Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Bucnasti posted:

Speaking of, here’s something lost in modern days. Cars used to overheat easily, and on long steep roads they would have little turnouts every couple miles with a barrel of water so you could refill your radiator. I remember when I was a kid I saw them along the grapevine in California and they were made of concrete, my dad explained that they had to stop using metal barrels because people (like him) would use the metal ones as target practice.

I remember my dad explaining the same thing as we crawwwwwled up the Grapevine at about 30-35mph in our 1971 air-cooled VW Bus. My dad would endlessly shift from second to third and back again, trying to eke another couple mph out of that poor 66hp motor.

Speaking of things you don’t see anymore, the Grapevine(and many other steep inclines) used to be lined with semi trucks in extremely low gears going 15-20mph blasting out huge clouds of black smoke. Like ‘coal-burning steam locomotive’ levels of black smoke.
Nowadays, even fully loaded trucks can generally hold fifth or sixth gear(assuming a 10-speed gearbox) and particulate filters + ultra-low sulfur diesel fuel keep soot to a bare minimum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I still feel guilty when I turn on the car air conditioning, even though it's been a couple of decades since using the air conditioner hurt your gas mileage.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the '80s, my Atlanta-living sister-in-law was shocked that it was possible to buy cars without air conditioning. Those models were never sold in the South.

I'm from Georgia. That's why the ad was so strange to me. Ford was highlighting these trucks in an area where there has only been measurable snowfall twice in the last 50 years.

Eventually, I'll upload the ads to YouTube. A lot of channels have commercials, but I figure I have some unique spots on these tapes.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I still feel guilty when I turn on the car air conditioning, even though it's been a couple of decades since using the air conditioner hurt your gas mileage.

poo poo, I'm a baller dumb rear end that has the AC on and the Sunroof open, and occasionally with the windows down too.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Gaius Marius posted:

IIRC the reason AC wasn't standard in cars was a marketing stunt, you advertise the base model super cheap, and then when they get to the lot they realize the only kind they got is an added 3 grand for power steering, AC, and power windows or whatever

My great grandfather had an AM radio taken out of a 62 Chevy he bought new as it was $12 and he didn't order it.

Some people are that cheap.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

AmbassadorofSodomy posted:

poo poo, I'm a baller dumb rear end that has the AC on and the Sunroof open, and occasionally with the windows down too.

Why?

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Bulgaroctonus posted:

you could plug a 1/4” Jack and play through guitar amps and pedals.

This is awesome-- I never had my rear end in gear enough to start a band, but once or twice I was tempted to buy a thrift store organ, run it through a bunch of fuzz and echo boxes and start my dream band (somewhere between Pizzicato Five and Hawkwind).

Alterian posted:

I blow a lot of people's minds when I tell them that none of my k-12 schools had air conditioning other than the library and a computer lab if it had one.

Yeah, at least here in the mid-Atlantic, air conditioning wasn't all that common until the late 90s-- our high school didn't have it, my house only had it in the living room, and your average cheap student apartment certainly didn't have it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
My horrible prison high school that I've already posted about didn't have air conditioning at all, and this was the 2000's. And there were rooms with no windows. When it got too hot they had to close the library because there were some incidents of kids getting heat exhaustion in there. I think they measured 104 degrees in the library at one point.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bucnasti posted:

Oh yeah that was the other thing, they were hugely inefficient and dragged down your engine, reducing power and mpg, and causing overheating. Modern cars are so much more efficient.

Speaking of, here’s something lost in modern days. Cars used to overheat easily, and on long steep roads they would have little turnouts every couple miles with a barrel of water so you could refill your radiator. I remember when I was a kid I saw them along the grapevine in California and they were made of concrete, my dad explained that they had to stop using metal barrels because people (like him) would use the metal ones as target practice.

Todays cars are ridiculously more powerful than cars of decades past. A new minivan could smoke a seventies muscle car, and it only gets worse from there.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Todays cars are ridiculously more powerful than cars of decades past. A new minivan could smoke a seventies muscle car, and it only gets worse from there.

Especially electric cars. You can get insane torque out of an electric motor, and all of it's available instantly.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Hybrids are basically “what if we take advantage of increases in engine performance for efficiency rather than power”?

Instead of giving the minivan an engine that could directly compete with a muscle car from the driver’s childhood, they give it one that can merely maintain speed going up an eight percent grade at seventy miles per hour, while fully laden and blasting the air conditioner.

You can’t actually sell a car that is that underpowered versus its contemporaries, so you throw in an electric motor that gives it a little extra torque to tap to not just maintain speed up the mountain, but accelerate to pass.

Now that you have that electric motor and the battery to power it aboard, you can do some nice things like regenerative braking, start/stop of the ICE while stopped or at low speed, and an electric compressor for air conditioning, but it’s mostly the “undersized” ICE that is responsible for efficiency gains.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 1, 2021

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Platystemon posted:

Power figures for old cars were literally complete lies. It was ridiculously easy to rig the tests and get whatever power figure the marketing dept asked for. Manufacturers would install the exact same engine in three models and claim one had 250hp, one 300hp, and one 350hp. Then in 1972 the US switched to the same power measurement standards as the rest of the world and suddenly all those "300hp" muscle cars turned out to have 200 if they were lucky.

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jun 1, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

My horrible prison high school that I've already posted about didn't have air conditioning at all, and this was the 2000's. And there were rooms with no windows. When it got too hot they had to close the library because there were some incidents of kids getting heat exhaustion in there. I think they measured 104 degrees in the library at one point.

Texas summer often ends up being less lovely than french summer for this reason. Toulouse is significantly cooler than the desert but any time I had to be indoors in my several-hundred-years-old apartment was miserable compared to being in a city that's mostly post-1980 and everything can blast air around the house. Eastern Canada was halfway between the two.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Cracker King posted:

Scott single ply is the worst and the bane of my childhood.

It’s like the only brand left on the shelf during shortages.

The CEO of American Motors put in single sheet/single ply TP dispensers in the company bathrooms to save money.

That worked out great, yes?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

VideoGameVet posted:

The CEO of American Motors put in single sheet/single ply TP dispensers in the company bathrooms to save money.

That worked out great, yes?
"Hmm, feels a bit flimsy, better stack four sheets at once to be sure." - everyone who encounters single ply in the wild

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

In the '80s, my Atlanta-living sister-in-law was shocked that it was possible to buy cars without air conditioning. Those models were never sold in the South.

I've lived my whole life in Texas and this thread is the first time I've ever heard of a car being sold without air conditioning, barring a used car where it was broken.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

pairofdimes posted:

There are still signs on the Grapevine telling drivers to turn off their AC to prevent overheating.

I distinctly remember my dad blasting the heater in the middle of a southern california summer in order to help keep his car from overheating. A college buddy of mine in a really lovely old camero had to blast his heater to manage heat while going up a mountain in winter, and we still had to pull over to let the car cool down even while surrounded by snow.

I kind of just assumed needing to turn off the AC / turn on the heater to prevent overheating was mostly something that lovely cars had to do, rather than something that just isn't really A Thing anymore.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Texas summer often ends up being less lovely than french summer for this reason. Toulouse is significantly cooler than the desert but any time I had to be indoors in my several-hundred-years-old apartment was miserable compared to being in a city that's mostly post-1980 and everything can blast air around the house. Eastern Canada was halfway between the two.

I had this same experience when moving from the mojave desert to the pacific northwest. The first several apartments I looked at didn't have AC, instead just boasting "well you get a great cross-breeze if you open the windows!" and I thought they were insane. Eventually I realized that no apartments there had AC. Coworkers / friends assured me that it's not needed, but they can go gently caress themselves as I spent god knows how many nights failing to sleep because my mattress was soaked with sweat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

CodfishCartographer posted:

I had this same experience when moving from the mojave desert to the pacific northwest. The first several apartments I looked at didn't have AC, instead just boasting "well you get a great cross-breeze if you open the windows!" and I thought they were insane. Eventually I realized that no apartments there had AC. Coworkers / friends assured me that it's not needed, but they can go gently caress themselves as I spent god knows how many nights failing to sleep because my mattress was soaked with sweat.
When I moved to the Bay Area in '01, the breeze came up from the Bay every evening about 6PM, and we only actually wanted air conditioning for about 6 days a year in July. For that, a room air conditioner was enough. Thanks to global warming, I was seriously thinking about retrofitting the whole house with a split system.

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

One reference I didn't understand growing up in the '80s is when people would refer to Barbie being a consort to GI Joe..

I did not know that in the '60s and '70s GI Joe was a 12-in figure and not the 3 and 3/4-in figure of the '80s.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

PeterCat posted:

One reference I didn't understand growing up in the '80s is when people would refer to Barbie being a consort to GI Joe..

I did not know that in the '60s and '70s GI Joe was a 12-in figure and not the 3 and 3/4-in figure of the '80s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGMI_mWmb7g

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

PeterCat posted:

Haha yeah she'd be like a comparative 20 foot tall, very unrealistic, nobody would be into that, now if you don't mind I've not opened twitter in about a year and OH MY LORD

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
King of the Hill had an episode where Hank used the heat to prevent overheating his POS truck.

oh god is KotH old media now?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

PhazonLink posted:

King of the Hill had an episode where Hank used the heat to prevent overheating his POS truck.

oh god is KotH old media now?

I remember the first car I ever owned that I could drive up the I15 from LA to Vegas, AC blasting in the over 100ºF heat, without the temp gauge ever going into the red.

A new 1995 Nissan 240SX.

Before that, sometimes there were issues.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Some newer cars still have that problem. The PT Cruiser is notorious for having "exactly enough" cooling, which often turns out to not actually be enough.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The PT Cruiser is probably the shittiest car produced in the last 20 years.

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

The best thing about this ad is that the car it was advertising was actually no longer being made, so if you saw this ad, and went to your Nissan dealer to get a 300zx, they would shrug, and try to get you to buy another model. This was the start of the era when Nissan started going down the tube, and ended up being rescued from bankruptcy by Renault a few years later.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

RCarr posted:

If you're tall, the front windshield distorts your view.

It's a POS

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Toupee Groupie posted:

The best thing about this ad is that the car it was advertising was actually no longer being made, so if you saw this ad, and went to your Nissan dealer to get a 300zx, they would shrug, and try to get you to buy another model. This was the start of the era when Nissan started going down the tube, and ended up being rescued from bankruptcy by Renault a few years later.

Now they just have CVT"s that self destruct.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RCarr posted:

I don’t know anything about cars but I got linked to this YouTube channel recently and I thought their idea of where the PT Cruiser fit culturally and market-wise was interesting and insightful https://youtu.be/hoxqtnI4I4c

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

In the second hour, the participants were asked to sit down on the floor, like children, and use scissors and a pile of magazines to cut out collages of words they thought described the vehicle. At that point their chief concern about the prototype became clearer: It looked insubstantial and unsafe.

The discomfort was particularly notable with the focus groups in the U.S., where hatchbacks don't sell as well as they do in Europe. In the conversation after the collage making, many participants suggested the rear hatch's large window would let prying outsiders see in and make the car dangerous if hit from behind. Accustomed to hatchbacks, a group in Paris was more concerned about the car's utility than its safety. It described the prototype, Bostwick remembers, as a tantalizingly wrapped box under a Christmas tree that promised a great gift but didn't deliver one.

The result: The Chrysler team went back to the drawing board and later introduced a foam model of removable seats. That and a front passenger seat that folds forward to make a tray that can hold a laptop have become among the PT Cruiser's most talked-about features.

The third hour was perhaps the most bizarre--but also the most productive. Rapaille asked the participants to lie down on the floor. Then he dimmed the lights, began playing tapes of soothing music and told the group to relax.

Rapaille gave the participants pen and paper and asked them to write stories triggered by the prototype they had just seen. In the first focus groups, the stories centered again on toys. In later groups, when Rapaille asked participants to write about what they hoped the PT Cruiser would become, the stories contrasted a dangerous outside world with a secure interior of the car.

The general sentiment was that the participants wanted more of a sport-utility vehicle. "It's a jungle out there," says Rapaille, recalling the message. "It's Mad Max. People want to kill me, rape me." The consultant's message to the designers: "Give me a big thing like a tank."

So the designers made the PT Cruiser look tougher. They bulked up the fenders, giving the car a "kind of bulldog stance from the rear," says Nesbitt, the designer. And they made the rear window smaller, increasing the amount of sheet metal in the hatch to make it look stronger.

The result: a vehicle that thrills some and puts off others.

http://web.archive.org/web/20160531...imlerchrysler/2

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
America...have you tried to talk about these feelings to someone?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Fish of hemp posted:

I can assure you we have not.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Fish of hemp posted:

*sitting in a giant metal penis* sounds gay

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Jesus, I feel like someone did find/replace with J.G. Ballard's Why I want to gently caress Ronald Reagan. Weird.

(Just a warning if you google that, but it's proto-Crash.)

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arivia posted:

I don’t know anything about cars but I got linked to this YouTube channel recently and I thought their idea of where the PT Cruiser fit culturally and market-wise was interesting and insightful https://youtu.be/hoxqtnI4I4c

Regular Car Reviews is one of my all-time favorite things on youtube and I'm not even a car guy.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Regular Car Reviews is one of my all-time favorite things on youtube and I'm not even a car guy.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it and i am not a car person. Is this review a shitpost or is it gonna be a philosophy lesson?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Arivia posted:

Yeah, I'm really enjoying it and i am not a car person. Is this review a shitpost or is it gonna be a philosophy lesson?

They're all like that -- they do cover the car itself of course, but it's largely a portrait of the kind of person who drives/drove it, and they're usually spot-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uH_X-9fjfI

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It gets a little old, or maybe he just covered every car I cared about, but it was a favorite of mine for a long, long time, so any new viewer is in for a treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Jesus Christ do I hate the modern marketing obsession with emotion over substance