Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Endorph posted:

uma musume season 2 is actually very good.

that said cygames mobage bribery blurays feel a bit like cheating.

I generally don't care about sports anime. Is it still worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I didn't care about Sports Anime at all until I watched Uma Musume, now I'll watch one if it catches my interest.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Nitrousoxide posted:

Most definitely.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Yeah Uma Musume 2 works as a character drama and comedy in addition to being a sports anime.

It's tied with Yurucamp as my favorite sequel series of the year

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Nitrousoxide posted:

It doesn't quite reach the GuP heights that I feel I was led to believe it was like in terms of goofy fun sports anime but I enjoyed the second season quite a bit and will definitely watch any future projects because of it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Kwyndig posted:

I didn't care about Sports Anime at all until I watched Uma Musume, now I'll watch one if it catches my interest.

I recommend Hanebado and Harukana Receive if you want more good sports anime.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

chumbler posted:

I recommend Hanebado and Harukana Receive if you want more good sports anime.

I've actually seen both of those already and I enjoyed them. Hanebado especially.

Not much happened in this week's Saint's. We settled the "What's going to happen to Aira?" question pretty definitively, she's going to be taken care of by Elizabeth and a different Prince who isn't insistent that she's the Saint despite all evidence to the contrary. Meanwhile Sei keeps having scenes with Captain (excuse me, Commander) Love Interest that don't go anywhere because she won't be honest about her feelings. Smooch him already!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Davincie posted:

Congrats to uma musume season two’s first bluray with becoming the second best selling anime of all time, beating evangelion, bakemonogatari and madoka. Only the invincible Golden Eggs still reigns at number 1

Looking up the numbers, the only series that still has it beat is Gundam Unicorn. And Gundam Unicorn was a slow build OVA, "only" selling 85K in its opening week.

This looks like a pretty impressive exception to the general trend for DVD and Blu-Ray sales lately. Wonder how Demon Slayer Season 2 sales will compare.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
worth noting that past shows' sales figures being compared in all the figures i see are average per volume, not total. uma musume s2 is just on volume 1 preorders right now, so the numbers aren't quite official even if its probably going to be insane. still, its going to be the best-selling anime where money didn't just disappear up sony's rear end or everyone gainax owed money. [someone makes a yakuza joke here]

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
How many of Gainax's IP's have gone to either Khara or Trigger?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Space Flower posted:

worth noting that past shows' sales figures being compared in all the figures i see are average per volume, not total. uma musume s2 is just on volume 1 preorders right now, so the numbers aren't quite official even if its probably going to be insane. still, its going to be the best-selling anime where money didn't just disappear up sony's rear end or everyone gainax owed money. [someone makes a yakuza joke here]

tha'ts why i said first bluray specifically!

i don't see the unicorn numbers anywhere tho

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wark Say posted:

I think Gainax still has Gun/Diebuster? Not sure about anything else.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Don't Khara and Trigger basically own Gainax now?

http://www.gainax.co.jp/wp/archives/post-6887/

The current CEO of Gainax is Yasuhiro Kamimura, who did key animation on the original EVA TV series, digital work on the Rebuild movies, and is also the CEO of Groundworks. Groundworks is a shell company Khara set up exclusively to handle EVA's IP. Yoshiki Usa, who's a producer on most everything Trigger's made, is the VP. They're both still involved with their respective studios, Usa has a Producer/Planning credit on Dynazenon right now, so it seems like, while Gainax still owns those IPs on paper, Trigger and Khara would have such power over it that they could sign off on anything either of them wanted to do with it. The only difficulty would be that both Khara and Trigger would have to agree to something, but Khara isn't in the business of TV anime so they don't seem like they'd step on each other's toes.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Huh! That's good, then.

Holy poo poo, a loving year and a half has come and gone since that whole fiasco with the previous guy. They sorted that poo poo rather fast, tho'!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh, they figured out all the stuff with gainax trying to sequester away the licenses to prevent them from being acquired by trigger or whatever? That's cool, that sounded real hosed up when it came up in the news.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
poo poo, is it new season time already? Bunch stuff popped on my streaming app pages that look new.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

not really? we're in week 9 of 13 for spring shows

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

If you can believe it they've actually sped things up quite a bit, the first handful of chapters were much more maudlin and understated (a lot like the authors' previous work Kuro) where the setting was even more inscrutable and mysterious as you slowly learned things through Emilico's eyes. The current story in the anime was indeed supposed to be a bit of a watershed moment so I can understand why they tried to make sure to get it in but it is a bit of a shame because I did like those early stories.

Yeah, that's the big thing about the series that makes it a big difficult. The original manga is even more atmospheric and more a of a slower burn as it takes its time filling in the basics of the setting without setting up much mystery. The part where they spend hunting for the ghost is really the first time they alluded to something deeper and darker in the background iirc but it's still way way in the back. It's after this that the first shoe actually drops where we get an idea of the actual low key horror of the setting begins to emerge and the other shoe drops not too long after. But right now, it could very well turn out to be a superpowered battle shonen type series where people have soot-based powers with a Victorian setting instead of what it turns out being.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

instead of what it turns out being.

Which is kind of like (comparison to another anime/manga) the first part of The Promised Neverland

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

FilthyImp posted:

poo poo, is it new season time already? Bunch stuff popped on my streaming app pages that look new.

We're still 4-5 weeks out from the new season, and I'll try to get the next season thread up in 2-3 weeks

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
^^^
Yes, AniChart now defaults to Summer, so time to start thinking of what comes in July.

Just a reminder that "Super Cub" is one of the most underrated anime series this Spring, and it deserves any accolades it gets.

Windshields, man. WINDSHIELDS!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Waiting for Shii to join the gang with her own Cub

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
The Shirobako movie is finally getting a U.S. theater screening this August
https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2021/06/02-1/shirobako-the-movie-to-hit-north-american-theaters-on-august-10

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

God, the facial expressions in Nagatoro are the best. Is she a cat or an octopus? An ocatopus?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Coxswain Balls posted:

God, the facial expressions in Nagatoro are the best. Is she a cat or an octopus? An ocatopus?

A wiggly cat.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Doodles posted:

^^^
Yes, AniChart now defaults to Summer, so time to start thinking of what comes in July.

Just a reminder that "Super Cub" is one of the most underrated anime series this Spring, and it deserves any accolades it gets.

I think that's what they were talking about in the beginning that was uncool

Never mind, I finished the show. :D

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 3, 2021

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Coxswain Balls posted:

A wiggly demon cat.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I've watched 8 eps of uma musume s2 and it's... okay, speaking as someone who did not watch s1 or play the mobage. The eps flip between side characters so often it's hard to remember their names sometimes, let alone get invested in any of their stories, and nothing in it really stands out from any other typical sports show. The CGI races look quite bad sometimes but that's not really something I fault a show for.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
nagatoro is a noodly feline

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

jahy seems cuter

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Doodles posted:

^^^

How can this girl ride around at near freezing temps in a skirt. She’s the real iron-blooded orphan.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nitrousoxide posted:

How can this girl ride around at near freezing temps in a skirt. She’s the real iron-blooded orphan.

Sounds like you answered your own question there.

Nanomachines.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Nitrousoxide posted:

IIRC this is actually a thing in Japan that you get used to.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Nitrousoxide posted:

Based on the title of the next episode, they might get lap skirts for their bikes next, well that would work on the Cub with the leg shields, not the CT110.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Wark Say posted:

Most definitely.

Okay, I will admit, this gave me a good sensible chuckle.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Watched EDEN on Netflix and it's aggressively okay. It's nothing that hasn't been done a bunch of time before in post-apocalypse paradise stories, but the CGI animation's decent enough (and thankfully not the arbitrarily-choppy kind) and there are worse ways to kill two hours. The dub cast has some surprisingly big names too, I wasn't expecting to hear David Tennant's voice out of a robot.

I presume the answer is "Netflix binge model", but I really don't get why this couldn't have just been a movie when it's just 4 half-hour episodes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sailor Moon Eternal was fun.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUuxTf8Dom8

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dynazenon just had it's equivalent episode to Gridman's ep 9 aka the best episode of anime that year and it was amazing as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Lmao spider really did it the crazy bastards.