Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

FilthyImp posted:

HFR is apparently so detailed that viewers pick up on micro-expressions and performances come off as more "acted" than 24fps.

There's also the growing pains that set, lights, Costumes Costumes makeup will go through as HFR causes the disciplines to adapt new standards -- i.e. the audiences that could tell things in The Hobbit were painted props, etc.

Was watching Amazon's The Tick with the interpolation on when I first got it, and indoor sets were always obviously sets; it kept disrupting my suspension of disbelief.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It makes me wonder how the hallways in Star Trek TNG would hold up. Some of those long corridors were POV backdrops to give the hall mode depth.

And in that very series we have the dangers of changes in technology revealing shortcuts and limits: the HD versions of the show reveal stuff like black construction paper on the LCARS screens to blot out stage light reflections.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Iirc in the TNG technical manual one of the footnotes says they used to use mirrors to extend them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ended up watching Independence Day all the way through last night after loading it up on Amazon Prime just to see what the 4k looked like. It's blowing my mind how much sharper and brighter things look.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

The good one, or the new one?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Mister Facetious posted:

There is a good one?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Most American movie ever made. :patriot:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
ID4 in 4k would probably weird me out because when the DVD came out I noticed the CGI alien ships didn't have motion blur and it just stood the gently caress out.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

ID4 in 4k would probably weird me out because when the DVD came out I noticed the CGI alien ships didn't have motion blur and it just stood the gently caress out.

I think they're animated at a higher framerate too, because they look oddly smooth in the wide shots compared to everything else.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

90's original all the way.

Moving ship shots do look a little fake, but that's really outweighed by all the detail you can see in the awesome models.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sony XBR75X950H + $100 Visa gift card + 4 year extended warranty - $1,998 shipped at BuyDig

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Seems like people on reddit buy the extended warranties more than I expected. Looking at a C1 77" from Best Buy and I guess their warranty actually protects against burn in? I even get it at a big discount and it still feels like a lot at once. Over the course of 5 years it's not much at all though.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's like the one electronics item that I spend a ton of money on and I want it to be replaced if I gently caress up or if the TV is hosed up.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KingKapalone posted:

Seems like people on reddit buy the extended warranties more than I expected. Looking at a C1 77" from Best Buy and I guess their warranty actually protects against burn in? I even get it at a big discount and it still feels like a lot at once. Over the course of 5 years it's not much at all though.

Yeah, I got the Best Buy extended warranty for my 65" C9. From all the stories I could find they've been very good about covering burn in, which is like OLED's only flaw (apart from cost). Honestly I got it mostly for the peace of mind - I can do whatever I want with this TV and not have to worry about burn in.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
Yeah, I consider extended warranties to be scams in almost every instance except TVs and phones, phones because they usually cover drops, and TVs because in my (totally anecdotal) experience they either break in the first 3 years or never.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
So it covers burn in, dead pixels, and stuff that could happen other than having a kid throw a toy at it? I'll end up having kids during this TV's lifetime so I guess I have to think about that now.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RichterIX posted:

Yeah, I consider extended warranties to be scams in almost every instance except TVs and phones, phones because they usually cover drops, and TVs because in my (totally anecdotal) experience they either break in the first 3 years or never.

Replace phones with refrigerators because they're built like poo poo these days and fail constantly.

Also the TV I bought at Costco came with a 7 year warranty at no cost.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
I ended up having to use my Sony warranty in the first year for my x930e, first the tv wouldn't turn on so I got a replacement power brick and then it kept happening with the new power brick until my tv just wouldn't turn on, I had to have the board replaced.

My issue is that that replacement bpard messed with my default settings so the Cinema Pro or Expert settings were way too brown and would have benefited from calibration, but it really didn't make sense to spend an extra $500 which was half what I paid for the tv at the time.

Anyway, warranties aren't that bad, you never know when you'll use them.

Animale fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 3, 2021

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I have an LG CX coming tomorrow but the PS5 is still MIA. Do the onboard apps (netflix, hulu, amazon streaming) support 4K HDR streaming (I'll be hardwired to ethernet)? Or do I need to buy a roku or something until the PS5 is available?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The WebOS apps on LG TVs are fully featured and pretty drat good and the magic remote is brilliant.

I would be really surprised if anyone enjoyed using a game console to stream over them.

You shouldn't need to hardwire unless you're wireless is really lovely.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse

bull3964 posted:

The WebOS apps on LG TVs are fully featured and pretty drat good and the magic remote is brilliant.

I would be really surprised if anyone enjoyed using a game console to stream over them.

You shouldn't need to hardwire unless you're wireless is really lovely.

I'm a little faster entering text for searches using my PS4 controller than I am with the LG remote, but if I didn't need it for streaming HBO Max I would be fine with the onboard apps.

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

I'm upgrading from an 8 year old TV. I can't remember what happened first - if the onboard app stopped opening because the app lost support, or if I lost the tv remote.

Side note... I hope that 8 years from now I'm equally amazed at the leap in quality

For reference, at CES 8 years ago a 4K OLED wasn't even being priced because it was still in the design phase, the first 1080p OLED was released for $12,000, and an 85 inch 4K Samsung was $20,000. Now it's on sale at Costco for under $2,000

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jun 3, 2021

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dignity Van Houten posted:

I'm upgrading from an 8 year old TV. I can't remember what happened first - if the onboard app stopped opening because the app lost support, or if I lost the tv remote.

Side note... I hope that 8 years from now I'm equally amazed at the leap in quality

For reference, at CES 8 years ago a 4K OLED wasn't even being priced because it was still in the design phase, the first 1080p OLED was released for $12,000, and an 85 inch 4K Samsung was $20,000. Now it's on sale at Costco for under $2,000

Thinking about this is exactly what kept me from pulling the trigger on an OLED and being content with just puttering along with my 3 year old TCL until it dies

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Figured i'd provide a brief trip report since there isn't a ton of info around on this TV yet: I got the new Hisense U6G 65" from BestBuy for $700 (still listed at that price), pretty happy after a couple days. It is their replacement for the H8G. RTings is currently testing it but techradar gave it a good review. No noticeable issues yet, I'm pleasantly surprised by the viewing angles and how it handles reflections. The sound isn't very good, but what do you expect there, and I have speakers. I don't intend to use it for gaming at all, and it probably isn't a good option if that is what you're looking for. Otherwise, it seems like a really good bang for your buck budget option right now if you're not a gamer - my impression was it would be at least a couple hundred dollars more for marginal gains for my usage, or more than double the money to get into oled territory. Worth a look if you want a 65 below 1k

G-Hawk fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 3, 2021

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

For the space constrained, Gigabyte has a 43" VA monitor with some desirable gamer goodies:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5US7UiTknc

USD $1099 tho :-/

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wow, I just looked at the ad blocks on my router and my TCL 6 pulls a shitload of…. something. I haven’t used the TV at all during this week, yet it still goes ham doing something that ends up in ad blocks. I promptly cut off its network access :v:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Never connect your new TV to the internet and use a 3rd party device for streaming like a Chromecast or an AppleTV.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

American McGay posted:

Never connect your new TV to the internet and use a 3rd party device for streaming like a Chromecast or an AppleTV.

The drat things need firmware updates from time to time tho. :(

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Any IoT device worth a drat should require firmware updates occasionally.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Anyone with astigmatism having trouble seeing letters when using HDR / high contrast?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Next refresh of Vizio line-ups announced: https://www.tomsguide.com/amp/news/vizio-2021-tv-lineup-quantum-dot-voice-control-improved-smartcast-and-more
("Editor's Note: June 2, 2021 Vizio has reached out to clarify that, while these new TVs are being announced and launched in 2021, they are officially known as the Vizio 2022 line.")

Just changed around some of my gaming crap and it has me looking at replacing my 27" Qnix monitor with a TV to get my display into the 'next gen' 4k+higher refresh rate tech - happy to see there's a 43" M series for $400 listed in there, be nice to have options besides the alleged 43" LG OLED that hopefully gets a more official announcement and release date soon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

McCracAttack posted:

I'll just unblock it long enough for it to do a firmware upgrade and send all my personal info off into the nether then block it again.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I have 600 GBP to spend on a 55 inch TV, and I want to buy it from richersounds.com because their 6 year guarantee is great and I am in this position because the two TVs I have tried so far have died on me.

This TV will be for streaming, mostly 1080p content, and also for use with a uhd blueray player, in an atmos system. I am struggling to balance picture quality, upscaling, local dimming etc, smart that isn't poo poo and buying a TV in the UK is a massive pain because they switch the model numbers around and make it really confusing.

Should I buy a Sony because they (seem) to have the best upscaling, and use with the Roku 4k I already have?

Or get an LG because it appears to have the best native smart features?

Or get a cheaper panel (TCL/hisense maybe?) and an nvidea shield (cigar version)? For reference I am looking at the hisense 55a6gtuk but I can't work out what it would be on rtings

I don't want to cross the divide to oled, because I can't justify the spend.

If it matters brightness isn't an issue because the room that it will be in is north facing. I don't have a Plex server and this room won't be for gaming, purely movies, TV and sports.

I'm probably over thinking this, but I feel like this price point is where there is the most risk of getting a lemon rather than a deal.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

McCracAttack posted:

couldcareless posted:

Any IoT device worth a drat should require firmware updates occasionally.

Exactly. A thing that connects to the internet but does not receive updates should be assumed to be vulnerable and treated accordingly. If it can't be updated, it shouldn't be connected to the internet or even to internet connected networks. If it absolutely must be connected to a network, it should be locked down to have the absolute minimum network access required for it to be useful.

Chromecast, AppleTV, etc are good ***because*** they receive regular updates and will for their useful lifespan, then when they lose support they can be replaced cheaply. As opposed to a TV where the manufacturer loses interest in supporting you once the next model year is out, because their goal is to sell more TVs.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My Sony TV does fw updates over USB :c00l:

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Wow, I just looked at the ad blocks on my router and my TCL 6 pulls a shitload of…. something. I haven’t used the TV at all during this week, yet it still goes ham doing something that ends up in ad blocks. I promptly cut off its network access :v:

Have you figured out a way to stop the light from flashing when not connected to a network, or did you do network based blocking?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

Have you figured out a way to stop the light from flashing when not connected to a network, or did you do network based blocking?

I haven’t seen a light flashing?
I use Eero Pros for my mesh system and blocked it at the router level. I have an ATV on that TV so I’m not losing anything.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

CancerCakes posted:

I have 600 GBP to spend on a 55 inch TV, and I want to buy it from richersounds.com because their 6 year guarantee is great and I am in this position because the two TVs I have tried so far have died on me.

Generally stay away from non OLED LGs, they use IPS panels which have poor blacks. The TCL models in the UK don't match up with the USA ones either but it looks like you've figured that out yourself.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

I haven’t seen a light flashing?
I use Eero Pros for my mesh system and blocked it at the router level. I have an ATV on that TV so I’m not losing anything.

I noticed on TCL 6 after a firmware update, if wifi is disconnected, the center led flashes every few seconds. Was just curious if a workaround was found or if blocking at the network level was the way to go.

Dyscrasia fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dyscrasia posted:

I noticed on TCL 6 after a firmware update, if wifi is disconnected, the center led flashes every few seconds. Was just curious if a workaround was found or if blocking at the network level was the way to go.

Haven’t seen that, but if I did, it would get the electrical tape treatment.

And the way eero pauses (what I did) connections, it still has an established wifi connection but will bring you to a “this device is paused” screen in a web browser.

I’m assuming if I straight up blocked it from connecting to eero, it would do the flashy LED thing.