Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

zedprime posted:

It is salesman BS +- what trim you were looking at but Mazda is in a good place coming up in the market from good import to luxury import and so their dealerships tend to not play negotiation games lately even outside weird inventory stuff from what I've researched.

Had a friend just buy a CX-5 Carbon Turbo yesterday. I didn't ask yet, but I can drat near guarantee you he paid MSRP or at the most got $900 off that they made up for with the Mazda 3 he traded in. I'm sure they somehow ate the ($750?) loyalty money.

This isn't because he doesn't know how to negotiate. The $31k MSRP is a rounding error for him on daily deals/spend/negotiations at work. This is just the new normal, especially for a trim package like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Motronic posted:

Had a friend just buy a CX-5 Carbon Turbo yesterday. I didn't ask yet, but I can drat near guarantee you he paid MSRP or at the most got $900 off that they made up for with the Mazda 3 he traded in. I'm sure they somehow ate the ($750?) loyalty money.

This isn't because he doesn't know how to negotiate. The $31k MSRP is a rounding error for him on daily deals/spend/negotiations at work. This is just the new normal, especially for a trim package like that.
IIRC there's no dealer rebates even (besides loyalty cash) on the turbo CX-3 and CX-5 trims because they know they have a captive audience for CUV-go-fast. Non turbos were running $500 cash back and $500 if financed through Mazda and that was the only movement on MSRP when I got mine a month ago besides what felt like a professional courtesy for an insulting first trade in offer. I've been watching their inventory for my own edification and they don't have my trim+option on the lot any more :suspense:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Is there any point to buying AWD for a compact SUV? It's just worse gas mileage and more tire rotating, right?

I live in the mid-Atlantic so it rarely snows worth a drat, but these dealers have 10 AWD vehicles in stock for every 1 FWD.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Anything higher trim seems to come AWD standard, otherwise, no. As long as your tires are good (and if your tires are bad, you're not going to stop, anyway).

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Chad Sexington posted:

Is there any point to buying AWD for a compact SUV? It's just worse gas mileage and more tire rotating, right?

Living in WA/OR/CA and wanting to go skiing without having to chain up, since AWD and all seasons == no chains in most conditions, whereas FWD and snow tires - even though it most likely will give you better traction and control - means needing to throw on chains (and remove them on the other side of the pass), adding hours to your Tahoe weekend trip.

quote:

I live in the mid-Atlantic so it rarely snows worth a drat, but these dealers have 10 AWD vehicles in stock for every 1 FWD.

... yeah I have no idea

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
If its not trim/option interlock then its people in the inbetween climates are big babies that can be upsold into an AWD with the threat of a snowflake ruining rush hour.

But like the aforementioned Mazda turbos only come in AWD because they presumably didn't want to engineer how to get 230-250 hp out of the front comfortably.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Ha, when the Speed3 came out, there was a big PR push about the new steering geometry Mazda came up with to handle the 225 hp (I think?) in a FWD car.

Ganon
May 24, 2003

zedprime posted:

If its not trim/option interlock then its people in the inbetween climates are big babies that can be upsold into an AWD with the threat of a snowflake ruining rush hour.

But like the aforementioned Mazda turbos only come in AWD because they presumably didn't want to engineer how to get 230-250 hp out of the front comfortably.

Looks like starting in 2021 you can now get a CX-5 Turbo in FWD, only with the Carbon trim that offers both - https://www.mazdaofpalmbeach.com/inventory/new-2021-mazda-cx-5-carbon-edition-turbo-fwd-4d-sport-utility-jm3kfacy1m0394412

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Our family size is growing and we need to fit 3 adults (normally 2 but sometimes grandma visits) plus 3 car seats. Could use a recommendation on where to start looking. The Kia Sorento looks good on paper but we’re trying to get a short list of alternatives so we can start visiting dealerships, to compare in real life.

Proposed Budget: ~$30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Mini Van, SUV, crossover, doesn’t matter too much as long as I can fit 3 carseats and 3 adults reasonably comfortably
How will you be using the car?: Haul kids around.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Safety features are important. The ability to stream kid music from our phones is important. Other than that don’t care.
What aspects are most important to you?: Safe. Reliable. Low cost of ownership.
Other info: We live in a hot and dry climate if that makes a difference.

nelson fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 31, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enjoy your new (base model) Toyota Sienna.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 30, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There should really be a "Which Toyota should you buy?" checklist in the OP.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Motronic posted:

Enjoy your new (base model) Toyota Sienna.

I'm also looking at vans. We went to the Toyota dealership and the sales guy just said, "We sold our last Sienna. Sorry, wish I could help you."

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

Honda Odyssey, Toyota Sienna, or Chrysler Pacifica. I was in the same situation. You want to prioritize a minivan. Those fit three car seats comfortably and allows you to bring another adult or two in a pinch.

Kia Telluride or Hyundai Palisade for third-row SUVs. However, you have to use the third row for the third car seat and that third row can fit an adult human, but I don't know for long car trips.

Honda Pilot will fit three car seats, but the adult in the back might hate you on longer car rides.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

I'm also looking at vans. We went to the Toyota dealership and the sales guy just said, "We sold our last Sienna. Sorry, wish I could help you."

Yes, it is in fact a VERY bad time to be buying a new or used car. Be sure you need one and can pay the premium for something that may not even be your first or second choice to do so if you're shopping now.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

nelson posted:

Our family size is growing and we need to fit 3 adults (normally 2 but sometimes grandma visits) plus 3 car seats. Could use a recommendation on where to start looking. The Kia Sorento looks good on paper but we’re trying to get a short list of alternatives so we can start visiting dealerships, to compare in real life.

Proposed Budget: ~$30k
New or Used: New
Body Style: Mini Van, SUV, crossover, doesn’t matter too much as long as I can fit 3 carseats and 3 adults reasonably comfortably
How will you be using the car?: Haul kids around.
Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos?): Safety features are important. The ability to stream kid music from our phones is important. Other than that don’t care.
What aspects are most important to you?: Safe. Reliable. Low cost of ownership.
Other info: We live in a hot and dry climate if that makes a difference.

I strongly recommend a 2016/2017 CPO Honda odyssey. The most recent model refresh last i checked only has a single ac wheres the 2016/2017 has two ac. This is important to get the cool air to blow down into the car seat instead of trying to work its way around it. For that price you should be able to get a ex-l touring so you have a nicer rear tv if kids aren’t fully on tablets yet.

I would plan to pull one of the 2nd row seats out and have 2 car seats in the middle one in the back. The third adult can sit with the one in the third row and have fun with the kid back there.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Motronic posted:

Yes, it is in fact a VERY bad time to be buying a new or used car. Be sure you need one and can pay the premium for something that may not even be your first or second choice to do so if you're shopping now.

I'm thinking of buying a new car but I could wait - how long will it take for the market to cool down you think? I'm thinking a new or slightly used hybrid (prius or elantra) and I can afford $25k, give or take.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm thinking of buying a new car but I could wait - how long will it take for the market to cool down you think? I'm thinking a new or slightly used hybrid (prius or elantra) and I can afford $25k, give or take.

How long for things to go back to normal in the new market? A year, at least. Used market, who the hell knows.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

How long for things to go back to normal in the new market? A year, at least. Used market, who the hell knows.

Agreed on "this is crystal ball poo poo, who knows" and also the MY2021 is hosed for new cars. Just hope it doesn't extend into 2022.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

im paying mrsp for my tacoma but that msrp is $3k more than last year lol

there's people talking about paying 5-10k over the new msrp for on the lot trucks in california

my crystal has been telling me while deals below mrsp will eventually be had again, the auto industry is planning on keeping their inflated prices (on new vehicles) and letting that be the new baseline. 30k is the new 20k

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

my crystal has been telling me while deals will eventually be had again, the auto industryeveryone selling anything is planning on keeping their inflated prices and letting that be the new baseline

Fixed that up for you.

It happens all the time. It doesn't always work. Gas is the most obvious example.

But most people are morons and shop on monthly payment, so the auto industry will probably get away with it by having the manufacturer finance divisions start offering 120 month loans.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Motronic posted:

Fixed that up for you.

It happens all the time. It doesn't always work. Gas is the most obvious example.

But most people are morons and shop on monthly payment, so the auto industry will probably get away with it by having the manufacturer finance divisions start offering 120 month loans.

yeah

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
yeah well is carvana's value for my trade also going to fall off a cliff if I wait though

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
How much does the thread think resale would be affected if the VIN contains the word "FART?"

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

How much does the thread think resale would be affected if the VIN contains the word "FART?"

+$69

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

+$69,420

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
So it finally happened, the rear control arm fell off my 2007 Murano and the mechanic says it will be a $2000+ repair to replace the whole read assembly. Time for a used piece of poo poo car to tide me over for my commute the next couple years. I hear the used car market is bad, hopefully not as bad in my state, SC.

Proposed Budget: 3-4k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: no pref, just me
How will you be using the car?: Work commute

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliable. Low cost of ownership.

I know nex tto nothing about cars. What makes/models/years should I keep my eye out for on the internet?

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

At that budget in this market anything you can get your hands on, sorry.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

At that budget in this market anything you can get your hands on, sorry.

To make this less of a shitpost I checked Autotrader for $4k max: 50 mi from Columbia SC and found five cars, all ~20 years old and ~200k miles. Of those, go with the honda or toyota.

Private party craigslist / fb is probably more promising.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

PCjr sidecar posted:

To make this less of a shitpost I checked Autotrader for $4k max: 50 mi from Columbia SC and found five cars, all ~20 years old and ~200k miles. Of those, go with the honda or toyota.

Private party craigslist / fb is probably more promising.

Do you have any friends who do auto maintenance who could help you out when checking out? In a normal market I’d recommend a pre-purchase inspection but anything reasonably priced is turning over quickly that getting an inspection scheduled is difficult.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
A private owner that has receipts of work done would mean more than almost any kind of car; this may really be a time to post a bit in AI and get some help actually looking through what adds are in your area, I'm sure lots of people there would help you make the best of the choices available to you.

Also, probably make sure you set aside a chunk of that budget to just fix something a few months down the road.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
In general I’d rather spend 2k on a repair for a known car than spend 4K on rolling the dice on something just as cheap and unknown.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I didn't even think to point that out but yeah, your current car is the only one you can be really sure of, in terms of history.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

So it finally happened, the rear control arm fell off my 2007 Murano and the mechanic says it will be a $2000+ repair to replace the whole read assembly. Time for a used piece of poo poo car to tide me over for my commute the next couple years. I hear the used car market is bad, hopefully not as bad in my state, SC.

Proposed Budget: 3-4k
New or Used: Used
Body Style: no pref, just me
How will you be using the car?: Work commute

What aspects are most important to you?: Reliable. Low cost of ownership.

I know nex tto nothing about cars. What makes/models/years should I keep my eye out for on the internet?

How many miles are on the Murano? Are there any other things that you know is wrong with it? Does it need tires, does it make any weird noises? Do you change the oil on time/regularly?

Because if it's otherwise in relatively good condition it's likely better to fix it than buy some unknown piece of poo poo (and in that price range it will be) in the current market. You probably couldn't buy your vehicle in repaired condition for under $4k.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Motronic posted:

How many miles are on the Murano? Are there any other things that you know is wrong with it? Does it need tires, does it make any weird noises? Do you change the oil on time/regularly?

Because if it's otherwise in relatively good condition it's likely better to fix it than buy some unknown piece of poo poo (and in that price range it will be) in the current market. You probably couldn't buy your vehicle in repaired condition for under $4k.

It's right around 200k miles, the control arm being hosed then hosed up the back left tire but the other tires are relatively new. I'm bad at changing the oil regularly but also these last couple years I didnt drive it much and mostly bike commuted. The belts mae bad noises sometimes when its really cold out before they warm out.

I'm moving to a new city for a job in two months and thats when I really need a car. I am an a position to bike commute until then.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

It's right around 200k miles, the control arm being hosed then hosed up the back left tire but the other tires are relatively new. I'm bad at changing the oil regularly but also these last couple years I didnt drive it much and mostly bike commuted. The belts mae bad noises sometimes when its really cold out before they warm out.

I'm moving to a new city for a job in two months and thats when I really need a car. I am an a position to bike commute until then.

I think I'd ask your mechanic what they think it would take to get this thing fixed, perhaps with used parts if possible, and back into good working order. If that's under $4k it's going to be a much better deal buying an unknown $4k car in this market.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Does the new city have public transportation?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

nelson posted:

Does the new city have public transportation?

No, not at all.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Motronic posted:

I think I'd ask your mechanic what they think it would take to get this thing fixed, perhaps with used parts if possible, and back into good working order. If that's under $4k it's going to be a much better deal buying an unknown $4k car in this market.

The second question I'd have is whether it has a CVT or a real automatic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Motronic posted:

The only way I'd disagree here is if the reason for the original failure is rampant rust. If the undercarriage is so rotten that major suspension assemblies are falling off, that poo poo's destined for the scrapyard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

The only way I'd disagree here is if the reason for the original failure is rampant rust. If the undercarriage is so rotten that major suspension assemblies are falling off, that poo poo's destined for the scrapyard.

100%

Or if it has a CVT.