | Game | Apr 10, 2021
A clear summer sky spreads over the Hoshinomiya Girls' High School. This story begins with the belated start of school life for Hinako Shirai, who has just recovered from a leg injury due to a tragic accident. The magical sisters Yuzu and Lime bestowed her with a special power to become a "Reflector." Hinako transforms into the magical Reflector form and protects the world from devastating forces for the sake of the world, and her own dream that she thought she had to give up on.
PV
Thread

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Malsangoroth posted:

Same. It's had a leisurely pace thus far, but I've been enjoying it. It really does feel like we're only scratching the surface of the mysteries presented. But considering how some other high-profile anime adaptations have been stupidly rushed (Tower of God, Promised Neverland S2, etc), I'm glad it's getting the time to breathe. Hopefully it's successful enough to get that elusive second season.

I don't think it's an issue of the mysteries at-large (though you are right in that regard), it's more that it feels like the show's holding it's breath waiting for a chance to drop the other shoe on its actual premise. Like the Protomolecule infesting Deimos in the Expanse or Ned Stark's execution in Game of Thrones at the end of their respective first seasons to kick off the real main plot.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Congrats to uma musume season two’s first bluray with becoming the second best selling anime of all time, beating evangelion, bakemonogatari and madoka. Only the invincible Golden Eggs still reigns at number 1

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Davincie posted:

Congrats to uma musume season two’s first bluray with becoming the second best selling anime of all time, beating evangelion, bakemonogatari and madoka. Only the invincible Golden Eggs still reigns at number 1

Gotta get those Support SSRs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

uma musume season 2 is actually very good.

that said cygames mobage bribery blurays feel a bit like cheating.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What the hell is Golden Eggs

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

unfortunately it's not exactly setting this season on fire popularity wise. I'm expecting something like land of the lustrous where it builds to an important revelation for the MC and then has an open ending

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Strange Quark posted:

Then why is the lawn separated by the sidewalk made of concrete

In northern climates, at least around where I live, it's so you can clear where people would be walking.

Can't wait for the next Super Cub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Malsangoroth posted:

If you can believe it they've actually sped things up quite a bit, the first handful of chapters were much more maudlin and understated (a lot like the authors' previous work Kuro) where the setting was even more inscrutable and mysterious as you slowly learned things through Emilico's eyes. The current story in the anime was indeed supposed to be a bit of a watershed moment so I can understand why they tried to make sure to get it in but it is a bit of a shame because I did like those early stories.