Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

:same:

I watched my DVD of Aliens (because a UHD doesn't exist yet, and I'm trying to avoid a quad dip) the other night, and yeah, even in SD it looks a hell of a lot better than it did when I was growing up watching the VHS tape.

Although now I'm wondering if there is any sort of hardware out there that you can plug an HDMI cable into that would simulate the days of getting a lovely rear end rental tape

I don't know if all of the MVD blu-rays have this feature, but My Samurai has a VHS version as a bonus feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

I've considered more than a few times getting a laserdisc player and there's no way I'd run it on anything but my Panasonic 1080i CRT.

e: I guess to make the experience as accurate as possible, you need to get a 600lb+ 60 inch CRT. And a period-appropriate stereo receiver.

No, no, no. You've got it wrong. Laserdiscs need to be watched on one of those gigantic rear screen projection TVs.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

CPL593H posted:

No, no, no. You've got it wrong. Laserdiscs need to be watched on one of those gigantic rear screen projection TVs.

That was going to be my first choice, I remember being really impressed by my uncle's rear projection TV when I was a kid, but then I read about them later and how they're probably worse than you remember. They're literally just smaller CRTs inside of a hollow shell that blows the image up on a larger screen. But it looked so cool playing my cousin's Sega Genesis on a screen twice my size.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

My Mr. Dink-esque neighbor had one and I remember being blown away every time I saw it. One time during a party or something I remember seeing the end of the Muppet Movie on it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

That was going to be my first choice, I remember being really impressed by my uncle's rear projection TV when I was a kid, but then I read about them later and how they're probably worse than you remember. They're literally just smaller CRTs inside of a hollow shell that blows the image up on a larger screen. But it looked so cool playing my cousin's Sega Genesis on a screen twice my size.

People didn't have them for the picture quality they had them because they were big. It's kind of crazy to me that we went from that being a niche thing that only cool uncles had where now everyone's got a huge goddamn tv on their wall and they cost less than half of what the old big screen TVs cost.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Even as a kid I remember thinking they were dark and washed out. Cool, but the screen quality was awful.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had a lot of love for my mid 00s Sony LCD rear projection, they’d managed to nail it by that point. Of course then I haaaaad to get a plasma…

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Fly Ricky posted:

Even as a kid I remember thinking they were dark and washed out. Cool, but the screen quality was awful.

Yep. And with absolutely terrible viewing angles.

Biff Rockgroin
Jun 17, 2005

Go to commercial!

I'm sure it's been asked before, but what is the go-to site for buying region free 4k players?

I'm starting to end up with UHD Blurays but I have no way to play them, and at the same time, I never got around to buying a region free Blu-Ray player, so I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone if possible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

https://www.220-electronics.com/region-free-blu-ray-players.html

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

EL BROMANCE posted:

I had a lot of love for my mid 00s Sony LCD rear projection, they’d managed to nail it by that point. Of course then I haaaaad to get a plasma…

The 00's really did have a lot of options. During the 90's we had a rather large tube for the time, I didn't know sizes back then so no clue what it was maybe 36" but that was huge!

Then the early 00's rolled around and my dad upgraded to a HD projector clocking in at 720p. That was huge but it only lasted until the light burnt out a second time and he upgraded to a flat panel. The thing didn't even last 5 years.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I can second these guys, that’s where I got my region free player.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I was sold on one of SRS Cinema's new preorders on the facts that it was in the kaiju section and that the trailer, while still really cool, gives no hint of kaijus. I hope it being in the kaiju section isn't a spoiler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maXVS0nnKWc

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
LOTR 4k down to $71 on Amazon, price-matched by Best Buy. I was on my last day of price match and got it!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Looks like the Heat UHD got a new release date, 8/31.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

If anyone’s wondering how the Indy 4Ks turned out, Raiders looks loving spectacular.

I imagine no one is shocked by this news.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Cameo posted:

If anyone’s wondering how the Indy 4Ks turned out, Raiders looks loving spectacular.

They're available for purchase now? :derp:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Cameo posted:

It’s out? My copy on Amazon hasn’t shipped.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I was going to complain that the Blus only came out not that long ago, but apparently “not that long ago” was 9 years. Of course I’ll still pick them up.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Looking online the new transfers look great for the trilogy, even Kingdom looks good!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm very hyped for the Indy set but trying not to get overly hyped because who knows when my copy will ship. It took like a month for my Good, the Bad and the Ugly to ship.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Basebf555 posted:

Looks like the Heat UHD got a new release date, 8/31.

I swear to God if they let us think it's happening and then it just doesn't...

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'm going to get the steelbook set for Indy at Best Buy on Tuesday. They aren't going to be carrying the regular set, but all stores will have the steelbooks. Can't place an order yet at their site, but I should be able to early Tuesday morning. Same issue as the Last Action Hero UHD steelbook a few weeks ago. Amazon is complete trash now, for anything not on a boutique label I just use Best Buy.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1401637284546502668?s=20

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Oh boooo, Amazon delayed my Indy preorder. May just cancel it if I can walk into best buy or something in the next day or two and just grab it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

Oh boooo, Amazon delayed my Indy preorder. May just cancel it if I can walk into best buy or something in the next day or two and just grab it.

I'm gonna try to get it at a store today too, and if I can find it I'll just cancel my preorder. I'm not messing around with this one I want it in my hands ASAP.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

I'm gonna try to get it at a store today too, and if I can find it I'll just cancel my preorder. I'm not messing around with this one I want it in my hands ASAP.

I went to Best Buy over lunch and no dice, not even a spot for it. Good luck!

Also the whole movie section looked like the final days of K-Mart. Half of it was just empty leaving plenty of copies of movies no one has ever heard of.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

I went to Best Buy over lunch and no dice, not even a spot for it. Good luck!

Also the whole movie section looked like the final days of K-Mart. Half of it was just empty leaving plenty of copies of movies no one has ever heard of.

At my Best Buy they never put out new releases until like the week after they were supposed to come out. Which in this case actually works in my favor because when I go there after work there's still a decent chance there will be an Indy set still sitting in the back when otherwise maybe it would've been picked from the shelf already.

The employees have no problem going to the back to check if I show them that the website says they have a copy in stock.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Mine didn’t even have the steelbooks in yet. The standard seems to be sold out on their site as well. Guess I’ll wait for Amazon to get it together.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I'm in Minneapolis and the best buy I go to is the one that's literally in the same block as their corporate HQ, so it's always stocked and up to date, and let me make something very clear for everyone: the movie section is going away. They have less than a full aisle at this location, and it's all Disney and marvel stuff, then just the most basic TV shows and new releases you can think of, in very small quantities. I don't think best buy physical locations are going to be a place to get anything within the next five years, if the company as a whole doesn't collapse.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

One day people will go back to work and they'll relinquish all the UHD's they bought because they were home all the time and things will be easier to get once again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

I'm in Minneapolis and the best buy I go to is the one that's literally in the same block as their corporate HQ, so it's always stocked and up to date, and let me make something very clear for everyone: the movie section is going away. They have less than a full aisle at this location, and it's all Disney and marvel stuff, then just the most basic TV shows and new releases you can think of, in very small quantities. I don't think best buy physical locations are going to be a place to get anything within the next five years, if the company as a whole doesn't collapse.

Oh yea that writing has been on the wall for a few years now. The days of just strolling in there and browsing around for random stuff is long over, but if you know the release dates and show up on that day, you still have a good shot at finding it if you're willing to ask them to look in the back. There's just very few people coming in asking for physical media so they hardly ever bother putting new stuff out on the shelf, you have to ask for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I was able to place an order for the Indy steelbook set through the Best Buy app for pickup at my local store today, I placed the order just now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It says I could have ordered it online and picked it up in a couple hours, but I just shipped it to myself. I wanted to take a walk at lunch rather be than run into Best Buy so it’s fine.

I went into Best Buy a few years ago for a Rogue One steel book, and they turned out to not have any despite the website saying otherwise. Lady I talked to says “Well the closest store that has any is [Hometown 150 miles away], but you probably don’t want to go all the way there right?”. I ordered it and had my brother pick it up for me.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
If anyone's keen, Second Sight's limited edition of Lake Mungo just became available.

It's a haunting little Australian film that deserves a much bigger audience.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 9, 2021

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It basically becomes a positive feedback loop at some point. Demand goes down, so physical location's have no stock, so demand goes down so they start stocking less and then demand goes down and so they start stocking less and then demand goes down...

I don't know if I have purchased a movie physically outside of the Barnes and Noble criterion sales. Otherwise, I'm just getting them shipped to my house.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Vince MechMahon posted:

This is wild to me. 15 years ago I worked as seasonal help at Best Buy in the media section. It took up a good 1/3 of the store between music, movies, and video games. The movies alone were probably a good 10 aisles.

DVDs were the main thing people came in for while Christmas shopping. We struggled to keep product on the shelves, and somehow I was the only person in the department there who could reliably put things in alphabetical order, so sometimes they'd have me spend my entire shift in the back organizing movies to put out on the shelves. When I was out on the floor, people would have so many questions about movies that I often would just take their list from them and grab everything for them. They all loved it since I just saved them so much time.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
People are way too content to just stream things with inferior sound and picture quality. Humanity was a mistake

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

One thing I find really annoying about Prime Streaming is that even with a fast connection, and even pausing for a few seconds immediately, the first 10 to 20 seconds of something will often be blurry. For gently caress sake just buffer properly before starting. Streaming has been commonplace for more than a decade now and you still have poo poo like that happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Casimir Radon posted:

One thing I find really annoying about Prime Streaming is that even with a fast connection, and even pausing for a few seconds immediately, the first 10 to 20 seconds of something will often be blurry. For gently caress sake just buffer properly before starting. Streaming has been commonplace for more than a decade now and you still have poo poo like that happening.

That's not limited to just Prime, a lot of them do it. The advertisements are crystal clear every damned time on ad based services somehow.