Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Source

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I hate FF5's Beastmaster costume.

Also, I suggest removing that image for your sanity.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

W.T. Fits posted:

You have better options for armor and accessories than the Rainbow Dress and the Red Shoes, both of which basically only offer you Confusion immunity (Berserkers are innately immune to Confuse due to permanent Berserk status) and an increased chance of getting Sword Dance when using !Dance (which Berserkers can only do randomly if you give them the Dancing Dagger).

Rainbow Dress actually has the same defense stat as Crystal Armor, the best buyable heavy armor in the game, at a fraction of the weight (and thus Agility penalty). If you're running more than one heavy armor user I'd almost suggest knifing up an extra dress for your zerk and letting the other heavy get the Genji Armor at the end. It's a moot point if your Zerk is the only heavy armor user or you don't want to thief knife things (there's a free Crystal Armor in the pyramid and the buyable ones almost immediately after) but it's still a consideration. That said, unlike Ribbons, it's a nice bonus because you already have the equip skill stapled on, not a reason to staple it on by itself.

Red Shoes are useless even for Dancers because you have better footwear earlier.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 29, 2021

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
I still maintain that Equip Harps is probably the best thing to put on a Berserker, all things being considered.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

ReWinter posted:

After successfully fiesta-ing for the first time last year with a very easy team, I'd like to try some pure chaos shenanigans. Do people normally use the fiesta patch or just freelancer until whatever their first job is? And do you still add one job to your team per crystal or if you get ie BLM and WHM do you bring them both in at wind?

Personally I play without the fiesta patch, and I only add one job per crystal. If I ever do the Advanced jobs again I'd do the fiesta patch though, because it's really annoying waiting for those to show up (mime is bad enough).

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
Exdeath 0.4.1 released, and I don't want to hear nothin' about the release notes.

Also we got a new PAD patch but despite my size edit and the formation editor it's assuming classic left-NED position. I don't know what's up with that, so I'm seriously considering removing it in the next release. Also, because full-size replacers are doing things like…

…that, I'm going to decline full-size NEDs until we figure out what's going on.

Doomtrain looks sweet, though.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Aerdan posted:

Exdeath 0.4.1 released, and I don't want to hear nothin' about the release notes.

Also we got a new PAD patch but despite my size edit and the formation editor it's assuming classic left-NED position. I don't know what's up with that, so I'm seriously considering removing it in the next release. Also, because full-size replacers are doing things like…

…that, I'm going to decline full-size NEDs until we figure out what's going on.

Doomtrain looks sweet, though.

:stoked:

If anyone has sprites they want to submit but don't have the time to edit them to fit, quote me with them here or on the Discord and I'll take a crack.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Oh man, please tell me there’s a comedy patch for the GBA version in this vein.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

I don't know who said it, but this thread does feel like coming home again. In fact, this might've been the last thread I posted in since the last event! (Not for any real reason, less online time and more actually playing video games after multiple computer failures).

Also, I have a stupid plan for this year and have already spent money towards it. :ssh:

I can't wait to throw a bunch of effort at these toxxes, some of these new ones sound stupid in the best possible way. Also, I've already been playing not-Bravely Default here to prepare!

Totally not-Bravely Default.

I think "Can't Run!" can be used for manipulating RNG but I don't remember if pausing does. I guess you could on non-SNES versions but you'd have to be psychic/reading values so it'd just be more randomness on a script w/o the benefits of the SNES version.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Doom Goon posted:

I think "Can't Run!" can be used for manipulating RNG but I don't remember if pausing does. I guess you could on non-SNES versions but you'd have to be psychic/reading values so it'd just be more randomness on a script w/o the benefits of the SNES version.

Pausing doesn't seem to, but I haven't tried running. I think it should manipulate it in fights where you can run since it needs to use a RNG value, I'll try to confirm if it does when you can't run.

So far my 4 Earthbreaker setup is about 1/3 of the way through, lowest I've gotten Omega with this one is 27,999 which is worse than the 2 Earthbreaker 2 Zombie setup despite the fact it seems like I get more swings in with this setup.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Pollyanna posted:

Oh man, please tell me there’s a comedy patch for the GBA version in this vein.

A patch that makes NPCs randomly tell you about hidden treasures would be pretty great.

"There are Cottages in Castle Tycoon."
"There's a Great Sword in the moat."
"There's a Hi-Potion and Dark Matter in the walls of the Island Shrine. (But why would you care?)"

Gotta get that 100% treasure rating somehow.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Pausing doesn't seem to, but I haven't tried running. I think it should manipulate it in fights where you can run since it needs to use a RNG value, I'll try to confirm if it does when you can't run.

So far my 4 Earthbreaker setup is about 1/3 of the way through, lowest I've gotten Omega with this one is 27,999 which is worse than the 2 Earthbreaker 2 Zombie setup despite the fact it seems like I get more swings in with this setup.

"Can't Run!" adds extra frames but the RNG counters don't increment during them. :negative:

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
So, after years of the Matrix version genuinely being the easiest to play, my friend bought me an old DS and the FFVA cart, so I'll be returning to the best version.

Still, I enjoyed the Matrix version more than I thought I would, and it was a genuine joy to discover new possibilities in such an otherwise week-documented game.

So here's my :toxx:

:toxx:I'll be donating $5 for every goon who posts a victory from the Matrix version (mobile or steam), up to a total if $50. :toxx:

I was additionally planning to throw in a bonus $10 :toxx: if any goon found something new to add to my not-fully-definitive version difference list, but considering Nasgate just casually dropped several new things I never knew about, I'll be donating that $10 in their name.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

Thief: Artful Dodger is really your only option here, mostly due to the fact that all the other passives are redundant by virtue of already having a thief in your party. Artful Dodger doesn't really do anything except give your Berserker the same Agility score as a Thief, which is arguably more useful in the versions where the ATB for Berserkers isn't buggy, but there are still plenty of better options out there.

Artful Dodger is actually a much bigger boost than it seems like. I forget the numbers offhand but it works out to be somewhere around a 20-30% boost to turns taken. Go stick it on a Berserker with a Cursed Ring and count the Death Sentence ticks and see for yourself.

Otherwise, I will second: A Brave Blade Berserker is wonderful.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
...alright, fine, I'll do it, but I'll be job-fairing to give myself a party that doesn't need to grind for much.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Ace Transmuter posted:

So, after years of the Matrix version genuinely being the easiest to play, my friend bought me an old DS and the FFVA cart, so I'll be returning to the best version.

Still, I enjoyed the Matrix version more than I thought I would, and it was a genuine joy to discover new possibilities in such an otherwise week-documented game.

So here's my :toxx:

:toxx:I'll be donating $5 for every goon who posts a victory from the Matrix version (mobile or steam), up to a total if $50. :toxx:

I was additionally planning to throw in a bonus $10 :toxx: if any goon found something new to add to my not-fully-definitive version difference list, but considering Nasgate just casually dropped several new things I never knew about, I'll be donating that $10 in their name.

Guess my goal is at least 10 runs just in case others can't handle the beautiful sprites

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

This setup finished, still didn't make any more progress though. But I had a dream last night that I was checking in on the progress and just happened to turn on my monitor on the run that killed Omega, so that's almost the same.

I've been messing around with no$gba's debugger to understand what's actually happening during the fight but it is slow going because a lot of unrelated stuff happens during the fight, but if I could figure out exactly which RNG values for each character result in a hit maybe that would help? If Omega and the party have a constant speed and I know which RNG values each character would need to land a hit it may be something where I can figure out optimal values without running through them all. That is very ambitious though considering I haven't really looked at assembly since college :v:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

So I finally came up with an idea for a :toxx:

I want new people to suffer for whenever I decide to make "art"

So I want you guys to encourage someone to play. Heck, even just get them to pre-register so that I can water the tree first.

1 buck per player who shows me a clean player page with 0's all the way down. Let's say a limit of 50. (e: 6/12 *squints at like 5 or however many pledged in the last week and the handful who said "this is my first fiesta in girl dick energy's lp" Fuckit, close enough)

First :toxx: pledge satisfied.

But wait, there's more!

10 bucks per new player who clears NED. Limit $250 (they don't need to be in the original 50, just someone who has a clear player page but a star on their 2021 run.)

e: Not limiting this to SA, so if you know anyone who just does twitter or whatever I'll honor them there as well. https://twitter.com/feyerbrandx/status/1399183494874648582

FeyerbrandX fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Jun 13, 2021

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

FeyerbrandX posted:

So I finally came up with an idea for a :toxx:

I want new people to suffer for whenever I decide to make "art"

So I want you guys to encourage someone to play. Heck, even just get them to pre-register so that I can water the tree first.

1 buck per player who shows me a clean player page with 0's all the way down. Let's say a limit of 50.

But wait, there's more!

10 bucks per new player who clears NED. Limit $250 (they don't need to be in the original 50, just someone who has a clear player page but a star on their 2021 run.)

I changed my Twitter handle last year and have been doing this since 2013 so this is just a technicality but I'll see you after my Triple Crown :getin:

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Oh no a dollar on a technicality!

I'm thinking of how to deal with a triple crown incentive too, but I'll cross that big bridge later.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

mp5 posted:

I changed my Twitter handle last year and have been doing this since 2013 so this is just a technicality but I'll see you after my Triple Crown :getin:

You can message RK to transfer your old runs over. After your dollar goes through.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

This setup finished, still didn't make any more progress though. But I had a dream last night that I was checking in on the progress and just happened to turn on my monitor on the run that killed Omega, so that's almost the same.

I've been messing around with no$gba's debugger to understand what's actually happening during the fight but it is slow going because a lot of unrelated stuff happens during the fight, but if I could figure out exactly which RNG values for each character result in a hit maybe that would help? If Omega and the party have a constant speed and I know which RNG values each character would need to land a hit it may be something where I can figure out optimal values without running through them all. That is very ambitious though considering I haven't really looked at assembly since college :v:

I can now manipulate what Omega is going to do for each of its RNG attacks, that was as simple as finding the right frame for when the game decides which attack is used and running through all the RNG options. Only one of the two RNG counters contributes to that and it is consistent throughout the fight. If I could eliminate the 4 player characters I could tell you exactly what Omega is going to do for each attack just based on the initial RNG seed.

The player attacks are a bit more complicated. The algorithms docs say that first there's a roll 0 to 99 to determine if the enemy evades, then there's another 0 to 99 roll to determine if your attack hits, followed by some more rolls for damage. It isn't clear how that's actual implemented, but it isn't by using the RNG counter separately for each value. A simplified truth table for what's happening is
code:
RNG1  RNG2  Hit/Miss
0     0     Miss
0     1     Hit
1     0     Hit
1     1     Miss
0,1 hitting implies that 0 would be a hit on Omega's evade% and 1 would be a hit on Butz's hit% and 1,0 hitting implies that 1 would be a hit on Omega's evade% and 0 would be a hit on Butz's hit%

So if they are two independent rolls then 0,0 and 1,1 should hit as well, but that's not the case.

Since it isn't the case, I mapped out all 65536 combinations for one of Butz's attacks and then mapped them out again for another of his attacks. Unfortunately, it wasn't as simple as Omega's attacks and the two sets of attacks didn't match up. I'm not sure whether I started the script on a different frame or if there is some other source of RNG here, but if I can just figure out this last bit of the RNG I think I could tell you exactly which attacks will happen and whether they hit given initial RNG value.

Unrelated fun fact that I've discovered: If you are paralyzed, asleep, or stopped your ATB counter doesn't change, but if you are stoned your ATB counter still changes but your turn is skipped.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I accidentally went to Crescent instead of Jarchol or whatever it's called. Am I boned out of those blue magic spells

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Rosalie_A posted:

Artful Dodger is actually a much bigger boost than it seems like. I forget the numbers offhand but it works out to be somewhere around a 20-30% boost to turns taken. Go stick it on a Berserker with a Cursed Ring and count the Death Sentence ticks and see for yourself.

Otherwise, I will second: A Brave Blade Berserker is wonderful.

The fastest thief with all the lightest or most agility boosting gear gets about 20% more turns than the slowest berserker with the heaviest gear possible.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Empress Brosephine posted:

I accidentally went to Crescent instead of Jarchol or whatever it's called. Am I boned out of those blue magic spells

Dunno which spells specifically you're referring to, but don't worry, you'll get your boat back later.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

dis astranagant posted:

The fastest thief with all the lightest or most agility boosting gear gets about 20% more turns than the slowest berserker with the heaviest gear possible.

Berserkers are also bugged and always go last in the first round, regardless of their Agility stat, which imo is one of their most annoying traits. That's one of the things the Matrix version fixed though, I believe.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There aren't any blue magic spells that you can permanently miss.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

There are no Blue Magic spells that are permanently missable, but some of them you can only get the second time through long after they're no longer useful.

Also, what the goon above said. Any loss of transportation is a temporary setback in this game.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ok co thanks

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Thinking of either job fairing Blue mage in a real early run if I don't get or doing a pre-fiesta run this week with Blu juest because I've been wanting for awhile to do a run where every boss is fought using the most obnoxious Blue Magic strat possible, but by the time I rolled Blu last year I was pretty burnt on doing more Fiesta.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Zerilan posted:

Thinking of either job fairing Blue mage in a real early run if I don't get or doing a pre-fiesta run this week with Blu juest because I've been wanting for awhile to do a run where every boss is fought using the most obnoxious Blue Magic strat possible, but by the time I rolled Blu last year I was pretty burnt on doing more Fiesta.

ArcheoAvis is the best, but you gotta get death claw.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

Berserkers are also bugged and always go last in the first round, regardless of their Agility stat, which imo is one of their most annoying traits. That's one of the things the Matrix version fixed though, I believe.

Sounds like another thing to add to that FFV GBA Multi Patcher!

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

ArcheoAvis is the best, but you gotta get death claw.

Yeah. Will probably try to video clip each successful boss kill, since I want to attempt some real galaxy brain stuff like dark shock/l2 old + l5 death on NED parts.

Evrart Claire fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jun 1, 2021

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Oh yeah, I lvl 2 olded meatdeath into death once and that poo poo is bonkers.

Like you count to 8 correctly in your head to trivialize one of the hardest bosses in the game.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I love FFV,but I never got terribly deep into it’s mechanics or anything. Is it worth reading up on Fiesta-adjacent material to get a better handle on what I can do, or should I just wing it?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Winging it's always fine although some combos can get kinda stonewalled at some bosses if you have a real low damage team (Byblos is a common world 1 wall for some teams). My main recommendation for resources is Enkibot, since you can filter out only the jobs you roll to keep from being overwhelmed by info that you might not need at the moment.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Seconding Enkibot, it's been really helpful in the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Bringing it back from the dead felt really good. :D