Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

the land segments also really suck and are too big and empty.
are they somehow worse than the first game’s?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Yes they suck bigly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

jesus WEP posted:

are they somehow worse than the first game’s?

well imagine the first game's land segments expanded without adding anything of interest. also designed to be a maze.

PIZZA.BAT posted:

yeah i think i'm getting close to the end and it's been pretty disappointing so far. agree with all of your points. the things they added to make it 'fresh' either aren't fun or are deliberately handicapped. like the snow speeder looked really cool but lol surprise it doesn't work over water for some reason? why??

it seems like they really couldn't decide what they wanted to do with this game besides make another one so all of the changes are just there for the sake of it. the one thing I DID like however was making the "seamoth" modular and upgradeable so it slowly and naturally turns into its own cyclops

but yeah 2.5/5 imo. it's worth checking out if you really enjoyed the original and just want more stuff to explore but don't expect too much out of it

the seatruck is kinda cool, but by the time you get all the modules you dont really need it.

also protip for surviving the land segments: the prawn w/ jump mod is so much better than the snow fox. you can jump and hit right/left and fuckin zoom across the map and the snow worms cant do poo poo to you.

i think if the snow segments were way more limited and they got rid of a bunch of the maziness and the snowfox and just made it a thing where you're surviving out there slowly exploring and expanding bases forward into colder areas that would have maybe worked better. the way it stands now you just kind of fly around with the prawn, scan the 1 or 2 things out there and thats it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

well imagine the first game's land segments expanded without adding anything of interest. also designed to be a maze.
wow that sounds lovely as hell lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
like in the first game the land elements were exciting because they were rare and it was kind of a relief to come across them after being in the water forever.

also i really cant understate how bad some of the hand holding is. like they still dont have a map because thats supposed to make things interesting, but from the start your computer is giving you way points and then once you meet some of the other characters they start giving you waypoints.

and i think the reason tehy did this is not just because they wanted to make it easier for folks who complained about it from the first game, but because alot of the poo poo you have to find is hidden away in tiny little corners. In the first one you were exploring downwards and the new things that you found were new resources and new entrances to lower levels, rather than a thing sitting in a little alcove that looks identical to 50 others. when you needed to find certain alien things you could find them from exploring or by reading poo poo that suggested their existence rather than an alien calling you and telling you where to go. (thats not a joke thats how it works).

Shaggar fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 1, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

yeah when it started vomiting waypoints at me was when i started losing my patience with it. like i'm still going to finish it because it's still fun but the whole point is exploration and it's not exploring if they're just telling you where to go. it's frustrating too because the one time i hit the thing i knew from the first game, 'oh look it's a huge drop off a bit of a distance from my starting point and i just got some depth upgrades, let's see what's down here!' the game just straight up punishes you because surprise that's actually the edge of the map. all the points of interest are tiny crevices that are easy as hell to miss on a map that's about 1/4 of the size as the first one. so the only way to organically discover things is to pour over every square inch of the map which is basically impossible in the underwater caves as they're just straight up mazes. so then the game just rolls its eyes and gives you waypoints and ugh.... come on

it's disappointing because it points to the developers not understanding why the first game was so good

edit: what's even better is sometimes it doesn't give you the waypoints either! like i'd spent about five hours over the weekend cruising around trying to find *something* that would give me a lead as to where to go and i eventually gave up and consulted a wiki to see what i was missing. surprise surprise, it's through another easy to miss crevice that you're given zero indication you should be even looking for. Marguerit's underwater base

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 1, 2021

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I skipped ahead on some bits and now am at 2/3 parts of the mobile vehicle bay and have been searching for the third part for over 2 hours now even though I should have had it about 3 hours ago. frustrating.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

man you guys seem pretty salty about the game. dang. i thought it was pretty good.

it does feel smaller than the first one, yeah, but i think some of that can be chalked up to already knowing how every mechanic works. the main simplifications they've made are the voiced story obviously and the reduced blueprint scanning.

lol @ complaining that there are too many waypoints and then that you can't find maida's base. if you follow the beacon that says "pilot's last detected location" it's literally in a straight line from there, yes inside a cave but it's not hard to find

i did end up doing some parts out of order and completed the sister storyline much earlier than expected, even before finding marguerit's greenhouse or outpost zero but idk, it still worked out all right. the only immersive sim game i've ever seen that has a plan for literally everything the player can do is deus ex.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 1, 2021

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

i'd gone into the caves under the spaceship multiple times but each time i zigged instead of zagging. at that point i could see that i'd already scanned the sea monkey nests and would just turn around and leave. it doesn't have any of the areas where it will funnel you into where it wants you to go next, instead giving you a twisty maze where if you get turned around at any point it becomes very easy to miss the one turn they actually expected you to make.

i would have been ok with the more complicated cave systems if they'd given you a more convenient way to keep track of where you have and haven't been that didn't involve creating hundreds of beacons

Sagebrush posted:

i did end up doing some parts out of order and completed the sister storyline much earlier than expected, even before finding marguerit's greenhouse or outpost zero but idk, it still worked out all right. the only immersive sim game i've ever seen that has a plan for literally everything the player can do is deus ex.

yeah i did this as well. it's part of the problem of trying to introduce more narrative to a game like this. it's going to be very easy for the player to do things out of order and when that inevitably happens they're going to be taken out of the moment

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 1, 2021

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theres a tool to create breadcrumbs for back tracking but i didnt create it because inventory space is already at a premium

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

They should have merged some tools together for late game. Make me a repair tool with a laser cutter built in. The scan tool can include waypoint markers and a flashlight. I never used the mineral detector, the flashlight, the breadcrumber, the physics thing or the teleport tool. I didn't mind lugging all that stuff around in the cyclops but the seatruck is far more limited and even with the cargo module it still can't haul poo poo.

It felt more like an expansion than a sequel. I did use the snow fox but it wasn't fun to drive and I just wanted the on land parts to be over. I also never found the avalanched base until the breadcrumb at the end of the game led me there even though you started the game there originally in early access. I spent less time discovering stuff and more time hopping between waypoints than the first game, even though there was less space to explore in general. It wasn't a bad game but it wasn't near as fun as the original.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Shaggar posted:

theres a tool to create breadcrumbs for back tracking but i didnt create it because inventory space is already at a premium

yeah the problem isn't backtracking necessarily- i never really had a problem with that. the problem is knowing which caves still have more to them if you keep looking vs which ones are dead ends. the first subnautica handled this by having everything funnel into the end game if you went deep enough. it didn't matter which direction you came from. this one has tons and tons of dead ends and also game progressing caves which look exactly like dead ends

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK
I'm getting my money's worth, but I wish the PS4 version was more stable. The crashes are making me tolerate the pop-in less. I love the PDA voice, though. I wish they'd gone harder on the advertising slogans, though.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I'm bouncing off Darkest Dungeons pretty hard. I like the tone/theme but I'm have a really hard time enjoying core mechanic ("grind furiously in order to die slightly slower") and, while I understand that this is the whole game in a nutshell (and I even like the idea), I'm finding it militantly un-fun to actually play.

:shrug:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
my ps5 is here and installing stuff, woot

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Schadenboner posted:

I'm bouncing off Darkest Dungeons pretty hard. I like the tone/theme but I'm have a really hard time enjoying core mechanic ("grind furiously in order to die slightly slower") and, while I understand that this is the whole game in a nutshell (and I even like the idea), I'm finding it militantly un-fun to actually play.

:shrug:

this is a game i did not enjoy for all of these reasons

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

yeah, I’ve tried darkest dungeon a good half-dozen times and have bounced off it every time for all of the reasons listed above

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
it took a little while but im very into subnautica 1 now. glad i didnt jump straight into 2, it sounds like it replaces the thrill of exploration with a tedious box ticking exercise

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
still a little peeved that i lost my seamoth after grounding it on a shore while i went for a wander only to find on my return that it was now buried and inaccessible

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I lost my first seamoth by parking it a couple of meters above crush depth and when I came back it was in pieces

might have been a bug but I choose to believe something big came along and pushed it down

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

it took a little while but im very into subnautica 1 now. glad i didnt jump straight into 2, it sounds like it replaces the thrill of exploration with a tedious box ticking exercise

yeah it could have been a lot better. i'm having some fun with it and have had some exciting finds, but it feels like a lot of the time i'm just puttering around in circles in the seatruck over the same terrain trying to find a cave somewhere. it took me forever to find one land area until i stumbled on a crack in some glacier.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

subnautica was going ok for me but then one of those fanged eels spawned directly below the escape pod and hosed me up everytime i came or went so i stopped playing

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

haveblue posted:

I lost my first seamoth by parking it a couple of meters above crush depth and when I came back it was in pieces

might have been a bug but I choose to believe something big came along and pushed it down

IIRC your vehicles retain a bit of momentum if you're not careful when exiting. I lost a 'moth that way, too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i got eaten by a spiky trap while carrying a beacon and now my game has a beacon permanently stuck 6 feet under the sea floor inside the spiky trap's "stomach"

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao owned. atleast you can turn it off in the PDA.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

i got eaten by a spiky trap while carrying a beacon and now my game has a beacon permanently stuck 6 feet under the sea floor inside the spiky trap's "stomach"

:kimchi:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
i'm still plugging away at bl3 and the ice-t cameo was appreciated and might be the genuinely funniest stuff in the game so far

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNTbJ6fWV2I

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

I can't stay mad at you because the Yakuza series is so good

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lol why are you even mad at me in the first place

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

if ur mad at smoka ur a cop

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cat Face Joe posted:

You're coming with me.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Cat Face Joe posted:

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Cat Face Joe posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yhe7rcDUTeI

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

just bought slipways and trying it out. pretty decent little puzzler, a bit limited in scope, probably will keep playing it for an hour here and there

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/1400134437581606916

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

ffffffff

Sagebrush